IGNORED

Old guy question

Thomasj4412

Thomasj4412

So I’m getting back into the sport after a couple years off and in my mid 60s now, was that the FART in 2019 2020, and I took the 2001, 1150 GS out for a spin the other day, parked it in a field to get a picture and because the field was Waterlogged it just went right over and I couldn’t get it up by myself. A chap came along and was very helpful to get it back up. So my question comes in has anyone else got to the point where they thought your usual heavy top-heavy ride might be too much for them and considered a smaller bike and if so, what did you choose? 
thanks…

Tom

(formerly ThomasJ before an email change)

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

OK, you will think me crazy but in 2016 I sold my 2004 R1150RT and bought a very low miles 2010 Yamaha FJR1300 and right away on a test ride I thought I was on a completely different bike where weight distribution is concerned.  The FJR seemed far less top heavy and way more maneuverable to me and I couldn't believe it.  Here we are 7 years later and I still find the FJR to be less top heavy and more maneuverable.  I'm a little older and can't put the FJR on the center stand without a piece of 3/4" plywood under the rear wheel  but at age 80 what the heck.

My story and I'm sticking to it!

• Like 7
  • Smile 1
Thomasj4412

I could have used her help! I tried doing that but the side stand had augered into the turf and the ground was wet so no traction. I like street mainly but dirt roads call loud so I occasionally follow.

• Like 2

It's not really an 'old guy' question as much as a 'smart guy' question.  I had an LT for many years (223K) and loved it.  I noticed it was heavier to move around the garage and getting it onto the center stand, but while on a trip from WI to WV with my son he said 'Dad, the bike is too big for you.'   I ignored it for that season, but as I thought about it (compounded by trying to help aging parents in tough decisions and vowing to not be that kind of parent) I realized he is right.  I found a 2019 R1250 RT (250 pounds lighter).  I have come to love it.  This year I'm heading to Hyder, alaska and the west coast.  Next year (when I turn 75), I'm heading to Nova Scotia and PEI and the east coast.  When I get home from that, the extended warranty ends, and will once more sit down with my wife and family and see if I should continue riding.  Smart guys (not putting myself in that category) do the right thing.  It varies for all of us.  I've seen more ads this year for folks getting out of riding because of age or health than any other year.  I ride with a guy who is 83 and has just bought another bike.  Another friend is early 60s and can barely get his foot over the seat to get on the bike and has triked out his bike.   

Sorry for the ramble Tom, but do the right thing for you.  Your GS would be too tall for me, and my last physical confirms I'm not getting taller.  Perhaps others will have the bikes to suggest.  Please keep us updated on your decision-and don't park in anymore fields!

• Like 1
Skywagon

if you drop it a lot and can't get it up backing it up, then maybe this would help.

Hosstage

Peter Egan, a noted writer specializing in automotive and motorcycle subjects, has written about riding a Royal Enfield Himalaya, and being quite enamored with it. He too is approaching the age of decisions about future riding, and took the Himalaya for testing. He ended up buying one for himself, which says a lot since he can just about ride any bike he wants. He bought a 450 from a few years ago, I believe they have come out with a 650, or will shortly. A simple, smaller bike that is quite versatile and dual purpose.

• Like 1
Rockosmith

At 70 I am noticing my RT is getting a bit heavy and likely could not pick it up alone.  Recently got a Yamaha Tracer 9GT. 150 lbs or so lighter and more power than I can use. Lost some creature comfort but this thing is a blast in the mountains where I generally ride.  It is quickly becoming my “go to” ride.

• Like 6

@Thomasj4412

I have a 2018 Honda CB500X for exactly the reasons you are stating. Reasonably lightweight while still being an entertaining and comfortable bike to ride. Brought it to F.A.R.T. last year and it performed all that was asked of it, getting great gas mileage too.:burnout:

Edited by 9Mary7
added OP
  • Like 2
Thomasj4412

Thank you for all the recommendations...greatly appreciated...seriously. Some comments...

That jack gizmo sure looks slick...would need a wider bottom plate for turf issues.

In considering the bikes one thing that comes to mind is going from the GS' 84 hp down

to something like 47 hp of the royal enfield 650 line up...will that be too much of a hit? Guess

I will certainly need to try one first...then there's the Triumph T100 line at/near 64 hp that wouldnt

be so bad...whatever will need some saddle time first. Funny...in thinking back to my 74' 650 Bonneville

I rode in college at the time it was a rocket! Just showed the wife a video of the Tracer 9GT...she likes

it cuz its closer to what I have now...I'm surprised...happily!

Thanks again,

Tom

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Thomasj4412 said:

Thank you for all the recommendations...greatly appreciated...seriously. Some comments...

That jack gizmo sure looks slick...would need a wider bottom plate for turf issues.

In considering the bikes one thing that comes to mind is going from the GS' 84 hp down

to something like 47 hp of the royal enfield 650 line up...will that be too much of a hit? Guess

I will certainly need to try one first...then there's the Triumph T100 line at/near 64 hp that wouldnt

be so bad...whatever will need some saddle time first. Funny...in thinking back to my 74' 650 Bonneville

I rode in college at the time it was a rocket! Just showed the wife a video of the Tracer 9GT...she likes

it cuz its closer to what I have now...I'm surprised...happily!

Thanks again,

Tom

Get one of these side stand foot enlargers from Illium Works for the grass & soft pavement situations.  I have one.  Beats keeping a smashed beer can to toss on the ground.

30-100, SIDE STAND FOOT ENLARGER, 2014 and UP R1200RTW and R1250RT (30-100)

• Like 1
Lowndes

In defense of the aforementioned smashed beer cans, they are much less expensive, work admirably for the intended purpose of load dispersion on unsuitable surface soils, are most always readily available for some reason in most all of our regular haunts, and in a plethora of brands, sizes, and colours to suit the discriminating rider and make an unmistaken fashion statement matching your current stylish ensemble and/or pillion's hair hue du jour.

Not to mention the de rigueur recyclable affirmation. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 3

I have a few comments regarding the bike weight issue... which also applies to us, by the way, since at 160#, I simply can't lift more than a 230# guy in equal circumstances.

- First, I'd simply give up dirt riding, which is not only A LOT more dangerous for you, but for the bike too. And that includes just dropping it, and having to lift it somehow. On the streets, there's infinitely less chances of dropping a bike... and if it happens, it'd be at a gas station, at home, etc., where you should have help handy. And yes, avoiding that potential situation requires being careful how we handle the bike, and knowing where NOT to attempt to park it (like on a tilted -to the side- street).

- In case you end up with a downed bike and alone, and with no handy jack like the video above (pretty nifty), there's a proper method to lift the bike, than just trying to pull it up while crouched (a back disaster waiting to happen). And that is with your back against the bike, and pushing it up with your legs, which are a lot stronger than our backs and arms. It might not be enough, but I'd only attempt it that way.

- I owned an RT after an FJR, and the RT felt less top heavy to me... but it was significantly more top heavy than my current R1250R, which I'm very happy with, and fortunately, never down (hope it stays that way:grin:).

- Your chances of dropping a bike increase exponentially if you can't reach the floor properly. So it's imperative that we can flatfoot (or pretty close to it), in order to minimize chances of that happening. A GS is pretty tall.

- Finally, the difference between being able to 'save' my heavier R12150R, compared to a lighter SV650 (527 vs 434 lbs), like the one I borrow from my cousin at times, it's not that great folks. I could probably lean it a few degrees more before I can't hold it, but it doesn't feel like that much difference to me, due to the boxer having a significantly lower CG. So it's more a matter of simply adjusting our riding to avoid scenarios where going down is a matter of when, not if, like dirt riding. I don't do that anymore. Old bones don't heal like younger ones, so no sense in pushing one's luck IMO. Plus in my case, I'm not flexible, so any fall is more likely to cause me injury, even if bones were intact. Street riding is already dangerous enough, but barring an accident, at least we have more control about keeping the bike upright. But it's up to each individual how much risk one wants to take. I personally only ride for the twisties, and on weekdays, in order to minimize my risk. I'm not worried about dropping my bike... BUT I'm VERY careful where I tread, where I stop, and when I handle it:). It's still a heavy beast, but I don't want a freaking chain anymore, so it's probably my last bike. Hope to be able to still ride it for several years, but slowing down in the twisties wouldn't be fun for me at all, so when that inevitably happens, I'd be done with bikes. I don't think I'll go past 70, but I'm keeping in shape to extend it as much as possible, so we'll see:D. By the way, I only dropped my ex-GL1800, which was 900#, on a tilted street (lesson learned).

• Like 1
Darbarian

I love the cornering, braking and overtaking of Leo, but the weight is a concern - it is becoming increasingly difficult to manage at a stop or near stopped.  Dr Zee is so much easier, but it just does not come close to the BMW at highway speeds, or for cornering, or for braking, or for passing ...

I have inadequate experience with my R90 to decide if it really brings anything to the table for me.  I am still sorting little details on it trying, perhaps, to make a more modern bike out of it. 

I'm thinking 400-450 pounds might be more suitable for a 74-year-old ... and that 650cc would be plenty as long as the handling was good. 

• Like 1
Hosstage

Peter Egan's story of a summer with his Royal Enfield Himalaya.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/3500-mile-royal-enfield-himalayan-summer/

Because of this story, I've been paying more attention to Royal Enfield and their line of bikes. They've got some nice looking 350s, 450s, and 650s, in a few different configurations. Just the type for a new rider learning, or an older rider downsizing. Even a seasoned rider looking for a nice do-it-all runabout.

What helps make them even a little more attractive is their price,  certainly easy on the bank account.

At least that's the way I'm seeing them.

• Thanks 1
TSConver
On 3/24/2024 at 11:29 PM, Thomasj4412 said:

So I’m getting back into the sport after a couple years off and in my mid 60s now, was that the FART in 2019 2020, and I took the 2001, 1150 GS out for a spin the other day, parked it in a field to get a picture and because the field was Waterlogged it just went right over and I couldn’t get it up by myself. A chap came along and was very helpful to get it back up. So my question comes in has anyone else got to the point where they thought your usual heavy top-heavy ride might be too much for them and considered a smaller bike and if so, what did you choose? 
thanks…

Tom

Lifting these is all about technique.  How were you trying to lift it?

Thomasj4412
14 hours ago, TSConver said:

Lifting these is all about technique.  How were you trying to lift it?

I gave it a go like the gal in the video but a couple things made it tough...the turf was wet/slippery and because the centerstand augured in the grabbing spots (left side of the seat area) w much closer to the ground than if I put it on itside in the garage (from which I can pick it up using that technique).

One comment about the "Peter Egan's" article...reading that makes me want 2...one for me and one for my daughter to join me in adventuring...what a blast...or so it would seem. Now I'm looking at them.:4607:

Thanks again for the comments/suggestions.

• Like 1
Darbarian
On 3/27/2024 at 5:55 AM, Hosstage said:

Peter Egan's story of a summer with his Royal Enfield Himalaya.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-reviews/3500-mile-royal-enfield-himalayan-summer/

Because of this story, I've been paying more attention to Royal Enfield and their line of bikes. They've got some nice looking 350s, 450s, and 650s, in a few different configurations. Just the type for a new rider learning, or an older rider downsizing. Even a seasoned rider looking for a nice do-it-all runabout.

What helps make them even a little more attractive is their price,  certainly easy on the bank account.

At least that's the way I'm seeing them.

I have and cherished, I believe, all of Peter's books. I did not know he was still being published ... and am excited to follow that line.  I am also convinced by his review that I need to visit a Royal Enfield dealership. 

• Like 1

That article was from 2020, as an FYI. And I think he retired soon after that. Then I remember reading his wife died in 2021. I haven't read anything from him in a while, but I don't subscribe to magazines anymore. He might still write a column every once in a while, but who knows.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 12:56 AM, JamesW said:

OK, you will think me crazy but in 2016 I sold my 2004 R1150RT and bought a very low miles 2010 Yamaha FJR1300 and right away on a test ride I thought I was on a completely different bike where weight distribution is concerned.  The FJR seemed far less top heavy and way more maneuverable to me and I couldn't believe it.  Here we are 7 years later and I still find the FJR to be less top heavy and more maneuverable.  I'm a little older and can't put the FJR on the center stand without a piece of 3/4" plywood under the rear wheel  but at age 80 what the heck.

My story and I'm sticking to it!

Interesting story. I've owned my 2004 RT since new and have ridden a FJR and experienced the opposite. Where the FJR was extremely top heavy, I enjoy the feeling the RT gives when letting out the clutch, and the sensation that the bike seems to lose a lot of weight. Granted, it's not fun pushing it out of the garage, (600 lbs) but the Boxer motor, way down in the chassis has me often times trying to see how long I can go without putting my feet on the ground at a traffic light. Just my $.02.

• Like 1
Skywagon
2 minutes ago, RPG said:

I've owned my 2004 RT since new and have ridden a FJR and experienced the opposite

Me too. 

Hosstage

600 lbs., pish posh. Mini bike territory. Try pushing around 900 lbs. of Harley Ultra. Makes my 750 lb. RoadKing seem like child's play.

Once underway, those bikes feel well balanced with a low center of gravity, though that 900 pounder can be a bit ponderous when parking. Parking lot speeds aren't too bad on it as long as it's rolling.

Riding a 600 pound RT was a challenge at low speed with its much higher seat height and my stubby legs, but certainly felt lighter (especially when I dropped it and popped it right back up on its wheels, to the surprise of a few fellow riders). Underway it rode really well, still resonates with me 8 (10?) years later.

As an aging rider, I realize at some point a downsize will be necessary. Luckily, many choices out there, maybe not as many in the sport touring or just plain touring category, but I'll deal with it.

• Like 2

The fact is if you have the right attitude, you can make any bike into a sport touring bike.

Sport touring is more a style of riding then it is a style of bike. 

For excample the RS style boxer bikes are Sport touring bikes in Europe and sport bikes in the US.

While the RT and K1600GT are viewed as Sport touring bikes in the US and as luxury touring bikes in Europe.

Hell some guys think a 1200 HD Sportster with some bags and a windshield is a sport touring bike.

As they say, it is in the eye of the beholder. :bike:

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
John Ranalletta
54 minutes ago, Bernie said:

The fact is if you have the right attitude, you can make any bike into a sport touring bike.

Sport touring is more a style of riding then it is a style of bike. 

For excample the RS style boxer bikes are Sport touring bikes in Europe and sport bikes in the US.

While the RT and K1600GT are viewed as Sport touring bikes in the US and as luxury touring bikes in Europe.

Hell some guys think a 1200 HD Sportster with some bags and a windshield is a sport touring bike.

As they say, it is in the eye of the beholder. :bike:

Hosstage

There was a time when I would have been all over that. Not sure I still want to put in that kind of effort.

Old_Mil

I always liked the look of the GS, but it was never inseam compatible.

I've had a Buell Ulysses (dry weight 425 vs the GS at 505) and currently ride a Multistrada 620 (dry weight 403 vs the GS at 505).

I've found that the CG of both brands is consistently lower than the BMWs I was familiar with.

• Like 1
Thomasj4412

That video following the Wing reminded me of one morning heading to work down a windy road from hwy 49 into Folsom  in central CA many years ago...was chuggin along at a good clip, feeling cocky about my stellar cornering skills when a Wing came up behind, blew past, and within 2 corners was out of sight. I was shocked and had plenty of humble pie for breakfast that day. Didnt realize what Wings were capable of with a competent rider.

• Like 1

I had one of the first ones (2001), also a 'bumble bee'. It had a frame recall that required completely dismantling the bike to fix, so didn't keep it too long. My wife didn't like riding, so had no use for it anyway. But yes, it was more capable that its size and weight suggested, but it wasn't fun to ride fast at all, even with rear preload maxed out. An RT ran circles around it. And maybe even a BMW LT of the same vintage.

On 4/19/2024 at 7:37 PM, Old_Mil said:

currently ride a Multistrada 620

My wife and I have had two of those......still miss 'em. Most underrated IMO.

Last fall I decided I wanted to go lighter, sold the GS1250 and bought the Aprilia Tuareg.  I thoroughly enjoyed my GS but it was the right decision for me. Ergos, etc. feel extremely similar, just less weight and lower COG so more effortless.

Only downsides for me were I miss my hill hold assist and TPMS. 

Darbarian

I just tripped over a nice 2011 BMW F650GS that could replace both Dr Zee and the R90 for about the same price. I rode it yesterday and agreed to buy it when he is finished using it at the end of this week.

What a sweetheart. Spousal unit dreams it might replace THREE bikes, while I seriously doubt that, it is a whole bunch lighter than Leo and has some potential, the RT is soooo nice and confident in the twisties...

I told her I am open to that as a possibility, but find it unlikely.

The new steed even comes with a zip-on tank bag and two aluminum hard cases... though if I was going far I still think Leo would get the nod. The 6-speed gearbox provides the right ratio for whatever I want at the moment and has a HUGE gear selector indicator removing all doubt. That and the analog gauges are all well thought out and the heated grip, signals and other switchgear look and work just like those on my R1200RT... familiar turf.

The GS putters along comfortably in the 15-25 mph range that Piglet enjoys, zips to 70++, cruises at 70++ without drama, accelerates quickly and easily in the 60-80mph overtaking zone, is at least 100 pounds lighter than Leo and feels well balanced at low and no speed. Its versatility has me thinking it could end up being "Jack" for Jack of all trades.

On 4/18/2024 at 5:47 AM, RPG said:

Interesting story. I've owned my 2004 RT since new and have ridden a FJR and experienced the opposite. Where the FJR was extremely top heavy, I enjoy the feeling the RT gives when letting out the clutch, and the sensation that the bike seems to lose a lot of weight. Granted, it's not fun pushing it out of the garage, (600 lbs) but the Boxer motor, way down in the chassis has me often times trying to see how long I can go without putting my feet on the ground at a traffic light. Just my $.02.

Yeah, I know what you're saying and it still surprises  me.  I bought the FJR from a guy in Montana and he kept the FJR in his aircraft barn with his light plane at the airport.  He suggested I take the FJR for a short ride around the airport while he located some paraphernalia to put in my automobile trunk so I did and the lightness and flickability of the FJR really amazed me.  I think the FJR has a lower stance than the BMW and for sure has a longer wheel base by a couple inches.  I had a problem with the FJR when putting it on the center stand so I purchased a new center stand for the 2015 model year which is about 3/4" taller than the '10 stand and it made a huge difference.  Then I lost about 60 pounds body weight and I just didn't have enough snort to go to the center stand any more but such is life.  Well that and I've aged a couple years.  In the intervening years since 2016 I've come to appreciate the FJR more and more and the reliability is phenomenal.  That's not to say I don't still like my 31 years old BMW as much as ever I have and I would take it in a heart beat to one of the new high tech wonders from der father land.  Just not my style at all.  Simple always wins the day, imo, and that's what brought me to BMW in '76 but things are much different now for sure and in my humble opinion not at all for the better.  Obviously this is just an old persons point of view.:5150:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

One other thing.  The ABS system, if I remember correctly, has something like a total of 16 bleeders and it was a royal pain doing a brake system fluid flush which I like to do every two years.  So, I finally couldn't take it anymore and removed the ABS modulator and had a non ABS bike with brakes that were nothing short of outstanding.  The linked ABS system on the 1150 was also imo a joke and this linked system caused me to drop my R1150RT twice once on each side and I had never dropped a bike before the 1150 and all because of that ridiculous linked ABS.  On each drop I found out what the rear view mirrors cost which were $200 each, grrrrrrrr......  The good thing in this story is that I got lucky and a guy actually purchased the ABS modulator for $500 so in the end all was much better.  So much for BMW and their marvelous engineering.  Took me quite a few years but I finally learned.  One other thought.  If I can't ride a motorcycle that doesn't have a gizmo like ABS or worse yet smart cruise control then imo I have no business at all riding a motorcycle period!  Oh, did I mention traction control come to think of another gizmo.  Even though the ABS system seems to be OK on my '93 R1100RS I plan to yank the ABS modulator when the bike is due for a brake system flush.  Anybody interested in a lightly used ABS modulator with under 15K total miles? 

Hey Bend Bill how's the vehicular congestion doing up there on the high plateau?  I thought about retiring at Bend or Redmond when Bend was only about 25K.  Thank heavens I didn't.  This is not the OR I used to know and love.:cry:

I'm 76 now and down to one bike, 1200RT. I love the RT, it's my fourth. Been riding Beemer twins since 1971, a R75/5. So I'm addicted to the feel, the sound, all of the traverse twin notes. My answer has been to accept my age and loss of strength, flexibility, and the rest. In golf, I use more club now for less distance. So be it. So I am now hypervigilant about not putting myself in awkward situations. Park on incline, avoid soft or unstable ground for kickstand, kickstand plate extender, plastic disk in bag for under kickstand if necessary, and so on. I'm more intentional about compromising situations. Does not take that long to rewire brain where these newer behaviors and decisions are now automatic. Good luck. Ride safe.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
30 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

I'm 76 now and down to one bike, 1200RT. I love the RT, it's my fourth. Been riding Beemer twins since 1971, a R75/5. So I'm addicted to the feel, the sound, all of the traverse twin notes. My answer has been to accept my age and loss of strength, flexibility, and the rest. In golf, I use more club now for less distance. So be it. So I am now hypervigilant about not putting myself in awkward situations. Park on incline, avoid soft or unstable ground for kickstand, kickstand plate extender, plastic disk in bag for under kickstand if necessary, and so on. I'm more intentional about compromising situations. Does not take that long to rewire brain where these newer behaviors and decisions are now automatic. Good luck. Ride safe.

Hi Bob, I can definitely relate and I can honestly say it doesn't get better with age.  I can tell a pretty significant difference from 76 to 80.  Had to give up golf all together because of degenerative disc disease and a touch of arthritis in my left hand.  Motorcycling will no doubt soon go by the wayside I have no doubt.  

I think my age has a lot to do with how I've come to view so called technical advances when it comes to motorcycles and automobiles which I admit clouds my thinking in these areas.  If I could only go back in time....if only.

5 hours ago, JamesW said:

The linked ABS system on the 1150 was also imo a joke and this linked system caused me to drop my R1150RT twice once on each side

I wonder how you managed that. Can't have been a locked-up wheel, as you said the ABS was working.

I've personally never had an issue with the linked ABS, but then again I think the RT's is fully linked (front engages when rear is applied) whereas mine all had the semi-linked (rear doesn't apply front) one.

1 hour ago, Tron said:

I wonder how you managed that. Can't have been a locked-up wheel, as you said the ABS was working.

I've personally never had an issue with the linked ABS, but then again I think the RT's is fully linked (front engages when rear is applied) whereas mine all had the semi-linked (rear doesn't apply front) one.

I'm sure it was due to the 1150's linked system that activated the front with the rear pedal....caused a lot of drops. The RT-P did not link front to a rear application, only rear to a front application. BMW wisely stopped linking the front to a rear application.

6 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I'm sure it was due to the 1150's linked system that activated the front with the rear pedal....caused a lot of drops. The RT-P did not link front to a rear application, only rear to a front application. BMW wisely stopped linking the front to a rear application.

I think you are absolutely correct.  My FJR also links the rear brake to the front but in a very mild way unlike the R1150RT.  Both of my drops occurred when making sharp turns at slow speed.  One drop occurred when making a right hand turn at a corner on a slope at a stop sign.  A passer by stopped and helped me pick it up.  When I got on the bike on the slight slop the bike began rolling backward and when I tried to stop I found I had no brakes thanks to the ABS system and what happens when the engine isn't running.  The guy that helped me saw what was happening and he managed to grab the front of the bike and stop me otherwise I would have been down again and it wouldn't have gone well at all.  I think the R1150 ABS system didn't have but a couple year run and that's a very very good thing, imo.  The '04 R1150RT really soured me on BMW and these forums dedicated to the new models have only reenforced my opinions.  My '93 BMW R1100RSL is my last BMW and I can say that with 100% certainty and of course being 80 years young kind of factors into that statement. lol..lol..  Oh and two hundred bucks for one of those rear view mirrors in 2006, really.....I MEAN REALLY?

15 hours ago, JamesW said:

Hey Bend Bill how's the vehicular congestion doing up there on the high plateau?  I thought about retiring at Bend or Redmond when Bend was only about 25K.  Thank heavens I didn't.  This is not the OR I used to know and love.:cry:

Hi, James W--sent you a pm

On 3/24/2024 at 9:29 PM, Thomasj4412 said:

thanks…

Tom

Back to the original question, I am picking up a 2011 F650GS at the end of this week. It is comfortable in the 10-20mph role following my wife on Piglet on the dirt roads around here as well as cruising at 70+ like the traffic on the main artery in The Bitterroot. It is much lighter and easier to handle at low and no speed than my R1200RT. I doubt it will replace Leo's twisty prowess, but the ease of use makes it a great utility bike and a possible contender as the only one.

• Dennis Andress featured this topic
2 hours ago, Darbarian said:

Back to the original question, I am picking up a 2011 F650GS at the end of this week. It is comfortable in the 10-20mph role following my wife on Piglet on the dirt roads around here as well as cruising at 70+ like the traffic on the main artery in The Bitterroot. It is much lighter and easier to handle at low and no speed than my R1200RT. I doubt it will replace Leo's twisty prowess, but the ease of use makes it a great utility bike and a possible contender as the only one.

Do you have any issue with the lower seat height? At 6'2" (38" inseam) it may not be a comfy option

Edited by Thomasj4412
clarification

My knees tend to be one of my weak links, but I did not think about them at all while on the F650GS. If you have not yet seen this cool ergonomic calculator you should.

https://cycle-ergo.com/

Huge database of bikes, bodies and how they fit together. 

• Thanks 1
On 4/23/2024 at 11:45 PM, JamesW said:

I think you are absolutely correct.  Both of my drops occurred when making sharp turns at slow speed.

Ah, that makes sense. I think it was supposed to be some kind of comfort feature, but I totally agree, for me it never made sense to activate the front brake when the rear is applied.

I think the RT was the only model that had that, all others had and have the semi-linked version, which works great. When I'm in the twisties, I usually have my "ball of the foot" on the pegs, so it gives extra control not having to move the foot all the time to reach the rear brake.

Despite my best efforts I seem to be becoming an old guy, too (69), and I’ve grappled to some extent with this question since I coincidentally have dropped a little over 50 lbs in the last year. I don’t think I’m weaker, but leaning into anything—a tipped over bike included—is a lot different at 190 lbs versus 240+. For me the current answer is a 1250 GSA, though I know it’s hardly a lightweight. I am a little more intentional in my choices as to where to park and…this is important…I’ve made a conscious effort to sharpen my skills. Last year I did the BMW two-day on/off road course. Among other things, it helped allay my fears of dropping the bike. 

The answer is different for each of us, but I’ve also seen small women, no more than 100 lbs or so soaking wet, maneuver and (wo)manhandle big GS’s with relative ease, so I’m motivated by the knowledge that, even as a geezer, I should be able to cope with a bike that a person half my size can handle. I guess that’s not an answer as much as a confession of “I’m an old guy now, but dadgummit I’m not giving up yet.” Meanwhile, I am sure of one thing—if I do anything close to serious off-highway riding I’m going to do it with a partner who can help get me out of a jam. 

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1