IGNORED

Oil Change Time Coming Up

Steveyacht

22 hours ago, Oldrider51 said:

They also have a hex head, and taller than GoldPlug, so not sure if it'd protrude below the headers a little. And it's twice the price as the GoldPlug (which also uses top quality magnets, plus good quality S/S). I'd like to see photos of both installed before buying either one. But the idea of using magnetic drain plugs (they claim) is they remove ferrous metal dust that no oil filter can actually filter. But who knows.

Steveyacht
14 minutes ago, craydds said:

I ordered a Stahlbus oil drain valve:  https://www.stahlbus-us.com/oil-drain-valve/oil-drain-valve/stahlbus-oil-drain-valve-m20x15x12mm-steel-set.html .

Recently did my 36K miles service (before ordering the Stahlbus) so I will install drain valve at next oil change; 42K miles.  Will make a video of install and oil drain process.

Here is a video by Normski:  

Looks like a nice unit. My only concern is how low it is . Does it become the lowest ground clearance point when installed?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

Looks like a nice unit. My only concern is how low it is . Does it become the lowest ground clearance point when installed?

That is a valid concern.  I know it will protrude beneath the oil drain.  I shall go the the garage and make some measurements.

edit:  Stock drain plug sticks down 5 mm below the engine case.  The Stahlbus valve will hang down 24 mm.  It will definitely be a low point beneath the engine.  Could be a concern.  I definitely will NOT be doing any off-roading on my R1250RT.

• Like 1

I'd seriously reconsider keeping that valve. If you had to go thru a 4x4  or something (something not uncommon where I live), you could ruin your engine, AND get stranded. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Dave_in_TX
On 12/29/2023 at 7:49 AM, Wayne Johnson said:

You can source Amazon for oil and filter. I've been told the Motoraad oil provides a smoother shift but haven't experimented to compare. The new shift cams are asking a lot out of the oil with lubrication, cooling and transmission so i tend to change a little early based on those factors even at nearly a $100 doing it yourself I don,t think Its worth skimping at least during the warranty period

My one experience with the BMW branded oil was that the shifting was clunky. My BMWs have shifted better with Liqui Moly or Motul.

Steveyacht
3 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

My one experience with the BMW branded oil was that the shifting was clunky. My BMWs have shifted better with Liqui Moly or Motul.

I'm not sure if you saw my comment about oil earlier, but I have been using Spectro oil for about 40 years.  In my previous motorcycles, it smoothed out clunky shifts and the oil temp and over all engine temps were cooler.  Spectro used to be the exclusive oil provider for BMW Motorrad, at least here in the USA.  I have used Motul once, I had to try it, but went back to Spectro when I didn't notice any appreciable difference.  Never tried Liquid Moly, I may have to put that on my list, one day.

Dave_in_TX
11 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

I'm not sure if you saw my comment about oil earlier, but I have been using Spectro oil for about 40 years.  In my previous motorcycles, it smoothed out clunky shifts and the oil temp and over all engine temps were cooler.  Spectro used to be the exclusive oil provider for BMW Motorrad, at least here in the USA.  I have used Motul once, I had to try it, but went back to Spectro when I didn't notice any appreciable difference.  Never tried Liquid Moly, I may have to put that on my list, one day.

I used Spectro many years ago and while it was OK, I wasn't overly impressed eith it. If Spectro was the oil provider for BMW it was very long ago. Castrol was the supplier to BMW for many years prior to BMW's switch to Shell.

Steveyacht
14 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I used Spectro many years ago and while it was OK, I wasn't overly impressed eith it. If Spectro was the oil provider for BMW it was very long ago. Castrol was the supplier to BMW for many years prior to BMW's switch to Shell.

ILC, International Lubricants Corporation (Parent company of Spectro) became the OEM supplier of oils, engine oil, fork oils, and gear oils for BMW of North America for 28 years, beginning in 1984.

I sold Spectro products for many years.  I've been using it for decades in multiple bikes.  Never an oil related issue. 

Any supplier to a manufacturer just packages their product with the manufacturer's label.  The engineers decide the the rating & viscosity for each application.  If the oil, regardless of brand meets the rating and viscosity (in our case SAE 5W40, API SL / JASO MA2) you can use it without worry.

If a manufacturer switches suppliers it is typically a financial decision. Those choices are by the bean-counters not the engineers. 

• Like 3
Dave_in_TX
5 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

ILC, International Lubricants Corporation (Parent company of Spectro) became the OEM supplier of oils, engine oil, fork oils, and gear oils for BMW of North America for 28 years, beginning in 1984.

Not that it makes much difference but interestingly, Spectro is now owned by Motorex:

https://powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2023/02/14/motorex-usa-to-acquire-spectro-performance-oils/

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2023 at 8:19 AM, craydds said:

Glad you've had good results with K&N.  Again, my amigo found out too late, "DO NOT USE K&N" ; it was a known defective product, and warnings had been issued.  Of course, proper oil is always important.  

Back to the original thread, I always use the BMW recommended oil and filter.  Now, I may have to consider Boxflyer's suggestion of a Purolator Boss PBL 10241.

I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to share my personal experience with a K&N oil filter on my 2014 Honda CTX1300. During a road trip to Monument Valley, the oil filter started leaking oil at the base of the nut on top of the unit, which left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, the oil didn't reach the rear tire, or the outcome could have been disastrous. Since that day, I have made a decision to never buy a K&N oil filter again.

• Like 2