IGNORED

Oukitel RT3 8" Rugged Tablet Install on R1200RT Wethead

2015 Blue RT

After I got the R1200RT I wanted a larger (and lower cost) screen for navigation. I started out with a Nexus 7 2013 version (post is here), but soon learned that tablet had a problem with its GPS system. It would sometimes take miles before it recognized satellites. Along the way, I learned there are 4 common sat services in use- GPS (US), GLONASS (Russian), Galileo (Europe), and BeiDu (China). My Nexus 7 was limited to GPS and GLONASS.

I did a lot of research and along the way began to 3D print things, so it was natural to print a tablet holder to fit my existing adapter. The one thing the Nexus has over any other tablet is the ability to wirelessly charge. I ended up trying several tablets, to include 10" Lenovo and Samsung S6 Lite models. These were as large as I could go w/o blocking gauges or lights. The Lenovo (new) got 0 GPS signal indoors or out, so I returned it. The Samsung (used) was supposed to get all 4 systems, but the one I got only got GPS & GLONASS.

I found the 8" Okitel RT3 on Ali Express and watched as many videos/ read as many reviews as I could find, not many since it was new in 2022. I got it for around $160 shipped and it came within a reasonable time- I think it was like 3 weeks or so. I printed an adapter to my interface and here it is installed:

413748567_RT3inholder.thumb.jpg.b8b439b653dacbf42850816dc613cb2e.jpg

It may be hard to see, but I embossed "R1200RT" in the lower left corner. I plan on painting the characters blue to match the bike.

This tablet works great so far! GPS picks up right away, even indoors. It's a little slow to boot, but nothing I can't live with. The fact it is waterproof (rugged) makes it an even better fit, although the next section kind of negates that.

The only thing missing was wireless charging, so I found a "QI" tablet charger with USB-C "long" cable. It fits on the rear of the tablet, but I found I got a better charge rate (up to 5W, which is more than the device uses while riding with the screen on) by attaching it to the adapter, and then plugging in the cable. I made a large hole on the left side of the holder so I can access the USB port, as plan B was to run a USB-C cable to the port for charging if the QI didn't work.

• Like 6
  • Plus 1 1

Forgot to add, this also has a sim card slot, so it could be used as a phone (I think it would work on US AT&T LTE frequencies). Really too large to carry around, but more features are always a plus.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this.  I've been interested in using a tablet instead of the disposable navi units for some time.  I've used the cheaper car based systems before, but of course they are not engineered for bikes and fail after a season or so.

You're welcome.I think the rugged aspect of this combined with the screen size makes it about ideal. I watched a YT video where a rider had adapted the Samsung Active 3, which is a lot more expensive.

As an update, riding to church this morning I went through light rain for several miles- no effect on the tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really nice! I'm looking to do this and remove the Nav6 off my 19 GS. I'm curious how the glare factor is? If possible, could you please take a few pics how you mounted it? Where the charging cable comes out of it? 

Thanks for Posting!

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Renner said:

Looks really nice! I'm looking to do this and remove the Nav6 off my 19 GS. I'm curious how the glare factor is? If possible, could you please take a few pics how you mounted it? Where the charging cable comes out of it? 

Thanks for Posting!

Steve

Glare has not been a problem for me, but half of my daily ride is pre-dawn. In the afternoon, I'm mostly westbound, so I don't have any experience with direct sunlight from behind. The RT3 had a fairly high nit (brightness) rating as I recall.

The mount is one from eBay that has a built-in wireless charger as well as 2x USB ports on the side. Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275308912748

I did not see any for sale in the US, so it comes from China.

That mount is for phones, so for the Nexus 7 I used a project box that had a sloped side. I matched the holes in the piece I removed from the ebay item so the project box could mount to the adapter. I had to tweak the spring loaded phone holder (holder not needed for the RT3).

Since the RT3 was slightly larger, I knew the project box would be too small, so by then I was designing and modifying 3D (STL) files. I laid out the RT3 as one, and then built a box around it. I added in 4 holes that oddly enough lined up the first time (that NEVER happens for me). Each of these holes were chamfered so the OEM Philips head screws were flush. I have zipped & attached the final version of the STL file if you want to try to print it.

The RT3 uses a Nillkin Wireless Charger Receiver for ipad, type C "long":

https://nillkin.org/accessories/nillkin-magic-tags-plus-wireless-charging-receiver-apple-ipad

If you don't want to go the wireless route, you can just plug in a USB-C cable from one of the side ports on the adapter. I think you'd need 12-15" since the ports are on the opposite side of each other.

It is really picky about where it is for best charging. While it is designed to go on the back of the tablet, I found for max charging capability it was better to use some painters tape to hold it in place on the mount, and then plug in the cable once the tablet was in place. I have tested this by riding with the nav screen on & I listen to music. I leave pre-dawn, so it is dim, but on the ride home it is usually in full sunlight. When I start up in the AM, it is usually 99-100% charged. I also use an app called Accubattery that shows the charge rate. I used that to dial in the location. The wireless charger has no problem keeping up with the power demands.

The mount holds the tablet firmly, it does not slip out. I designed a hole in the side where the USB port is located, so you can access the cable there. There's also a hole for the camera/flash. I'll attach a composite picture of the 3D file from a couple of angles, with some added text for clarity.

One last thing, I used 3D Fuel Pro PLA filament to print this. It was suggested I use another type (ASA), but this stuff has worked well for me in higher stress items, so I think it will hold up OK here.

RT3.jpg

RT3 Holder3_TC_embossed5.zip

• Like 2

That is very helpful! Now the question is.....if you were able to 3D print me a wonderful case, what would you charge😁. People like yourself, with creative ideas, is exactly why these forums are priceless!!

I'm still learning 3D printing. I can design one w/o the R1200RT logo or with another logo. My suggestion for the final project would be to use an online printing service like Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com

You create a free account, then upload the file. They will offer you a choice of materials and show you the cost.

I have used them for various projects before I started design & print, and I'm currently using them for a metal print project. They take a while, but their prices are usually reasonable. Let me know and I can modify the original file as needed.

I will definitely take you up on the design file. I have a R1250GS. Did you design a hood on the upper edge to help with glare? Looks like you did. If so, do you think it's enough or would you add a large hood if you done it again?

Thank you,

Steve

Yes, there is a hood- somewhat difficult to see. I don't think making it larger would help much. The RT3 is bright enough (so far in winter) to where that hasn't been a factor.

I uploaded the model to Shapeways & got sticker shock! The minimum cost was $125 plus shipping. I figure my time & materials cost and US shipping should be around $50. I'll attach a prototype picture. Let me know if you want to follow up on this. I think the adapter for the GS may be different than the one I linked, so I'm not sure my screw mount pattern would work.

RT3_R1250GS.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am just new to this forum, and I am pleased I have found the topic I am interrested in.

Myself I ride the R1250RT - 2021, but my wife rides a R1200R - 2015.

I bought the Outikel RT3 for her and it should arrive today ;-)

So I was searching a mount for this tablet for her bike and so I found it.

I also have a 3D printer, so the STL file is very helpfull. 

I only have to remove the last T from the text to be complient with her bike ;-)

Thanks for sharing the STL file!

Regards 

Koen from Belgium

Hello Mr 2015 Blue RT

Thats the Solution im searching for!

ITS great that you Share the STL File With US

If ITS ok for you i would Like to Change the File a little.

I would add an top Body wich would be closed With a Key so that the Tablet Could stay on the Bike while i was pay the Gas in the Shop

When i have the New File complete i will send IT to you and you Could Put IT in the Forum

Greatings from Austria

Peter

2015 Blue RT

You can do with it as you please. I paid nothing for it, so it's a great value. :)

You can post files the same as me, just add it as an attachment.

Thanks a Lot

I will Post as soon im Ready and Tester IT in the Road

PS: wich Filament so you usw petg Ada or Carbon Fiber?

2015 Blue RT

Greater minds than mine said to use ASA, but I didn't have any. I used 3D Fuel Pro PLA. So far it has held up well, but it has yet to see the sweltering Florida heat. I would use ASA if it is available.

• 1 month later...

Hello, how good it is for me to find this post.

I introduce myself, I'm from Chile, and I speak Spanish, and I'm using Google translate to write in English, if I have mistakes, please forgive me.

I have the oukitel rt3 tablet, and I have used it as a GPS on a route that I did with a rented motorcycle in Europe, because in my opinion the size is perfect, the brightness, although it is not perfect, is enough. and the GPS accurate enough (+-2mt).

The rented motorcycle was a GS 750, with a tube handlebar. then it is easy to install a ram type clamp.

I have glued with very strong glue, called pegatanke in chile, a ball like the one in the image.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004985224781.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.66.21ef194dbr9Gp4&gatewayAdapt=glo2espAdaptador-de-montaje-de-cabeza-esf-rica-de-1-pulgada-para-manillar-de-bicicleta-y-motocicleta.jpg_640x640.jpg.386c7db310b072827461327b81870827.jpg

And to hold this ram type device.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32918885342.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.81.21ef194dbr9Gp4&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

Jadkinsta-brazo-de-doble-toma-de-aluminio-o-pl-stico-utilizado-con-Bases-de-bola-de.jpg_640x640.jpg.af954ecd1b22a2468acc23b444b96d4c.jpg

And it stayed like that.

IMG-20230528-WA0009.thumb.jpg.ec43026cad0e212766f769c8941735d3.jpg

IMG-20230528-WA0010.thumb.jpg.1bb948bd8ff17c199b3412fdf9ec5b5a.jpg

My bike is a k1600 gtl, now I'm thinking of a way to do the same, but on my bike.

• Like 1
2015 Blue RT

Good to see another mounting variety. I'm on my second tablet now, and really enjoy how well it performs vs the Nexus 7 I had before.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Now I bring you the invention adapting a cell phone holder from the K1600, and placing a ram style ball.

El soporte celular:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005005647868550.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.21.587b6cc76AqjzJ&algo_pvid=41406d6f-0c76-456f-809e-d0690ee0a3db&algo_exp_id=41406d6f-0c76-456f-809e-d0690ee0a3db-10&pdp_npi=3%40dis!USD!82.45!45.35!!!589.79!!%4021227f7e16902468862808348d076d!12000033876330539!sea!CL!136464581&curPageLogUid=prloJceg3AFa

image.png.c9726c1b1e256fc4a93a881f5c6d8f99.png

I made two plates with a laser cutter, one that is screwed to the base of the support, and another that is pressed from the outside, and thus is more firm.

SoloBola.thumb.jpeg.a91907cff21c4f9c086e75aac48aea79.jpeg

Tablet.thumb.jpeg.6de91d3b912c4fb9fb1d30d4307bbfa7.jpeg

This is the first version, so if someone is interested I can show you how I did it.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 2/9/2023 at 3:12 AM, 2015 Blue RT said:

Glare has not been a problem for me, but half of my daily ride is pre-dawn. In the afternoon, I'm mostly westbound, so I don't have any experience with direct sunlight from behind. The RT3 had a fairly high nit (brightness) rating as I recall.

The mount is one from eBay that has a built-in wireless charger as well as 2x USB ports on the side. Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275308912748

I did not see any for sale in the US, so it comes from China.

That mount is for phones, so for the Nexus 7 I used a project box that had a sloped side. I matched the holes in the piece I removed from the ebay item so the project box could mount to the adapter. I had to tweak the spring loaded phone holder (holder not needed for the RT3).

Since the RT3 was slightly larger, I knew the project box would be too small, so by then I was designing and modifying 3D (STL) files. I laid out the RT3 as one, and then built a box around it. I added in 4 holes that oddly enough lined up the first time (that NEVER happens for me). Each of these holes were chamfered so the OEM Philips head screws were flush. I have zipped & attached the final version of the STL file if you want to try to print it.

The RT3 uses a Nillkin Wireless Charger Receiver for ipad, type C "long":

https://nillkin.org/accessories/nillkin-magic-tags-plus-wireless-charging-receiver-apple-ipad

If you don't want to go the wireless route, you can just plug in a USB-C cable from one of the side ports on the adapter. I think you'd need 12-15" since the ports are on the opposite side of each other.

It is really picky about where it is for best charging. While it is designed to go on the back of the tablet, I found for max charging capability it was better to use some painters tape to hold it in place on the mount, and then plug in the cable once the tablet was in place. I have tested this by riding with the nav screen on & I listen to music. I leave pre-dawn, so it is dim, but on the ride home it is usually in full sunlight. When I start up in the AM, it is usually 99-100% charged. I also use an app called Accubattery that shows the charge rate. I used that to dial in the location. The wireless charger has no problem keeping up with the power demands.

The mount holds the tablet firmly, it does not slip out. I designed a hole in the side where the USB port is located, so you can access the cable there. There's also a hole for the camera/flash. I'll attach a composite picture of the 3D file from a couple of angles, with some added text for clarity.

One last thing, I used 3D Fuel Pro PLA filament to print this. It was suggested I use another type (ASA), but this stuff has worked well for me in higher stress items, so I think it will hold up OK here.

RT3.jpg

RT3 Holder3_TC_embossed5.zip 23.63 kB · 31 downloads

Hi , you did a great job. I'm trying to create a custom version for my bike and  I'm wondering if u could share the .GCode file as well, in order to be able to sligthly change the share. It would be amanzing.

Thanks a lot for your help

Isn't gcode specific to a printer? At any rate, my PC I used to do this crashed (Windows 10) so I can't access any files.

• 4 months later...
2015 Blue RT
On 5/7/2023 at 1:05 PM, 2015 Blue RT said:

Greater minds than mine said to use ASA, but I didn't have any. I used 3D Fuel Pro PLA. So far it has held up well, but it has yet to see the sweltering Florida heat. I would use ASA if it is available.

As an update a little over a year later, the holder and the replacement due to a bird strike made it through the summer heat just fine. I use it daily except if rain is forecast, so it sees use 4-5 days per week. It has had limited sunlight exposure, as I keep the bike covered at work.