Jump to content
IGNORED

2024 Fall Appalichian Riding Tour (FART) Sept. 25-29 Natural Bridge, VA Hotel Registration Info


Indy Dave

Recommended Posts

BerettaRacer

Booked in.

No single kings available, hotel or veranda, had to book a dbl queen.

Link to comment
Indy Dave
1 hour ago, BerettaRacer said:

Booked in.

No single kings available, hotel or veranda, had to book a dbl queen.

That's not true. I don't know if you read the prior instructions about rooms and how they're being allocated.

 

 

Link to comment
BerettaRacer
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

That's not true.

I spent 15-20 min on phone with her, (AFTER I pressed #1, as per the instructions)  :4315:

She insisted none avail. :5223:

Link to comment
Indy Dave
On 6/18/2024 at 3:40 PM, Indy Dave said:

PLEASE NOTE: Our block of rooms is allocated between the Main Hotel and the Veranda, AND between rooms with King beds & 2 Queens (Main Hotel) and King & 2 Double beds (Veranda). As rooms are reserved, the hotel is and will be adjusting our room block allocation as needed - adding more king rooms and/or shifting rooms from one area to the other (Main Hotel to Veranda, etc) as needed. 

 

If you have an issue getting the type of room you want - please PM me (don't post to the thread - as it causes confusion). EXCEPTION: Once the ground floor rooms are gone in the Veranda, they're gone - can't do anything about that. :read:

 

:5170:

 

I know it's a lot to ask to keep up on the thread. 

 

I'm away on business, but have called our contact. If you are not satisfied with your room arrangements, as requested above, please PM me with your preferred housing arrangements.

 

Thank you very much. 👌

Link to comment
roadscholar
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

 

I know it's a lot to ask to keep up on the thread. 

 

No need to get snippy, you're the one that wanted this job.  :classic_biggrin:

Link to comment
Indy Dave

I was being serious actually. Most folks don't read through the thread.

 

By the way, since you are, I assume you've made your reservation, eh? :lurk: :whistle:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
roadscholar

I don’t even ride motorcycles anymore, they’re dangerous contraptions : )

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Indy Dave
4 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I don’t even ride motorcycles anymore, they’re dangerous contraptions : )

Well..... I'm glad you don't let that stop ya from posting here and squeezing my jimmies while I'm busy out of town and.... adding insult to injury....not getting the riding in I thought I would.

 

 

  • Smile 1
Link to comment
roadscholar
50 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Well..... I'm glad you don't let that stop ya from posting here and squeezing my jimmies while I'm busy out of town and.... adding insult to injury....not getting the riding in I thought I would.

 

 


No worries, I get it, as a long time organizer of rallies and rides I like to needle the boss once in awhile, keeps them alert : ). A thankless job for sure, keep it up. Besides that I like hanging out in the car thread and following TEWKS’ adventures so probably not going away anytime soon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, roadscholar said:

 

…………. you're the one that wanted this job.  :classic_biggrin:

And doing a great job at it to boot.  
 

  • Like 1
  • Plus 1 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Dave Stephens

We're in for 2.  Made reservations online for the Main Hotel with no problems. Used the secret handshake code as instructed :grin:

 

  • Like 3
  • Smile 1
Link to comment
Indy Dave

Welcome Dave - glad the process went well and was sucessful. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Indy Dave

 

PLEASE NOTE: THE REGISTRATION PROCESS HAS BEEN REVISED ON THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

IF you have an issue, please PM me.

 

Thanks one and all - and thank you all for working with us to get you the room you want.

 

 

 

 

15 hours ago, roadscholar said:

 

No need to get snippy, you're the one that wanted this job.  :classic_biggrin:

 

This issue is that well-meaning riders provide information - based on their experience - that contradicts official event information. This serves to create confusion and misinformation. Our team is happy and want to hear if anyone has issues reserving accommodations - we're here to serve. But this needs to be done via PM so we don't create confusion by posting inaccurate information. When something is posted on the thread that affects important issues like event registration (as is the case here) - it requires the BBR's to respond forthwith  :read: - and sometimes doing so is considerably inconvenient. This is one of those times, and the issue in question we had attempted to head off with a prior post. 

 

Maybe only guys who don't ride anymore have time to read through all the threads! :4617:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
greiffster

I'm in Wed-Sun.  We'll see if Nicol can get the time off.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic
Rockosmith
On 6/19/2024 at 11:00 PM, BruinsFan said:

Im gonna do my best to get rite between RockoSmith room and Bernie's room so they can drag me out of bed for this one.

I’ll bang in your door relentlessly starting at 6:00!😜

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

That might not work... he might already be at some Waffle House getting coffee and maybe ( hopefully) some long legged waitress!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 6/17/2024 at 11:18 AM, Indy Dave said:

 

@TyTass to the Red Courtesy Phone, please.

 

Craig has developed routes for the event this year (in conjunction with Bernie). Craig is very familiar with the area and has created routes for several Unrallies, Art's and BRR's.

Sorry so late ...

 

BTW: Both Terri and I are IN! Wed - Sun.

 

Jan,

 

So happy you guys are going to make it. And welcome back!

 

It's a beautiful area. Typical of the Blue Ridge (Southern Appalachians), there are oodles and oodles of roads, because the mountains are smaller than out west, and they have been "settled" for about a century longer.  In general, the interstates bypassed the old roads rather than replacing them but sometimes because of topography, we jump on them for a short bit. Some of the old US Hwys are still fantastic roads. But many of the really old roads, the ones that go into hollers and up and over gaps, have been continuously maintained (though saying "maintained" is being kind at times). Some of them are favorites of Appalachian riders.  These are the uber-tight twisties underneath "green tunnels" of tree canopies> But worry not, there are also more predictable sweepers with longer sightlines on the various hiways, as well. 

 

Suffice to say, it's not open and expansive like out west, but one doesn't need ride a few hours to the next turn. Sometimes, it's only minutes as I've said, there are lots of options. However, GPS is often inaccurate as to what is paved and unpaved, what is passable and what is not (for big bikes) should you end up off-road.  So, using the routes provided by the host team is highly recommended so you aren't stuck with the major trafficky roads, sitting at lights in town after town, ride to dead-ends, fences across the road, etc.  The "art" in making routes for the ART events is knowing which roads bypass such things and keep the ride progressing with the fewest stops, stringing roads of various types together to create a unique riding experience per route.  

 

For this event, we are attempting a few minor changes based on attendee input:

  • Providing more short route options
  • Presenting some as simple loops (less technical)
  • Presenting others in the standard 2-Leg options, where:
    • the 1st leg takes the rider(s) to a planned lunch stop
    • Several 2nd leg options to return the rider(s) to the hotel
      • What's different about that this time is:  
        • the shorter 2nd leg option will be less technical
        • the longer will have more technical roads
          • where technical is defined as roads with much poorer road surfaces, tighter twisties (like rising switchbacks), etc.

 

Don't get me wrong, there will be technical routes as always. But the shorter routes and legs will be easier.  We can't cover all bases and options, but when we put the routes and the data package out, anyone would be able to create their own set of routes that meet their desires specifically. 

 

The routes are generally posted 4-6 weeks prior to the event. 

 

OK, I believe that more than covers it.   Any questions, please don't hesitate. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Brunhilde
On 6/20/2024 at 11:18 PM, Dave Stephens said:

We're in for 2.  Made reservations online for the Main Hotel with no problems. Used the secret handshake code as instructed :grin:

 

Just to be clear, I'm Dave's +1. We're good friends, but not THAT close!:4322:

  • Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Indy Dave
15 minutes ago, Brunhilde said:

Just to be clear, I'm Dave's +1. We're good friends, but not THAT close!:4322:

So you're available? :4607:

  • Smile 1
Link to comment
Twisties
22 hours ago, TyTass said:

Sorry so late ...

 

BTW: Both Terri and I are IN! Wed - Sun.

 

Jan,

 

So happy you guys are going to make it. And welcome back!

 

It's a beautiful area. Typical of the Blue Ridge (Southern Appalachians), there are oodles and oodles of roads, because the mountains are smaller than out west, and they have been "settled" for about a century longer.  In general, the interstates bypassed the old roads rather than replacing them but sometimes because of topography, we jump on them for a short bit. Some of the old US Hwys are still fantastic roads. But many of the really old roads, the ones that go into hollers and up and over gaps, have been continuously maintained (though saying "maintained" is being kind at times). Some of them are favorites of Appalachian riders.  These are the uber-tight twisties underneath "green tunnels" of tree canopies> But worry not, there are also more predictable sweepers with longer sightlines on the various hiways, as well. 

 

Suffice to say, it's not open and expansive like out west, but one doesn't need ride a few hours to the next turn. Sometimes, it's only minutes as I've said, there are lots of options. However, GPS is often inaccurate as to what is paved and unpaved, what is passable and what is not (for big bikes) should you end up off-road.  So, using the routes provided by the host team is highly recommended so you aren't stuck with the major trafficky roads, sitting at lights in town after town, ride to dead-ends, fences across the road, etc.  The "art" in making routes for the ART events is knowing which roads bypass such things and keep the ride progressing with the fewest stops, stringing roads of various types together to create a unique riding experience per route.  

 

For this event, we are attempting a few minor changes based on attendee input:

  • Providing more short route options
  • Presenting some as simple loops (less technical)
  • Presenting others in the standard 2-Leg options, where:
    • the 1st leg takes the rider(s) to a planned lunch stop
    • Several 2nd leg options to return the rider(s) to the hotel
      • What's different about that this time is:  
        • the shorter 2nd leg option will be less technical
        • the longer will have more technical roads
          • where technical is defined as roads with much poorer road surfaces, tighter twisties (like rising switchbacks), etc.

 

Don't get me wrong, there will be technical routes as always. But the shorter routes and legs will be easier.  We can't cover all bases and options, but when we put the routes and the data package out, anyone would be able to create their own set of routes that meet their desires specifically. 

 

The routes are generally posted 4-6 weeks prior to the event. 

 

OK, I believe that more than covers it.   Any questions, please don't hesitate. 

Sounds Great!  Thanks.  We'll watch for the routes before the event.  In the meantime, thanks for the synopsis!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
On 6/23/2024 at 2:51 PM, TyTass said:

Sorry so late ...

 

BTW: Both Terri and I are IN! Wed - Sun.

 

Jan,

 

So happy you guys are going to make it. And welcome back!

 

It's a beautiful area. Typical of the Blue Ridge (Southern Appalachians), there are oodles and oodles of roads, because the mountains are smaller than out west, and they have been "settled" for about a century longer.  In general, the interstates bypassed the old roads rather than replacing them but sometimes because of topography, we jump on them for a short bit. Some of the old US Hwys are still fantastic roads. But many of the really old roads, the ones that go into hollers and up and over gaps, have been continuously maintained (though saying "maintained" is being kind at times). Some of them are favorites of Appalachian riders.  These are the uber-tight twisties underneath "green tunnels" of tree canopies> But worry not, there are also more predictable sweepers with longer sightlines on the various hiways, as well. 

 

Suffice to say, it's not open and expansive like out west, but one doesn't need ride a few hours to the next turn. Sometimes, it's only minutes as I've said, there are lots of options. However, GPS is often inaccurate as to what is paved and unpaved, what is passable and what is not (for big bikes) should you end up off-road.  So, using the routes provided by the host team is highly recommended so you aren't stuck with the major trafficky roads, sitting at lights in town after town, ride to dead-ends, fences across the road, etc.  The "art" in making routes for the ART events is knowing which roads bypass such things and keep the ride progressing with the fewest stops, stringing roads of various types together to create a unique riding experience per route.  

 

For this event, we are attempting a few minor changes based on attendee input:

  • Providing more short route options
  • Presenting some as simple loops (less technical)
  • Presenting others in the standard 2-Leg options, where:
    • the 1st leg takes the rider(s) to a planned lunch stop
    • Several 2nd leg options to return the rider(s) to the hotel
      • What's different about that this time is:  
        • the shorter 2nd leg option will be less technical
        • the longer will have more technical roads
          • where technical is defined as roads with much poorer road surfaces, tighter twisties (like rising switchbacks), etc.

 

Don't get me wrong, there will be technical routes as always. But the shorter routes and legs will be easier.  We can't cover all bases and options, but when we put the routes and the data package out, anyone would be able to create their own set of routes that meet their desires specifically. 

 

The routes are generally posted 4-6 weeks prior to the event. 

 

OK, I believe that more than covers it.   Any questions, please don't hesitate. 

Absolutely spot on. This area is one of my absolute favorites and we make many two and three day weekend trips up to Roanoke and ride the roads in that area both East and west of interstate 81. You can certainly find lots of technical stuff, but there is a plethora of wonderful curvy roads that won’t scare bejesus out of you.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Stresspuppy

Woo hoo!! 2 hours from my house and 10 minutes from my in-laws. 

 

I'm in!

 

Roll in Wed night, out Sunday. Staying in the main hotel.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Indy Dave

Look who's FARTing and smelling up Natural Bridge (The No Frills dial-up version)

 

1

wbw6cos

2

Wbw6cos 2

3

Bernie

4

Boxflyer

5

Marcopolo

6

MikeB60

7

DyAnne

8

John Ranalletta

9

Dr. Ruth

10

Indy Scott

11

Indy Dave

12

TSConver

13

bluenoserwife

14

bluenoser

15

BMW_Ken

16

BamaJohn

17

Rocksmith

18

Motorhead1977

19

Amy

20

Chris K

21

Twisties

22

Twisty

23

Bill Murray

24

9Mary7

25

Krid

26

Christine

27

brorke

28

RandyShields

29

TN_R_Girl

30

RtinNC

31

Mark Mikita

32

BruinsFan

33

BerettaRacer

34

Dave Stephens

35

Mrs. Stephens Brunhilde

36

S.O.B

37

N.O.B

38

greiffster

39

Nicole

40

Wait Apex

41

TyTass

42

Terri

43

Stresspuppy

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Indy Dave featured this topic
Motorhead1977

Dave, add in my buddy Matt V.  He was at START 2024 with me except he could ride but I had a medical note so couldn't LOL.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Indy Dave

Look who's FARTing and smelling up Natural Bridge (The No Frills dial-up version)

 

1

wbw6cos

2

Wbw6cos 2

3

Bernie

4

Boxflyer

5

Marcopolo

6

MikeB60

7

DyAnne

8

John Ranalletta

9

Dr. Ruth

10

Indy Scott

11

Indy Dave

12

TSConver

13

bluenoserwife

14

bluenoser

15

BMW_Ken

16

BamaJohn

17

Rocksmith

18

Motorhead1977

19

Amy

20

Chris K

21

Twisties

22

Twisty

23

Bill Murray

24

9Mary7

25

Krid

26

Christine

27

brorke

28

RandyShields

29

TN_R_Girl

30

RtinNC

31

Mark Mikita

32

BruinsFan

33

BerettaRacer

34

Dave Stephens

35

Mrs. Stephens Brunhilde

36

S.O.B

37

N.O.B

38

greiffster

39

Nicole

40

Wait Apex

41

TyTass

42

Terri

43

Stresspuppy

44    Matt V

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
toddfjc

In Wed - Sun and Cigar John joining same dates too.

Thank you Dave for organizing the event again!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Bill Murray

I know that @Folkdancer48 has made his reservations for FART. I am working on persuading my riding buddy Dennis Barlow to join us too.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, brorke said:

DouginNC will be attending also

 

Awesome!! So looking forward to this one !

  • Like 3
Link to comment
steveknapp

Room booked. Hotel was very nice to deal with.

Confident I'm "in". Specifics TBD. I might be bringing a friend. 

  • Like 5
  • Smile 1
Link to comment
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, steveknapp said:

Room booked. Hotel was very nice to deal with.

Confident I'm "in". Specifics TBD. I might be bringing a friend. 

Super. Looking forward to seeing you 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Dave rich

David and Donna Rich with the F6b will be riding up with David Smith Wed. thru Sun.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Twisties
23 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Look who's FARTing and smelling up Natural Bridge (The No Frills dial-up version)

 

1

wbw6cos

2

Wbw6cos 2

3

Bernie

4

Boxflyer

5

Marcopolo

6

MikeB60

7

DyAnne

8

John Ranalletta

9

Dr. Ruth

10

Indy Scott

11

Indy Dave

12

TSConver

13

bluenoserwife

14

bluenoser

15

BMW_Ken

16

BamaJohn

17

Rocksmith

18

Motorhead1977

19

Amy

20

Chris K

21

Twisties

22

Twisty

23

Bill Murray

24

9Mary7

25

Krid

26

Christine

27

brorke

28

RandyShields

29

TN_R_Girl

30

RtinNC

31

Mark Mikita

32

BruinsFan

33

BerettaRacer

34

Dave Stephens

35

Mrs. Stephens Brunhilde

36

S.O.B

37

N.O.B

38

greiffster

39

Nicole

40

Wait Apex

41

TyTass

42

Terri

43

Stresspuppy

44    Matt V

 

Sharon's board name is @Bullett.  I think you have her as Twisty at 22 on the list.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Just convinced my 2 Canadian buddies to join.  Lance & John will be riding down from Waterdown ON on RS’s 👍👍

  • Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Indy Dave
On 6/20/2024 at 10:48 AM, TSConver said:

Not sure if we will make it or not.  Susan will still be recovering from knee surgery so attendance will depend on that process.

 I can't see a little thing like KNEE surgery keeping Susan down! :read:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Indy Dave

We're gonna stink up the place! High-Speed Bandwidth update coming soon!

Yup - One more dial-up low tech update   :computer:  

Screenshot(56).thumb.png.83bb41d45a7a199c11c2903b6f3e3283.png

 

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Rougarou

 

 

Used to have the fax tone as my ringback,......telemarketers would immediately hang up

 

Now back to your regularly scheduled scheduling talk

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, AppFan said:

In for Wed - Fri

 

 :5188:

Another”Charlotte Crew” 😂

 

Going to be fun!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Another”Charlotte Crew” 😂

 

Going to be fun!!

Thanks for the push. Looking forward to it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
CowboyJim

I am in also from Wednesday - Saturday. It looks like an awesome time, I can't wait!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
bluenoserswife
On 6/21/2024 at 6:48 AM, Indy Dave said:

 

PLEASE NOTE: THE REGISTRATION PROCESS HAS BEEN REVISED ON THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

IF you have an issue, please PM me.

 

Thanks one and all - and thank you all for working with us to get you the room you want.

 

 

 

 

 

This issue is that well-meaning riders provide information - based on their experience - that contradicts official event information. This serves to create confusion and misinformation. Our team is happy and want to hear if anyone has issues reserving accommodations - we're here to serve. But this needs to be done via PM so we don't create confusion by posting inaccurate information. When something is posted on the thread that affects important issues like event registration (as is the case here) - it requires the BBR's to respond forthwith  :read: - and sometimes doing so is considerably inconvenient. This is one of those times, and the issue in question we had attempted to head off with a prior post. 

 

Maybe only guys who don't ride anymore have time to read through all the threads! :4617:

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa 🤦‍♀️.  

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...