IGNORED

TAT Part 5...or "how to pass a Kidney stone.

big-t

Last year I rode most of the eastern half of the TAT (Transamerica trail)

Here are the links to those ride reports.

TAT 1

TAT 2

TAT 3

TAT 4

...continuing on from last years report.

A new bike, some good friends to accompany me and another great adventure starts.

Ready to roll,1500 miles to the point where I quit the trail last year.

657845689_8N7sN-L.jpg

Mark claims he is working as Kenny takes over driving duty.. :rofl:

657845772_DkTW5-L.jpg

We arrived in Salida Co about 4 pm in a bit of rain and cool temps.After 2 days in the truck everybody was up for a afternoon ride to checkout Aspen Alley.

We are pumped.

657846574_hkaNZ-L.jpg

Maybe we can get a few pics from Mark and Kenny

Don't go away ,it gets better.. :lurk:

Well THAT was quick. Shortest ride tale evah. :P

:lurk:

Perhaps Mark didn't quite grasp what he was reading when they all got together to write this.

The Ultimate Sales Machine - Chet Holmes

Between work schedules, mechanical issues and other pressures we were down to the last minute determining whether this trip would even occur. As little as 3 days before and I thought it might end up a solo trip for me. But in the end it all came together and we were all happy to be traveling together again.

I often hear people complain about crossing the plains and how boring it is. Perhaps it has to do with the contrast to where I live, but I have enjoyed every crossing I’ve made. It takes a while to cross but I always find something interesting about it. Getting off the interstate helps.

The large sunflower fields are pretty.

655700113_t5Q9f-L.jpg

Once the front range appears we start getting anxious to ride.

655700828_CyiQv-L.jpg

Soon we are climbing around the hills near Salida in a little shake down ride.

655703041_J8dLj-L.jpg

Man I love Colorado. I’ve been anticipating getting the 950 se out here for months. We are all very excited to be back. Despite a light rain, our little 60 mile ride delivers just what we needed.

655705867_qSVUf-L.jpg

655703827_AKGwY-L.jpg

More to come...

Dang, this is looking good already, wish I could have met up with ya'll for some of that. I know, 'woulda, coulda, shoulda...'

Todd I somehow missed that first part, that was great.

Dang, this is looking good already, wish I could have met up with ya'll for some of that. I know, 'woulda, coulda, shoulda...'

We were expecting you to pop in,at some point in time.

Mark is riding my trusty adult ridden pristine garaged well farkeled and impeccably prepared klr on this trip, and it was easy to see his excitement at the prospect of all that power on tap ;-)

655705166_SbWfG-L.jpg

Big-T would be on his new xchallenge pictured before. I struggled for about 3 minutes over whether to bring my 450exc or my 950. Several people told me the 450 would be best out there, and it would have been a great choice for some of the off road bits, but we weren’t planning any single track on this ride and had some good distances to cover on several days, so the 950 won out. I was very happy with how it did. I remember when they first came out being surprised that something like this would even make it to production. Who would want that? Now I think it is the best do all bike ever made.

655732002_oBDbq-L.jpg

Well, I don't have many pics to add for day one. I was too busy thinking about the power of the KLR and becoming the Ultimate Sales Machine.

It's been a crappy couple of years riding-wise for me. Between job stress, no job stress, and new job stress, riding just took a back seat. I gave myself a 1% chance of making this trip, but with a few days to go, and the offer of the KLR dangling over my head, I went for it. I spent 30 minutes packing on Thusday and was gone.

I do not like riding across Kansas.....at all....but 8 hours of the Willy Nelson channel on Sirius made it fly by :eek:

The Alpine Ridge trail out of Salida was a great start and just gave us a glimpse of all the good stuff to come.

One of my few shots from day 1:

647501932_5pJRp-M.jpg

Day 2:

The mountains looked angry when we awoke the next morning and snow covered many of the peaks.

653728025_k58q7-M.jpg

So we loaded up and headed here:

653728733_6S63L-M.jpg

And started on the first of many climbs that trip:

653732532_NEonW-M.jpg

Back to you big-t :thumbsup:

I remember when they first came out being surprised that something like this would even make it to production. Who would want that? Now I think it is the best do all bike ever made.

655732002_oBDbq-L.jpg

That bike needs a sticker on the rear fender that says, 'Warning-stay back 100' when in motion, spewing debris may be hazardous to your health' : )

That bike needs a sticker on the rear fender that says, 'Warning-stay back 100' when in motion, spewing debris may be hazardous to your health' : )

I actually think that I'm dumping gravel out of my crotch in the background there :grin:

The next day was great,we were ready to go and Colorado did not disappoint us.

View from the parking lot of the snow dusted mountains

657846938_kQkKp-L.jpg

We soon entered the San Isabel forest and started the climb.

657847072_QWpA3-L.jpg

657847759_kfav8-L.jpg

657847238_vrFKx-L.jpg

Hancock Pass is first, right out of the gate...and fairly difficult in some sections.

The new bike,short legs and lack of oxygen (about 11k at this point)is kicking my butt,so I pulled over in the middle of the rough section and took a short break,only to drop the bike from a standstill as I started to continue(short leg problem) I really didn't need that mirror anyway... :dopeslap: Broke it off picking the bike off...Dum...As....

Looking up the trail from where I took a break.

657848221_S8kBE-L.jpg

At the top.

657849259_fXb6z-L.jpg

The road to Tomechi Pass

657848875_P6Amk-L.jpg

Tomechi Pass

Mark

657849546_rJ3Qz-L.jpg

657857853_TKvUK-L.jpg

The road to Tomechi (click on pic)

660077198_ZUHCE-M.jpg

Looking back toward Hancock Pass

657857965_SoBQ6-L.jpg

Pitkin General store,80 residents live here fulltime

657858605_N4Awf-L.jpg

657859112_XMWp2-L.jpg

657858806_Jpvsi-L.jpg

Moving along

657861691_oUdPy-L.jpg

657860753_dq625-L.jpg

657860542_A8BwM-L.jpg

657861207_ZFqy7-L.jpg

657861979_3vzi8-L.jpg

The day ended in Lake City.

There is nothing quite like the feeling you have pulling out that first day on a ride like this. All the planning, packing, bike prep is done and you are finally executing the plan. No more list checking or farkling to do, just get in the saddle and twist the throttle. Try not to be stupid and let the days unfold. That feeling is what makes us all keep doing it right?

The rain the night before fell as snow on some of the passes, but we could see it burning off pretty quickly the next morning. We were greeted with a fantastic sky and great riding temps as we rolled toward Hancock pass. The morning could not be better.

655709404_yExiM-L.jpg

655712279_YiwDu-L.jpg

655716083_QMzzK-L.jpg

655716504_mDX3k-L.jpg

Climbing Hancock was the first of many highlights for me. It has some challenging bits and very rewarding views.

On the way up.

655720613_cBUdH-L.jpg

655719232_RjoeG-L.jpg

I think Mr. Davis is happy to be here. We were all stoked.

655721609_meeLB-L.jpg

The guys decending the switchbacks on the back side of Hancock.

655723621_Gdx88-L.jpg

655724153_5eJ5j-L.jpg

Hancock pass from Tomichi.

655725210_ib85E-L.jpg

Todd considers refilling his camelback team overkill style.

655728545_Bs5EU-L.jpg

We had a relaxing stop here for some delicious energy bars. As we sat there a fellow drove by in a tiny smart car. Some of the tough terrain had turned him around. I wonder if it was a rental.

655729260_MZkEB-L.jpg

The se is tall, I’m not. So I share the short leg thing Todd mentioned earlier. Every stop is an exercise in planning so I can get the side stand down and be able to re mount the bike without falling.

Todd arrives at Waunita pass.

655733236_5nWqz-L.jpg

A few on the way to Lake City. Rain was on our tail and gaining ground.

655734966_48vpb-L.jpg

655738819_Tfxa5-L.jpg

655741383_EyrkU-L.jpg

655741652_9V3R9-L.jpg

Lake City the next morning.

655742428_62xxJ-L.jpg

655742757_yLCN4-L.jpg

More to come…

Salida (Suh-lie-duh).....Tomichi (Toe-mee-chee). :grin:

Don't think I can top your guys pictures this day.

After waiting for big-t for a bit near the top of Hancock, I decided to head back down to see if he was ok. I was greeted with this view and knew all was pretty much ok:

653733150_4qo9x-M.jpg

I was trying to give Kenny a long-distance "thumbs up", which I guess looked like a "come back, we need help" from that far away. But we eventually all got back together at the top of the pass and big-t got down on his knees to :

653734385_jgQXp-M-1.jpg

big-t can never resist a good cow picture. The bull (just out of the picture) was not happy at all with us:

653739839_LABxB-M.jpg

A little test to see how long it would take Kenny to get the SE turned around for a picture. Answer: About a mile. :grin:

653737910_KDEyK-M.jpg

The rain was moving in fast:

653741095_cPTQm-M.jpg

We didn't dodge all of it:

653745817_PiGbo-M-1.jpg

Day 3:

A great day and many passes await outside of Lake City, but wait...drama...

653747653_F4Ami-M.jpg

The next day was a wash,We have done a number of trips together without any mechanical issues,so we were due...When I fired up the bike it had a rough idle,but by the time I got to the local grocery store it seemed alright,so I filled up with the best they had...87 octane ...,should work until I can get to somewhere that has the prescribed 91 stuff.

Kenny and Mark filled there also.

Loaded my gear and took off,all of 30 feet before it stalled,Hmmm,tried it 30 more feet before it quit,and then again.After a few more trys it wouldn't hit a lick.First thought was the fuel,but the others had filled there also and their bikes were running.

First time disassembling the bike revealed I needed a lot more tools than was provided in the tool kit.

Normally,I like to go thru the bike before leaving on a trip and make sure the tools needed are onboard,but in this case the bike was almost brand new and I really didn't have the time,besides that,everyone knows BMWs don't break down.. :rofl:

Spent several hours trouble shooting the basics,injector was pulsing,plugs were providing spark,bypassed the side stand switch and disconnected the o2 sensor,but the plugs kept flooding.Even bought a new set and it still wouldn't start,We were burning valuable riding time so the decision was made for Mark and Kenny to ride the 100 miles for the truck while I reassembled the bike and waited on a rental cabin porch in the rain.

When they returned I loaded and headed for Grand Junction BMW,to be on their doorstop when they opened in the morning,since the bike is still under warranty.The others would continue on the route the next day and I would catch up later.

Most of the next day was spent at the Grand Junction Harley/BMW shop watching the Harleys ride in and the BMWs being trailered in.Seems like there was an epidemic of dead BMWs that day...

I explained to the mechanic at the dealer what I had checked and he got to work,no codes showing and a check of the fuel pressure revealed it was a bit low.Apparently he has replaced the pumps on several of these bikes,but before ordering a new one he wanted to remove the filter and recheck the pressure.

Like most FI units the filter is in the tank. It was not long before he returned with the filter in hand and said the gas had a funky smell to it,maybe like a slight odor of diesel.He said” I'm going to try a long shot and dump all the fuel ,flush the pump,filter and lines and give it another try”.He was right on the money,bike fired and ran good.

He earned a nice tip for his work.....

Finally figured out the reason the other bikes ran,was when they filled, they still had a gallon or more fuel left in their tanks which diluted the bad fuel.Mine was almost completely empty when I filled it.DUH

BTW:Thanks to you folks that provided the internet research while the bike was down.

My only picture for the day

The Potting shed,complete with electric fence to keep out the four legged critters....including BEARS.. :eek:

657862677_NzAYu-L.jpg

Time for Mark and Kenny to report on their next day

...and pictures don't even begin to do this place justice!

Well, after a soggy, windy ride to get big-t’s truck, Kenny and I decided it was time to do a little something just for ourselves. Something we rarely do…always thinking about and doing for others… :/

Kenny and I headed back to some familiar territory and rode the Alpine Loop from Lake City to Ouray. Really fun stuff and not too technical. Kenny turned me loose on the Super Enduro for the climb up to Cinnamon Pass. Not sure what I was doing here, but it certainly was not a yawn. The SE is just an incredible bike for that climb!

653748725_pKDH5-L.jpg

I think I will retire right here:

653748153_KbTee-L.jpg

Kenny and I checked out a couple of side roads that went nowhere:

653750131_PU3iS-L.jpg

Then hit California Pass and Hurricane Pass:

653749646_LCVpw-L.jpg

Then over towards Corkscrew Pass

653750571_mRH28-L.jpg

We decided to run into Ouray so we could get phone service and check on Todd. Still no progress on the bike, so after a little detour to Ridgway to find brake pads, we started to get back on Todd’s route. The route called for us to go over Ophir Pass, but the “been there done that” factor was high, plus we had some nagging regrets that we had not tried Black Bear pass last year.

We blasted up Big Bear pass thinking “what’s the big deal?”. It was rough, but really not too technical.

653755803_Mbgqm-L.jpg

Goind down the other side didn’t look so bad either:

653759856_nCCTB-L.jpg

But it started to get a bit steeper:

653760642_ajysz-L-1.jpg

And steeper. This was a bit of a pucker moment as you had to let the bike roll over a ledge but still get enough brake to make the 90 degree right at the bottom. It probably wasn’t that bad, but the severe penalty of missing that turn probably made us think about it a bit longer than we normally would

653763117_jdJaR-L.jpg

As soon as I saw this famous house I knew we were past the rough stuff and we could sail right into Telluride:

653764409_fQvn8-L-1.jpg

We hooked back up with big-t’s route outside of Telluride and realized we still had a looooong way to go to Monticello Utah, so not many pictures here. We started flying through some of the smoother gravel roads trying to make up time and outrun all of the storms popping up around us. Right as the thunder and lightning started getting really intense, we ran into a fenced off portion of the trail so we had to backtrack. Luckily that took us away from the storms.

653766993_VBB9v-L.jpg

We get a message big-t was on his way to Monticello. We didn’t make it in until well after dark. We cruised through town looking for big-t’s bike at a hotel or restaurant, but no luck. We decided to park our bikes under the lights at the first restaurant in town, grab an incredibly mediocre meal, and hope big-t found us.

Finally we remembered the Spot Tracker. We called Christine and asked her to check where Todd was only to realize he was still 1.5 hrs away. The temps were dropping fast, so we decided to grab shelter for the evening. Unfortunately there was some BLM meeting, coupled with the opening of hunting season and some other event which filled up all 6 or 7 hotels in Monticello.

Kenny decided to use his southern charm and boyish good looks to sweet talk a very nice young lady at the last hotel. She came through for us big time with a conference room and 3 roll-away beds. We were not too thrilled with the idea of driving another 60 or 100 miles for a hotel, so $15/head for a conference room was a great deal.

It was also fantastic to have big-t back with us for the adventure

653767628_ypYoP-L.jpg

I’m sure Kenny has a few other good shots from this very long day. :thumbsup:

Though saddened by not having Big-T with us, I was elated to be back on the Alpine Loop trail again. It was so much fun when we were here in 2007. I wanted to get Mark’s opinion on the se in this terrain, so we switched out for the climb up Cinnamon Pass. I don’t think he minded letting me have the klr for a few miles.

655745170_AEDKM-L.jpg

Though the road is a little rough in spots, it isn’t terribly technical. You can focus on the views which are spectacular throughout. Still, running off the road would be a very bad thing.

655745981_ndeax-L.jpg

655756593_X79EN-L.jpg

655758623_448kh-L.jpg

We didn’t take as many pictures through here since we had been here before, but I did get some video from the saddle. There is still a lot we haven’t done in this area, and I would go back tomorrow if I could. Click the picture.

655890410_3FNYS-M.jpg

Descending Corkscrew is another favorite.

655759815_osgfQ-L.jpg

Black Bear pass as Mark mentioned, had it’s moments but what a payoff. If you have Neduro’s advance dualsport dvd, this pass gets some good video coverage in it.

655762563_VgXek-L.jpg

The little black dot over there is Mark.

655764926_CsZYV-L.jpg

Zoomed a little.

655765326_PSidY-L.jpg

Telluride comes in to view.

655766144_o2yL7-L.jpg

655769475_kNPj5-L.jpg

Click pic.

655909280_oSKtz-M.jpg

Soon we were blasting through some national forest routes toward Monticello. Fun stuff through here. click pic.

655914990_MJJyJ-M.jpg

I soon noticed that our headlights were so dirty I could not see Mark’s burning. Turned out the geriatric klr had blown a fuse, so as darkness drew near we unpacked it and replaced the fuse. By the time we got to Monticello it was well after dark, we were cold and hungry, and every hotel in town and in each town within a 60 mile radius was booked solid. Many thanks to the folks at Inn at the Canyons for accommodating us. The good news was Big-T was back with us. The week was flying by.

Tom, Bill and Danny, you would love this stuff.

More later…

Mark, what days were ya'll out there? We might have passed ya--we were riding the RT's but did some "cage DS'ing" in the Ridgeline up to Ophir Pass, Alpine Loop, Animas Forks, and Yankee Boy Basin. We were in Ouray 9-8 thru 9-12. Can't wait to go back with the KLR & 650GS! GREAT ride report!!! :wave:

WOW,great stuff guys,sorry I missed that section,but kind of glad I missed the "pucker"section of Blackbear. :eek:

For me the plan was to trailer to Montrose,dump the truck and ride on to Monticello to meet up with the guys.

5PM and I'm ready to ride.Punch in Monticello on the Zumo and have a look.The route makes a large U to my left.Looking that direction its solid black with lightening strikes every few minutes.A quick check to my right reveals the same,but its clear in the middle and MR Zumo shows a yellow squiggley that runs in that path.Cool....Lets ride.........BIG MISTAKE. :cry:

The first few miles were good,a few drops of rain on the road.As I started the climb up the edge of the Uncompahgre plateau the road turns to gravel,no problem,gravel is fun,but the rain is increasing which brings out a flaw with this bike.Front fender is too short and the water is slinging out the front and flying back into my face.Oh well,reducing my speed a bit will help somewhat.

A third of the way across the gravel turns into a light coating of mud.Now vision is becoming a problem as my visor and the headlight are getting splattered with mud.Too far down the road now to turn back.

At the halfway point I'm in 2 inches of mud, riding with a rag between the fingers of my left hand to wipe the visor and headlight clean as I go.Its pitch black,raining slightly and the lightening strikes are still on both sides.I'm down to 20 mph and I can barely see the Mule deer that cross in front of me.

There is absolutely nothing out here but me and the critters.. :eek:

Now there are cattle standing in the road.I slow as they move out of the way.It couldn't get much worse than this.........WRONG

I see a sign that indicates the road narrows ahead......that can't be good...It narrows to about the width of one car and it looks like its just been newly worked........and the mud is 4 inches deep and I'm constantly fighting the sideways slides.Shoulders start to ache.

Time to Man-up and get the job done.I know Mark and Kenny are sitting in a warm room,sipping a cold one and watching me on the Spottracker,while laughing their asses off at the dumb decision I made.... :P

Finally the road gets wider,the mud a little less,but still just as slippery.Seemed like forever before I get to the hardsurface.Now,only 78 miles of dark lonely road to Monticello.

Shower and a cold one will be great..........I know the guys have me covered....Wrong again.. :rofl:

Even though the bathroom is in the lobby and there is no AC, the conference room is looking pretty good and its great to get back with the guys. :thumbsup:

Pic of the bike next morning,I was afraid to get off in the mud,rain and dark to attempt a pic.Pretty sure that would have resulted in a busted asssssss. :D

657863063_ECJNA-L.jpg

Tomorrow will be a better day,will get started on it shortly

Shower and a cold one will be great..........I know the guys have me covered....Wrong again.. :rofl:

We were thinking the exact same thing as we rolled into town, tired and shivering. We just assumed you would arrive waaaay before us. :grin:

I like the way the next day started with a nice warmup and the mountains tempting us in the distance:

653770359_yGhi5-L.jpg

...take it away, big-t :thumbsup:

A third of the way across the gravel turns into a light coating of mud.Now vision is becoming a problem as my visor and the headlight are getting splattered with mud.Too far down the road now to turn back.

At the halfway point I'm in 2 inches of mud, riding with a rag between the fingers of my left hand to wipe the visor and headlight clean as I go.Its pitch black,raining slightly and the lightening strikes are still on both sides.I'm down to 20 mph and I can barely see the Mule deer that cross in front of me.

There is absolutely nothing out here but me and the critters.. :eek:

Now there are cattle standing in the road.I slow as they move out of the way.It couldn't get much worse than this.........WRONG

I see a sign that indicates the road narrows ahead......that can't be good...It narrows to about the width of one car and it looks like its just been newly worked........and the mud is 4 inches deep and I'm constantly fighting the sideways slides.Shoulders start to ache.

Todd, I noticed that road (FR402-Divide Rd.) on a map a few years ago and have been looking for a good report on it ever since.

Thanks, we appreciate it. :grin:

Its great how a new day dawns and everything changes.We woke up to a beautiful day,a bit stinky from lack of facilities.

Today we head to Greenriver UT and pass thru Moab.

Smooth riding after yesterdays mess.

657863591_Agb6F-L.jpg

657864123_GUyvm-L.jpg

657864451_qkLDU-L.jpg

657865156_jfKQ9-L.jpg

657868095_ErTba-L.jpg

Leftover snow

657868413_4sVjG-L.jpg

657868988_sKDHi-L.jpg

Look whats on the Horizon

657869081_uEP9t-L.jpg

657879607_HhDPB-L.jpg

Moab

657879890_YzQd4-L.jpg

Sand flats road coming into Moab

657879607_HhDPB-L.jpg

657881023_dCnvj-L.jpg

lunch break at the Moab Brewery

657881107_2DDjd-L.jpg

657881322_6Cmcm-L.jpg

Climbing out of Moab

657881812_G73sd-L.jpg

657882228_WnW2J-L.jpg

We ran into lots of this type road surface.

657882576_cxqFg-L.jpg

Gemini Bridges area

657883093_JrkTc-L.jpg

657884948_xCd7e-L.jpg

Close to Greenriver

657884069_5pQCz-L.jpg

657884136_ccVne-L.jpg

657884538_k8NHh-L.jpg

E.O.D

657885693_vyswJ-L.jpg

Bill,

I was on Rt90 out of Montrose that cuts the corner of the plateau,on the Zumo it looked like a paved road, :S

Going back and checking it out on mapsource confirms its a dirt road.

I had us routed on the Divide Rd,for the return trip,but we had to change plans,so I'll have to wait for your report on that road :grin: Looks good

If you went to sleep on Geyser pass and woke up a few miles later in the Moab area, you could easily be convinced you were transported to a different planet. The changes in scenery are dramatic.

Aspens on the road near Geyser pass.

655777173_98ERu-L.jpg

655777925_fx55F-L.jpg

655777689_edXbh-L.jpg

A few miles outside of Moab

655783730_m7b3q-L.jpg

Climbing out toward Gemini Bridges area.

Click pic

655939105_5nnYA-M.jpg

655788814_Wn7yc-L.jpg

655791887_LVPo7-L.jpg

655792136_VQvZA-L.jpg

Easy to get a little stupid with the throttle in here, but we managed to behave.

655793584_sjnwJ-L.jpg

655793325_GKioD-L.jpg

655794456_xZohm-L.jpg

As we got closer to Green River, I couldn’t get that CCR song out of my head. There were no barefoot girls dancin’ in the moonlight though. Time for laundry and some chow.

John,

big-t actually put the routes together. I believe most of what we did is part of the TAT route that Sam Correro put together over a period of time. TAT Map Web Site - Click here.

I'll let big-t respond about sharing the routes. I believe there is somewhat of an uspoken rule about protecting Sam's hard work. I know big-t had to prove he purchased the maps before GPS files were shared with him.

Again, I don't have many pics to add to this group.

We had been missing the mark on just about every meal this trip. I hate that! Finally this Chili Verde at Moab Brewery really hit the spot:

653782758_X4LjS-L.jpg

Probably my favorite part about traveling with big-t is the way he soaks up every experience....always a smile, a thumbs up:

653779233_Am6dA-L.jpg

Of course Kenny's battle cry of "Less talk, more throttle!" always gets me going:

653789074_oFA9u-L.jpg

The battle cry and this sign seems like a good lead in to the next day of riding...which was EPIC!!

653793721_ygoHJ-L.jpg

Who wants to kick off Black Dragon/White Rim?? :clap:

Gonna be hard to top yesterday.......or maybe not.We are already realizing the ride thru Torrey will be impossible to accomplish,so a new plan is devised to visit Black Dragon Canyon and possibly run part of the White Rim trail.........,All in one day ???

A short run down the slab brought us to an overlook at the Black Dragon canyon,where we noticed some figures lurking down in the canyon,we were pretty sure they were The Kopelli's.Often seen as the “humpback flute player” in primitive indians drawings.

Mark was quick and managed to catch a few on his camera.

653791514_B5kv5-L.jpg

Found the road down into the canyon

657821522_shTXC-L.jpg

Quick check to ensure we are on course

657832166_jTZsB-L.jpg

Nothing to worry about here

657833141_jrssG-L.jpg

A couple of returning 4x4s that found the canyon impassable

657832318_ZH8yj-L.jpg

Finally

657832721_ejPM9-L.jpg

First sign of things to come

657833350_Ct9wE-L.jpg

Starting down into the canyon

657834837_mJ4Nv-L.jpg

Nobody has been in here for a while

If I could have some wishes, my second one would be for longer legs,Mark just duck walks that KLR thru the roughest places.

657835100_Xcizu-L.jpg

getting better

657836391_zRqao-L.jpg

657838051_B5T7Q-L.jpg

657838568_sEHWr-L.jpg

It was rough going in,but worth every effort

I really hate to follow Kenny on the rough trails,especially when he stops at a bad spot to survey the trail ahead,then drops out of sight....you know then its going to be UGLY... :P...sorry no pics,You could not pry my hands off the bars. :cry:

657839057_UvtSP-L.jpg

Pictographs from another age

657840054_nEoLE-L.jpg

657840601_FjAs7-L.jpg

As usual the pics cannot convey the magnatitude of this place

This pic of Mark will give you a little better insite

657842878_ifsBu-L.jpg

657842244_2d9PB-L.jpg

657844317_T2zHJ-L.jpg

657845462_pyJtJ-L.jpg

657766655_Lxrtn-L.jpg

and the gate back onto the slab

657766796_58tU8-L.jpg

AWESOME......Gonna take a break,but the day is only half over,stay tuned

The yoga "Tree Pose" cracked me up too. It was a little embarrassing to see that several others had pulled in the parking lot after we got there. I'm sure they were wondering what the hell we were doing.

653792625_SGJ3v-L.jpg

So I guess the riverbed is now the trail???

653795456_4L76r-L.jpg

Of course I had to take this one. It's not often I see Kenny in this predicament. I had nearly busted it in some deep stuff the corner before, so I kind of chuckled when I saw him:

653797090_WtDXr-L.jpg

Is big-t ready to shoot himself? I convince them it's not too bad...keep coming!

653796543_CCQkh-L.jpg

I was really amazed how capable the KLR was through all of this stuff. I really bonded with it this week and thought seriously about selling both my GS and DRZ and giving Kenny the $600 he was asking for the bike :grin: (It's worth less now).

653798710_kq4V3-L-1.jpg

Two thumbs up this time:

653799200_VcFiZ-L-1.jpg

Little Kenny is such a tiny thing...takes up no room at all:

653802430_qGvFx-L-1.jpg

Daylight ahead and we are finally out of this canyon:

653805634_RGjaG-L-1.jpg

I did a little research on the canyon, and we apparently missed some of the really good pictographs/petroglyphs. Guess we'll have to go back!

Now let's moto down to the White Rim Trail for the second "half" of the day...

Black Dragon came highly recommended but we were a little apprehensive regarding the conditions. There had been a good bit of rain in the area over the last few weeks and a friend told me that the canyon was essentially a wash. If too much rain had fallen, it could be impassable.

It sure started out beautiful though, and we wanted to get through it.

655799517_hERE6-L.jpg

655800080_AJhxa-L.jpg

Click pic

655963770_C5h7P-M.jpg

Hard to tell where the road went, or if there was one in some places. Mark convinced us to keep plugging away at it, and we are glad he did.

655802343_rX6d6-L.jpg

It was quite stunning scenery though.

655803196_vZkHk-L.jpg

For the most part, the traction was great and there was very little deep sand here. What there was I managed to find. I wonder how good an idea it is to have a bike that you can’t pick up. I dropped mine twice in the canyon and had to get Marks help both times to right it. Thanks man, saved me from unloading the thing.

655810559_cZWdC-L.jpg

I never thought scenery like this could become routine, but we barely scratched the surface of what is here and it seemed to go on forever in all directions. Almost out of the canyon here. By any measure a great day of riding already.

655811158_T6Jhz-L.jpg

But, if some is good more is better right?

A quick blast back to Green River on I70, then off to the White Rim trail next.

It starts off with a bang. Click the pic.

655992945_nKL6G-M.jpg

With the Black Dragon experience still on out mind,a short slab toward Moab to check out the White Rim Trail is the next order of the day.Reports of 6 to 8 hours to finish make us realize that we will probably have to turn around at some point and get out before dark..

The top of the canyon at the entry point.

657767194_azTUF-L.jpg

100 feet later.the infamous Shafer switchbacks

657767525_4QnMz-L.jpg

657768143_ZW4Ee-L.jpg

There are 2 cars in this pic,can you find them?

657768779_kpPtW-L.jpg

657768484_pJDz5-L.jpg

657768865_6ojZ2-L.jpg

Finally at the bottom

657769091_2Chfb-L.jpg

New arch forming,come back in a million years and it will be ready

657769429_W8nYY-L.jpg

657769895_CdcJq-L.jpg

Glad I wasn't here 2 days ago

657770168_k4VV8-L.jpg

657770287_BMnVf-L.jpg

Click on pic

662721992_FTnKX-M.jpg

657770616_s6SmL-L.jpg

657770877_vuXcW-L.jpg

657771709_4xygn-L.jpg

657772261_f9qA8-L.jpg

There are plenty of places that will allow you some suckup time

657795412_DV6b7-L.jpg

657795747_vGGZy-L.jpg

Notice the “white rim”

657796169_VDCHc-L.jpg

I mapped out the trail in Mapsource and it showed 120 miles from Moab to Moab and everybody was enjoying the beauty and concentrating on the ride to even consider turning around........Until a mishap happened and then we realized how bad it could have been.Absolutely no cell service and it had been quite a while since we had seen anyone and still about 60 miles of hard terrain to cover.

Kenny picking up the KLR while Mark looks on.

I'm pretty sure Mark said

”it wouldn't be nuttin for me to ride 60 miles outta here in the dark with a broken foot and cracked/bruised ribs” :grin:

657796558_EY2wq-L.jpg

657797027_j3N3A-L.jpg

We tried to hustle along but it was hard not to stop and take photos

657797683_WZvU3-L.jpg

657797982_LCVVC-L.jpg

657798670_6A8HB-L.jpg

657799367_y4g4h-L.jpg

657799643_qfcb9-L.jpg

657800371_nfXAE-L.jpg

657801073_DnHUj-L.jpg

657801244_SmgtP-L.jpg

657801619_2WumQ-L.jpg

657800795_Wm73r-L.jpg

657802209_ZCTSb-L.jpg

Minor repair to get the lights on

657802474_72q4Q-L.jpg

657802653_8d6nh-L.jpg

Kudos to Kenny for leading us out for the last 3hrs in the dark,(even though we almost got buried in a sand )...It was almost impossible task,on the solid rock sections the trail just disappeared and in the dark the little turnoffs often sent us the wrong way.

...and I'm glad we paid for that executive suite.........since it was the only room left in town.. :eek:

Should you try the White Rim trail,be prepared,it just keeps coming at you,rocks,ledges,tough climbs and decents in loose stuff with ledges,rut and sand washes.

Not saying you should not do it,just be prepared.Its recommended you carry 2 days worth of food and water here,just in case.The only Park Ranger we saw was 1.5 hrs from the end of the trail.

Yeah...those switchbacks were really something!

653807180_ix3LQ-L.jpg

I've been wanting to come here for a long time. Another checkmark.

653810324_YAvCD-L.jpg

A multiple thumbs-up day:

653811331_uHsS7-L.jpg

653812932_3dwb4-L.jpg

Probably the favorite of my shots for the trip. What a place!

653813975_qHZhv-L.jpg

And then stupidty creeps in. You know you still have a looong way to go to get to Moab, you know you are running out of daylight, the roads gets a little smoother, so you twist the throttle....but you just can't stop peeking at the scenery:

653816016_wCvXz-L.jpg

Shortly after this picture, I was peeking off to my right. When I focused my attention back on the trail I noticed a decent size step-up ledge in the middle of the trail. I hit the brakes hard and tried to swerve to the side, the front started to tuck, then hooked back up and I went flying. I slid into the ledge, then the bike plowed into me. I knew I'd screwed up something, but also knew we had to get the hell out of there. The next few hours were pretty rough. I couldn't stand on the pegs so I was taking the shock of all the bumps.

Even in pain, I couldn't resist stopping for a last few pictures:

653816468_Dw79S-L.jpg

653816921_zEv6q-L.jpg

Riding in the dark the last 3 hours made it that much worse. I was so glad to get to the hotel and even more thrilled that big-t was a rolling pharmacy of pain meds. At that point I knew I could at least make it the last 200 miles to the truck.

I sure hated to end the trip this way. Tomorrow we would have to ride past the Grand Mesa and the Great Divide trail thinking of what could have been.

...and were not quite done yet....

Archived