IGNORED

Techlusion & surging

RussellB

Hello and welcome!

Did you notice any improvement with the Techlusion compared to the CO pot?

I have the same Techlusion unit on my 99RT and it works very well. I sometimes wonder if the factory CO pot would have done just as well.

Hi,

As mentioned at first I was not overwhelmed by the effect of the Techlusion over the standard bike with CO trim pot. I don't know whether this caused by my (too) high expectations or just because my bike was already equipped with a CO trim pot. Maybe somebody on the board knows in what rev range the CO trim pot is active and to what extend?

Now that I have the Techlusion and Denso's the effect over de bike with CO trim pot and Denso's is overwhelming. Not only the surging seems to be fully gone but also the acceleration seems to have benefit from this. Of course this is all purely subjective but it works for me!

Do you use the settings as advised by Techlusion for your (further standard?) bike?

What mileage do you get with the Techlusion and what did you get with the standard bike?

Martijn

Good afternoon,

After reading along for a while now in this discussion board and being very intrigued by the surging phenomenon I thought it was about time to make a contribution in the form of my experiences.

But first of all let me introduce myself.

My name is Martijn, I live in the Netherlands and my bike is a 1997 R1100RS. Previously I have owned a R1100RT hich I sold to buy my current bike.

In several discussion boards a ‘perfect’ tuned (valve adjustment and TBS) bike is considered to be the foremost condition for having a surge free ride. When this is covered all thinkeable gadgets should be obsolete.

When we accept however that the root cause of surging is an overlean mixture, causing misfires, than that is the parameter to tweak for me. Having said this I am not claiming that good tuning is not important, in contrary, but for my riding pleasure I don’t want to depend on a state of tuning that should be perfect but might be all but perfect 1.000 km’s after tuning.

To make a long story short: I want my bike to be robust against surging, therefore I want to influence the root cause.

With my previous and my current bike I have taken quite some effort to understand the phenomenon and to try out cures for it. The downside of this is that because of the effort I have taken I am getting more critical and sensitive for surging with the risk that it will become an obsession for me. smirk.gif

As mentioned my previous bike was a 1997 R1100RT with a closed loop emission control system (lambda-sonde) and quite serious surging.

The first thing that was done with this bike was pulling the CCPand installing a CO trim pot (BMW part # 13621461425) making it an open loop emission control system. In various previous postings pulling the CCP was advised but I did not read anything about installing the CO trim pot. As far as I know the wiring looms of all 1100’s are prepared to take a CO trim pot. Is there a specific reason not install this trim pot? On what CO percentage will the bike run when the CCP is pulled and no CO trim pot is installed?

The CO percentage on my R1100RT was set at 2,5% curing almost all of the surging.

After a whilethrough Ebay I got hold of a Wunderlich/BB-power chip which should cure all surging by supplying a richer mixture. This again made some improvement but still did not cure all surging. On top of the chip and out of curiosity I then installed Denso iridium plugs because there should not only be sufficient fuel, it should al be used as well. Something of which the standard dual electrode Bosch sprak plugs are not capable in my opinion and experience.

Besides the cost (although this might pay back in greater durability) the other donwside of using Denso iridium plugs is the fact that BMW advises against using ‘conventional’ single electrode design spark plugs.

Are any engine failures (falling off of ground electrodes) due to this ‘conventional’ design sprak plugs known in this board?

With this latest configuration the bike rode very well and without virtually no surging. And then it was time to sell the bike as I wanted something with less weight and therefore easier-to-handle.

Then came the 1997 R1100RS with open loop emmision control system (without lambda-sonde, but with CO trim pot). From the start this bike did well regarding surging and I decided to keep it standard for as long as possible. This was possible until I read something about the Techlusion fuel kits. After reading as much about them as possible I decided to order a FI1031. After installation and tuning at first I was not overwhelmed by the effect of the Techlusion unit not even after tuning on a dyno. This might be caused by the fact that my bike already hat an open loop emission control system making the advantage of the Techlusion relatively small.

Just recently I also installed Denso iridiums and after (too little) kilometers I am tempted to say that this is the bike I have always wanted to have. My guess is that with the Denso’s the bike is taking full advantage of the extra fuel the Techlusion unit offers; not only during mid RPM steady state cruising but also under acceleration. I don’t know yet what the fuel economy penalty is going to be but I think it won’t be significant as this wasn’t the case when I did not have the Denso’s.

Unless I start to take full advantage of the better driveability of course.

Hopefully I have added something usefull to this subject. Should any body have any question or remarks I am very interested.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Martijn

Martijn, you don’t hear much about the Co. pot because most people in the USA just pull the CCP & ride..

The Co. pot is ONLY for idle mixture Co. tuning & has no real effect on anything much above idle..

Installing & setting the Co. pot should help to keep the idle emissions low.. At the time (1100 era) probably would meet most countries idle Co. limits except USA) .. The second reason is to protect the Cat. Converter at idle.. Usually the Cat doesn’t run hot enough at no load idle to keep itself burned clean but as of yet I haven’t heard of any Cat’s plugging due rich (no CCP) or (no Co pot.) idle .. They could be failing emission removal function but at least not plugging..

Twisty

Archived