IGNORED

Hardwiring a GPS on an RT - got the Zumo 550.....

lthj75

Anyone have any advice? I tried to search the archives but didn't find too much on the topic. Also checked out razorbike.....wire back to the battery with a switched harness or tap into the wire for the canbus under the tupperware? Thanks!

A GPS draws very little power. If you want to keep things simple you could just connect the Garmin (fused) harness directly to the battery. Other folks do use Centech or Touratech options as well. Touratech does have a nearly "plug and play" item for use with bikes with Canbus systems. It's a good option if you really feel that you must have a switched power supply to the GPS.

I also just got a Zumo for my 1200RT and the dealer showed me where there is a connector in the front fork area that has a cap over it and has a nylon tie securing it to the harness. The BMW dealers sell a 2 pin connector that fits that plug (somewhere in the $8-$10 range). I haven't done the installation myself as of yet due to the weather, but it appears very straightforward and no modifications or extra wiring is required.

I also just got a Zumo for my 1200RT and the dealer showed me where there is a connector in the front fork area that has a cap over it and has a nylon tie securing it to the harness. The BMW dealers sell a 2 pin connector that fits that plug (somewhere in the $8-$10 range). I haven't done the installation myself as of yet due to the weather, but it appears very straightforward and no modifications or extra wiring is required.

Plugging into that adapter sounds easy - but you need to get that to the Garmin power cable with some sort of connection....right?

I also connected to the plug in the harness under the forks. My BMW dealer (Santa Fe) sold me a $26 pigtail connector(83300413585) that has 3 yellow wires numbered 1,2,3 on one end and the male plug on the other end. You need to short cut the #2 wire (accessory speed signal) and then connect 1,3 to the black and red leads from the Zumo, #1 to ground (black) and #3 to hot (red 15 amp). I used electrical shrink tubing with a heat gun to make the twisted connections water proof. Permanently connected the Zumo provided harness that plugs into the Zumo mount then routed the Zumo harness along the exising clutch, headlight switch, etc. harness to the female plug under the forks. This gives you keyed power to the Zumo. There is a shut off delay of about 1-2 minutes for the keyed power accessories. So when you shut down, the Zumo stays on until the accessory power finally shuts off, then Zumo presents a screen where you choose to remain on battery or not. This installation was very easy, since the existing plug is for the BMW Navigator.

I asked the same question. I was very busy at that time to go and buy a "somethin", find the "thing" in the bike, remove some parts, etc. I directly connected the fused wires directly to the battery. It works just fine.

I also connected to the plug in the harness under the forks. My BMW dealer (Santa Fe) sold me a $26 pigtail connector(83300413585) that has 3 yellow wires numbered 1,2,3 on one end and the male plug on the other end. You need to short cut the #2 wire (accessory speed signal) and then connect 1,3 to the black and red leads from the Zumo, #1 to ground (black) and #3 to hot (red 15 amp). I used electrical shrink tubing with a heat gun to make the twisted connections water proof. Permanently connected the Zumo provided harness that plugs into the Zumo mount then routed the Zumo harness along the exising clutch, headlight switch, etc. harness to the female plug under the forks. This gives you keyed power to the Zumo. There is a shut off delay of about 1-2 minutes for the keyed power accessories. So when you shut down, the Zumo stays on until the accessory power finally shuts off, then Zumo presents a screen where you choose to remain on battery or not. This installation was very easy, since the existing plug is for the BMW Navigator.

This forum is GREAT!!!!! Thanks dude....just to be clear....

3 Yellow wires:

#1 - connect to black wire from the zumo

#2 - No connection - just cut and shrink wrap?

#3 - connect to red wire from zumo

Is that the deal?

THANKS AGAIN!!! clap.gif

I wired mine directly to the battery but I also have a switched Centech fuse block to power my XM, V-1, and Autocom. I like the option of leaving the Zumo turned on.

I like the option of leaving the Zumo turned on.

For the same reason, I wired my GPSMAP 76CS to the battery with an inline fuse (as I did with my previous bike). It's cheap, simple, and really, it's about as plug and play as you can get.

Wes Hsu

'06 R1200RT

Like some others, I like to have the GPS powered even when the ignition is off although I never leave it unattended. GPSes consume so little power that I don't worry about it. I wired directly to the battery with a 1.5 amp in-line fuse. This was, to me the neatest solution with hardly any exposed wire and also the least costly option. And it was relatively simple to move my soldered-together harness from the R1150RT to the R1200RT.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Garmin inline fuse need to remain or is the circuit with the BMW connector sufficiently protected?

Thanks.

I am interested in how you made your mounting bracket for your GPS. Got any pictures? I have a Garmin 2610 and have made no firm decision. Thanks.

I don't think the cable for the BMW Navigator uses a fuse, at least there wasn't an obvious one that I saw (although I wasn't really looking for that nor did I look for very long). It only makes sense to me that this circuit would be protected just as the rest of them are.

Does the Garmin inline fuse need to remain or is the circuit with the BMW connector sufficiently protected?

Thanks.

Of course you could always have one of my custom made, solid billet aluminum with 1" ram ball mounts from me...I make them on my lunch breaks with the CNC machine blush.gif.

Click to enlarge thumbsup.gif

miniimg2602bl8.th.jpg

garminmountonrt010sl0.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics002bi0.th.jpg

P.S. Almost forgot...62.00 includes shipping.

Jim (aka jakfrost)

I am interested in how you made your mounting bracket for your GPS. Got any pictures? I have a Garmin 2610 and have made no firm decision. Thanks.

See Here.....

See Here.....

Thanks so much for the response. I like what you did very much. Inexpensive, clean and looks great. I'm leaning toward a dash shelf so I can keep the GPS in my line of sight and away from my tank-bag. I like the ram mount. Thanks.

GoGo Gadget

See Here.....

Thanks so much for the response. I like what you did very much. Inexpensive, clean and looks great. I'm leaning toward a dash shelf so I can keep the GPS in my line of sight and away from my tank-bag. I like the ram mount. Thanks.

I just installed a Migsel mount. Quick and easy and looks great. Just waiting on the GPS to get back from Garmin for repairs, grrr.

Did you use the connector by the front fork. If so, how did you route the wire up to Migsel mount? Do you have any photos?

GoGo Gadget
Did you use the connector by the front fork. If so, how did you route the wire up to Migsel mount? Do you have any photos?

I am waiting for the unit to get back from Garmin for repairs. I have not run the power yet, when I get that figured out, I'll take pics.

I mounted my GPS as shown on attached photos; the base of the bracket is mounted to the forks by two stud/standoff assemblies that screw into the two innermost socket head cap screw holes that hold the handlebars on. The base of the bracket mounts a Centech AP-1 fuse panel which is wired directly to the battery and has a relay that connects to any "key-on" wire. The upper part of the bracket holds a Garmin Motorcycle Mount bracket and this part is hinged for a couple of reasons, one, to be able to access the fuse panel and also to adjust the screen to eliminate glare. Now, my 2610 is conveniently mounted below my dash instruments, does not obstruct the key and I have a ready source for other gadgets right there between the handlebars, and I have the ability to connect eight other electrical devices and I never expect to use all of them.And all of them would have very short connection wires and easily accessible fuses.

I mounted my GPS as shown on attached photos; the base of the bracket is mounted to the forks by two stud/standoff assemblies that screw into the two innermost socket head cap screw holes that hold the handlebars on. The base of the bracket mounts a Centech AP-1 fuse panel which is wired directly to the battery and has a relay that connects to any "key-on" wire. The upper part of the bracket holds a Garmin Motorcycle Mount bracket and this part is hinged for a couple of reasons, one, to be able to access the fuse panel and also to adjust the screen to eliminate glare. Now, my 2610 is conveniently mounted below my dash instruments, does not obstruct the key and I have a ready source for other gadgets right there between the handlebars, and I have the ability to connect eight other electrical devices and I never expect to use all of them.And all of them would have very short connection wires and easily accessible fuses.

841369-DSC02149.JPG.e8cf210d28574ef93a7176f48e618b05.JPG

I have a 2820, but wiring is the same on the bike side.

I used the front fork connector. I was going to route the wire through the windscreen slot, but the service guy thumbsup.gif came up with a better route during my 600mi service/warranty visit.

I'll try to take some pics later today.

I have a 2820, but wiring is the same on the bike side.

I used the front fork connector. I was going to route the wire through the windscreen slot, but the service guy thumbsup.gif came up with a better route during my 600mi service/warranty visit.

I'll try to take some pics later today.

Please do post them... I'm curious to see.

GoGo Gadget

Where is this connector located by the forks? Will it be obvious when I look for it? Did you cut and splice into it?

It was just forward of the forks on my bike. Black connector w/3 wires coming into it and a cap. They appear to be brown, green, and white but no gaurantee at the moment on colors. The cap can be removed by pressing on a plastic latch and pulling gently while holding the connector.

It was about 4" forward of the purple in the picture below (Right handlebar base is the silver far left). Best pic I have at the moment.

picture-16.jpg

I used the magic BMW connector (the white blurr), not sure of the P/N (it's been mentioned elsewhere). Bob's had them.

It looks like the wire from the GPS is in the groove between the clear plastic instrument cover and the right speaker location. Did you use anything to hold it in place?

Where is this connector located by the forks? Will it be obvious when I look for it? Did you cut and splice into it?

The connector is located toward the top of the forks close to the horn. Let me know if you can't find it and I can try to take a picture for you.

GoGo Gadget

The connector is located toward the top of the forks close to the horn. Let me know if you can't find it and I can try to take a picture for you.

Thanks, I got my Garmin back today, so as soon as I have some free time (rare commodity) I'll start digging around and get it wired up.

Anyone have the p/n for the connector?

EDIT: Nevermind. "Search" is your friend. I found it.

GoGo Gadget
Anyone have the p/n for the connector?

BMW part number 83300413585

Looks like this...

gps-harness.jpg

Thanks, I did a search and found your other thread. I just ordered it from Chicago BMW. clap.gif

I was installing power for my 2730 the other day and took this picture with the plastic off (looking down from the top). The plug had a black plastic cap and was wrapped with fabric tape - it's very easy to see if you look up from under the bike.

IMG_3909.JPG

GoGo Gadget
it's very easy to see if you look up from under the bike.

would have made more sense to post the picture looking up.

Cool. Thanks. Looks pretty much idiot proof, although I am a pretty experienced idiot.

it's very easy to see if you look up from under the bike.

would have made more sense to post the picture looking up.

IMG_3910.JPG

I am currently working on this setup, but can't get the cap out of the plug. Is there some trick I'm missing?

It would have been easier to find if my 07 had those cool red arrows.

Which option package where they included in? wink.gif

The R1200RT package - they all have them! Kneel by your front tire.....stick you head in and look up to your handlebars.....look smack dab in the middle of the bike. BINGO!

Thanks a bunch! This board does rock. I am powered up.

Now just need to stow all that extra wire.

Cool - glad it helped. I used 3 or 4 large zip ties, bunched it up and 3" loops and zip tied it where you found the plug.....good luck!

GoGo Gadget
It would have been easier to find if my 07 had those cool red arrows.

Which option package where they included in? wink.gif

The R1200RT package - they all have them! Kneel by your front tire.....stick you head in and look up to your handlebars.....look smack dab in the middle of the bike. BINGO!

I looked, I did not get the "red arrow" package.

cool.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

OK, I followed instructions posted here, got the repair connector and the zumo 550. Trying to remove the cap, but it doesn't want to come out. Here is a picture of the cap I located, based on all the wonderful pictures I found on this thread. I squeezed on the sides to try and pull out the cap, but it doesn't want to come out. I don't want to try harder, lest I break something.

I have identified what I think is the cap of the correct connector for the GPS. Feel stupid, but better be that than break something off...

2374319259_5eaf93fafa_o.jpg

My understanding is I should remove this cap and plug in the repair connector.

Cut the cable tie and remove the tape. You will find a place to push a small screwdriver in to release the locking tab. Look at the end of the connector that you bought and it should be obvious where the tab is located on the bike.

Thanks rtpitt, I was able to connect.

Maybe this is unrelated, but after I made the connections (3 to red; 1 to black), I expected the Zumo 550 to turn on and off as I turn on and turn off the bike. But that is not the case. A couple of times, when I turned on the bike, the Zumo powered up as expected. The rest of the many times I tried it, gps doesn't turn on. And it never turns off by itself after I turn off the bike. I thought the whole idea behind making this connection was to have the gps get power as if it is another powered socket.

I know the Zumo is getting power from the bike because the battery icon on the gps is off. I remove the gps from the holder and the battery icon comes on, so I am sure I am getting power.

Stranger enough, sometimes the gps unit doesn't turn on at all when plugged into the holder. Turning on the bike doesn't power it up. Pressing the power button on the gps doesn't power it up either. If it wasn't receiving power from the bike, I would expect the unit to power on using its battery.

This is confusing. Any ideas what may be going on? If it matters, when I connected #3 to red and #1 to black, I tied the wires together and sealed them with electrical tape; didn't solder them as some here have done.

I'm not sure. Mine starts up when I put it in the cradle. When I turn the bike off it tells me that the power will be off within a few minutes and asks if I want to switch to battery or shut down.

Archived