IGNORED

Insurance

SDCRJohn

SDCRJohn

Hey guys,

Just looking for ideas or feedback on Insurance. My coverage for two bikes, a 2000 R1100 RS and a 1983 R100, that is registered in Pa. a Classic.

Dairyland Insurance increased my policy for 2024, by 35%, based on a “Inflation increase”. Nothing to do with me personally, as I’ve received no tickets and have not had any claims.

Any thoughts or ideas for a more competitive Insurance carrier?

Thanks.
John

Common theme right now. I typically check rates before renewal right now the bikes are on Progressive. 

• chrisolson featured this topic
SDCRJohn
45 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Common theme right now. I typically check rates before renewal right now the bikes are on Progressive. 

Are you satisfied with Progeessive?

I just got a “tentative” Progressive quote from a Broker, that was very competitive

Skywagon

i was with Progressive for a few years and they just kept upping my rate.  I switched to Allstate probably 5 years ago and my rate continually decreases.  I have no tickets or claims.  They advertise, wasn't sure if true, for each year you don't have tickets or claims they will reduce your rate.  I just renewed at it was $25 less than last year....and they send me a Christmas card :)

29 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

I just got a “tentative” Progressive quote from a Broker, that was very competitive

They are fine. My son had a claim with them, handled without issue  Had the cars with them for awhile but switched to allstate when they raised my rates. Progressive also has enough liability coverage on my motorcycle policy for my umbrella liability policy which dairyland or allstate wouldn't provide. Progressive hasn't raised my motorcycle rates in the past 3 years as well.  That said insurance varies state to state and not really comparable unless you're in the same state. 

John Ranalletta

The challenge is figuring out how to compare rates when household, umbrella, auto and moto are lumped.  When you guys talk about the rate for your moto, is it just the moto without bundling?

My auto, homeowners, and rental property policies are bundled. The umbrella and motorcycle are not that's currently the cheapest option for me in my area. 

• Thanks 1

I've had good luck with Geico and they have kept the rates more or less steady. Just get a quote on their website and see where it leads. Since your bikes are old, I'm assuming you do not have collision or comprehensive because that is usually pointless.

Hosstage

I just switched from Dairyland to Progressive, I saved almost 50% doing it. I had been with Dairyland for over 25 years. It pays to shop around. I use a broker, they found the best deal for me, including moving my homeowners and auto to another company, which also added an umbrella I had not previously carried.

John Ranalletta

Just checked premium for '10RT is $330/yr with collision, comprehensive and medical.  Should be able to cut it down to just over $130 cutting these out.  Hmmmmm....

I'm in PA, and for many years have had all my insurance (home, umbrella liability, car, truck, motorcycles) bundled with Allstate. Every few years I've checked motorcycle rates with other companies, but at best they only beat what I consider very reasonable rates from Allstate by a few dollars. Very convenient too having a one stop shop for all my needs.

John Ranalletta

While on insurance.  I've had instances in the past where I was sure my policy coverage is shared with other insurers.  I once called SF for a quote and after giving my name and address the guy says, "It shows your current coverage...."  When my garage was broken into and tools stolen, I claimed and was paid $4k.  When the homeowner's premium increased, I called for quotes and was told I'd not be able to change coverage for two years after the loss.  How did they know I had a loss?

Michaelr11
51 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

I called for quotes and was told I'd not be able to change coverage for two years after the loss.  How did they know I had a loss?

Much like the credit reporting bureaus, there are insurance databases where claims and all the other good and bad tid bits are posted.  You should assume that nothing is private.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
Michaelr11
3 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

I've been with Progressive, just for my bikes, for over twenty years.  Been very satisfied with them.  Last couple of years, rates went up, but less than 10%.  I had a comprehensive claim with them due to a deer collision, and they were very fair in compensation, including my gear, and because it was a comprehensive claim. there was no change to my rates. I get my coverage thru a local multi-brand agency, and the coverage is set high enough so my umbrella policy is accounted for.  My bikes are old and haven't changed in years.

All our insurance rates went up this year. No claims.

My broker looked at the increases and told me that my increases were less than most that she is seeing this year.......:dontknow:

Scott9999

I used USAA for most of my life, ever since I joined the Navy in ... ah... decades and decades ago. 😉  I'd periodically cross-check rates, and USAA was always the lowers, no fuss, no bother, and it stayed that way for years.

However, when my kids started driving in high school, I made them earn money to cover their insurance.  No insurance, no driving, so they both went to work at age 16.   However, they were complaining that they had to pay "sky high" USAA rates, when all their high school friends were paying 1/3 or 1/2 compared to them.  This went on for about six months, and I tried to explain to them that their friends probably had stripped down coverage for the old beaters that they were driving, thus paying less. 

I finally got tired of their belly aching, and started cross-checking rates.  In fact, USAA was the HIGHEST quotes.  I was pissed.  I called USAA to complain.  The rep explained to me that the rate area I was in included Camp Pendleton, with about 40,000 young, somewhat reckless drivers.  Area claims and costs dictated area rates, and my kids looked just like the young Marines to the actuaries.   My answer:  "Oh!"  

So anyhow, after that, I ended up going back to the "rotation".  Every couple of years, my rates were automatically boosted, and I called until I found a lower quote, and switched insurers.   We're back on USAA now and I'm kinda happy with the rates, which also includes my homeowners insurance bundled into it.  However, USAA does not insurance motorcycles, period.  So, my bike was insured by Geico, and I've had full coverage on it since I bought it, since it was initially financed for the first six months or so.  Geico's off season rates were only a couple of bucks less than normal, and the bike's garaged for 3-4 months, so I ended up canceling the policy altogether rather then paying like $35 a month for a bike.  (Of course, that also meant I had to report to the state of Idaho that the bike was no longer on the road, an invasion my privacy and rights which ticks me off to no end.  It's not like the "outlaws" who won't insure are going to care about Idaho law that requires EVERYONE to insure 24/7/365, but I digress.)

Bottom line, I'll do a new survey in a couple of months for my entire package of home and vehicles (two cars, the BMW moto, and a trailer).  In my experience, it's the only way to keep the insurance companies price boosts at bay.  (Wish that worked for health insurance, but they've got the government backing them, so there's no downward rate pressure due to competition.  Just saying ... 🙄😖 )

Rougarou

Where's the "you get what you pay for" people?:grin:

USAA for everything and Progressive via USAA for the bikes.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I had their insurance since they let in us enlisted scum in 1996. When I moved back to Georgia from Alabama,10 miles across the river, my rates doubled. Homeowners insurance was expensive as well.  Saved about 2000 a year with the switch. Still bank with them but that's it.

10 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

While on insurance.  I've had instances in the past where I was sure my policy coverage is shared with other insurers.  I once called SF for a quote and after giving my name and address the guy says, "It shows your current coverage...."  When my garage was broken into and tools stolen, I claimed and was paid $4k.  When the homeowner's premium increased, I called for quotes and was told I'd not be able to change coverage for two years after the loss.  How did they know I had a loss?

police reports?

• Plus 1 1
10 hours ago, Red said:

police reports?

Not necessarily. The insurance companies all contribute to a huge database and remember every claim. My broker was able to pull up every claim (mostly glass) for the last ten years from her desktop.......:read:

• Plus 1 2
BABABeemer
19 hours ago, Scott9999 said:

I used USAA for most of my life, ever since I joined the Navy in ... ah... decades and decades ago. 😉  I'd periodically cross-check rates, and USAA was always the lowers, no fuss, no bother, and it stayed that way for years.

However, when my kids started driving in high school, I made them earn money to cover their insurance.  No insurance, no driving, so they both went to work at age 16.   However, they were complaining that they had to pay "sky high" USAA rates, when all their high school friends were paying 1/3 or 1/2 compared to them.  This went on for about six months, and I tried to explain to them that their friends probably had stripped down coverage for the old beaters that they were driving, thus paying less. 

I finally got tired of their belly aching, and started cross-checking rates.  In fact, USAA was the HIGHEST quotes.  I was pissed.  I called USAA to complain.  The rep explained to me that the rate area I was in included Camp Pendleton, with about 40,000 young, somewhat reckless drivers.  Area claims and costs dictated area rates, and my kids looked just like the young Marines to the actuaries.   My answer:  "Oh!"  

So anyhow, after that, I ended up going back to the "rotation".  Every couple of years, my rates were automatically boosted, and I called until I found a lower quote, and switched insurers.   We're back on USAA now and I'm kinda happy with the rates, which also includes my homeowners insurance bundled into it.  However, USAA does not insurance motorcycles, period.  So, my bike was insured by Geico, and I've had full coverage on it since I bought it, since it was initially financed for the first six months or so.  Geico's off season rates were only a couple of bucks less than normal, and the bike's garaged for 3-4 months, so I ended up canceling the policy altogether rather then paying like $35 a month for a bike.  (Of course, that also meant I had to report to the state of Idaho that the bike was no longer on the road, an invasion my privacy and rights which ticks me off to no end.  It's not like the "outlaws" who won't insure are going to care about Idaho law that requires EVERYONE to insure 24/7/365, but I digress.)

Bottom line, I'll do a new survey in a couple of months for my entire package of home and vehicles (two cars, the BMW moto, and a trailer).  In my experience, it's the only way to keep the insurance companies price boosts at bay.  (Wish that worked for health insurance, but they've got the government backing them, so there's no downward rate pressure due to competition.  Just saying ... 🙄😖 )

Check out South Dakota registration. They register bike for 2 years at a very low cost and don’t require insurance until you take it on the road. They welcome out of state registration. Contact Robert Jankovics 8457903411 or bobjankovics@gmail.com for info.

• Thanks 1

Dairyland when I had insurance from them wasn't too bad, but I have not had a policy with them for more than 20 years.  After a low side get off on some loose gravel I had one problem with Dairlyland where they claimed the fairing on my '83 GPz was an uncovered accessory.  Several rounds of back and forth with them to prove the fairing was OEM equipment and not an accessory and finally making them realize that by disallowing the fairing and its mount would eliminate the bike being street legal as the mount was shared with the headlight.  It worked out in the end and all was covered but the hassle got me POed.  So I switched to Progressive, which was a mistake. Sure the first year was lower than all other insurers, but then they wanted +20% the next year. I learned that this seems to be Progressive's business model. They tease a low premium initially and then run it up figuring they will keep a  goodly percentage that first year because of the hassle to change and increase the premium in every following year loosing some additional policies every year.  I guess that works for them, but I dropped them with that first premium bump.  IMO Progressive is not worth the trouble if you don't want to shop again in a year.

I am all bundled up these days through Safeco, which is now owned by Liberty.  I've been with them for more than 20 years. Their rates are competitive and haven't  done the yearly increase game.  Best I can tell the premiums seem to based on model, theft likelihood, cost to fix, and accident rate for that given model.  So BMWs get a higher rate because of cost to repair but theft and crash rate is low so it wins on two of the three metrics. Best I can tell they don't seem subsidized the premiums of the bikes favored by squid riders from mature riders riding the kind of bikes they ride.  When I moved out of the city to my current rural location my premium dropped by ~30%.  I was surprised at the rate drop given how many deer and wild turkeys are in these parts, but I ain't complaining, the coverage is still as good as when I first signed up with them. The current year premium is $269 for two bikes covered the full year ('15 and '99 RT).

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

All our insurance rates went up this year. No claims.

This has not been not my experience on the motorcycles.  My premium is the same as last year.   Now our home owners was another story. Maybe with all my stuff bundled with one Insurer, it lets them play a different game and bundle the motorcycle increase elsewhere.

The 'trick' I've learned is to increase the deductible from what used to be $500 to $1,000, and that leaves me at $802 / year for both the 2018 K1600B and the 2017 R1200RT. That buys 100/300 liability, the aforementioned $1000 deductible on comp, $3,000 accessory coverage and towing. (790 FICO with no accidents, tickets or claims.70 y.o.) Progressive

ETA: Uninsured Motorist is mandatory in NC and is included in liability.

Dave_in_TX
On 1/5/2024 at 12:54 PM, Michaelr11 said:

I've been with Progressive, just for my bikes, for over twenty years.  Been very satisfied with them.  Last couple of years, rates went up, but less than 10%.  I had a comprehensive claim with them due to a deer collision, and they were very fair in compensation, including my gear, and because it was a comprehensive claim. there was no change to my rates. I get my coverage thru a local multi-brand agency, and the coverage is set high enough so my umbrella policy is accounted for.  My bikes are old and haven't changed in years.

I have been a Progressive customer for several years. My rate this year actually went down - I got a discount for being a long term customer. This is after three no fault accidents (two deer collisions and being rear ended).

Oldrider51

Adding my 0.02 I have used Progressive for over 4 years with full coverage on my 2016 and it has finally increased to $246 per year. I have checked Geico,  Nationwide, and others and Progressive has always been less for the same coverage.

5 hours ago, Stiggy said:

The 'trick' I've learned is to increase the deductible from what used to be $500 to $1,000, and that leaves me at $802 / year for both the 2018 K1600B and the 2017 R1200RT. That buys 100/300 liability, the aforementioned $1000 deductible on comp, $3,000 accessory coverage and towing. (790 FICO with no accidents, tickets or claims.70 y.o.) Progressive

ETA: Uninsured Motorist is mandatory in NC and is included in liability.

on your ETA , I have uninsured and under insured  coverage now.  I have so much insurance on everything it almost makes me poor.

• Like 1
SDCRJohn

Thanks to all who replied with some good advice.
I called a local Ins. Broker, and received a very competitive Progressive quote.

John

DonBernow
6 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

Thanks to all who replied with some good advice.
I called a local Ins. Broker, and received a very competitive Progressive quote.

John

Did you try Geico?  I have my 14 GTL and 17 GS with them.  Rates have remained steady at about ~400/yr for both.  Mid Ohio in the township.  No claims on MC ever.  I do have 1k deductibles and full 100/300 coverage.

Witty_Low
On 1/5/2024 at 4:17 PM, Rougarou said:

Me too. I had several claims and they were reasonable. I won't say they're the cheapest, but they handle their business.

SDCRJohn
21 hours ago, DonBernow said:

Did you try Geico?  I have my 14 GTL and 17 GS with them.  Rates have remained steady at about ~400/yr for both.  Mid Ohio in the township.  No claims on MC ever.  I do have 1k deductibles and full 100/300 coverage.

No, I received a very competitive quote from Progressive, through a local broker. She is also a rider, and I felt comfortable to work with her. The policy is 40% less than my current Dairyland, and it contains some financial upgrades

• Like 1

Before I settled on Progressive, Geico was competitive at the $500 deductible quote. When I went to $1,000 deductible, Progressive dropped a bunch while Geico didn't.

Progressive has been super with me--2018 RT in Oregon.  Currently fully covered with comprehensive and Roadside assistance for $88 year.  [ Helps to be fully a senior and mostly sober] :5170:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, bendbill said:

Progressive has been super with me--2018 RT in Oregon.  Currently fully covered with comprehensive and Roadside assistance for $88 year.  [ Helps to be fully a senior and mostly sober] :5170:

The broker that wrote my new Progressive policy did not mention Roadside assistance. Would be that be included in all states? I’m in Pennsylvania.

18 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

The broker that wrote my new Progressive policy did not mention Roadside assistance. Would be that be included in all states? I’m in Pennsylvania.

Sorry I can't answer.  I dealt with Progressive directly

R21A-Bumble

Had to fire Safeco after 15 years due to poor claim response. Been happy with Progressive on 7 old bikes.

2 hours ago, R21A-Bumble said:

Had to fire Safeco after 15 years due to poor claim response. Been happy with Progressive on 7 old bikes.

Interesting.  I have had two claims with them on our cars over the years and they were no fuss, no muss.  The last claim they even waived the deductible because of the length of time since we have made a claim.  Premiums didn't jump up after either event. 

That said, I have never made a claim with them on the motorcycles. Maybe they treat motorcycle policies differently as we are all still stuck with the Wild Ones & Evil Knievel stereotype :bike:

Untitled.jpg.54b4a82e159eee74823026fd4a205e58.jpgimages.jpg.d8cf046d9d1ec2e032a9e35ebcd78ea2.jpg

Dave_in_TX
On 1/10/2024 at 5:43 AM, SDCRJohn said:

On my policy, roadside assistance is a $9 add-on.

R21A-Bumble

Too be fair, my claim was for a dent in my truck door and I think the person in charge of the claim was overworked, stressed, or incompetent. Haven't had a bike claim, yet. Hope the MOA will come thru if I need roadside assistance.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:19 AM, SDCRJohn said:

Hey guys,

Just looking for ideas or feedback on Insurance. My coverage for two bikes, a 2000 R1100 RS and a 1983 R100, that is registered in Pa. a Classic.

Dairyland Insurance increased my policy for 2024, by 35%, based on a “Inflation increase”. Nothing to do with me personally, as I’ve received no tickets and have not had any claims.

Any thoughts or ideas for a more competitive Insurance carrier?

Thanks.
John

Mine went up with Dairyland and I switched back to Progressive and it was 1/3 what Dairyland wanted. 

• Like 1
On 1/11/2024 at 5:36 PM, Dave_in_TX said:

On my policy, roadside assistance is a $9 add-on.

so, I should able to add Roadside Assistance for just $9.?

Dave_in_TX
4 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

Probably. Check with your insurance broker or go online to Progressive's web site to verify.

1 hour ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Probably. Check with your insurance broker or go online to Progressive's web site to verify.

Got the policy in the mail today, on my proof of insurance card, there is a “roadside assistance” 800 number. So, yeah, it is also included with my policy, although the line item, is $10..

do you know what this service includes? Like how far they will transport a motorbike?

25 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

Got the policy in the mail today, on my proof of insurance card, there is a “roadside assistance” 800 number. So, yeah, it is also included with my policy, although the line item, is $10..

do you know what this service includes? Like how far they will transport a motorbike?

Call your agent, why ask here how would we know, they can vary by state and policy.

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX
2 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

This is "second hand" information but I have been told by someone who asked Progressive about it that they would transport it to the nearest BMW dealer.

AAA will transport to the nearest "authorized" repair shop. What I've found is that I am the one authorizing which shop it will be delivered to, I think within 50 miles. Over 40 miles may incur a surcharge. I've had mine taken to my independent shop rather than a dealer, no questions asked.

9 hours ago, SDCRJohn said:

Policies and coverage vary by state, as do rates, and in some states Progressive may not offer roadside assistance at all.  So you really need to talk to an agent about your particular circumstances.

In Ohio, RA is $15/year.  Towing is "to the nearest qualified repair facility", no mileage limit.  A representative at the number on my Progressive insurance card told me that would be the nearest BMW dealer. I suspect that could depend on the nature of the breakdown, but there is little on my RT that a non-BMW dealer would be qualified or equipped to handle. 

Ohio details attached - note that Progressive RA coverage only applies when more than 100 miles from home.

If you have Progressive and they have not sent you a MC Policy Contract booklet you should contact them and request one.  It spells out the terms of the policy so that you are not guessing about what is covered.  This information used to be available by logging into their website, but I cannot find it today.

RA_OH.pdf