IGNORED

BMW R1200 Maintenance DVD now for sale!

Jim VonBaden

Jim VonBaden

I am happy to announce that the BMW R1200 Maintenance DVD is finally done!!!!

The video covers all of the following categories, and is designed to allow you to complete all the requirements for maintaining your bike to BMW specifications. It is designed for ALL R1200 series motorcycles (Not including the R1200 cruisers), though it is centered around the R1200GS since that is what I have, and was available for filming.

1. Removing Gas Tank

2. Changing the Oil

3. Replace the Transmission Fluid

4. Changing the Final Drive Fluid

5. Valve Adjustment

6. Air Filter Change

7. Brake Bleeding, servo-ABS system

8. Replace Alternator Belt

9. Fuel Tank Install

10. Fault Code Read

11. Throttle Body Sync

12. Miscellaneous Checks

I have included the necessary tools, supplies and torque specifications to complete all the listed services. I have also added many helpful tips and notes to make this as simple as possible.

Consider this, the tool to remove and install the alternator belt is nearly $150, I teach you how to do it with no special tools, a savings of $125 right there!

A typical 6K service will run you around $300-450, depending on location. The brake bleed alone can run as high as $400.

What I did not include, since I felt they were self explanatory, was how to check your oil, tires, and lights. I also did not include how to check spoke wheels since I did not have a spoke wheel bike available, they will be available on the Companion DVD.

The DVD should assist those of you on the fence in deciding you CAN do these expensive services yourself, and save money for those all important farkles, and gas for riding!

Those of you with 1100/1150 BMW R series bikes can also benefit from this video in that most of the service items are done the same way, and with the same tools.

Some items, like Alternator belt changing, non-servo-brakes, and final drive fluid changes are different, and will be covered in the upcoming BMW R Series Companion DVD. This DVD will also cover the addition of various farkles like Jesse bags, a Blue Seas./Centech Fuse Box, and many other accessories like GPS and XM radios.

It took slightly more work than I thought it would, 30 hours of shooting video, and 150 hours of editing it, plus a lot of hassle trying to get it formatted to a clean copy, but it is done.

The DVDs are available for $25 plus $2 shipping to the continental US, $3 to Canada and $5 for Western Europe. E-mail me, or PM me for other locations.

I will accept Paypal at JimVonBaden@msn.com, this is my preferred method of payment. I will also accept money orders, and personal checks. PM, or E-mail me, for instructions.

The DVD will be available for shipping in approximately 10 days. It is taking a little longer because it is being produced into a master pressed format like a store bought movie which should be viewable on most DVD formats (NTSC), as well as virtually any lap-top computer. Many top line DVD players in Europe also play this format, though it is the North American Standard. See this link for locations in which this DVD will definitely work.

Here are a few samples:

FD-speed-sensor-hole.jpg

computer-1.jpg

01-ABS-unit-02-marked.jpg

ReadFaultcode.jpg

R1200_Motorcycle_Maintenancevalveto.jpg

Kity-Tankless2.jpg

th_Produce.jpg

Here is a short, very low quality video clip. The real DVD has good quality video. Though, keep in mind that though I am a professional trainer this is my first ever video for publication, so there are a few small errors in it.

Thanks you all for your support of this effort, especially Mr. Nice Guy (ADV) for getting the ball rolling! I hope it is worth the effort, and not only saves you money, but helps you to be more independent in doing your own work.

Jim (AKA Jim Von Baden) cool.gif

Congratulations Jim, I've been waiting for this (I'll be one of your first customers). One question about ordering, I've used Paypal in the past but I'm not real clear on just how to order the DVD. Does one just log onto Paypal and send you money, grin.gif or is there an order form of some sort we fill out? Thanks again for what appears to be a great job.

Jim VonBaden
Congratulations Jim, I've been waiting for this (I'll be one of your first customers). One question about ordering, I've used Paypal in the past but I'm not real clear on just how to order the DVD. Does one just log onto Paypal and send you money, grin.gif or is there an order form of some sort we fill out? Thanks again for what appears to be a great job.

HI Albert,

You can log into Paypal and click on the "Send Money" tab at the top. Add my e-mail address, the correct amount, and your address either in the shipping information, or in the notes section.

Thanks everyone, this has been a very rewarding experience so far, and I worked hard to make the best video I could. I sincerely believe you will not be disappointed.

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden
Payment on the way, Jim. Thanks for your efforts on this - looks very promising!

Dood, you live like 12 miles from me! grin.gif

Thanks everyone, this is going very well, and I have already started filming the Companion DVD!

Jim cool.gif

Payment on the way, Jim. Thanks for your efforts on this - looks very promising!

Thanks everyone, this is going very well, and I have already started filming the Companion DVD!

Jim cool.gif

What's the companion DVD?

GoGo Gadget

Well, you did say that Paypal was preferable. I was going to just bring cash over and pick it up, but if you would rather ship it out, I can do that as well. grin.gif

Jim VonBaden

Jim cool.gif

What's the companion DVD?

This DVD focuses on the 1200, but many items are the same, like the valve adjustment procedure, the oil change, the trans oil changes, and several others are similar.

The Companion DVD will cover the differences between the 1100/1150 and the 1200, as well as a bunch of other items like bar riser installation and cable/hose relocation, fuse box installation, etc. The R1150R is so much like the R1100/1150GS/RS/RT that nearly all the items in the DVD will apply to all the bikes.

You are more than welcome to buy it now, and if you decide to purchase the Companion DVD I will give you the same discount as if you purchased them as a set.

Or, you can certainly wait for the set, which should be around $40 total.

Jim cool.gif

Sent payment via PayPal....Figured out how to order after separate e_mail sent for instructions so just delete it...

Thanks....Look forward to the DVD... thumbsup.gif

Phil.........Redbrick

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Just sent my Pay-Pal payment. Looks like this DVD will make maintenance a lot easier than trying to use the BMW CD.

Jim VonBaden

Just remember, my DVD will have the procedures for the services, but your other reference material is still useful.

Anyhow, I just got word that the DVDs will be in tomorrow, so I will be shipping them on Friday! clap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden

Not a bump.

I just want to let everyone know they came in today, and will ship tomorrow for those who have purchased one.

From here on out the shipping will happen within 2 days of receipt of payment.

Thanks,

Jim cool.gif

I just want to let everyone know they came in today, and will ship tomorrow for those who have purchased one.

Sweet! Looking forward to getting it! Thanks again....

My DVD arrived today! I popped into my computer for a very quick view. To say that I'm impressed would be a huge understatement! Each lesson starts with the tools needed and then Jim walks through the procedure with comments all the way through. As I said, I haven't watched the whole thing (only a few parts), but I can see that this DVD is going to pay for itself many times over. GREAT JOB JIM!!! clap.gif

Jim VonBaden

Thanks Rick! I am so glad you find it might be useful!

BTW Some people may have gotten two of them. dopeslap.gif It looks like I printed two sheets of names and addresses the same. If you could just drop it in the mail "return to sender" I would appreciate it! wave.gif

Jim cool.gif

BTW Some people may have gotten two of them. dopeslap.gif It looks like I printed two sheets of names and addresses the same. If you could just drop it in the mail "return to sender" I would appreciate it! wave.gif

Jim cool.gif

Did you send them regular mail? Just curious how I should expect to get it.

Also - if you sent double to some, does that mean others got none? Thanks!

Jim VonBaden

Jim cool.gif

Did you send them regular mail? Just curious how I should expect to get it.

Also - if you sent double to some, does that mean others got none? Thanks!

No, everyone should get one. I just counted my DVD's, and I am 14 short. Coincidentally the same number of labels on a page. I apparently reprinted one sheet on accident while I was trying to get them to print straight.

I sent them USPS first class, so if you get two, just drop the extra ones in the mail "Return to Sender"!

Thanks everyone. thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

I got the DVD last night and watched it. Really good! Gives me the confidence to do some of the maintenance myself.

Great Job!

Steve

Just ordered your CD. One I hope as I changed credit cards in the middle of the PayPal transaction.

Also hope this entitles me to at least one "what do I do now" email. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for putting it together; the CD with your earlier step by step should help me figure things out.

Bill

Jim VonBaden
Just ordered your CD. One I hope as I changed credit cards in the middle of the PayPal transaction.

Also hope this entitles me to at least one "what do I do now" email. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for putting it together; the CD with your earlier step by step should help me figure things out.

Bill

William from Florida, your DVD has been successfully ordered! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Wow - this DVD is QUALITY material. Just watched 3 sections.....GREAT STUFF Jim. You just saved me a boatload of service $$$$$. This is a must have for any DIYer.....awesome! clap.gif

I watched many parts of this dvd last night. Jim, I am totally impressed. You've created a great thing here... TOP SHELF.

I wish you the best of luck in marketing this, it was well worth the price of admission! thumbsup.gif

Jim VonBaden

Thanks everyone! The production has been very successful, with a lot of great feedback.

BTW If you have ordered one more than two weeks ago and not received it, please let me know. It appears the post office lost a few of the very first order for 177 of them.

If your order is less than two weeks old, especially if you sent a check, give it a couple more days!

Thanks, and please let me know if you would like to see anything on the "Companion DVD", as it is still in filming, though almost complete.

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden
What will the companion DVD contain that the original does not? Should I wait an purchase both at once?

MaxM

You certainy can if you like.

The Companion DVD will cover the differences between the 1100/1150 and the 1200, as well as a bunch of other items.

It will have a Centech fuse box install, Jesse bag install on an 1150GSA, Motolights on an R1200GS, and a host of other tidbits including my version of a preride check, and several small tips and tricks.

It should be ready prior to the BMW MOA Rally, and will be available there from a couple well known vendors, along with the R1200 DVD, as well as online like this one.

Thanks,

Jim cool.gif

What will the companion DVD contain that the original does not? Should I wait an purchase both at once?

MaxM

The Companion DVD will cover the differences between the 1100/1150 and the 1200, as well as a bunch of other items.

It will have a Centech fuse box install, Jesse bag install on an 1150GSA, Motolights on an R1200GS, and a host of other tidbits including my version of a preride check, and several small tips and tricks.

It should be ready prior to the BMW MOA Rally, and will be available there from a couple well known vendors, along with the R1200 DVD, as well as online like this one.

Thanks,

Jim cool.gif

Brake bleed for the 2007 GSA/GS?

Jim VonBaden

MaxM

Thanks,

Jim cool.gif

Brake bleed for the 2007 GSA/GS?

Fortunately you have two years before you need to do it! grin.gif

However, the brake bleed I demonstrate on the 2002 R1150GSA is essentially the same. It is a simple fill at the resevoir, bleed at the caliper situation.

UNLESS you get a trapped air bubble, then you will have to remove the tank and bleed the two bleeders on the ABS unit. (I assume it is the same on the 07, but am not 100%)

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden
Hi Jim, sent PayPal on 4/15, haven't received yet. Need to get going on my 600 mile service- past 600 awhile ago.

Yours went out on the 18th. Give it a couple more days and if you don't receive it send me an e-mail and I will get you another.

I have had a couple people not receive them right away, and I sent them a new one and the original showed up a couple days later.

First class mail apparently isn't always what it used to be. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for your patience,

Jim cool.gif

PS K-bike? ooo.gif Maybe after the rally season! grin.gif

Just placed my Paypal order. Looking forward to viewing the DVD, even if I do very little of my own maintenance.

...Thanks, and please let me know if you would like to see anything on the "Companion DVD", as it is still in filming, though almost complete.

Jim cool.gif

Sure. Buy 1 get 1 pricing? lmao.gif

Got mine, watched it all in one sitting. Nice work, Jim.

On your next rendition (aka the "Companion"), I'd like to see brake pad replacement, and possibly, tire changing.

Thanks again for the great work. Keep it up clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Jim VonBaden
Still waiting for mine. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

I sent out a replacement.

Patience young Padowan! thumbsup.gif

Seems there were about 20, or so, that the post office "misplaced"! Expect to see them show up exactly one day after you receive the replacement! dopeslap.gif

If this occurs, please mark the extra on "return to sender" and drop it back in the mail.

Also, a few people have left the wrong address as their delivery address on paypal resulting in returns.

Jim cool.gif

Steven_Brown

Hello Jim,

Sounds like a great job and can't wait till mine arrives. I have a 6 hour drive round trip to nearest dealer so like satisfaction, convenience and saving in learning to do my own work. I want companion and hope you deal in depth for differences for 1997 BMW R1100RT plus hope you include brake and tire replacement. I suggest you do a third for electronics (GPS, IPod, stereo, intercom, radar, power) and accessories like highway pegs, peg lowering kits, cruise controls, shocks, and lights. I sent my $27 for first DVD but want the companion at total package price when it comes out. How long before the "companion DVD" is done and ships as to estimate? Think about a series with third? Keep up the good work? Please confirm you got my PayPal payment and request? Thanks! Steve clap.gif

Jim VonBaden
Hello Jim,

Sounds like a great job and can't wait till mine arrives. I have a 6 hour drive round trip to nearest dealer so like satisfaction, convenience and saving in learning to do my own work. I want companion and hope you deal in depth for differences for 1997 BMW R1100RT plus hope you include brake and tire replacement. I suggest you do a third for electronics (GPS, IPod, stereo, intercom, radar, power) and accessories like highway pegs, peg lowering kits, cruise controls, shocks, and lights. I sent my $27 for first DVD but want the companion at total package price when it comes out. How long before the "companion DVD" is done and ships as to estimate? Think about a series with third? Keep up the good work? Please confirm you got my PayPal payment and request? Thanks! Steve clap.gif

Hi Steve,

I did get it.

The Companion DVD will cover the differences between the 1100/1150 and the 1200, as well as some good instructions for adding a Centech fuse box, Motolights, Jesse bags, and a host of smaller items.

It should be available in about 6 weeks.

Thanks,

Jim cool.gif

PS I have sold out the first 500, and expect the next to be in by Thursday. In the meantime you can order from the following vendors: www.advworkshop.com, www.cyclenutz.com, www.bestrestproducts.com, and www.marcparnes.com for orders from their stock.

Jim VonBaden

Due to the recent increase in postage, and my initial shipping price being lower than cost, the price of shipping has gone up $1 across the board.

This means $3 US, $4 Canada, $6 Europe and Australia.

Sorry for any inconvenience, and any orders taken prior to this notice will receive the original price.

Jim :brow

NursePeter

Jim,

Just sent you the money (US$31) via paypal. I'm not in a huge rush for it... I don't own my R1200RT yet but intend to purchase it in about a month. I love the RT, I used to have a 1150 a few years ago... but had to sell it. I look forward to being able to being confident with servicing my new bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen Jim Von Baden around? I ordered a DVD but heard nothing and his message box here is full and not accepting new messages.

bmurphypdx

I ordered the DVD a couple of weeks ago (for me, that means somewhere between five and fifteen days ago) and got a message from him two days ago informing me it had shipped.

NursePeter

I ordered back on the 20th... Got a message yesterday that he'd shipped the dvd... He's there... just a bit busy I guess.

Peter

Jim VonBaden
Anyone seen Jim Von Baden around? I ordered a DVD but heard nothing and his message box here is full and not accepting new messages.

I'll clear out my box.

As of 5:00 today ALL orders received via Paypal have been shipped. Checks received by today have also been shipped.

If you have not received your DVD, and you are more than 2 weeks from Paypal, or 3 weeks from sending a check, please let me know?

The USPS has lost only 5 of over 600, but some have taken as long as 3-4 weeks even though I send first class mail.

Also, you can e-mail me at JimVonBaden at MSN.com

I will be at our local rally from tomorrow on, but will answer all enquiries when I return Sunday night.

Thank you all for your patience!

Jim cool.gif

Archived