IGNORED

Hardwiring a GPS on an RT - got the Zumo 550.....

lthj75

Thanks rtpitt. That is what I expected. I just installed the gps in the car and it works as expected. So the problem is not with the GPS, but either the connector on bike or the connections I made.

Turns on with the bike half the time, but never turns off when the bike is turned off. I'm hoping this gives someone a hint of the problem -- perhaps one of the two connections are not solid.

bt2.

If you have the Zumo powered up from the GPS plug on the bike be aware that the GPS plug does not power off as soon as you turn the key off! It takes a minute or two untill it poweres off the GPS. I know if I pull into a gas station to fill up it is still on when I have finished fueling. I go into pay and by the time I get back to the bike it has usually powered off.

Not sure if this might account for part of what you are seeing or not! Just wanted to point it out!

Andy.

HandyAndy,

Yes, that was it. It took about two minutes for teh GPS to power off. Looking at the manual, turning off the ignition leaves the accessory sockets powered for a "limited time." I just didn't think it would be two minutes dopeslap.gif

The other part that confused me was that since I was turning on and off quickly (expecting the sockets to power down along with the on board computer screen), the GPS doesn't power up because, the socket wasn't yet powered down. I manually turned off the gps and since the socket remained powered up, turning the ignition on left the gps in a turned off state. Confusing? You bet it was.

It is all good now clap.gif. I assumed the bike's accessory power behaves the same as my two cars.

• 2 months later...

Howdy, folks. I hate to be a maroon here, but the only connector I see in my 2005 R1200RT does not look like this. That is to say, it does not have a simple black cap. What it does have is a white connector plugged into it. That connector has a single teenightsy black wire coming out of it to who knows where.

The black connector has three wires: brown, blue (not blue-green, I swear), and red-white.

Is this the right connector?

What is that white connector and black wire?

Is it important?

I haven't seen anyone else mention this on the various threads.

I really wanted to get this done tonight.....

bws

. Here is a picture of the cap I located, based on all the wonderful pictures I found on this thread.

I have identified what I think is the cap of the correct connector for the GPS. Feel stupid, but better be that than break something off...

2374319259_5eaf93fafa_o.jpg

Blake_Welcher

Hello all:

I too have the Zumo 550, but ordered the connector for the BMW version from my local dealer (BMW #05-21-2007 p/n 71 60 0 429 586). One end hooks into the Zumo bike mount with the little screws and the other to a connector located about where the horn is (not the one below). Even with this hook up I to have about a 2 minute delay once the bike is powered down before it shuts off.

Blake

The delay after shut off is the CAN (bus) doing its thing... that is the way it is suppoed to work- congratulations.

Once again if you are a new zumo owner go to Zumo Forums.com

You will find a whole forum on installation as well as dozens of forums on useage.

First thing you should do is make a software backup of your system. Next, update the Mapsource and firmware on the unit.

I was planning to go the same route on my wife's ST (2005)

It did not have a connector up front as on my RT.

What I did use was the ACC socket down by the rear suspension adjust to pick up a trigger for releay/Centech and powered her Zumo in that manner.

Archived