IGNORED

Insurance

SDCRJohn

3 hours ago, lkraus said:

Policies and coverage vary by state, as do rates, and in some states Progressive may not offer roadside assistance at all.  So you really need to talk to an agent about your particular circumstances.

In Ohio, RA is $15/year.  Towing is "to the nearest qualified repair facility", no mileage limit.  A representative at the number on my Progressive insurance card told me that would be the nearest BMW dealer. I suspect that could depend on the nature of the breakdown, but there is little on my RT that a non-BMW dealer would be qualified or equipped to handle. 

Ohio details attached - note that Progressive RA coverage only applies when more than 100 miles from home.

If you have Progressive and they have not sent you a MC Policy Contract booklet you should contact them and request one.  It spells out the terms of the policy so that you are not guessing about what is covered.  This information used to be available by logging into their website, but I cannot find it today.

RA_OH.pdf 85.71 kB · 0 downloads

Larry,

thanks, I will do that, as I only received the actual policy, not the contract booklet.

John

My Progressive Towing in NC is $8 per bike and will get me to the nearest facility "for free."  But, there is up to a $100 deductible that I may be responsible for (so much for free.)

Given what a tow would cost outright without coverage, it's still a reasonable elective option IMO.

Roadside assistance is only as good as the service it provides. Do they have access to a decent sized fleet to provide tow trucks - properly equipped trucks for motorcycle towing - to be useful when needed? I can tell you that AAA does, I've used them a few times in the past for mine, my brother's, and friend's bikes, and the service was prompt and professional. I do have RA thru my insurance policies too, I've not used them yet. I read stories of no trucks available, or not equipped for bikes when they do show, but I cannot speak to that personally.

My experience with AAA was the same with my cars and trucks as well. Always quick, always professional, always a good experience in a stressful time.

Patallaire
On 1/6/2024 at 11:35 PM, Redfoxx said:

I have uninsured and under insured  coverage now.  I have so much insurance on everything it almost makes me poor.

A liability claim would most likely make you much poorer. 

Most, after a few years, can self insure the bikes, it is the liability that you want to be aware of.  If there is an accident and you are at fault, receiving the letter that says, you are covered up to "X" so please contact a lawyer for a discussion about your additional exposures, might cause some sleepless nights.  Umbrella policies are an inexpensive{by comparison} way to get a lot of coverage for less cost. Making sure your un-insured and under-insured coverage is high enough so that if someone with no insurance hits you you can survive financially for many years, if need be. 

I see these discussions about premium all the time, premium is not the problem, the problem when/if it arises, is going to be the problem. Plan for that as we plan for AGAT.  Remember, it wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark. 

John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Roadside assistance is only as good as the service it provides. Do they have access to a decent sized fleet to provide tow trucks - properly equipped trucks for motorcycle towing - to be useful when needed? I can tell you that AAA does, I've used them a few times in the past for mine, my brother's, and friend's bikes, and the service was prompt and professional. I do have RA thru my insurance policies too, I've not used them yet. I read stories of no trucks available, or not equipped for bikes when they do show, but I cannot speak to that personally.

My experience with AAA was the same with my cars and trucks as well. Always quick, always professional, always a good experience in a stressful time.

True dat!  When the trailer collapsed in CO, the assistance operator couldn't raise any nearby towing firms.  When I did reach one or two, one didn't work on Sunday and the other wouldn't tow the trailer.

Years ago, I destroyed two rims/tires on I74 about 35 miles from home.  The operator (BMW auto roadside assistance) said we were too far from a dealer ca. 25 miles away.  Then she said she didn't find a towing firm near us.  I told her to call the local sheriff's # and ask for a towing company.  She did that and a tow truck arrived in less than a half hour.  I could have done it directly but didn't want to screw up who was paying.

• Like 1

I've only had to use my roadside assistance twice, but damn if it ain't expensive, costs me all my income every month, but she'll pick me up no matter where I go down,......I may be waiting awhile if some distance away;)

• Like 2
  • Smile 2
  • chrisolson unfeatured this topic