IGNORED

Mistook headlight modulator

TonyS

I am in the modulators bad camp myself...also agree it is very difficult to determine what the hell the rider is doing, and what speed they are traveling at. My personal experience has lead me to run my integrated fog lights (R1150RT) and motolights all the time....

I haven't had the problems some of you have described in judging speed, distance, and intentions when closing on a modulator-equipped motorcycle, but I do have a couple of (admittedly random) thoughts along those lines:

First, while this doesn't argue either for or against modulators, it occurs to me that you may have an eye problem. Excessive glare like that, which obscures objects, may be the result of an uncorrected astigmatism, cataracts, or some other undiagnosed condition.

My second random thought is that it's hard under any circumstances to judge the distance and speed of a motorcycle. Most motorists see far more cars than motorcycles and tend to develop a fairly reliable degree of intuition about a car's distance and speed based on their experience with the spacing between car headlights. Motorcycles, with either single lights or two parallel lights either deny the motorist that visual cue or, at worst, may appear to the motorist to be much further away than is actually the case--I've personally experienced the latter with dual-headlight bikes.

My feeling--and again all of us are offering no more than gut reactions, unaided by statistics--is that my use of modulators doesn't add to or detract from this confusion, but it does tend to cause the motorist, who under any circumstances can't accurately judge a motorcycle's speed or distance, to give bikes with modulated headlights a wider berth.

"it does tend to cause the motorist, who under any circumstances can't accurately judge a motorcycle's speed or distance, to give bikes with modulated headlights a wider berth."

agreed..Hell, I'm just happy if they see me.. clap.gif

"it does tend to cause the motorist, who under any circumstances can't accurately judge a motorcycle's speed or distance, to give bikes with modulated headlights a wider berth."

Or turn directly in front of them (like TonyS almost did), especially if they have an undiagnosed eye condition.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Talk about unsubstantiated claims….

Or turn directly in front of them (like TonyS almost did), especially if they have an undiagnosed eye condition.

Uh, he's quoting me and that particular statement was prefaced with "My feeling--and again all of us are offering no more than gut reactions, unaided by statistics--"

Now, go get your eyes checked. tongue.gif

Uh, he's quoting me and that particular statement was prefaced with "My feeling--and again all of us are offering no more than gut reactions, unaided by statistics--"

Now, go get your eyes checked. tongue.gif

I think this thread has gotten pretty interesting but as I can't read anything smaller than a size 18 font I'm having a hard time following it. It's time to put on my prescription face shield and go for a ride. eek.gifeek.gif

I just sold an 06 Goldwing with a Kisan headlight modulator on it..The modulator when installed correctly (and legally) modulates the low beam and not the high beam..It was very simple for me to remove one small wiring harness to make it modulate on the high beam but they are not designed that way..I suspect the one mentioned in the link was improperly and illegally installed.

I posted the link since I came across it for an unrelated search. I couldn't help but notice some of the similarities in the 2 threads.

What strikes me about the whole discussion here about modulators is that we are all motorcyclist. I suspect our view on them is a bit skewed by our own awareness of bikes in general and modulators specifically.

I don't think there are, but I wish there was a study as to what the non-riding public's perception of them are. After all they are the 'target audience' so to speak.

Anyone ever get any feedback from non-riders about their reaction to them?

Couchrocket

Anyone ever get any feedback from non-riders about their reaction to them?

Yup... every time I ride. Wisdom is known by her children.
Rocket_Cowboy
I just sold an 06 Goldwing with a Kisan headlight modulator on it..The modulator when installed correctly (and legally) modulates the low beam and not the high beam..It was very simple for me to remove one small wiring harness to make it modulate on the high beam but they are not designed that way..I suspect the one mentioned in the link was improperly and illegally installed.

Interesting comment, because I've always been under the impression that modulators were supposed to be installed on the high beam circuit ... so that there was a mechanism to turn them off when not desired. The modulators I've seen come with a photo sensor to disable them at night ... but if installed on the low beam circuit, how would you turn off the modulator when not desired? The modulator connects inline between the bulb and harness, and I've not seen (nor have I ever installed, so I could be missing something) extra leads for some kind of override switch.

Interesting comment, because I've always been under the impression that modulators were supposed to be installed on the high beam circuit ... so that there was a mechanism to turn them off when not desired. The modulators I've seen come with a photo sensor to disable them at night ... but if installed on the low beam circuit, how would you turn off the modulator when not desired? The modulator connects inline between the bulb and harness, and I've not seen (nor have I ever installed, so I could be missing something) extra leads for some kind of override switch.

I was quite surprised when I had my dealer install the modulater on the 06 Goldwing. I too was expecting it to modulate the high beam. Before I left the dealership I discussed it with the service guy who told me that on that model it worked off the low beam..I expressed my disappointment and within 2 minutes he had removed a wiring harness and presto it was working on the high beam.. I was happy until I began riding it..It was way too bright and definately very obnoxious, not at all like the one on my RT or others I have seen..This thing actually had other vehicles pulling over for me when I would come up behind them..

Modulators can legally modulate the high beam, the low beam, or both. I use a Kisan, which modulates the high beam. Kriss manufactures different modulators that can modulate whatever you want modulated.

Modulators can legally modulate the high beam, the low beam, or both. I use a Kisan, which modulates the high beam. Kriss manufactures different modulators that can modulate whatever you want modulated.

Mike,

I'm just saying that the Kisan modulater for the 06 Goldwing operates the low beams unless you modify the wiring harness and after modifying the wiring harness and putting it on the high beams it was unlike any I've ever seen before..If you were to see it you would agree that it should not be legal and I suspect it is not..They told me there was something different about this model...

I understand. I was just trying to clarify that you can legally modulate any of your headlights. I can see where that or the high beams might be excessive, especially on the Wing, which has more lights than a 747.

I think the modulators are a nuissance. Both while driving a car or riding my bike. I've noticed bikes coming up behind me and I see the headlight mod. and think that they are trying to flash me down or something. Then I am taking my attention and trying to figure why this guy is flashing his lights at me. Also if used around dusk they hit other motorists mirrors and eyes and cause "night blindness". I do not like them and think that there are plenty of other ways to make yourself visible. I use reflective tape and smart defensive driving to keep my space free of other vehicles. So far it seems to work.

...just my humble opinion...

I think modulators is a good way to provoke road rage. Flashing your lights is another way of using a "visual horn" instead of your finger or horn to "payback" another driver. California is loaded with drivers with short fuses, guns packers and gang bangers. Why "light" one up with your modulator?

I just insatalled a modulator on my high beam. I see all the points, positive and negative and I'm on the fence right now. I think I'll only use it around town in city traffic and on wide open two lane roads. Not on the freeway or controlled access highways. Mine modulates the high beam and I can turn it off utilizing my euro switch.

I have gone to great lengths to be conspicuous, fog lights, Kisan running and vectra lights black and white RT_P.

The more I try to be conpicuous the more I realize that I need to ride like I'm invisible.

I saw a picture a while ago of a car that turned left in front of a police bike in California that had his flashing strobes and siren going. There are plenty of people out there with the mentality that they are coming through and everybody else better make way for them. Drive defensively, ride defensively, live defensively.

The more I try to be conpicuous the more I realize that I need to ride like I'm invisible.
Wise ones them there words. thumbsup.gif

Archived