IGNORED

Riding mantras

GelStra

As I was riding home last night, I got thinking about the scripts, sayings, mantras, whatever you want to call them that are a part of my everyday survival. Thought it might be helpful to throw them out there and see what one's you use.

1. The bike goes where the eyes go.

2. Who's going to try to kill me next?

3. Steady throttle through turns.

4. Never stop flying the plane (works for bikes, too.)

5. Pretend you are invisible.

6. NooB's taste just like chicken. (Thanks, Gleno!)

7. You have about 45 seconds from the time the garage door starts opening until SU gets in the house.

Rules to stay alive.

Next?

Joe Frickin' Friday

The Bene Gesserit Litany against Fear

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Relax your grip. grin.gif Ok, relax your grip NOW, you moron! dopeslap.gif

That cage is going to come into MY lane, so get out of the way (it's my road anyway so I'll do what I want)! grin.gif

Stay AWAY from the seams / tar snakes! eek.gif

Lean baby, lean! thumbsup.gif

...and last but not least...,

NO FEAR!! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

The Prime Directive of Group Riding: Don't hit the rider ahead of you. (Dick Frantz version: "If you run into me, you'd better hope you do not survive the crash." lmao.gif )

When in doubt, Throttle (unless you're over 80 years old then stand on the brakes) lmao.gif
You mean 5 years from now I'll have to stand on the brakes? Forgitaboutit! grin.gif

Dick Frantz version: "If you run into me, you'd better hope you do not survive the crash."

Uh, how does that fit in with:

"Nonviolent Communication: www.cnvc.org

Compassion, Regard, Understanding, Connection."

russell_bynum
Dick Frantz version: "If you run into me, you'd better hope you do not survive the crash."

Uh, how does that fit in with:

"Nonviolent Communication: www.cnvc.org

Compassion, Regard, Understanding, Connection."

He'll give you a hug and tell you to have a nice day before he pounds you into a pulp. thumbsup.gif

Among others:

No unauthorized overtaking. I must first get my permission. No joke. Also when I come close to home, no thinking of what lies ahead there, but concentrate on my riding the same as when I started out the ride. And absolutely no head turning to inflict my angry look when passing idiots (non-effective anyway because of full-face helmet + sunglasses). cool.gif

Francois_Dumas

ALL other traffic participants are complete 100% morons... so I think for THEM as well as for myself...... That kept me out of trouble so far smirk.gif

This Bike Can Do More Than Me tongue.gif
Along those lines:

I'd rather low-side than high-side or go off the road.

(Knowing full well that unless there is "something" on the road, the tires will hold long after I feel they should have given up.)

Hey, kids, are we paying attention here? This wasn't just for my learning. Threads like this bring out the collective wisdom that has been such a factor in my love for this place. Now I know Paul and Dick Frantz's wheel time (Thanks, Leikam for that link) and the sheer volume of learning they can pass to everyone here. But everyone who has responded is helping to make all of us better. (TN Girl, thumbsup.gif) Thank you all. I applaude you. Keep it coming. Who knows? That pearl that the NooB throws in, the person nobody here knows, might just save your leather some day as it flashes in your cranium at just the right time.

3. Steady throttle through turns.

Steadily increasing throttle through turns is better, according to Messrs. Code and Spencer and me.

From personal experience:

Don't outrun your headlights.

If you see a garden rake bouncing end-over-end on the road in front of you, aim for it.

Yes, crap from unsecured loads can fly across four freeway lanes, so stop thinking to yourself, "Nuh-uh. No way it's ever gonna fly all the way over here and hit me." Time's a wastin'!

And one for Michael (also from personal experience): Cheesus Crust! Buckle your g-damn chin strap before pulling out!

Note: that last one may need to be repeated three or more times.

1. Trust Nobody. (My Nephew has that written on the mirror stems of his GS.)

2. Blue Hair = Death. (Saw that one on a sticker at a bike show.)

Pasted on my speedometer: YOU'RE INVISIBLE

2 pearls of wisdom bestowed by our Principal Skinner, back when he was known as Quotatious Dude:

1. The Bigger & Uglier Rule: If it is bigger and uglier than you, f#ck not with it.

2. He who angers us conquers us.

The latter keeps my blood pressure down amidst all those cellphone-yakkin', latte-sippin', massive SUV-drivin', lane-straddlin', don't-give-a-flyin'-flip-about-anyone-or-anything-else numbskulls we must share the road with.

Francois_Dumas
Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast.....

Hey! I'm an expert on that !!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Love many of the remarks in this thread... great fun and some good wisdom thumbsup.gif

Seriously, I can't believe no one has said ATTGATT...

I was gonna say MOTGMOTT, but it's not so much of a mantra as it is my default state.

A lot of good ones here so far. A couple of my "bible" concepts:

Always know your "out".

I.e. - Always have and know your current escape path.

Think, maneuver first, brake second.

I.e - You can maneuver your way our of more "Oh _hit!" situations than you can brake your way out of.

russell_bynum
1. Lanes are for cars. I am not a car. I am a motorcycle.

2. B-b-bot d-d-dots are f-f-fun!

3. Ride through traffic, not in it.

Good ones.

If a mantra is something that you repeat over and over again ....

"Only a fool breaks the two second rule."

"Bambi ... Bambi ...stay away ... stay away ..."

Archived