IGNORED

START 2024 Newport, TN Route Announcement.

2024 START Route Announcement

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are pleased to present the routes for the

2024 Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START). 

We have 11 (paved) SportTouring routes. There are 5 Routes with several return route choices of different length. There are also 6 Loop Routes, which are split into 2 sections for easier GPS/Nav APP operations. The numbers at the end of the route names are the total miles for this route.

You can choose to download the routes in one of two different options:

1) The first option is to download the single large GPX file, which contains all the routes, along with their associated Tracks, and WayPoints. 

Here is the download link for all the routes (including associated Tracks and WayPoints) in single large file: 

START 2024 Routes Download Link

2)  The second download option is the individual GPX file for each section of each Route, including the matching Track. 

Here are the brief descriptions of each route, along with the individual, applicable download links:

01 E Switzerland 123m Is an easterly ride to on of the highest areas to a nice little village (Little Switzerland) with a few nice restaurants and a nice coffee/book shop, 123 miles.

01A E Switzerland 182/305m is one of 3 different return routes to Newport, with plenty of twists, 182 miles.

01B E Switzerland 175/299m return route to Newport, 175 miles.

01C E Switzerland 147/271m shortest return route to Newport from Little Switzerland, 147 miles.

02 E Burns-HotSpr-Loop 131m first part of a short east loop to Burnsville, NC. Find several good lunch spots or coffee stops in town, 131 miles.

02A E Burns-HotSpr-Loop 82/213m return route to Newport, with a possible stop in Hot Springs, 82 miles.

03 N Lynch KY 138m route to Lynch, KY with a nice little coffee/restaurant stop, 138 miles.

03A N Lynch KY 166/304m the longer of the 2 return routes to Newport, 166 miles.

03B N Lynch KY 118/256m return route to Newport, 118 miles.

04 N Short Loop 143m north route to Pennington Gap, KY, 143 miles

04A N Short Loop 98/241m return route to Newport, 98 miles.

05 N Long Loop 144m north route to Pennington Gap, KY, 144 miles.

05 A N Long Loop 276/421m route from Pennington Gap north on winding roads to Pineville and Harlan, before returning to Newport, 276 miles.

06 S Dillsboro 111m southeastern route to Dillsboro, 111 miles.

06A S Dillsboro 222/333m route from Dillsboro to Robbinsville, over the Cherohala to Tellico Plains for a coffee stop or some refreshments and the TN Foothills Pkwy back to Newport, 222 miles.

06B S Dillsboro 161/272m from Dillsboro to Robbinsville using Deals Gap and the TN Foothills Pkwy to Newport, 161 miles.

07 S Loop 48m first part of short south loop exploring the TN foothills, 48 miles.

07A S Loop 45/93m return route to Newport, 45 miles.

08 SW Loop 48m a SW loop to explore some of the valley, ending at a covered bridge? 48 miles.

08A SW Loop 28/75.4m return to Newport, 28 miles.

09 SE Pisgah 93.5m southeast route to Pisgah Inn on the BRP, 93.5 miles.

09A SE Pisgah 183/277m return route using high country roads like NC-215, Charley Creek Rd, NC-281, NC-107, BRP, Maggie Valley, Max Patch, NC-209 and Hot Spring to Newport, 183 miles.

09B SE Pisgah 153/246m return route using the BRP to Maggie Valley, with a few twists, to Hot Springs using NC-209 to Newport, 153 miles.

10 W Brushy State Pen-Warden’s Table 109m is a West route to a Frozen Head state Park exploring some of the TN Valley, 109 miles.

10A W Brushy-Newport 218/327m return route going NW before returning using the TN Foothills Pkwy to Newport, 218 miles.

10B W Brushy-Newport 159/268m return to Newport using the TN Foothills Pkwy, 159 miles.

11 NW Loop 109m is a west route to a Frozen Head State Park exploring some of the TN Valley, 109 miles.

11A NW Loop 208/318m return route using a big north loop into KY to Newport, 208 miles.

No matter which downloads option you choose, please note that the routes were created in Garmin BaseCamp using City Navigator North America NT 2025.10. As always, it is advisable to recalculate the routes once you’ve opened them in your software and in your GPS unit. Make sure the mileage remains close to the original distance, before loading to your GPS device, because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours. You can also display the included Tracks with the matching route on your GPS, to verify the route accuracy.

Please note: After transferring the routes to your Garmin GPS unit and rebooting it, you will have the option to “Import All Routes”. You have the choice of either importing “All Routes” or you can select individual routes. IF you select “Import All Routes”, expect it to take around 35-45 minutes to complete this process and it may be advisable to supply your GPS with external power, to avoid depleting the battery. 

The GPX files can also be imported successfully into Garmin MapSource if you so desire. 

If you are using a phone app to navigate the routes, I would suggest using the above individual downloads links for the routes to download them into a folder on your phone, while you have a solid Wi-Fi connection. You can then transfer them to your Navigation App when you are ready to use them. 

For all routes, we recommend riding with another rider, or let someone know what route you are taken. Some of the sections of the routes are in very rural areas without much traffic. A friendly hand could be good, in case of the unexpected. Also don’t forget, cell phone coverage could be spotty in the hills or valleys.

Always take along some water and snacks.

Please also use the tracks provided. “PM” Bernie for more details or questions or use the ( Link ) >  Garmin BaseCamp GPS Guide.

Please start routes with a FULL TANK of gas and be sure to monitor your fuel needs, keeping in mind that some gas stations may no longer be in business.

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the user’s specific use and its incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device. 

Please feel free to post any questions you might have. 

Enjoy your ride and have a safe START 2024! 

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

A friendly Reminder to everyone that is using the routes for START 2024 or for any other ‘A.R.T. events!

The routes are for your personal use only.

By downloading these Routes you agree not to post, publish or share them.

Bernie and the BBR guys would appreciate if you do NOT post these routes on other websites or upload them for public use in Navigation Apps.

We make these routes for you and your riding friends private use.

You are welcome to save them and use them any time you like, now or in future. You are welcome to share them with your riding friends or your riding groups.

We just don’t want them to be used by Navigation Apps as their own routes.

Here is a map overview, displaying the different colored routes for START 2024 in Newport, TN. 

Created by Garmin BaseCamp.

26731DEF-563F-4F74-9FC2-10C003594070.thumb.jpeg.dbea3aab1ee460b8bea9128b9d1cfcd2.jpeg

Edited by Bernie
Corrected Map Data edition
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

2024 START Route Announcement

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ are pleased to present the routes for the

2024 Spring Appalachian Riding Tour (START). 

We have 11 (paved) SportTouring routes. There are 5 Routes with several return route choices of different length. There are also 6 Loop Routes, which are split into 2 sections for easier GPS/Nav APP operations. The numbers at the end of the route names are the total miles for this route.

You can choose to download the routes in one of two different options:

1) The first option is to download the single large GPX file, which contains all the routes, along with their associated Tracks, and WayPoints. 

Here is the download link for all the routes (including associated Tracks and WayPoints) in single large file: 

START 2024 Routes Download Link

2)  The second download option is the individual GPX file for each section of each Route, including the matching Track. 

Here are the brief descriptions of each route, along with the individual, applicable download links:

01 E Switzerland 123m Is an easterly ride to on of the highest areas to a nice little village (Little Switzerland) with a few nice restaurants and a nice coffee/book shop, 123 miles.

01A E Switzerland 182/305m is one of 3 different return routes to Newport, with plenty of twists, 182 miles.

01B E Switzerland 175/299m return route to Newport, 175 miles.

01C E Switzerland 147/271m shortest return route to Newport from Little Switzerland, 147 miles.

02 E Burns-HotSpr-Loop 131m first part of a short east loop to Burnsville, NC. Find several good lunch spots or coffee stops in town, 131 miles.

02A E Burns-HotSpr-Loop 82/213m return route to Newport, with a possible stop in Hot Springs, 82 miles.

03 N Lynch KY 138m route to Lynch, KY with a nice little coffee/restaurant stop, 138 miles.

03A N Lynch KY 166/304m the longer of the 2 return routes to Newport, 166 miles.

03B N Lynch KY 118/256m return route to Newport, 118 miles.

04 N Short Loop 143m north route to Pennington Gap, KY, 143 miles

04A N Short Loop 98/241m return route to Newport, 98 miles.

05 N Long Loop 144m north route to Pennington Gap, KY, 144 miles.

05 A N Long Loop 276/421m route from Pennington Gap north on winding roads to Pineville and Harlan, before returning to Newport, 276 miles.

06 S Dillsboro 111m southeastern route to Dillsboro, 111 miles.

06A S Dillsboro 222/333m route from Dillsboro to Robbinsville, over the Cherohala to Tellico Plains for a coffee stop or some refreshments and the TN Foothills Pkwy back to Newport, 222 miles.

06B S Dillsboro 161/272m from Dillsboro to Robbinsville using Deals Gap and the TN Foothills Pkwy to Newport, 161 miles.

07 S Loop 48m first part of short south loop exploring the TN foothills, 48 miles.

07A S Loop 45/93m return route to Newport, 45 miles.

08 SW Loop 48m a SW loop to explore some of the valley, ending at a covered bridge? 48 miles.

08A SW Loop 28/75.4m return to Newport, 28 miles.

09 SE Pisgah 93.5m southeast route to Pisgah Inn on the BRP, 93.5 miles.

09A SE Pisgah 183/277m return route using high country roads like NC-215, Charley Creek Rd, NC-281, NC-107, BRP, Maggie Valley, Max Patch, NC-209 and Hot Spring to Newport, 183 miles.

09B SE Pisgah 153/246m return route using the BRP to Maggie Valley, with a few twists, to Hot Springs using NC-209 to Newport, 153 miles.

10 W Brushy State Pen-Warden’s Table 109m is a West route to a Frozen Head state Park exploring some of the TN Valley, 109 miles.

10A W Brushy-Newport 218/327m return route going NW before returning using the TN Foothills Pkwy to Newport, 218 miles.

10B W Brushy-Newport 159/268m return to Newport using the TN Foothills Pkwy, 159 miles.

11 NW Loop 109m is a west route to a Frozen Head State Park exploring some of the TN Valley, 109 miles.

11A NW Loop 208/318m return route using a big north loop into KY to Newport, 208 miles.

No matter which downloads option you choose, please note that the routes were created in Garmin BaseCamp using City Navigator North America NT 2024.20. As always, it is advisable to recalculate the routes once you’ve opened them in your software and in your GPS unit. Make sure the mileage remains close to the original distance, before loading to your GPS device, because my BaseCamp Preference settings and maps may be different from yours. You can also display the included Tracks with the matching route on your GPS, to verify the route accuracy.

Please note: After transferring the routes to your Garmin GPS unit and rebooting it, you will have the option to “Import All Routes”. You have the choice of either importing “All Routes” or you can select individual routes. IF you select “Import All Routes”, expect it to take around 35-45 minutes to complete this process and it may be advisable to supply your GPS with external power, to avoid depleting the battery. 

The GPX files can also be imported successfully into Garmin MapSource if you so desire. 

If you are using a phone app to navigate the routes, I would suggest using the above individual downloads links for the routes to download them into a folder on your phone, while you have a solid Wi-Fi connection. You can then transfer them to your Navigation App when you are ready to use them. 

For all routes, we recommend riding with another rider, or let someone know what route you are taken. Some of the sections of the routes are in very rural areas without much traffic. A friendly hand could be good, in case of the unexpected. Also don’t forget, cell phone coverage could be spotty in the hills or valleys.

Always take along some water and snacks.

Please also use the tracks provided. “PM” Bernie for more details or questions or use the GPS-BaseCamp Guide.

Please start routes with a FULL TANK of gas and be sure to monitor your fuel needs, keeping in mind that some gas stations may no longer be in business.

Disclaimer: The attached routes and instructions are to be used at your own risk, and these instructions are simply general guidelines and may not be applicable to the user’s specific use and its incumbent upon users to do their own research to determine how to set up their units and to ensure their route and directions are suitable to their own needs. Keep in mind, things change over time - so as always - use common sense when following directions from an electronic device. 

Please feel free to post any questions you might have. 

Enjoy your ride and have a safe START 2024! 

The Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Here is a map overview, displaying the different colored routes for START 2024 in Newport, TN. 

Created by Garmin BaseCamp.

26731DEF-563F-4F74-9FC2-10C003594070.thumb.jpeg.dbea3aab1ee460b8bea9128b9d1cfcd2.jpeg

Thank you, Bernie.  See you there for coffee.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Oldrider51

Is there any way to attach a route color in the map to the route list? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Oldrider51 said:

Is there any way to attach a route color in the map to the route list? 

I guess I could try to list the color of the route in the description or use a colored fonts? Let me think about. 
I always make a spreadsheet with the names of the routes and mileage to use for myself. I could use some color in it and post a copy of it. Good idea. 

Oldrider51

Thanks, first timer so trying to get my head around the routes.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Here you go. I use it as a cheat sheet in the motel at the event.

It is easier for me to figure out what route I want to ride the next day, instead of opening the computer or turning on the GPS.

Print it out and carry it with you for a quick reference list.

This link will take you to the Download area and there you should be able to download the pdf with the colored route names.

START 2024 Newport colored route list

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 1
BruinsFan

Also, can you highlight the highest percentage of twisty roads with the LEAST amount of cops! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Thanks to all you guys and gals that put so much work into setting these events up. The work that goes on behind the scenes doesn't always get the credit it deserves. The smiling faces inside the helmet are rarely visible to those that are continuously behind the curtain working towards making the next days (years) events a worth while vacation retreat for all of us hitch hickers. 

Now, back to the law enforcement topic... keep smiling girls. 

• Thinking 1
Oldrider51

Thanks, Bernie. All is good! Looking forward to the rides, now which ones to do?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Oldrider51 said:

Thanks, Bernie. All is good! Looking forward to the rides, now which ones to do?

Let the weather and your mood decide.

It is good to have choices in life.

Chris K

Once again, thank you Bernie! I know a lot of work goes into these routes. 

Will you be emailing the best route, for each of us that has signed up, to get to START individually???  :4322:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
RandyShields

Thanks very much Bernie!  I was getting ready to upload these and my Garmin Express advised that there is a new map update -- City Navigator 2025.10.  So, if a user uploads the new map into their GPS or Basecamp, doubly important to open each route and recalculate it so it better syncs with the map edition Bernie used.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Chris K said:

Will you be emailing the best route, for each of us that has signed up, to get to START individually???  :4322:

:4322:When do you want to be leaving for START? Do you need me to include the pit stops for oil changes and tire rotations? :4617:

I do have some routes from N-GA to Newport, but you will have to find your own way to N-GA.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Thanks very much Bernie!  I was getting ready to upload these and my Garmin Express advised that there is a new map update -- City Navigator 2025.10.  So, if a user uploads the new map into their GPS or Basecamp, doubly important to open each route and recalculate it so it better syncs with the map edition Bernie used.

Great catch Randy. The routes have already been recalculated in City Navigator North America 2025.10, I just forgot to change that in the announcement. 

I had no idea anyone actually reads this stuff. Wow. Thanks. :4315:

• Like 2
RandyShields
1 minute ago, Bernie said:

I had no idea anyone actually reads this stuff. Wow. Thanks.

Every word with a fine-tooth comb!

• Like 4
  • Smile 1
RandyShields

Just to clarify, I need the maps and the accurate details so when Kinny blows by a turn, I can say something on our intercoms as I make the turn and wait for him to turn around and get back on route.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
wbw6cos

No, that does not happen.  

Spoiler

all that often.

• Smile 3
Stresspuppy

For anyone using Scenic, the full file is too big to load. File size is 13 mb, Scenic max is 12 mb. So we'll have to load them individually.

(That is in no way a complaint, just an FYI).

• Plus 1 1
Posted (edited)

Download them individually to your iPhone memory and/or your iCloud or other Cloud service.

Then you can import them into your phone Navigation App (Scenic, BMW Connected App, Ride with GPS,  TourStart.org, GAIA GPS or MyRoute App) at the event or whenever you want to view or use them.

I am sorry, but past reports claim that the Rever App doesn’t work with these routes.

Edited by Bernie
Add stuff
BerettaRacer
15 hours ago, Bernie said:

I do have some routes from N-GA to Newport, but you will have to find your own way to N-GA.

This is what I did last fall for FART '23. Tow to Suches, leave the car, and ride from there. Added four days of good riding before the main event, worked out well.

I'm seriously considering doing that again for START, will probably be a last minute weather call.

20230917_114657.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

This is what I did last fall for FART '23. Tow to Suches, leave the car, and ride from there. Added four days of good riding before the main event, worked out well.

I'm seriously considering doing that again for START, will probably be a last minute weather call.

20230917_114657.jpg

Yep you and I rode one day together, or maybe just sat at the same table for dinner and discussed trailering.  I probably trailer (vacation time issue) to 75% of the events.

Just like you, sometimes I trailer to a place 1/2 way to the event, sometimes I trailer to the event.  just depends on the event location.

20 hours ago, Bernie said:

Here you go. I use it as a cheat sheet in the motel at the event.

It is easier for me to figure out what route I want to ride the next day, instead of opening the computer or turning on the GPS.

Print it out and carry it with you for a quick reference list.

This link will take you to the Download area and there you should be able to download the pdf with the colored route names.

START 2024 Newport colored route list

GREAT, I like this idea, So NOW you have required me to buy a color printer, GREAT thanks a lot.  :-)

At least when I told my wife I needed a new color printer but it was Bernie's fault not mine, she said OK.

1 minute ago, randy said:

GREAT, I like this idea, So NOW you have required me to buy a color printer, GREAT thanks a lot.  :-)

At least when I told my wife I needed a new color printer but it was Bernie's fault not mine, she said OK.

No need to buy a color printer. Print it out in black and white and then borrow your neighbor kids crayon and color the routes. :4322:

• Haha 3
20 hours ago, Bernie said:

Great catch Randy. The routes have already been recalculated in City Navigator North America 2025.10, I just forgot to change that in the announcement. 

I had no idea anyone actually reads this stuff. Wow. Thanks. :4315:

Interesting I just opened basecamp to verify and I am still on 2024.1 with no option to update to 2025.10

Guess I need to call Garmin

2 minutes ago, randy said:

Interesting I just opened basecamp to verify and I am still on 2024.1 with no option to update to 2025.10

Guess I need to call Garmin

Plug in your GPS, open Garmin Express, Update Garmin Express, Have Garmin Express update the firmware and software updates for your GPS, Have Garmin Express update the Map Data on Your GPS AND on YOUR  Computer.

• Plus 1 2
22 hours ago, BruinsFan said:

Also, can you highlight the highest percentage of twisty roads with the LEAST amount of cops! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Hey, I'd settle with just the most twisty in descending order:D. But one can always ask there, so no biggie. And yes, it's awesome when folks take the time to do this. I'm so 'map/phone' illiterate that might not be able to benefit from them myself, but all smarter guys than me here will:grin:. And yes, my iPhone 15 ProMax is definitely smarter than me too. Ha ha.

10 minutes ago, JCtx said:

Hey, I'd settle with just the most twisty in descending order:D

Just Google Deals Gap and then ride it back and for thill you get tired. That is the correct road for specialists like you. And you can park your trailer on either end of that road.

• Haha 1

Hey, I've done that already:D (look at my avatar), but not on my bike. I've done that twice, but only last time was able to finally do a run with little traffic. It's always full, and that was on freaking non-holiday weekdays.

3 minutes ago, JCtx said:

Hey, I've done that already:D (look at my avatar), but not on my bike. I've done that twice, but only last time was able to finally do a run with little traffic. It's always full, and that was on freaking non-holiday weekdays.

Your the MAN!

• Smile 1
8 hours ago, Bernie said:

Plug in your GPS, open Garmin Express, Update Garmin Express, Have Garmin Express update the firmware and software updates for your GPS, Have Garmin Express update the Map Data on Your GPS AND on YOUR  Computer.

Yep, figured it out, all done both computer and XT are updated.

now I just need to do my Cardo Bold and Sena 50s annual updates.

Normally do all this in February, but got sick in January, that backed up into Feb, then Feb day job got busy, AND I decided to learn the basics of Video creation, so the Garmin, Cardo, & Sena all got pushed to March.  But hopefully all done by Sunday March 31.  :-)

• Like 1

ok so:

Garimin Express updated to:  7.20.3.3

Basecamp maps to:  2025.1

Sena 50s to:  1.3.1

Cardo Black to 5.11

so my only issue is, Randy 260.0 will not unload so I can load Randy 210.0

Not sure what the problem is, but my wife suspect USER error  :-)

• Plus 1 1

I have seen those problems before. Push Control, Alt & Delete and reboot the system.

Then change your air pressure to Nitrogen and adjust your pressures to sea level.

After that adjust your oil level and you should be all good to go.

And go for a ride.

Oh, don’t forget to update the GoPro or what ever camera you are using.

Well, maybe I should go for a ride? :4607:

Ok, all kidding aside GoPro has firmware updates?  Yikes did not know that, and I have GoPro 7 Black.   will check it out.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
2 hours ago, randy said:

Ok, all kidding aside GoPro has firmware updates?  Yikes did not know that, and I have GoPro 7 Black.   will check it out.

Just updated a GoPro Hero 10, so, don't know if process is similar, but....

Following step 4 I downloaded and extracted the update.zip folder.  That did not create a Update folder - only 3 files appeared.  I manually created a folder titled "update" and moved the 3 uncompressed files into that folder before copying the folder to the GoPro SD card and turning the GoPro on.  It worked.

1. Ensure your GoPro is powered off and has at least 50% battery charge.
  2. Insert your SD card into your computer and find the root level of your SD card.
  3. Download the update files here.
  4. In a new File Explorer window, go to your downloads, unzip the downloaded file, and look for the folder, UPDATE.
  5. Copy the unzipped UPDATE folder.
  6. Go to the window that has your SD card's root level showing and paste the UPDATE folder in an open space.
    • You should end up with DCIM, MISC, and UPDATE folders displayed.
  7. Safely eject the SD card from your computer, insert it into your GoPro, and power the camera on.
  8. Allow the camera to complete the update process (it'll turn off and on a couple of times).
  9. Once the rear LCD shows the language selection screen, you're good to go!
  10. If you're having trouble doing the manual update, try a different SD card.

I did not try this method:

Update with GoPro Quik

1. Download and install GoPro Quik (Apple App Store | Google Play Store) on your compatible mobile device. 
  2. Ensure that your camera is fully charged. 
  3. Pair your camera with GoPro Quik
  4. Once paired, GoPro Quik will prompt you that a camera update is available; follow the on-screen prompts to perform the update. 
  5. If you're having any problems with updating via Quik, perform a manual update using the steps below.
  • Like 1

Thank you, John. Spring time is time for updates.

BMW Connected App for iPhone released a new update last night, 5.2.0. Or 520140

I am not sure what it fixes, except now you can choose from3 different style map types.

Standard, Satellite or Terrain.

I don’t know yet how it affects the interface with the TFT on the RT.

It also has a “Show Traffic” selector switch in the Map Type window.

R65_Steve

A quick question on this.  Should these be used as turn-by-turn routes?   Last year I rode the MABDR, where they would download "tracks" and you basically follow the colored line on the screen.  If you recalculated from the track, it would take the gravel roads and whatnot out and you'd get lost.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, R65_Steve said:

A quick question on this.  Should these be used as turn-by-turn routes?   Last year I rode the MABDR, where they would download "tracks" and you basically follow the colored line on the screen.  If you recalculated from the track, it would take the gravel roads and whatnot out and you'd get lost.  

Good evening @R65_Steve. If you look at my route announcement, you will find out that every Route has a matching Track. So no matter which way you download the Routes/Tracks, you can either download the big file for use in a Garmin GPS unit or you can down load each Route/Track file individually.

The Routes are all designed to be on paved roads, some may be bumpy, but they should be paved.

If you want voice directions while you are navigating the Route, you can do that.

But if you rather just follow a line on the screen, a Track, just simple select the Track in the app of your GPS and select it to be displayed. I save all Tracks in a Light Green color. But if you like, you can select a different color for the Track in menu for the Tracks.

I personally like to follow the Routes with verbal navigation directions, while displaying the Track at the same time. It provides with a a simple way to get confirmation that the Route is actually following the originally designed Route.

The problem has always been that everyone’s GPS and BaseCamp will try to recalculate the routes. BUT no navigation software, by Garmin or any other company or GPS unit can recalculate a Track.

That is also the reasons that the folks that supply routes like the MABDR use Tracks to publish their Routes.

This explains the reasons I include the Tracks, with the Routes, when I create the routes for the event. 

I can explain better in person, see me Wednesday evening.

• Like 2
R65_Steve
10 hours ago, Bernie said:

Good evening @R65_Steve. If you look at my route announcement, you will find out that every Route has a matching Track. So no matter which way you download the Routes/Tracks, you can either download the big file for use in a Garmin GPS unit or you can down load each Route/Track file individually.

The Routes are all designed to be on paved roads, some may be bumpy, but they should be paved.

If you want voice directions while you are navigating the Route, you can do that.

But if you rather just follow a line on the screen, a Track, just simple select the Track in the app of your GPS and select it to be displayed. I save all Tracks in a Light Green color. But if you like, you can select a different color for the Track in menu for the Tracks.

I personally like to follow the Routes with verbal navigation directions, while displaying the Track at the same time. It provides with a a simple way to get confirmation that the Route is actually following the originally designed Route.

The problem has always been that everyone’s GPS and BaseCamp will try to recalculate the routes. BUT no navigation software, by Garmin or any other company or GPS unit can recalculate a Track.

That is also the reasons that the folks that supply routes like the MABDR use Tracks to publish their Routes.

This explains the reasons I include the Tracks, with the Routes, when I create the routes for the event. 

Sounds good.  Thanks.  I'm trying to avoid doing something here, 600 miles away, to these routes and getting there and they are all fouled up.  I have made my own routes before for the National in Springfield and it worked, but never downloaded anyone's tracks other than MABDR.   I always have to remember how to do it, since I don't use basecamp enough.  I'm pretty squared away now.  :)

• Like 1
Stresspuppy
10 hours ago, Bernie said:

Thanks for the explanation @Bernie. I'm importing into Scenic and it seems the routes get recalculated a little but it sounds like if I focus on the tracks, I can update the routes to match the tracks then use the route so I can get turn-by-turn voice directions. I guess I have some playing/validating to do over the next 4 weeks. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, R65_Steve said:

Sounds good.  Thanks.  I'm trying to avoid doing something here, 600 miles away, to these routes and getting there and they are all fouled up.  I have made my own routes before for the National in Springfield and it worked, but never downloaded anyone's tracks other than MABDR.   I always have to remember how to do it, since I don't use basecamp enough.  I'm pretty squared away now.  :)

You do not have to use BaseCamp any longer. There is a way to copy the routes directly to your Garmin/BMW GPS unit, without using Garmin BaseCamp.

1. Download the routes to the desktop or download folder on your Computer.

2. Attach your GPS unit with its factory cable to your Computer.

3. Wait for your computer to recognize your GPS as an external drive (storage device).

4. Copy or drag the downloaded route file to the Garmin/GPX directory on your GPS.

5. Wait for the transfer to complete.

6. Eject or disconnect your GPS from your Computer.

7. Turn on your GPS and wait for it to ask you if you want to import the new Routes.

8. select Yes and select All Routes.

9. Wait, and try to keep the GPS from falling a sleep.

10. Ride/drive to START 2024 and enjoy a Ride.

Here is a link to PDF directions by NewEnglandRiders.org for Windows and Apple Computers:

Download Rides Direct To GPS Unit

Or check this out, it also explains the use of Tracks with Routes on GPS units:

Guide for using Garmin GPS units and BaseCamp

Edited by Bernie
Added more info
  • Like 1

A friendly Reminder to everyone that is using the routes for START 2024 or for any other ‘A.R.T. events!

The routes are for your personal use only.

By downloading these Routes you agree not to post, publish or share them.

Bernie and the BBR guys would appreciate if you do NOT post these routes on other websites or upload them for public use in Navigation Apps.

We make these routes for you and your riding friends private use.

You are welcome to save them and use them any time you like, now or in future. You are welcome to share them with your riding friends or your riding groups.

We just don’t want them to be used by Navigation Apps as their own routes.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Crumpadump

I'm having issues connecting my Nav6 to my newer MacBook Air. I have the Garmin USB cable connected into a Type-C hub that's connected to the Mac and I can't get it to show up on the computer or Basecamp. When I called Garmin support it worked no problem then but now nothing. I've tried restarting the computer (several times) not with no luck. Hoping someone here could help. Thanks.   

Okay So I was able to find an Apple brand Hub hoping that the off brand could be the problem and so far it's working. So I should be on track again to get the Garmin 

Edited by Crumpadump
add more to the initial comment
  • Like 1
wbw6cos

How long was it plugged in before you gave up?   On my p/c it takes a good 4 or 5 minutes.   Use the Garmin Express to confirm connection, software updates, and such as the like.  Then open Basecamp, at least that is how I do it for p/c.  Bernie has more knowledge with appel products than I do.  He will be along shortly to assist.   :grin:

• Like 2

Sometimes it could be a security issue with the newer Mac units and their software.

I saw a post on ZumoForum.uk that you have to give permission in the settings menu for the Garmin unit to access the computer and BaseCamp. Strangely Garmin Express worked for the fellow, but not BaseCamp.

• Like 2
marcopolo

This started with Macs that had the new Apple chips. I have a fairly new MacBook with Apple silicon. I connect my

Nav VI to a third-party “hub”, then plug that into my MacBook. It takes a while to be recognized, sometimes 10 minutes, or more, but it does eventually connect. I have no trouble using Garmin Express, or Basecamp. My best advice:  be very patient. My routine now is to plug it into the hub/Mac, then do something else, and come back in about 15 minutes.  Like watching water boil, if you plug it in, then stare at it, it will (seemingly) take forever.

• Like 2