IGNORED

Is there a consensus on tire best buys?

Bruce_SoCal

Bruce_SoCal

I just passed 9300 miles on stock tires. Is there a tire consensus on what is generally the best buy? Ninety percent of mileage is commuting to work and back on California concrete slabs, so I would like a high mileage tire, but not so high that I can't have fun too! I want a good buy but do not want to sacrifice quality.

Consensus? On the subject of which is the best tire? That's hilarious... grin.gif

Everone knows it's the Avon Azarro ST.

Lineareagle
I just passed 9300 miles on stock tires. Is there a tire consensus on what is generally the best buy? Ninety percent of mileage is commuting to work and back on California concrete slabs, so I would like a high mileage tire, but not so high that I can't have fun too! I want a good buy but do not want to sacrifice quality.

'Ya can't have one AND the oootherr'

I am riding M Z6 second set, first set ran approx. 12,000 miles. Great tire. Check inflation and run Metzler recommendations!

is this a good tire for wet weather? I am soon to need new tires and what a tire that does well in the rain. this weekend's riding through the rain made me want a better tire.

is this a good tire for wet weather? I am soon to need new tires and what a tire that does well in the rain. this weekend's riding through the rain made me want a better tire.

I have found these tires to perform well dry or wet and even provide pretty good mileage to boot. They are not the cheapest available (maybe 10-15% higher than cheapest available) but are the best overall value I've found. They wear a little funky toward the end of life but then again most tires do on the telelever bikes.

When I did my research before my new tires the word I got was the Z6. I bought 'm, I rode 'm, I love 'm, I recommend 'm.

Z-6's, I'm getting 10,000 miles plus, but here's the real anal part.

I have found 800- 1000 miles of 'slab' need to be then balanced out with 300 miles of twisties to prevent "chicken strips" (is that the right term?).

Sounds like the ME880 would be perfect for you, run them at 38f 40r for best mileage.

For high mileage, you can't beat the Metzeler ME880 Marathons. You can have fun on them, too, but if you're a peg scraper you have to be smooth. If you just like to ride briskly, they'll be fine. Some riders have reported 15,000 miles and more.

well 3000 miles on a pair of bridgestone bt020 on my rt1200 and replaced them with metz z6s rear threw to the wires at 3000 miles and the front still going.

so what tyres last ?????

Hi,

I'll 3rd or 4th the recommendation that the 880's are the best high mileage tire out there.

Recommend www.swmototires.com as your best online source.Free shipping if you buy two tires,often the best prices to be found.

JR356

JR,

What bike are you riding? The ME 880 isn't made in the 180/55 ZR-17 size for my 06 R12RT. The closest match is the 170/60 VR-17. I am not crazy about going a size and speed rating down from the BMW spec confused.gif

well 3000 miles on a pair of bridgestone bt020 on my rt1200 and replaced them with metz z6s rear threw to the wires at 3000 miles and the front still going.

so what tyres last ?????

What are you doing to your tires to wear through them in 3000 miles?! I have BT020s on my RT. The rear has 6000 miles on it and has half its tread left.

JR,

What bike are you riding? The ME 880 isn't made in the 180/55 ZR-17 size for my 06 R12RT. The closest match is the 170/60 VR-17. I am not crazy about going a size and speed rating down from the BMW spec confused.gif

Hi,

Sorry,should have noted your bike.

Mine's a 98 K12RS,it takes the 170/60 you mentioned.

Others have mentioned that they wish the 880's came bigger.

Look at the Avon Azaro,Michelin Pilot Road,MetzlerZ6,or Pirelli Diablo Strada.

Pirelli recently(now expired)had a deal of buy a rear,get a front free on the Diablo Stradas. I've got a set in the garage waiting for the 880's to wear out.

Hopefully after my Fresno to TOR rally in CO.,to Portland,OR,to Laguna Seca Moto GP trip in 3 weeks,this will happen.

JR356

Thanks for the clarification. I will order the Z6's this morning. There are enough reports to support that they can last 8000 miles and they have the sporty grip I am looking for.

Aluminum_Butt

Though getting a consensus on brand/style is tough around here, most seem to be able to agree on one thing: If you're inclined to mount them yourself, or have a place that will mount tires bought somewhere else, the best place to source tires is Southwest Moto Tires ( www.swmototires.com). The prices are great, and the shipping is free with the purchase of two tires.

Quote....

"I just passed 9300 miles on stock tires. Is there a tire consensus on what is generally the best buy?"

Did I miss something in the posts?...What are "stock tires"?......

Bridgestone's, Pilot Roads?

Phil.......Redbrick

RD, I completely agree, SW Moto is the best. I have placed three multi tire orders through them in the past and I just ordered a pair of Z6's from them. I don't need to deal with anyone else based on their excellent service and great pricing. BTW, I do change my own tires on a NoMar tire changer. A few more sets changed and it will have paid for itself plus I know the job is done right without scratched wheels smirk.gif

Red brick, that is good mileage, but what tires came with your bike? Two up? Model Bike? wave.gif

Mudman........That was my question to Bruce....I'd be interested in knowing what his "stock tires" were.......

Phil..........Redbrick

so what tyres last ?????

What are you doing to your tires to wear through them in 3000 miles?! I have BT020s on my RT. The rear has 6000 miles on it and has half its tread left.

He's probably doing the same thing I am. Riding hard in the mountain twisties. I can burn through a Z6 rear easily in 3000 miles if I want to. I used to worry about wearing out tires until I figured out how much fun I'm having. I have a VFR with a little over 2000 miles on it and the OEM BTO2O won't make 3000. Sure has been fun though..... thumbsup.gif

Portland Oregon police are using Diablo Stradas due to wet weather tractability. These guys ride in the rain alot and I've talked to couple officers who swear by the Diablos.

I can't vouch for wear characteristics but I'm having a set mounted this weekend. I'll let you know about wear next year.

RT Fink

Bob- are those pressures valid for "portly" riders? confused.gif
I'm no lightweight - around 230. You can put another 2lb in each tyre and I would if I had a passenger. In fact on my cross country runs on the freeway I ran 40-42 and got better tyre mileage, it definitely gives a harsher ride though.

Bruce...

Would really like to know what your "stock tires" are.......9,300 miles is pretty exceptional mileage...

Any two-up riding?...Any canyon work with the bike?

Phil.......Redbrick

What am I doing wrong? I just got but 7K miles on the Z6s on my R1150RT. Down to the steel in back. Pressure 38/42. 600 miles a day for 12 days. Mostly reasonable speeds. Mostly solo. 90% secondary roads. KS, OK, CO (partly) and UT were quite hot. Theories?

One thing is the Metzler site suggests 34 F / 36 rear for your tire pressures. They also add you can add up to 3 PSI to the rear for two up or heavy loads. It sounds like your tire pressures might have been a little high. The high heat can also accelerate the tire wear frown.gif

I am leaving for AK with new Z-6's on my 06 RT. I will try their recommended pressures. I need to get better than 7000 miles or will have to plan a stop for tires on the way home.

I am riding M Z6 second set, first set ran approx. 12,000 miles. Great tire. Check inflation and run Metzler recommendations!
The only way I could get 12K out of a set of Z6's is if I trailered it and that ain't happening. My Z6's went at 6K. Do you trailer your bike allot? grin.gif

Now, Metz 880's lasted for 11K with same kind of riding, and there was still some rubber left on them, not much, but some.

As for the lowest prices I have found with free shipping was HERE at SW Moto.

Portland Oregon police are using Diablo Stradas due to wet weather tractability. These guys ride in the rain alot and I've talked to couple officers who swear by the Diablos.

I can't vouch for wear characteristics but I'm having a set mounted this weekend. I'll let you know about wear next year. RT Fink

I have gone through a rear Diablo Strada in 4500 miles. Worst wear and worst feel for a tire yet to go on my RT. People that ride with me say I am a smooth rider. The wet traction was fair but not confidence inspiring as they did slip a bit; traction over painted lines (I do pass allot) and tar snakes is horrible. The ME880's are tremendously better tires, there really is no comparison. I will not put another set of Diablo Strada's on my bike.

So, the two dealers who put Z6s on my bike and put the pressure at 38/42 were setting me up for poor tire wear? I put a fresh set of tires on before my 8K trip, expecting to get home with them, but had to replace them 1200 miles short. The dealer along the way only had Z6s to fit my bike, and set the same pressures. I would have gone back to the Pilot Roads if he had them, but I only got 8.5K out of them, at 36/40, and not on a long trip, but the usual mix or riding here at home. Both dealers said that the slightly higher pressure would maximize longevity.

I plan to go with Metzler's recommended pressures. They fall within the range of BMW's recomendations. I will trust their recomendation over the dealers or interenet groups until I learn differently. Not all the possible tires for fitment on the RT are built the same so why would one inflate all of them the same? A couple of PSI can make a difference so I will go with the tire engineers on this one and roll the dice to see what wear I get. cool.gif

...due to wet weather tractability.

Tractability? What do you mean?

I think it means ability to maintain traction, I'm not sure if I made this word up or if it stuck in my mind from some marketing propaganda. If no one has copyrighted it I'll take credit for having coined this new word.

RT Fink

Hi,

Just remember that whatever pressures you use,you only want about a 10% rise in pressure going from cold to hot.

JR356

phil. For the best prices for the z6 tires I found the susuki dealer in santa clearita had some decent pricing. 112 for rear 97 for front & tax. they mounted them for 75 drive in. I take my honda there and the machnics are mature and do the changes themselfs. not use helpers . they did a good job on the rt.

Thanks Couselor, I've ordered a set of Pilot Road for "Angel" . Like my wife and my daughter, she loves to get a new pair of shoes. This will my first time in my "street" life not running Metzeler.

Gregg

So, the two dealers who put Z6s on my bike and put the pressure at 38/42 were setting me up for poor tire wear?
Not at all, I played with the pressures on my Z4s when I first got the RT, at the recommended pressure I got about 5K out of a Z4, increasing to 38-40 got that up to about 8-9K, running at 40-42 added another 1-2k but I didn't like the way it felt. Now I use ME880s at 38-40 and get about 12k front and 10k rear.

Outlying point: at 40psi and riding mostly cross country on I10 I once got 19k out of a front Z4, it was really shot though at that point.

Have any of you tried the Michelin Pilot Road tires on a R1200RT? I've heard good things about them and am about ready to buy.

My bike came with Pilot Street Tires. I only have 1800 miles so far, I can't really comment on wear. The turn in and grip is outstanding on both dry and loose dry surfaces. I have most of my miles near home in the Sierra mountains. I have scraped a couple times in turns and no problem with the tires. The braking performance is great too. Had a car pull out on me and I had to brake hard, no drama, the tires performed very predictably.

The only downside so far has been the tires can be very noisey depending in road surface. Noisey enough that it sounds like a bearing going south. Earplugs and full-face helmet takes care of that. I have tried different tire pressures but no abating the tire noise. If they wear well I am likely to get another set.

Hope this helps wave.gif

What's a good time to replace tires? I have ME880's with about 6000k miles on them now, I think. Front is fine but the rear is wearing. Tread going across middle is pretty thin. Looks like there is a flat spot forming in center of tire. No steel showing and bike still sticks in the twisty's. But I'm planning a week-long trip in August and don't want any problems on the road.

Suggestions?

GreggBates

As the "retire" day is tomorrow, I did the math last night on what I have sqeezed out of these Z4s; front 10,600 miles, rear 8,500 miles.

That's a new record for me.

Actually most of that was done by the prior owner, only the last 3,000 is mine.

Gregg

"Have any of you tried the Michelin Pilot Road tires on a R1200RT? I've heard good things about them and am about ready to buy"

I have Pilot Roads on my 1200RT with 5,500 miles on them (2,000+ my miles) and I think the front will go another 2,000 with the rear probably somewhat less with a flat spot..

I like the tires. smile.gif..They ARE noisy; particularly when leaning in turns but it's not a deal killer with me...I'll replace them with the same tires...

Phil........Redbrick

I also have an 05 12RT, which came with Pilot roads. I like the tires with the exception of the noise. I ride N GA, NC and TN mountain roads, mostly, but have just completed a 5000+ mile trip to NM and CO, and passed 10,000 miles on the way home. My pilot roads still have a couple thousand miles left, based on the wear bars.

That said, I still think I will try the Conti Road Attacks next time, and compare the tire life.

Cheers, Lynne

GreggBates

Be carefull Lynne, my wifes BMW 4-wheeler (3 series convertible) came with Continental tires, they were the worst tires I've ever had.

Don't know how that relates to their 2-wheeled line, but thought I'd share with you.

Gregg

Suwanee,Georgia

Thanks for the heads up, Gregg. I am also not sure how the car tires would relate to the M/C line either, but there have been several positive posts here re: the Road Attacks.

Lynne

Archived