IGNORED

The Value of Money

smiller

Would you agree to never ride a motorcycle again in exchange for one million dollars?  

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For a million dollars, hell yes ! Not to ride Rob Schneider's coat tails, but there's lots of things I'd do for a million dollars, make love to Rosanne Barr for a million, OK.

Wooster who can be had but he isn't cheap

In hind site, I see the gist of this poll isn't "what would you do for a million" but "what wouldn't you do". Well, I haven't come close to intimacy with Ms Barr so I'm hoping the check is in the mail.

wrestleantares

I thought for quite awhile before answering. I measured the pros and cons. There were more than what followed, but this pretty much sums it up.

The pro:

It would help me be able to do certain things in life that I plan earlier.

The con:

One of those things is being able to ride more.

ShovelStrokeEd

A million ain't what it used to be, but it would probably last me the 20 or so years I have left. I figure I only will be able to ride for about 10 more years anyway. I would miss it, as it (riding) has been a major portion of my life but there are other things.

Lessee, 100K for a somewhat decent sail boat, liquidate all my other stuff, I could probably support both the boat and myself for as long as I remained healthy and just bum around the Gulf and the Islands till I can't do it any more.

wrestleantares
A million ain't what it used to be, but it would probably last me the 20 or so years I have left. I figure I only will be able to ride for about 10 more years anyway. I would miss it, as it (riding) has been a major portion of my life but there are other things.

Lessee, 100K for a somewhat decent sail boat, liquidate all my other stuff, I could probably support both the boat and myself for as long as I remained healthy and just bum around the Gulf and the Islands till I can't do it any more.

Excellent point. I'm in my 30's and looking at 30+ more years of riding. Where you are at in life could certainly determine how important this money is to you.

I'm glad I don't actually have to make that choice. Hard as it was I answered yes, pretty much for the same reasons as Ed and with the same regrets. It would be a huge hole in my life for sure but I think I could substitute by buying a nice Jeep (type thing), can I ride an ATV? Never having to go to work again would be worth it, I can enjoy the outdoors, which is mostly what I do with my bikes, without a bike if I must. How about half a mil and I only ride 6 months a year? grin.gif

Here is what I would spend the first $200k on, given that I could OWN motorcycles but not ride them:

crocker_pop.jpg

1941 Crocker

and the next $75k or so:

Vincent_Blk_Lightning.jpg

and the rest I would waste on this:

N25485_Arlington_2001_lfq.jpg

Easy choice: NO WAY!

Quality of life is too important. A million ain't what it used to be.

Live to ride: Ride to live!

Now if it was 40 million... clap.gif

As already noted, a million bucks ain't what it used to be. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure I'd go for the money. Whilst seeing to my other financial concerns, I'd drop some of the million on something like this:

side.jpg

and proceed happily on my way.

Is motorcyling an important part of my life? Yes. But, there have been a couple of times in my life when I've gone a couple of years without riding, and it hasn't killed me. Even without a million bucks being dangled before me, I occasionally ponder whether it's worth the expense, the risk, and the time it takes from other things I enjoy. Deep in my heart, I know that while I love motorcycles, I love cars even more. Blasphemy, I know. blush.gif

I would have to think about it. Hem and haw for a while. But, in the end, while I love riding, I could find another activity to consume me. And I would have the money to do some things that I really want to do.

Now-if that million is pre-tax dollars and I am only walking away with about 60% of it, the decision becomes a lot tougher.

Lets_Play_Two
Easy choice: NO WAY!

Quality of life is too important. A million ain't what it used to be.

Live to ride: Ride to live!

Now if it was 40 million... clap.gif

+1 grin.gif

Would you agree to never ride a motorcycle again in exchange for one million dollars?

Users may choose only one (27 total votes)

I would agree and take the money.................And then I might break the agreement. thumbsup.gif

Not a chance in hell. $1M is not a lot of money. There's nothing I could buy for $1M that would give me more pleasure than riding.

$100M would open up a lot more options, but I still don't know if it would be worth giving up hobbies for. My biggest problem is not having enough time for leisure - money is secondary.

I would agree and take the money.................And then I might break the agreement.
Well I forgot to mention that if you did that lightning will strike you... grin.gif

I wasn't sure what to expect but I'm a little surprised by how lopsided this is so far.

Aluminum_Butt

I'm a little surprised by how lopsided this is so far.

I'm not - in fact, I wish we knew the financial demographic of the 1/4 of the folks who said "no". I'd gamble a couple bucks that they have disproportionately high net worths.

wrestleantares

I'm not - in fact, I wish we knew the financial demographic of the 1/4 of the folks who said "no". I'd gamble a couple bucks that they have disproportionately high net worths.

I don't. My wife and I make about 80 grand a year, have two kids and spend a large chunk of our income on retirement and future education expenses. So we are not bad (especially for where we live). But we aren't living high on the hog either.

Dennis Andress

How did that go???

Riding will get you through times of no money better then money will get you through times of no riding.

Don't I wish!

I apologize in advance for the stereotyping, but I think it's an age thing. I've noticed that people get a lot more concerned about money as they get close to and enter retirement. That's when your net worth is greatest, but possibly not enough to do all the things you'd like to with your suddenly abundant leisure time. Those of us who are still in our 30s and 40s don't have a lot of time for our hobbies so we tend to take them seriously.

Riding will get you through times of no money better then money will get you through times of no riding.

Nice! thumbsup.gif

I hope I never have to put that to the test.

No way in hell.....the only reason I would want to have more free time is so I could ride more....

And 1 million is just not enough.....I would still have to work and most likely would have to get a different job as riding is such a vital part of my current job......

Interesting question but not too hard to answer (for me anyway).....

My biggest problem is not having enough time for leisure - money is secondary.
That's why I would accept the money, I don't care about having money at all (other than getting by obviously). But I guess I have somewhere around 10 years (+-) of work left to do before I can retire, having the mil would mean I could skip that and retire now.

You beat me to the punch! I was gonna say that living on a sailboat in the Caribbean, I'd have no use for a scooter.

Pilgrim

I can state from experience that the answer is no. I've walked away from million dollar deals on 3 separate occasions (multi-million, actually) for the simple reason that the job sucked ass, and working a crappy job is way easier than giving up riding. Admittedly, it has been 5 years since the last such opportunity, and I'd likely think a lot longer and harder before throwing valuable stock options to the wind in order to leave a crap job - especially because I've seen the lifestyle that resulted for those that stuck around. So I wouldn't say I'm without regrets (I'd have been retired at 26 with about $15 million in the bank if I hadn't left that first super-crappy job when I did, not that I could have predicted it, since it was an early IPO in the first dotcom bubble), but I can't say that it was the wrong decision, either, since spending your mid-twenties miserable, all for the sake of some cash, isn't exactly an easy decision to push on someone.

In the end, if I have f-you money in the bank (with f-you money being defined as "enough money to allow you to tell ANYONE to f-off"), you are surely going to want to spend some time riding, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy the f-you money without being able to ride. Assuming I can find a suitable replacement, however, I'd definitely switch my vote.

--sam

How did that go???

Change riding to something completely different and you've got the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Wooster, not fabulous but a bit furry

Man, I've spent the afternoon with a bunch of old guys with Nortons, this question is really bothering me...

(I know that most of them would say no in an instant)

Dennis Andress
How did that go???

Change riding to something completely different and you've got the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Wooster, not fabulous but a bit furry

Now, weren't they an inspiration to millions? grin.gifgrin.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I coulld fill the void with only a slightly sweeter car than I have now.

Be honest...

At this point in time, no, not even for more than several million.

Once I begin to get frail, possibly. biggrin2.gif

Gosh, I thought about this for half a millisecond...

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Got rid of a Wife when she said bike or me...adios babe.

Rog

Got rid of a Wife when she said bike or me...adios babe.

Damn. When I grow up, I'm gonna be just like you. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

I think you have it backward: You can be just like him, until you grow up.

(I know he was just coming up with a good one-liner, and he did.)

russell_bynum

Yeah, sure.

I enjoy the hell out of riding (dirt, street, and track), but there's other stuff in life that I could happily do to occupy my time and make me smile if motorcycling dissapeared tomorrow....especially if I had some extra cash to play with.

Shifter carts, sailing, personal watercraft, and flying would be a good start. smile.gif

That's not true in my case. The seven worst years of my adult life are those which I spent chasing the Big Bux instead of having a motorcycle in my garage.

I'm self employed and my income level varies. Still, I've had some wonderful adventures when I could only afford a couple of tanks of gas, rode some twisties, ate a couple of PP&J sandwiches, threw down my sleeping bag in the Sierras and rode home. I remember those times much easier than what I did with the money I made working an extra weekend or two.

In the end, we are all going to end up at the same place. The difference will be is that some of us will have better stories to tell.

After reading all the posts so far I'm afraid I'd

have to take the money also. I could retire and

buy that sail boat I've been wanting. grin.gif

There seem to be three broad categories... 1) 'Yes, I need the money... period', 2) 'Yes, I like cars/airplanes/boats just as much or more than bikes so it's a worthwhile trade', or 3) 'No, I would trade motorcycling for money about as soon as I'd trade my left arm for money.' This even seems to match the current 2/3 split toward 'Yes.'

As for me, I don't know how long I would survive (psychologically) without a motorcycle so I don't really have a choice...

Tax-free BTW (need to specify that in this group wink.gif)

Be honest...

I have a lot of interests. One million dollars would pay off my house and I'd still have ALOT left over to persue those other things.

I'd certainly miss the riding, but you'd all be jealous when I flew in to Torrey...

I'd certainly miss the riding, but you'd all be jealous when I flew in to Torrey...
If you take my million I'm not coming to the airport in Bicknell to pick you up! (There were 2 aircraft there today, most I've ever seen)
Francois_Dumas

Yup, the million would 'solve' the rest of our life and I'd buy a Quad, skibob or Landrover to get my fix ;-)

Sold my prize 1971 GTO Judge when I took up motorcycling, I was able to trade then. Retirement has a nice ring to it. Besides I have always had a soft spot for one of these:

GT-4_03.jpg

Guess I would retire and could tour the country in this too. thumbsup.gif

RichEdwards

Nope. While not rich, I have enough. And retired, I have lots of time to do what I want to do. A big chunk of that time goes to motorcycling. wave.gif

Archived