IGNORED

3D Printed Fairing Panel Tab Repair

2015 Blue RT

2015 Blue RT

Since this appears to have worked, I thought I'd share a repair I did while changing headlight bulbs. I managed to crack off the front screw tab on the upper painted fairing on the right side of the bike. While I've used JB Weld to repair stuff like this before, the broken off piece was just too flimsy to epoxy. I've been 3D printing for a couple of years now, so the light bulb went off for this. I used a digital caliper & measured the old piece. Since there is nothing directly behind it, I made it thicker, in this case 8mm vs like 1mm. The original piece has an angle on one end, I estimated 45 degrees and this was close enough. 

I found that original JBW was not the best for plastic repair, so I tried some of their "Plastic Bonder". It comes in a dual syringe and mixes like any 2-part epoxy. I'm also using this on my wind deflector from my first bird strike after the original JBW didn't hold up. 

I scuffed up the part and the panel with a rough file for better adhesion. I let the 3D piece cure for about 18 hours and it seems solid. I then verified the hole was 4.2mm and tapped it for the 5mm-.8 OEM screw. I was pleasantly surprised when everything lined up. 

Finished product is in the attached pic with my text notes. I got a new phone, so it may have come out supersize. I'll also attach the STL file I created in case anyone else needs to try this along with the 3D rendering picture. I used Overture Supler PLA Pro at 220/50 and .12 layer height, 60mm/s. It was about a 45 minute print.

EDIT- The thread pitch is 5mm-.8, not .08. The new file has the hole at 4.2mm.

Fairing tab 3D repair 03-24txt.jpg

Fairing tab repair TC.jpg

RT Fairing Panel Tab.stl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Stresspuppy

Nice!

Gotta love the practical prints. For me, it's nice to be able to "justify" having the printer to a spouse after all other "stuff" I print for fun. "Look honey, without this I would have had to spend lots of money to replace this." :)

• Like 1
2015 Blue RT
1 hour ago, Stresspuppy said:

Nice!

Gotta love the practical prints. For me, it's nice to be able to "justify" having the printer to a spouse after all other "stuff" I print for fun. "Look honey, without this I would have had to spend lots of money to replace this." :)

Thanks! Not to mention making custom parts like this and my tablet holder. I recently printed some tub vent supports for a generator shed I'm building. While I could have probably found some half-round material and drilled it, the ability to layout exactly what I need is really great, plus it costs a lot less given 1 kg of filament is like $20-25.