IGNORED

My Baby/Honey is learning to ride!!!! Yipppeeee!!!

Firefight911

I just signed up my beautiful bride, Jamie (2bmwfan), for the MSF Basic Rider Course!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I, and she, are so excited for her to take this next step. She has been my back seat driver (pun absolutely intended grin.giflmao.gif) for a while now but is ready to set out on her own bike.

In some ways I am really scared. Not for what you might think. I am worried she will never want to ride 2-up again once she is out on her own bike. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

Oh well, we'll just have to get the FRS set-up and ride 2-up while in formation with our own bikes.

If there are any others out there in the Sacramento, CA area who want to take the course with my wife, here is the site. HERE

She is signed up for the January 20, 2007 class start date, 7 AM - 12 Noon.

I love you honey! Do well and get ready for the ride of your life!!! clap.gifwave.gifthumbsup.gif

In some ways I am really scared. Not for what you might think. I am worried she will never want to ride 2-up again once she is out on her own bike. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

I'd be more worried about her wanting YOU to ride on the back for a while! eek.giftongue.giflmao.gif

Way to go Jamie! clap.gifthumbsup.gif Now you can give him a run for his money. lmao.gif

I'd be more worried about her wanting YOU to ride on the back for a while! eek.giftongue.giflmao.gif

Way to go Jamie! clap.gifthumbsup.gif Now you can give him a run for his money. lmao.gif

Be afraid, be VERY afraid! Hadn't thought of it that way!!!

HONEY.... Oh honey!!!!!!!!!

Be afraid, be VERY afraid! Hadn't thought of it that way!!!

HONEY.... Oh honey!!!!!!!!!

I guess you better make sure that honey-do list is in order! LMAO!! lmao.gif

<smack> - OUCH!? Honey? What do you mean I shouldn't say things like that..... dopeslap.gif

Congrats Jamie.

As we all know, you're a lucky guy Phil.

So, we'll look forward to the two of you with your Concours and her r1200r in Torrey. smile.gif

Yay Jamie!

Have fun...but be prepared to soon hear yourself say things like "I only did 6 track days this year? What's up with that? I need a raise so I can do more..."

or

"sure...I've always wanted to ride 'The Dragon', or ride to Torrey, or see TWO, or (fill in the blank)...Let's go!"

clap.gifthumbsup.gif

Jamie is so gonna rock as a rider! As far as riding pillion goes, I ride on the back of my Jamie's bike once in a while. It makes him happy and sometimes it just doesn't make sense to take two bikes. It was much harder to give up that control factor once I'd ridden my own bike though, that's for sure! As for you riding on the back, cowboy up pal. All the firefighters are doing it. wink.gif Here's My husband on the back of my bike going up and down Palomar Mountain and lane splitting in the rain on the 15. He also rode pillion on my R1200C over the Grand Mesa in Colorado and to Creed. I was one year new to riding then and he was back there enjoying the scenery! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

By the way, he pretty much sucks as a pillion. He tries to steer from the back! eek.gif

28220557-L.jpg

Congratulations Jamie!! I look forward to riding with you!

You have not lived until you have ridden B&*ch/////pillion on the back of a trike..... eek.gif

(I'm not admittin' nothin'!!!)

So, is that what you kids are callin' it these days?! eek.gif

As for you Lisa, she who must be (and willingly is) obeyed will NOT be doing more track days than I! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif But then again, if she gets with you and ends up at Pahrump and Femmoto, who only knows what will happen!!

Hey, Russell wanna hang out?? frown.gif

You go, Jamie, mmmmmmmkay!?! thumbsup.gifwink.gif Feel free to ping Heidi if you'd like to compare notes. She began leaning into that learning curve about a year ago.

Phil, I can't really describe what this transition has been like for me. There's something both cool and a bit unnerving about seeing one's dear wife up ahead or in your mirrors for the first few times you ride together on separate bikes. For me, it has been more cool than unnerving, but that little bit of unnerving puts a perspective on what Heidi might have been thinking as I picked up riding again a few years ago. Regardless, enjoy!

103748414-M.jpg

Heh, heh. <Rubbing hands together> Next thing you know, "Uh, honey, don't take this the wrong way, BUT dog.GIF your body position through that turn was ALL wrong. baldy.gif Why, of course, I'll bring the video camera to your track day. fall.gif Uh, honey, Lisa's doing the Helen Reddy 'Chicks are Rockin and Kickin' their Hubby's Butt' Ride for Breast Cancer awareness, PMS headaches, and continued world domination in BFE. I won't be more than 5 or 27 days and I'm really sorry, but no, you can't even be my pit be-yotch. No mens allowed. It's the rules." Annie.gif

And then Honey needs to "borrow" your bike "for a little while until I can get my own/better/new bike" and you're left with this.

Yup, have a great Thanksgiving, buddy! thumbsup.gif Hey, there's always Mac vs. PC threads left for you and.... blush.gif

I just signed up my beautiful bride, Jamie (2bmwfan), for the MSF Basic Rider Course!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Yeah, that's what I said. But wait until she goes out on her own and you sit fretting the whole time she is gone. Or she is following you and you blow a stop sign because you are paying more attention to her in your mirror than to your own riding.

Now I know what my mother felt like.

Yankee Dog

Thank you all for your warm wishes, thoughts, tips, and all the Bi-yotches....those made me laugh!! lmao.giflmao.gif

I can see it now " hey Phil (1bmwfan) let's go for a ride, ooh no, we are going to take mine. Get on bi-yotch!" lmao.giflmao.gif

I am really excited to take this next step. Thanks again for the good lucks, welcomes, and laughes!! You all rock! clap.gif

Well, at least half of ya'll will know something about handling a moorsickle. Oscar.gif

AdventurePoser
Thank you all for your warm wishes, thoughts, tips, and all the Bi-yotches....those made me laugh!! lmao.giflmao.gif

I can see it now " hey Phil (1bmwfan) let's go for a ride, ooh no, we are going to take mine. Get on bi-yotch!" lmao.giflmao.gif

I am really excited to take this next step. Thanks again for the good lucks, welcomes, and laughes!! You all rock! clap.gif

I imagine you will feel they way I do when I watch Jennifer fly. She is evolving into a very competent paragliding pilot. Still, I opt to launch first when we fly together...I love watching her fly, but there is that twinge of nervousness and worry about "what if..."

Those are tough feelings to put aside, but I know she is happiest in the air, and has the skills to deal with emergencies. It will be the same with Jamie! thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Congrats on taking the course!!! clap.gif It's something my Lovely has wanted to do for a while. I'm sure her day will come soon.

BTW, I'm sure once you start to ride, you'll be getting lots of unsolicited advice from, umm, I'll just say other riders. Don't let him, uhh, I mean them, distract you. Augie.gif

Happy trails! wave.gif

CONGRATS JAMIE..........CONGRATS TO BOTH OF YOU REALLY !!!

Just think; you get to buy another bike, double your insurance costs, have twice the costs of maintenance and on and on.......

I wouldn't trade it for anything....Kathy is a very good rider and is avid about it, I love to ride with her.......

My best friend came over for garage/bike talk the other day with Kathy and I and as he left he said "I think it's great you two ride together but I'm glad I don't have the costs of 2 BMW's"....

It's great and the cost is incidental to the enjoyment........

You two are in for a new experience together.....Enjoy.....

Phil.......Redbrick

THATS GREAT JAMIE!!!! You gotta love it when a woman wants to get into riding a bike...its so cool!!!thumbsup:

My wife got her license this Spring...took the MSF course. I took it with her just for fun, and to support her. I shut up thru the whole class and let them do the teaching. AT the end, when they tested us, out of 36 students only one got a perfect score. Yeah...ME. grin.gif I walked away quite smug over that. She protested..."but thats not fair...he's got experience". grin.gif

By the way...she got 2nd highest, tied with another student, a male. She did a Great Job...I was proud!!! But....I was still the master. grin.gif

Actually the scores are irrelevant to the knowledge and skills they learn. That really is the whole fundamental reason of the MSF. Those instructors do a great job in taking a complete novice and teaching them how to operate and maneuver a motorcycle safely. I was AMAZED by everyone's progress. thumbsup.gif

Sooo, that was MAY....FAST FORWARD to two weekends ago. We went riding;just a 2-3 hour jaunt through the backroads,twisties around here in WV. When we got back I asked how was the pace, since I'm always conscience of staying within her comfort zone. She says,"Well, You were goin kinda slow....I was even thinking of passing you cause you were really just in the way...especially when we got to the twisties" eek.gif

Yeah...ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!!

Good Luck Jamie! clap.gif

R1200ST (Hers)

R1200GS (The slow poke's)

This is just so cool

Jamie, I just can't wait for your first DVD or 50 CC or(fill in the blank) while Phil is on Station duty.

I can hear Phil now.... "an be sure to post lots of pictures"

If you get a chance to read the course handbook before class, you will be glad you did. I think you can download (but not print) the handbook from the MSF website. Also, trust your instructors when they talk about counter-steering, counter-weighting and related concepts that sound counter-intuitive (jeeze 3 counters in one sentence). Finally, memorize the phrase "slow, look, press, roll" prior to class. I give this advice to all my students - only a minority seem to take it, but they are the ones scoring highest in skills evals. Go figure! Have fun.

Advice for your SO -- probably best not to observe her doing the range work. Some students feel pressure (that you are not intending) rather than your intended support. I always ask the cheerleaders to leave the range until the day is over. If the SO wants to help via practice at home, ask the instructor at the end of exercise 9 (end of Sat range) for pointers (what we call coaching). For newbies, clutch contol is the major skill needing practice. If the student is already skilled in use of a clutch (car or bike) this point is nil. Oh yeah, use the time before class to strengthen her left hand -- shes going to "squeeze and ease" about 500 times in 2 days.

If you get a chance to read the course handbook before class, you will be glad you did. I think you can download (but not print) the handbook from the MSF website. Also, trust your instructors when they talk about counter-steering, counter-weighting and related concepts that sound counter-intuitive (jeeze 3 counters in one sentence). Finally, memorize the phrase "slow, look, press, roll" prior to class. I give this advice to all my students - only a minority seem to take it, but they are the ones scoring highest in skills evals. Go figure! Have fun.

Advice for your SO -- probably best not to observe her doing the range work. Some students feel pressure (that you are not intending) rather than your intended support. I always ask the cheerleaders to leave the range until the day is over. If the SO wants to help via practice at home, ask the instructor at the end of exercise 9 (end of Sat range) for pointers (what we call coaching). For newbies, clutch contol is the major skill needing practice. If the student is already skilled in use of a clutch (car or bike) this point is nil. Oh yeah, use the time before class to strengthen her left hand -- shes going to "squeeze and ease" about 500 times in 2 days.

All good advice! After teaching the MSF course for 9 years, I learned along time ago to not teach your SO!!!!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Congratulations! This is certainly the right way to go about it. clap.gif for the MSF and the rider training that they offer. I hope you both have many years of enjoyable riding ahead of you.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Phil,

That is so cool the Jamie is getting her own set of wings! Nothing to be afraid of yet but if she passes you on the outside some day in the future then I would be scared! Heh, heh! I look forward to riding with both of you in the future.

Hey I just thought of something, that means you will have two bikes to chose from. That's not fair!

Cheers!

Todd smirk.gif

Her class starts on January 20th. She will be done before the end of January!

She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!

She is really looking forward to the motorcycle show this weekend as she is looking for "her" now! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Her class starts on January 20th. She will be done before the end of January!

She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!!

She is really looking forward to the motorcycle show this weekend as she is looking for "her" now! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

If you come down on Saturday, swing by the BMW MOA booth (booth 132) and visit. I'll be there from

2:30-8:00.

I look forward to hearing the passing news smile.gif

Her class starts on January 20th.

Sweet! The MSF emergency stop exercise...on ice...can be a real brown moment.

Ah, learning!

thumbsup.gif

To Phil and others....and I know there are some on the board that have experiences such as these.

It truly is both a blessing and a curse if you love your partner frown.gif

After Deb took her MSF and we did parking lot instruction for weeks thereafter, she was doing really well and handling the bike beautifully.

Then....We were out on a nice sunny Sunday when she hit some road snot while turning left at a T junction and lowsided. The bike just had a broken windshield, scratched engine guards and bent clutch lever was all but we then discovered (after she rode home then went to work the next day and almost passed out when she got home) that she had broken 2 ribs and collapsed a lung. This was due to her carrying a small hard plastic tube for her earplugs in her breast pocket (WARNING TO ALL!!)eek.gif

However, the experience of seeing her disappear from my mirror was VERY unnerving.

The last emotional straw (for us both!) was when she wrecked in the twisties on 39 West of Kerrville. We were out for a nice casual ride when I saw her go off the road in my mirror and a cloud of dust rise up. She ended up down a small gully and had end over ended on the bike. I can't tell you how I felt when I went back to the spot, ran down and saw her lying on the rocks. Fortunately we are ATGATT and she ended up with bruising and a small area of gravel rash (Rev'it gear thumbsup.gif). However, the only salvageable part of her gear was her BMW boots. Afterwards, she was so mad at herself because she KNEW what she did wrong - she had looked away from the road at an architectural feature on a ranch and...tada! she went where her eyes were looking. Since then, she has found it hard to 're-trust' herself after almost ending up dead because of a momentary lapse of attention.

She loves to ride pillion (still), tell's me that she gets bored with the view on longer rides (back of my helmet instead of the road ahead!)but she still get's the occasional urge to get back on a bike. However, she still has the self doubt...and, to be honest, I miss our rides together but I know now that I would worry like hell about the lady I love.

So, that's the OTHER side of the "Yippeee!" equation.....you can't baby 'em, just love 'em but when something like that happens it is probably one of the scariest and most emotional moments you will ever experience frown.gif

But, all that being said, go for it girl and I hope you both have many happy and uneventful rides together thumbsup.gif

Philby,

I can certainly relate to the concern, but I haven't experienced the crash yet. crazy.gif

It is one of my greatest fears, but Leslie is an amazing pilot and aside from a few very minor drops due to terrain, extreme slopes or hurricane force winds she's been solid as a rock . . . thankfully! thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately for me she no longer enjoys riding pillion as much now that she's had her own set of handlebars and I really miss having her cuddling up behind me. frown.gif

Oh, she still jumps on now and then for logistical reasons if we're just running somewhere close, but I still enjoy her humoring me anyway. smirk.gif

Jamie,

I do understand your concern but I truly hope you don't EVER have that experience and that you and Leslie have many fun and uneventful miles together thumbsup.gif.

Actually, Deb is a GREAT pillion....we've ridden Deals Gap, Cherohala etc plus all the Hill Country fun roads together and it's like she is part of the bike and I secretly enjoy her cuddling up behind me smile.gif. The bonus being that when I am riding well she gives me a little squeeze with her legs to know that she too is enjoying it cool.gif

One fun story is of our run down TX118 from Fort Davis to Terlingua (about 110 miles) when we visited Big Bend National Park earlier this year. I was truly "in the zone" that day and 118 is a fantastic road with great fast sweepers and there was no traffic. We did the 110 miles in about 1h15m. The ride and the road all seemed so easy, fast and smooth and I had all the corners nailed....when we arrived back at the campground Deb got off the bike, flipped up her helmet and shouted at me "That was &*&$#@ fantastic!" and that she thought that I had never ridden any better cool.gif!

The flip side to all this is that she also gives me the occasional "nudge" when she thinks I am getting a little too 'feisty' on the corners but (please don't let her this), generally, she's right wink.gifwink.gif

That sounds great! My wife neverliked being a passenger and I have never cared for having a passenger. So she took the basic rider course a couple of years ago, we got her a bike, (Honda Shadow ACE), and we now both really enjoy riding together. She rarely ventures off by herself, but the confidence level is slowly increasing with experience. We took our first overnight trip to Burlington, VT this summer which went very well. Next year we hope to ride to FL to visit our daughter.

You'll enjoy riding with your wife and I'll bet she won't go back to pillion riding!

I started riding with two friends. One, my girlfriend, rode with me for several years and then decided she wanted her own ride. I taught her to ride and we got her a nice 350 cc Honda. Althought she was a proficient rider and would ride her bike with me she always was a bit gun shy drivng her bike in traffic. Never had the ncessary aggressiveness in traffic that is required riding in these parts.

After we broke up she rode for a bit longer on her own. Then, around the same time, she and my riding budy each decided to quit riding and sell their bikes. Neither of them ever went down nor had an accident. They each had those small voices of worry in the back of their heads as they rode and decided to hang it up. I thought this was the best decision each of them could make. Some folks we know never should drive a bike; and some learn its not for them before they get hurt.

• 1 month later...

Since my beautiful bride is just too bashful . . .

She had her first day of class on Saturday, Jan. 21. All classroom on this day.

She showed up at 630 AM, worked all they way through until they got out at about 1130 AM and ended up with a 96% on the written.

WooHoo!!!! My wife rocks!!

Next Saturday, she has her first riding portion. Sunday will be the second and final.

I am proud of you honey!!!! thumbsup.gifclap.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif

After she is done and has license in hand she will decide if she wants to go for it and get a bike. We will then get her going!!!!!

Lisa, you may have a Femmoto rommie!!!!!!!! grin.gif

Russell, umbrella duty for us!!! Half shirts and shorts with socks and loafers!! eek.gif

We will be doing some basic skills stuff this week on her dirt bike. FINE-C, blind fold controls drills, etc.

This is so fun and scary! I don't mean scary from the "get hurt, crash, blah, blah, blah" standpoint, but from the, "What do you mean you don't want to ride 2-up", and "You're going where with SeaBiscuit, Norah, Laney, and 90% Angel????"

Congrats Phil~

My wife just finished the class today, 100% on the written and passed the skills portion. It's awesome to see them learning! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Great times ahead clap.gif

She will have a blast since the class is so much fun for the students and her accomplishments will be evident by the big GRIN, as the light of learning gets brighter through out the day! smile.gifsmile.gif

Suggestion:

Let her tell you what she wants to practice from the class room book with some static practices. She will find it easer to learn the techniques correctly verses having to correct bad ones she may develop practicing this week so don’t over do it. You might want to spend some time with her learning how to use the clutch with out moving the bike more than a couple of feet.

Attitude is everything! If she is as enthusiastic as you are she will probably do well. clap.gif

Keep us updated.

Yahoo!

Go Women, go!!

Russell, umbrella duty for us!!! Half shirts and shorts with socks and loafers!!

Don't forget. Black socks and a wristwatch too! lmao.gif

Russell, umbrella duty for us!!! Half shirts and shorts with socks and loafers!! :eek

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gif

Oh. Congrats to Jamie. thumbsup.gif

Archived