IGNORED

Tough Rides

Rinkydink

Rinkydink

I enjoy motorcycle travel documentaries. I found one called Tough Rides  
streaming on Amazon Prime. If you like Long Way Round, Down, Up etc I think you will enjoy this. Two brothers circumvent China, India, and Brazil. Not as in-depth as the McGregor/Boorman escapades but nonetheless entertaining. Get you some. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

We have a mini version of tough rides, you don't even have to leave the state : ) I've done the routing for CADS events since the inception about 15 years ago. Much of this one is relatively easy on a big bike across the peninsula consisting of mostly hard packed dirt roads and some paved sections because you have to cover about 230 miles in 8 hours or so including lunch, fuel stops, get-offs, or any mechanical maladies (you'd be surprised). Obviously there's no way to control the weather which can adversely effect conditions but I do like to throw in some challenging sections here and there, not only as a teaching method for gaining experience, it fosters camaraderie,  teamwork, and perseverance.  I like to think it also teaches humility and builds character : ) Once you learn to ride a big bike in sand you can ride almost anywhere.

I love this guy Nelson (Un Colombiano en Moto) on his newer Africa Twin, he embodies the spirit of why we do it, it's a longish video (with subtitles) but pretty entertaining. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Another one from Moto Colombian, no translation this time. On Saturday they all ride from Keystone Heights down into Ocala Nat. Forest and back, the first couple of years we used to call it the Palatka-Dakar : )

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
roadscholar

Another interesting (altho long) video from Nelson, UnColombianoenMoto, the most recent Trans Fla from weekend before last. This time it went from Mcclenny, Fla to Thomasville, Ga taking in some of the panhandle in which the terrain starts to change from the peninsula getting into some red clay that's more pervasive in Alabama and Georgia (and tricky to ride when wet). I'm into semi-retirement as far as doing the routes go but Ashley (Wahorn) and I are currently working together on a completely new one from Lake City to Quincy and back for this Fall so we'll see how that goes. If you enjoy riding off-road this event is a lot of fun, we had some guys come down from Atlanta this year (Stan Anderson and friends) and they loved it, the video does a good job capturing the essence of the ride, not so much tough but the sometimes wet conditions can add a bit of excitement/drama as you'll see. What you can't see in the video is there's a Starbucks in the parking lot where the rider's meeting would've been had it not rained, just pointing out our goofy sense of humor : ) If nothing else it's a good primer for you guys doing video, Nelson does some nice editing and POV camera work, muy bueno