IGNORED

My husband wants me to hang it up and I am not ready

KCSheila

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, one last piece of advise, with all respect to your hubby.

YOUR SPOUSE SHOULD NOT BE YOUR COACH!!!!!!

Unless, of course, he is a trained motorcycle instructor. There is nuance to this stuff that the average rider, OK, to paraphrase Garrison Keilor, we are all above average, just won't pick up. Has to do with both observational and communication skills along with some basic knowledge of the mechanical aspects of the motorcycle.

In re the last, you would be amazed at how many people I see riding around with poorly adjusted bar angles, lever positions, clutch free play, and throttle free play. These sound like minor stuff but, trust me, they are not.

BeniciaRT_GT

since you asked for it!!!

I am simply guessing at this, but by your post I would ask if you tend to be an impatient sort? (You didn't last 15 minutes before you re-posted thinking no one would answer.) If so, that can lead to quick frustration and a mindset that will consistently get you in trouble. You will never make up time in a parking lot or from a stop. If you get frustrated very easily, then you should try getting into a differeent mindset of relaxing more before mounting and when on the bike.

As to dropping it: I dropped my RT twice in the first two weeks I owned her. A few parking lot days later and now I can stop at a stop sign, leave my feet up, and then drag a peg and centerstand through the intersection at a nice slow speed.

Practice and attitude mean all the world to your bike!

since you asked for it!!!

I am simply guessing at this, but by your post I would ask if you tend to be an impatient sort? (You didn't last 15 minutes before you re-posted thinking no one would answer.) If so, that can lead to quick frustration and a mindset that will consistently get you in trouble. You will never make up time in a parking lot or from a stop. If you get frustrated very easily, then you should try getting into a differeent mindset of relaxing more before mounting and when on the bike.

As to dropping it: I dropped my RT twice in the first two weeks I owned her. A few parking lot days later and now I can stop at a stop sign, leave my feet up, and then drag a peg and centerstand through the intersection at a nice slow speed.

Practice and attitude mean all the world to your bike!

What Richard didn't say, because he's such a quiet and humble guy, is that he gets LOTS of practice and that's where his abilities come from. What, Richard, 25K per year? Same with Ed.... It's all about "time on task"; practice, practice, practice! And never quit practicing, consciously going over your routine to see if there isn't a better way you could manage a situation. There is no upper limit to your skills.

We're all rootin' for you!!! thumbsup.gif You will absolutely love that bike once you get comfy with it. When I brought my first BMW home my wife asked, very seriously, "Will I ever see you again?" Ha ha ha!!!! grin.gif

Doug

BeniciaRT_GT
What Richard didn't say, because he's such a quiet and humble guy, is that he gets LOTS of practice and that's where his abilities come from. What, Richard, 25K per year? Same with Ed.... It's all about "time on task"; practice, practice, practice! And never quit practicing, consciously going over your routine to see if there isn't a better way you could manage a situation. There is no upper limit to your skills.

That was my point. There is no substitute for practice. I'm dead serious when I say this: if I can ride okay, you certainly can be an ace at the slow speed stuff.

p.s. Doug, double that figure maybe. I've put 28K on the new GT since last June and a few miles on the RT and Harley! I count myself as very lucky! Unfortunately, most of that is commuting 500-600 miles a week. And I NEVER drive a car.

ShovelStrokeEd

You can pretty much double it for me too, 27K last year was the lowest year in the last 20.

BTW, mis-spelled a great humorist's name. Garrison Keillor.

Sheila,

There has been a lot of good advice given so I don't have much to add. I will say that BMW RXXXX bikes are ALL top heavy piggy bikes. I have dropped every one I have owned and I am 6"2, 215 pounds and I work out like a madman at the gym. It just does not help much once one of these piggies get away from you except to lay it down as gentle as possible. Anyways, I have dropped a total of four different bikes five times, including a Yamaha TT100. Personally, I think no matter what you ride you are going to drop it. Everyone does, so, IMHO ride what ever you want as long as you can pick it up by yourself.

P.S. I love my piggy!

Cheers! lurker.gif

So even though you keep dropping them, you still ride them? My husband got my Honda Shadow VT 700 out tonight and just took it around our street (I thought he might be getting it warmed up for me) and though I wanted to hop on and have been whining because it seems like "everyone" is out riding right now, I felt fear. That is the first time I have actually gotten afraid or anxious about hopping on a bike. He had thought that the low center of gravity and the fact that I have ridden that bike for 3 years might make it a better choice to just ride around our street. As it turned out, he was just warming it up and getting it ready to take it out on the highway himself to "blow the cobwebs out of it". Isn't that odd that when I want to ride again so badly, that I was afraid when I thought I might take it for a spin? I would have never guessed.

I do have a Drs appt tomorrow, and had a phone conversation with him and since I had an episode with something called reflex sympathetic dystrophy that he isnt even considering any type of surgery on my foot for at least six months and at that, he is reluctant to fix anything that isnt absolutely necessary by surgery because that RSD is likely to start up again. He says it is too soon to know how much or if I will heal anymore from this point and wants to do more nerve blocks and some further up my leg (at the suggestion of the neurologist) and try to keep me on meds to calm the damaged nerves. I may have to live with what I have. We will discuss it more tomorrow. It was a bit disheartening because since I hurt myself in Aug of last year, I am expecting a "fix" at this point. Between the pegs, broken bones and the smashed foot against the pavement, I have done lots and lots of nerve damage. He is going to do an MRI and try to identify any "hot spots" in there, however, I am not sure he will treat them, at this point. We did stop the RSD with nerve blocks before and accomplished that in about 2 weeks. I told him I would rather fix what is wrong now, if the RSD returns, do the blocks again. Question is, if surgery will help or make things worse. We shall see. I have been very patient for almost 9 months, and now am WANTING AND NEEDING a fix on something. Broken bones healed so fast, but that soft tissue damage and nerve damage is nothing to want.

Though my boots have armour in the ankle area, I am considering finding even more protective footwear to ride with, especially due to the reasons you mentioned in your post. Thanks for taking your time to add your ideas, I appreciate your information, very much.

On a side note... I find the passenger has more legroom than I do on my R1150R.

I give you a lot of credit for trying. I rode sportbieks before getting my BMW... and it's a much more challenging bike to ride. I find myself off balance frequently, but I'm strong enough to save it. I have dropped in once at a gas station while putting it up on the center stand.

I'd look at a different bike. There is the new F series? The new R1200R is much lighter than your R1100R.

Otherwise, you'll have ot start looking at Japanesse machines. There a long list of naked bies (roadsters) make by the big 4... and there's also Aprilia. (SV1000, 919, FZ1, Z1000, Bandit 1250). These bikes don't have hte soul of the BMW, but they are thousands of dollars cheaper, faster, lighter, lower maintenance costs, more reliable (but not as durable).

Though my boots have armour in the ankle area, I am considering finding even more protective footwear to ride with, especially due to the reasons you mentioned in your post. Thanks for taking your time to add your ideas, I appreciate your information, very much.

I've been looking for some better boots and just saw these at our local shop. Puma 1000

Puma motorcycle boots

I tried them on and they were comfortable, but I ended up going with a pair of BMW Santiago's, not as much protection as the Puma's though.

139293060-M.jpg

I suggest you do a couple things

1st take a BRC course, if you have taken one take another one.

2nd Down size the bike.

I say these because what I read from you is You continue to brake with the bars turned, this is bad you should know never to do that.

As far as the size if you down size the bike to what YOU are comfortable with you will be able to Move the bike with ease.

Tony

Have you considered a small dual sport bike? Just till you get your confidence back. I only suggest this because Jodie and I just bought a couple Suzuki DRs for exploring backroads. Mine a 650, hers a 200. She rode the 200 for the first time this past saturday, and she couldn't wipe the smile off her face the whole time. She was smiling, laughing, and giggling away as she blasted around on that "little" bike. She said at one point, why does everybody buy those big bikes? These are too much fun. :-) I was kinda worried she'd be topped out on the highway but she can cruise at 100km/h (60MPH) no problem, she doesn't have much left for passing but these aren't going to be long range highway bikes anyway. And all this coming from a woman who has owned and ridden a: BMW F650GS, BMW R1200RT and is now riding a Ninja 650R. I haven't even put the battery back in the my RT yet, I too am having a blast on the DR650!

They're inexpensive and you can probably sell it for pretty much what you paid for it when you're ready to get rid of it, if you ever do get rid of it. ;-)

Just a thought.

138328948-L.jpg

If you're not ready to hang it up, then don't even consider it unless it is creating too much friction at home. Personally, I don't believe any bike is to big for you if you can get your feet to the ground. When I'm doing superslab days, I move my seat to the highest position for comfort's sake. I can barely tiptoe from there. No big deal if you don't stop much!

In addition, I don't think any strength training or exercises will help much either. It comes down to three things in my book:

1) Practice -- it will become second-nature after more and more practice -- an extension of you!

2) Don't let yourself get into sticky situations where you are more likely to have problems.

3) Practice -- can't say it enough

Truth be told there is a tipping point where, despite however "enhanced" one's musculature is, you will not be able to keep that bike from going to the ground. I don't care who or what you are.

Truth be told there is a tipping point where, despite however "enhanced" one's musculature is, you will not be able to keep that bike from going to the ground. I don't care who or what you are.

And I think that's what's at issue here, the BMW R bikes have a pretty high (closer to 90 degrees) tipping point than a lot of other bikes. Jodie's handled all of her bikes with ease, until the RT. She just could not stop it once it started to go over. A combination of her not being able to flat foot it, so once it started over it was past her tipping point before she vould get her foot planted firmly.

I agree with what "sidetoside" said. I think your problem with handeling the bike is: When stopped and trying to either back the bike or turn it lock to lock, you MUST make certain that when you release the clutch you start straightening the handle bars as you begin to move.

When the handle bars are at max turn angle you are the most apt to lose control of the bike due to weight distribution, this is maximized at slow or stopped speed.

I think you should not stop riding.You should take the bike to a parking lot and "practice". Do the slow speed take offs and stops and learn to handle the bike in tight hard turn situations. Do not try to muscle the bike or any bike. It is just a matter of time until you hurt your back or other body part trying to muscle a motorcycle.

Mat smile.gif

'to drive or not to drive'. Here's something to think about... are you a danger to just yourself or a danger to other people? However, I think if you train yourself, such as Experienced Rider Courses, using your bike, they can help you figure out what you are doing wrong and get you some extra practice. However, your height and size, shouldn't make it any more difficult for you to ride an R1100R since you are at the perfect height for one of those. The seat height is 32.3", however if you are looking to give up on a little bit of the fairing, go with the F650gs. It's got a 30.7" seat height and has a lower center of gravity and is a nice bike to ride anywhere, rain or shine. Another idea, go to the dealership and see if they have any lowered bikes around that even maybe in the service department that you could sit on. Also, the lowering kits aren't the only way guys lower their bikes. I've heard of a few wacky things, but it's something to look into as well. Best of Luck!

Common sense should tell anyone that if I thought I was a danger to anyone, myself or anyone else, I would never climb on a motorcycle. That goes without saying. I have had several opportunities to "hit the road" and have chosen to keep the bike parked and riding is one of, if not my favorite thing to do. Same reason why I don't drink and drive, wear my seatbelt, and follow the law while driving. Same reason why we wear ATGATT. I do have a smaller bike, the Shadow that sits lower to the ground, but since I am not sure I could use the rear brake properly, it stays parked. Safety to others is foremost in my mind, believe me.

Welcome, Michele!!! Another Wyoming BMW rider!!! thumbsup.gif

Good vibes to you and your busted foot, KCShiela! You GO, girls!

Doug

Thanks Doug, for your well-wishes. Ditto to Michele, welcome to the board. You will find a wealth of information here and lots of answers to questions you may have never thought to ask. At least that is my opinion.

Have you made all those rides alone or do you have people who ride with you? I am impressed. I know you have ridden since you were 18, but your pic makes you look pretty young.

How many total miles have you ridden, or are you counting?

There are several of us "gals" on here, but it is equally fun to chat with the men. I find myself reading this forum when I have plenty of other things I SHOULD be doing. If you have problems finding your way around the board, I am most likely not the one to ask, since I barely hold my own on here, but there is a section that deals with those issues. Would have welcomed you sooner, but I didn't see it was your first post. Once again, I hope you have big fun on here like I do. The only person I know on this forum is my husband, haven't had a chance to meet anyone in person yet. wave.gif

BeniciaRT_GT

Worse yet: There is a point at which you can save it (about 1 mm beofre the "no return" point.) where you CAN save it but severly damage tendons in your wrist and wrench your back as you grunt and pull it back upright. blush.gif

DAMHIK blush.gifdopeslap.gif (It has taken over a year for that one to heal. I guess I'm old)

If it feels like it is going, LET IT GO!

I will not be riding this summer so I will become more of a voyer on the site. Thank you all for your advice and I will continue to re-read it, as you are my only teachers until I am able to hop back on and take the BRC again.

As my husband said, I have had two bikes and have had tip over issues with both. So at this point I must admit IT IS THE DRIVER.

Happy riding to you all and KEEP SAFE WHILE LETTING THAT SWEET BREEZE BLOW IN YOUR FACE. I will greatly miss my "riding kinship" with you all. wave.gif

Sorry to see that you stated that you will be off your bike. I am 5'7" and 135 and love my 1200RT. I think that you could handle your bike with some forethought and caution. I do not park anywhere that I have any doubt that I cannot get myself out in a safe and controlled fashion. Keeping your head up, looking through your turn, not using your hand brake when going slow, especially when turning, and keeping your confidence in your ability will all help in handling the bike. I could never give up riding and two up is not enjoyable for me. I hope that you think about developing your skills and maybe even taking a riding class. You can do it if you set your mind to it! Good luck and hope you give it another chance.

NathanJessup

The answer for my S/O was after 3 bikes we finally get her very comfortable on a 05 FJR1300........ No problem with her touching ground with this bike with her short inseam..... She loves it and is quite FAST now....

sorry to hear you won't be riding for the time being. my wife is 5'2 130 and has been all over the country on her suzuki burgman 400 highway going scooter. i'm sure you could handle it and it is fun to drive.

hang in there til another opportunity arises!!

HI KC Sheila,

Motodiva 720 here; I didn't start riding until I turned 50; I have been riding for almost 6 years.

In my favor is that I am 5'9", but only weigh 120 (not in my favor). I have had 4 bikes:

Kaw. Vulcan 750 - a bit too much for me; sold after 3 ms.

BMW F650 (had been lowered); nice, light, manuverable

Honda VFR - which I'd still have if I didn't have problems w/ tendonitis/numbness, etc in right hand/arm frown.gif I LOVED that bike.

BMW R1150RA - my steed! What a ride; have had it for 3 1/2 yrs now & have been all over the place on it.........BUT:

I have dropped all (But the VFR) more times than I could even count. Had I stopped riding because of that, I wouldn't be riding today. Hell, I just dropped my roadster last week. And, all the while, I never thought of giving it up. Ok, sometimes I loose my balance; or get caught off guard; or make too tight a turn. I get up (sometimes after weeping a bit crazy.gif) and keep on going. 99% of the time my friends, co-riders, etc are supportive. I figure I'm out there riding; and not doing such a bad job of it. Having fun; and yes, getting scared sometimes, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let that stop me!

Nor will I allow anyone to TELL me I need to stop because I'm not living up to their their expectations.

I had a male friend tell me that when he brought home his first bike (also a Vulcan 750) many yrs ago, he drove it right into his garage......... DOOR!!!

Look at the Ninja 650; Ninja 500; Suzuki SV 650 and other shorter, lighter bikes.

Good Luck; hope to see you out on the roads!

I do hope you will not give it up and that you will work things out w/ the hubby.

You are all so great! I am not just "giving up". Dr. didn't give me the go ahead to ride when I still have so much discomfort just trying to make it through the week. He is still injecting my foot with steroids every week and doing some nerve blocks here and there to keep the overactive damaged nerves from firing pain signals to my brain constantly. The medicines he is giving me to sooth those nerves and non-narcotic pain meds all have dizziness listed as their #1 side-effect. Thus, I am not riding now. The Dr. is getting me more relief, but it is coming very slowly. At this time, I don't do anything that requires more than minimal walking, or I pay the price. I need more surgery, but can't have that done for a few months, and that is why I have my "summer off". If I can get to where I don't need to take those meds, that would get me closer, but I still have some strengthening to do in order to ride a bike. Glad I didn't do this to my left foot that I need to shift with, or it could be worse. I am kind of disheartened, but plan to be back on and riding when things are more favorable. Just posted so you would not think that I had decided that I could never learn to ride this bike. Enjoy and ride safely. wave.gif

Lots of great advice. I did not see much about parking though. I hate trying to brute force backing the bike out of parking spots. I tend to pick ones that I can pull out of, not back out. Being short enough that the toes are only down, hitting any gravel can through a foot off traction and dumb me and the bike. If I do not like the look of a parking spot, I'll take the time to walk the bike (next to, not on) out of the slot, Many times, I back into a slot to let gravity help back the bike in (down towards a curb). On my non bmw other bike (big cruiser), I tend to do 3 step turn arounds as opposed to u's. Again, I allow gravity to help out. Wait for clearing, pull to the crown, allow the bike to roll back, then forward and out.

Good luck. Practice. Get a second smaller bike to "play" on and do lots of practice on.

• 2 weeks later...
You are all so great! I am not just "giving up". Dr. didn't give me the go ahead to ride when I still have so much discomfort just trying to make it through the week. He is still injecting my foot with steroids every week and doing some nerve blocks here and there to keep the overactive damaged nerves from firing pain signals to my brain constantly. The medicines he is giving me to sooth those nerves and non-narcotic pain meds all have dizziness listed as their #1 side-effect. Thus, I am not riding now. The Dr. is getting me more relief, but it is coming very slowly. At this time, I don't do anything that requires more than minimal walking, or I pay the price. I need more surgery, but can't have that done for a few months, and that is why I have my "summer off". If I can get to where I don't need to take those meds, that would get me closer, but I still have some strengthening to do in order to ride a bike. Glad I didn't do this to my left foot that I need to shift with, or it could be worse. I am kind of disheartened, but plan to be back on and riding when things are more favorable. Just posted so you would not think that I had decided that I could never learn to ride this bike. Enjoy and ride safely. wave.gif

Sounds like you have digested all of the info and arrived at an informed decision. Likely you have made the right choice ... as pilots say ... better to live and fly another day [when all is not in your favor].

Archived