IGNORED

El Paseo IV

David

Consistent with all of the Un-gatherings, play-by-ear is the structure. What you'll miss by staying at a campground is all the free beer and cigars which will come your way. The front porch is where it's at during El Paseo. Here is where you'll meet & greet others, and make your plans for the next morning's ride with your new buddies. The only rule is that there are no rules, other than the implied one that you drink heavily, responsibly, with your kick-stand deployed for the night!

If you do decide to camp, you'll still have plenty of opportunity to meet everyone at dinner or during lunch on the road, etc.

Thanks Jake. I'll definitely partner up with someone then. The people are worth more than the riding to me, so that's the part I'd definitely rather not miss out on if I can help it. See ya down there. thumbsup.gif

Hmm.. ya know, your promise of free beer doesn't hurt either. grin.gif

Can't think of where the KOA is, but just north of there is The National Park, which I'd assume has some really choice camping spots. But you've got the skinny from Jake.

I'll probably be hauling the bike in the truck for the haul down there. Still don't know how I'm going to make that work.

• 1 month later...
Lone_RT_rider
You can park next to me in the back David. Our old, decrepid, and dirty bikes can seek support in each other..

Save me a spot back there to please! Voodoo, it will be great to finally meet you. We can compare notes in person on Wilber shock installs. grin.gifdopeslap.gif

You can park next to me in the back David. Our old, decrepid, and dirty bikes can seek support in each other..

Save me a spot back there to please! Voodoo

Sounds like we've got to find a "senior discount" parking area. Maybe they'll agree to let us use the hanidcapped area - I'm sure we could make a good argument in support. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

I really didn't think I'd be able to make it, but I think I've managed to work it out. I can't wait since it's really been way too long since I've been able to make a good DB get together. 60 days and counting!!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

If you are talking "senior discount" and "handicapped area", count me in. I'm sure I'm more qualified than any of you on both counts. My left knee is still a pain in the - knee - when I'm not on the bike.

If you are talking "senior discount" and "handicapped area", count me in.

Paul, you're the one I was gonna have go talk to the nice people at the front desk for us. You know...the whole sympathy thing and all. grin.gifgrin.gif

Ok, it's official (but the SO doesn't know it yet) but I'll be at El Paseo! The Voodoo man has offered the other double bed(he better not snore or I'm outta there) and it should be a great time.

Looking forward to it. clap.gifthumbsup.gif

Unfortunately Suz'anne and I won't be able to attend after all. Our youngest daughter has a band competition in Birmingham on the 30th. She is awesome! We will be up there the next week and will stay in the Helen area in a cabin if we can.

See you all in the spring at El Paseo V!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Some road closings that will affect route selection next month:

Road closings, updates

Interstate 40 in Haywood County - Because of a road collapse near the Tennessee state line, traffic has been reduced to one travel lane in each direction in the westbound lane. Repairs may take up to a year.

Interstate 40 in McDowell County - A six-lane stretch on Old Fort Mountain has been reduced to two lanes each way because of unstable rock above. Repairs should be completed by the end of September.

U.S. 64 between Highlands and Cashiers - Closed with no official detour. Repairs should be completed in six weeks.

U.S. 221 in northern McDowell County - Closed. Repairs should take a couple of months.

N.C. 107 between Cullowhee and Cashiers - Closed from N.C 281 to Pine Creek Road, no trucks on detour, finished by the end of October.

N.C. 281 in Jackson County - Closed south of Netty Mountain Road, separate detours for cars and trucks. Repairs completed by the end of October.

N.C. 184 in Avery County - Lanes narrowed from NC. 105 to Banner Elk, shoulders washed out on both sides. Repairs should be completed by Tuesday.

U.S. 19 in Avery County - Closed near Minneapolis. Repairs should be completed by Wednesday.

U.S. 221 in Avery County - Closed due to washout near Linville Falls. Repairs should be completed by Wednesday.

N.C. 151 in Buncombe County - Closed due to major slide near Blue Ridge Parkway access. Repairs should be completed by end of October.

U.S. 64 in Henderson County - Closed due to washout. Repairs should be completed by Oct. 19.

For information about road conditions: Call 511 or visit http://apps.dot.state.nc.us/tims/. Out of state, call (877) 511-4662 or (888) 835-9966.

Blue Ridge Parkway closures:

Current road closures are as follows: Milepost 317 near Linville Falls to mile 325, from Milepost 344 at NC 80 near Marion to Milepost 355 at Mt. Mitchell State Park, and from Milepost 412 at US 276 south of Mt. Pisgah to Milepost 443 at US 23/74 near Waynesville. Mount Michell State Park is accessible from Asheville via the Parkway, but not from NC Route 80.

In addition, the entire Linville Falls recreation area, including picnic area, campground, and visitor center are closed for the season.

The major rockslides and most severe damage occured between Milepost 322 and 349 and some of this portion of the Parkway may be closed for up to a year.

It is always tuff to coordinate with the US Military, but assuming all goes as plan, we are picking Ryan up on Friday morning from Parris Island,Sc driving up to El Paseo and riding with you all. Ryan seems to be excited to ride again and meet everyone. So Friday night, we maybe a little excited at dinner, we will celebrating Ryan's graduation from Marine Boot Camp clap.gif

We will be trailering the three bikes up, Cathy's FJR, my RT, and the K12RS for Ryan.

We have our room reservations done, and are looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks. I had no idea the closures would be this extensive.

Does this affect any of the routes you have laid out for the event?

I'm still planning on heading down on Thursday so I'll be fresh enough to keep you in my sights. At least once you've stopped at the bottom of the gap anyway.

Does this affect any of the routes you have laid out for the event?

Don, I'll need to take a look and see. I suspect that some of the closures will be no more by then. In addition to earlier routes, I'm thinking we'll just have a big map on which we'll mark all the good roads in one color and the closures in another and let people string 'em together.

That sounds like a fitting end to holding El Paseo in Cherokee!

I suspect that some of the closures will be no more by then.

Most will be repaired, but my bet is that anything listed as "six weeks" or more, or "end of October" will still be in limbo.

When my OCCD (obsessive compulsive cartographic disorder) kicks in mid-October, I'll have a good idea of what won't work for Halloween.

I'm thinking we'll just have a big map on which we'll mark all the good roads in one color and the closures in another and let people string 'em together.

You're saying we won't have lunch wagons set up along pre-planned routes? Dang...

I'm sure Matt will have something by then to avoid the devistation. Matt, take care of the catered lunch wagons will ya!

Bad news for me. frown.gif

My brother just had to move his wedding date due to some health issues with his fiance's father. They're now getting hitched on the Friday of El P weekend, so I'm out. Dang! I was reeeaaaallllly looking foward to it. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

In!

Christine - Definite Maybe.

P.S. The block of rooms are gone, but he honored the group price and still has a few more rooms available.

Calvin  (no socks)

I ran some of the roads this weekend. Land slides and utility work on Wyah rd. Franklin side. Cherohala clear, 360, 72, 129, Foothills, 321, 441 thru park have been cleared. 441 thru park is rough in spots! Lots of trees and limbs in close proximity to roadways. I'm sure in a few weeks more will be cleared. cool.gif

ToyCollector

I'm in, rooms appear to still be available as I write this. Seems if I don't put riding on my calender nowadays it doesn't happen like it used to (hmmm reminds me of something else). I will be departing back to Atlanta's northside after Saturday's rides. If anyone is coming from out of town and needs a place on Wed/Thursday night, I have a seperate guesthouse they are welcome to use.

I hear there is frost this morning up there in the mtns. frown.gif

I hear there is frost this morning up there in the mtns. smile.gif

Nicer to break out the gerbing than the hoon cooler. Besides. Cold temps make riding too cold in shorts and flip flops, so the squid population decreases. thumbsup.gif

I'm in.

Sadlyx enough it will be my last, Germany is calling me back home bncry.gif. (In the middle of winter to bavaria where all this ugly cold white stuff is covering the ground, how cruel can they be) grin.gif.

Uli

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

I'm in! Along with a bunch of swing dancing fools from Yehoodi.com, and almost all of them are on beemers now. Imagine that.

I will be riding down with one of the guys from the dance board on a Buell Blast! He's young he can handle it.

I'm really looking forward to this. My bday is the 30th! Woohoo! A bmwst.com un-event on my birthday! Thanks David.

I can't wait to see everyone.

Mark, I hope Christina can make it.

Spike, awesome that Patti can make it. I'm looking forward to seeing you folks again. Maybe we can get that lunch on the BRP this time. wink.gif

Mark

That's me! The "kid" from Yehoodi with the Buell Blast. Just look for the bumblebee (yellow/black), I'll be hard to miss! You'll have to excuse the "beginner bike", because, well, I'm a beginner!

Unfortunately because of some recent life events, I can only say I'm about 80% IN. wink.gif

I'm IN. Headed down for the last big ride for this season. No Gerbing, I'll be the one that looks like the Michelin man cruisin' down from MA. Any teching going on down there? I need to sync the TB's and adjust valves but have no desire to break anything.

Thad

That's me! The "kid" from Yehoodi with the Buell Blast. Just look for the bumblebee (yellow/black), I'll be hard to miss! You'll have to excuse the "beginner bike", because, well, I'm a beginner!

Woo! 3 cheers for beginner bikes! clap.gif

Archived