IGNORED

Guide for using Garmin GPS Units and Basecamp For Event Routes

Indy Dave

This thread contains tips and guides to help with utilizing Basecamp and your GPS unit with event routes. Although the main focus here is using Garmin GPS units, there's some information that may be helpful for other devices as well. This thread is also intended for issues, problems and questions you may have utilizing routes - so feel free to post your issues and questions. Route Mix-Master Berni:whistle:  , The Art Team and others are always near by to help! These directions are also attached in a .pdf format.

1932286523_directionphoto.jpg.6bba19232ffbf02eb656ad6dad297829.jpg

Guidelines for using event routes in Basecamp and Garmin GPS Units

Routes have been made in BaseCamp, using the current City Navigator North America NT 2021.1 and 2021.2 Maps. These routes were created using the following Basecamp settings:

• “Routing Preference” is set to “Motorcycling”
  • Route Calculations is set to “Fastest Time”
  • “no avoidances” have been selected.

Each route has a WayPoint/ViaPoint a short distance from the starting point of the Route – this Waypoint/Viapoint will show up as the second destination when you load up the route. When starting a route, by default the newer Garmin and BMW GPS units will select this second Waypoint in the Route as the next destination – which is why it’s been added. [If you prefer, you can still select the first destination on the list – which is how routes were previously designed.] But going forward, event routes will be designed so that the GPS default staring destination will be correct, as referenced above (this was not always the case previously).

• Keep in mind - things change over time - so as always use common sense when following directions from an electronic device.

Disclosure: The following directions and information have been compiled over the years

after using Garmin Zumo 590 and BMW Navigator 6 GPS units for routes from previous events,

in addition to studying internet posts, instructions and watching lots of YouTube videos on various

websites and forums. I credit the different sites and authors at the end of this article.

Route Files:

You’ll need to download the event files found in the event thread. In addition to the traditional GPX and GDB versions of the event route files, you’ll find new files called Tracks. Tracks do not recalculate when you import them into BaseCamp or directly to your GPS unit. The Tracks have no voice guidance. They are ideal if you do not use or want voice guidance. They can also help you stay on the original intended route.

Also new is the option to download individual routes (with tracks) that might be useful for other non-Garmin navigating devices, like phone apps. These could also be useful if you only have limited time and know which specific routes you want to use. Download one or all the files to either your computer or device.

Preparing Your GPS Unit

Caution: You may want to back up your device, in the unlikely event of unexpected data loss. You may also have to delete old Routes and Waypoints from your GPS to make room on its hard drive for the Routes and Waypoints for this event. Make yourself a note of your current settings, before changing them, to be able to restore them after the event (if you want to revert to your old navigation settings). Many of us use the settings outlined below as our 'default' setting mode - only changing them for a particular need - for instance when creating a route from the GPS unit itself and selecting 'avoid tolls', ect.

Zumo 390/490/590 series and BMW Navigator 5 & 6

Make the following adjustments before loading routes to the GPS unit:

1. Tap “Vehicle Icon” in the upper left of Main Screen (Home) and select “Motorcycle”, then “Save”.

2. Go to “Settings” on your device, select “Calculation Mode”, select “Faster Time”, then select “Save”.

3. Select “Settings”, then “Navigation”, then “Avoidances”, then “Disabled” (all boxes unchecked), then “Save”

4. Then select “Settings”, go to “Map & Vehicle”, select “Map Details”, select “More” and “Save”

5. Then set your device to stop automatically “Recalculating”. You have two choices, either “OFF” or “Prompted”. Select “Settings”, then “Navigation”, then “Off-Route Recalculation”, then select either “Off” or “Prompted”. Then select “Save”.

This last setting will prevent the GPS unit from possibly destroying the routes. If you set it to “Off” you will not get a notice if you are “Off Route”, if you set it to “Prompted” it will give you a choice if you want it to recalculate or not.

Zumo 660 and BMW Navigator 4 try these settings

1. Select “Tools”, then “Settings”, then “System”, then “Usage Mode”, select “Motorcycle” and save.

2. Select “Tools”, then “Settings”, then “Navigation”, select “Avoidances” and make sure to select “Disabled” and save.

3. Select “Tools”, then “Settings”, then “Navigation”, then “Route Preferences”, select “Faster Time” and save.

4. Select “Tools”, then “Settings”, then “Map”, then “Map Detail” and select “High” and save.

5. Select "Tools, then "Settings, then "Navigation" Then "Recalculation Mode, select "prompted". And save.

You can try the following settings for the Zumo 550/450 GPS units:

1. Select “Tools”, then “Navigation, then “Avoidances”, select “Disabled” (all boxes unchecked), especially “Unpaved Roads” and “Ferries”, then save.

2. Select “Tools”, then “Navigation”, then “Route Preferences” and select “Faster Time” and save.

3. Select “Tools”, then “Map”, then “Map Detail” then “Most” and save.

How to get the Routes and Tracks into your GPS

There are 2 methods to load the Routes and Tracks into your GPS unit.

I. Copy and Paste Method:

Connect your GPS with it’s USB cable to your computer.

Copy and Paste the downloaded GPX Route file directly to the Garmin>GPX folder in the internal memory of your device.

Or paste the file to the memory card into the Garmin>GPX folder.

Then eject the GPS and the SD Card.

When you turn on your GPS, it will let you know to import the new Routes.

2. The Traditional method:

• Import the downloaded GPX file into BaseCamp on your computer. Before recalculating them, make duplicates of the routes (do not duplicate the Waypoints) or create Tracks from the routes.
  • Then either recalculate the original routes or change the color of the duplicate routes and recalculate them. Check if the mileage is the same on both routes. If not adjust the route using the editing tools to follow the original route or track.
  • save the file and delete the extra routes.
  • Transfer the routes and tracks to your GPS unit using the BaseCamp menu. You can either transfer to your GPS or your SD/Micro SD Card.
  • After completing the transfer, eject your GPS and SD Card from your computer. Turn on your GPS, it will let you know that new Routes are ready for import. Import them. Tracks will not have to be imported if you transferred them to the GPS, by either method. However, If you transferred the Tracks to the SD or Micro SD Card, you will have to import them by using the Tracks App. This may also have to be done on older GPS units.

The Purpose of using Routes and Tracks together:

The reason behind the combined use of Routes and Tracks is to help make sure you stay on your planned Route. I have been using this method for a few years and it has proven to be a simple way to stay on the route. The newer GPS units can display the saved Tracks and the active Route at the same time. By doing this your Route will be displayed as a striped  Magenta-Green line. See the pictures below. You can select what color the Tracks will be displayed on the map screen in the Tracks App or in the BaseCamp program.

This provides you with a quick visual confirmation that you are following the intended route. If the Green (Track) line goes one way and the Magenta (Route) line the other way, you should follow the Green line to stay on the original route, unless the road is closed or nonexistent.

To display the Track for your Route, open the “Tracks” App, select the Track from the list with the same name as your Route. Click on the “Wrench” icon, select “Show on Map”, you can also select a different color for the track by clicking on “Set Color”, then hit the Return arrow several times to return to the Map Screen.

The Tracks should display in a light green color by default – unless you opted to change the track color.

Track only displayed in Green on BMW Nav Unit:

1132411648_gps1.thumb.jpg.b4fd8f7fd157aa018d408841084c16c6.jpg

Route displayed on top of Track

1637293385_gps2.thumb.jpg.93202ad7e9f7d70cd5ba31b546551295.jpg

Route next to Track, Route is not on target. Follow track until it rejoins route:

525378583_gps3.thumb.jpg.df5e781370059d5ed034c738508b5146.jpg

The reason for small individual GPX Route files:

The idea behind providing the smaller GPX files is to provide some routing assistance to the ever-growing group of phone GPS APP users. This includes the New BMW TFT units, using the BMW Motorrad Ride Connect App. These smaller files may also help those who do not want to download all the routes. These are the same routes that are included in the larger complete event files, they’re just individualized.

This is an experiment, and hopefully someone will try it. If this is helpful please let me know, by either leaving a note in this forum or by PM.

Thank you, Bernie.

References: Many thanks to the following folks for sharing their wisdom.

All the members of  BBMWSportTouring.com

Ed Conde and the New England Riders

Norm Kern and his posts on the MSTA Facebook page

Touratech USA and YouTube GPS Classes

David Peterson and Steve Irby from Best Rest Products

John F Heath and his GPS manual, which he made available to our membership.

Joseph Byrne Joseph Byrne Youtube

AAdventuremitchde channel

ADVrider

B BMW MOA Forum @bmwmoa.org

GARMIN GPS and BASECAMP GUIDE

Edited by Indy Dave
updated PDF link
  • Like 5

Thanks Bernie and all! First time Basecamp user and just got a Zumo XT so I bungled my way through it. Things have changed a lot since my last GPS.

I did have one question, when I transfer everything to the Zumo XT (I used internal storage since I don't have an SD card yet), I powered it up, it detected that there was new info and appeared to import it. However, when I go to "Routes" and  "Waypoints" it says "No Matches found". I do see the "Tracks", however.

When I go to Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips, I see all of the routes and was able to import them. So now they show up as imported trips.

Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work now, i was just expecting to see them when i went to Where To->Explore->Routes. 

I'm searching all the past threads to see if I can find an answer.

John Ranalletta
21 minutes ago, StretchMark said:

Thanks Bernie and all! First time Basecamp user and just got a Zumo XT so I bungled my way through it. Things have changed a lot since my last GPS.

I did have one question, when I transfer everything to the Zumo XT (I used internal storage since I don't have an SD card yet), I powered it up, it detected that there was new info and appeared to import it. However, when I go to "Routes" and  "Waypoints" it says "No Matches found". I do see the "Tracks", however.

When I go to Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips, I see all of the routes and was able to import them. So now they show up as imported trips.

Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work now, i was just expecting to see them when i went to Where To->Explore->Routes. 

Mark, that's how it works on my Nav V, too.

3 hours ago, StretchMark said:

Good afternoon Mark.

I have not actually handled one of the new Zumo XT units, but i think they are most likely similar to the older Zumo 590/595 or Nav 5/6 units.

Joseph Byrne( Joseph Byrne Youtube) has a series of videos using the new Zumo XT. You may want to check the out. 

As for the import process, it should be similar to the older units. Transfer the GPX file using either method to your GPS.

When you power up the GPS unit, the Waypoints and Tracks import automatically, if you transferred the data to the internal memory.

After the boot up is complete, you will get a screen claiming new routes where found, and  "Do you want to import them?", Click on "Yes". Then you can choose if you like to import all the routes or just import a few. 

Then you have to wait for the import process to complete.

Note: If you only import some of the routes, you can always select Import in the Trip Planner, to import the other routes.

After the import process is complete, you can select the Apps, then select "Trip Planner" or "Trips".

Then you should see a list of "Unscheduled Trips".

I hope this helps.

See you at FART 2020!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, StretchMark said:

Thanks John, that's encouraging. I might have done it right after all :)

A big shout-out to Bernie :5170:, who was very through in researching importing routes and menus for all manor of Garmin units. The XP slipped in at the last minute - but apart from some different menus, it sounds like you're good to go.

• Like 4

I have successfully inported the routes to my Nav VI from basecamp, which is quite the accomplishment. :yes:    Not sure whether I will need them as I hope to hook up with a group to ride along with and let the experts follow their GPS.  :revit:

My plan is to ride up Wednesday morning from the great town of Lilburn and head toward Franklin, NC to pick up NC 28  (I have driven that road, coming south, in my suare little boxy car) towards The Great Smoky Mountains Expressway, which shows a green route in Basecamp for the ones that were posted.  I will, pretty much, just have the Nav VI showing map on the way up because I know how to get to Franklin.  The big newbie question is how do I tell my Nav VI to start following that route once I reach it?  Also, not sure which way on that route I should navigate to end up in Newport.  So if any recommendations, please post.  Most likely, I use the other half of that route, not ridden, on the  return trip home using the Franklin route to my homestead.   I realize the routes originate in Newport, but was wondering how to go about joining it somewhere along the way.   Pretty cool idea, am I right?  Sure beats taking the superslab-way of getting to the hotel, then starting the rides.  :dontknow:

The simplest way: From Franklin, I'd select S2 Dillsboro 149/261, press Go! in the Trip Planner, then select NC - Gas Bryson W as the next destination.  That should take you up 28 to meet the route, and lead you clockwise around the western and northern half of the loop, ending in Newport.     Going home, or going counterclockwise might be a little more difficult, as you would be joining or inverting a couple segments.  That might be better done with help in Newport.  

It would be good practice to build your own route from home to Franklin, even if you don't need to follow it.  You will know if the route is wrong, you will not get lost, and you will learn from the experience.  Creating even trivial routes to the local grocery can teach you something about using your GPS.  The videos and PDF guide here might help you understand how to use just part of a route, as well as many other useful ideas. It's aimed at the Zumo 590, but your Navigator works in the same way.

• Like 3

@wbw6cos, follow Larry's advice. If you start "S2 Dillsboro 149/261" as you leave Franklin, NC on 28 and tell the GPS to start the route at "NC-Gas Bryson W" you should be able  to follow the balance of the route to Newport, TN.

The procedure to start the route on an BMW Nav6 is as follows:

Select "Apps", then select "Trip Planner", then scroll down using the arrow key to "S2 Dillsboro 149/261".

Then select "GO", on the next screen select "NC-Gas Bryson W" by moving the  "Blue Dot" and then select "Start"

It will then calculate a route from your current location to the Gas Station on US74/NC28.

When you arrive at the Spot, it will start the remainder of the route.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

With a suggestion or two from a roadscholar and my own deviance for twisty goat paths, I feel invigorated searching out three days of riding down in Maggie Valley!  :yes: That's all, just had to expel that burst of excitement! :rofl:

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

With a suggestion or two from a roadscholar and my own deviance for twisty goat paths, I feel invigorated searching out three days of riding down in Maggie Valley!  :yes: That's all, just had to expel that burst of excitement! :rofl:

Don’t worry, I have already a bunch of routes for street riding ready to post for the START 2021 and a GS rider is making some GS routes. It helps to be comfortable with using your GPS unit. 

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
7 minutes ago, Bernie said:

...   It helps to be comfortable with using your GPS unit. 

I have a Global Positioning Sphere.

Image result for compass sphere

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Dennis Andress unfeatured this topic