IGNORED

Oil Change Time Coming Up

Steveyacht

It will be time for me to change the oil in my 2023 R1250RT in about 1000 miles or so.  This  will be the second oil service, the first being done by the dealer.  I have been changing the oil and minor servicing of my own bikes since 1973, while it make take me more time to get up off the floor now than it did in '73, I actually enjoy doing it.  At lease now I have a center stand again, which makes it easier.  

My question is, what oil filter is compatible with this bike?  Over the past 10 years I have been using the NAPA Platinum filters on my Victory's but I can't find a part number for this bike. So, what filter would this learned body of experts recommend?  

Along the same line, does this bike have a magnetic drain plug and would it be recommended to add one if not? 

As always, thank you in advance for your advice.  And may you all have the best for the New Year.

S

I personally would use the BMW filter, still manufactured by Mahle I believe until you are out of warranty. Then order Mahle filters (and oil!) from Beemer Boneyard. IMHO, you have a $25k+ bike so quibbling over $5 for something as important as proper lubrication just isn’t worth it. I also use BMW oil for my warranty period. You will get tons of opinions on this…

Happy new year and enjoy your scoot. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

I personally would use the BMW filter, still manufactured by Mahle I believe until you are out of warranty. Then order Mahle filters (and oil!) from Beemer Boneyard. IMHO, you have a $25k+ bike so quibbling over $5 for something as important as proper lubrication just isn’t worth it. I also use BMW oil for my warranty period. You will get tons of opinions on this…

Happy new year and enjoy your scoot. 

I never skimp when it comes to oil, oil filters or other items for any of my current or previous motorcycles.  I looked on Beemer Boneyard and found the website not very user friendly, at least to me.  If a BMW dealer was within a reasonable distance, I would buy from them.  But, please, do not think that my asking on here suggests I'm looking to cheap out, as many may be, I am not.  

Oh, none taken. My closest dealer of choice is 280 miles distant. My mom in law gets me a case (12) of Advantec oil and 3 BMW branded filters every Christmas. I’m lucky in that regard. When my ‘22 is out of warranty I will use Beemer Boneyard. They used to offer a 10% discount to BMWST members. 

2 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Oh, none taken. My closest dealer of choice is 280 miles distant. My mom in law gets me a case (12) of Advantec oil and 3 BMW branded filters every Christmas. I’m lucky in that regard. When my ‘22 is out of warranty I will use Beemer Boneyard. They used to offer a 10% discount to BMWST members. 

It would be nice to have someone close enough to do that for me.  I'm simply looking for convenience, not cost savings. I tried the Boneyard's website, but found it difficult to navigate, I'm OLD, remember?  LOL If I could navigate their site as easily as Amazon or Ebay, I would order from them

By the way, he NAPA Platinum filter line is manufactured by WIX, in North Carolina and are considered one of the finest oil filters one can use, their Gold filter line is also quite nice, I used those in my cars and trucks.

I have been using MAHLE filters for decades on my 1973 Norton 750 Commando (that I bought new) which I purchase using a NAPA part number, they come in an unmarked box, with made in Germany printed on it, inside are blue MAHLE filters. 

The oil I prefer and have been using since 1984 used to be the brand BMW Motorrad dealers used until they went to Advantec, according to a long time BMW dealership owner, and it is nearly 50% more costly than Advantec.  Sorry, I wandered too far off point.

6 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Max bmw has great prices and free m&m with each order.

Free M&M's?  That's worth the price of admission!  Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes sir I am old also but living in central Arkansas and having no local dealer I am well versed in ordering online. Like Bernie says just call them. My mom in law buys from my preferred dealer and they ship. I know what it’s like to have your local dealer close up shop on you. It’s not pretty. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rinkydink said:

Yes sir I am old also but living in central Arkansas and having no local dealer I am well versed in ordering online. Like Bernie says just call them. 

Calling is so bourgeois, it's the trill of the hunt, man!  Tally Ho!

• Like 1

Also look at BobsBMW.com, I believe that they offer free shipping, similar pricing to MaxBMW.com. Have ordered from both of them. Or WundrlichUSA.com has kits, but probably a little higher in price and no free shipping. or go to Amazon for the filters and desired oil with correct rating for the bike.

• Plus 1 1
7 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

I actually saw that one, then I looked at the ratings, after reading the one and two star comments, I decided against it. I actually have this one in my cart.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015GEX5QU/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=AT2QYMVO6LRBZ&psc=1

I'm on my second OC619 with no issues. It's what BeemerShop and Wunderlich sell. Looks to be the same filter just not BMW branded.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dan M said:

I'm on my second OC619 with no issues. It's what BeemerShop and Wunderlich sell. Looks to be the same filter just not BMW branded.

I agree, they look the same, Part number is the same one is made in EU, this one is made in China, from what I read in the feedback loop.

10 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

I agree, they look the same, Part number is the same one is made in EU, this one is made in China, from what I read in the feedback loop.

That's weird.   Mine says "Made in Austria" right on the filter.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Steveyacht said:

I think there are likely some counterfeits on Amazon, so sometimes you may get a Chinese knock off and sometimes the legit Austrian-made one.  Probably safest to buy from a known good source.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

The filters are the same.  In the attached picture is a BMW filter (I got from my dealer) it even says Male Made in Austria.  The Male filter is from Beemer Boneyard and it too says made in Austria.  As far back as I can remember BMW filters have been made by Male, I've been ridding BMW for over 20 years.

20231229_064045.jpg

Wayne Johnson

You can source Amazon for oil and filter. I've been told the Motoraad oil provides a smoother shift but haven't experimented to compare. The new shift cams are asking a lot out of the oil with lubrication, cooling and transmission so i tend to change a little early based on those factors even at nearly a $100 doing it yourself I don,t think Its worth skimping at least during the warranty period

• Like 2

I bought the Male filter kit (4 of them) from Beemer Boneyard since day 1 (bike bought with 0 miles), with the understanding they're the same thing as the OEM, so hope a warranty claim wouldn't be denied because of that. And oil is not a problem if it's the correct one; I use Castrol Power1 4T 5/40, which has the BMW specifications, so zero issues. I have a little less than a year of warranty left, but I don't anticipate any power-train issues. Bike runs and shifts great, and has no noticeable oil consumption. I wanted to use a magnetic drain plug, but couldn't find one that wouldn't protrude down. Found one recently, which I don't think it'd protrude... but not sure a socket would clear an engine case 'seam' really close to the drain plug. Any ideas? It's this one: https://goldplug.com/shop/ap07/

3 hours ago, Bob H. said:

I have been using K&N KN-160 oil filters for the last fourteen years on my RTs. Cost $15-16.

I urge everyone to exercise extreme caution.  I have firsthand knowledge from a friend  whose motor got TRASHED because of a K&N filter; research discovered after the fact that K&N filters are defective.   Do your own research and make an informed decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, craydds said:

I urge everyone to exercise extreme caution.  I have firsthand knowledge from a friend  whose motor got TRASHED because of a K&N filter; research discovered after the fact that K&N filters are defective.   Do your own research and make an informed decision.

Was this a shiftcam engine?

3 hours ago, Bluenoser said:

Was this a shiftcam engine?

Not a shiftcam, but a Triumph Bonneville.  Yeah, I know... however, the fact is that K&N sold a defective oil filter for the Bonneville (my friend was unaware until after the disaster).  

Also, to those who use K&N air filters - beware. They allow dirt to pass right through into your intake; totally unacceptable here in the desert southwest.  Project Farm does a good test of air filters.

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

I switched from the BMW/Mahle oil filter to the Purolator Boss PBL10241 based on the recommendation of @Boxflyer (Brad) for all the reasons he provided. His recommendation was all I needed. 👍

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Motorhead1977 said:

I switched from the BMW/Mahle oil filter to the Purolator Boss PBL10241 based on the recommendation of @Boxflyer (Brad) for all the reasons he provided. His recommendation was all I needed. 👍

So what were those recommendations or where can others read them? Where do you find this oil filter?

21 hours ago, craydds said:

I have close to 400K miles using K&N oil filters on four different RTs and never had a problem. Maybe your friend didn't use the proper oil.

• Like 3

K&N earned a sketchy reputation initially when their primary product was high-flow air filters.  And yes, those high-flow air filters would allow visible dust particles to pass through the filter media and into your engine.  Based on that early reputation for poor filtration of air, I have been reluctant to use other K&N products.  However, K&N oil filters have been tested by several independent labs, and found to have adequate performance.  Many users like their signature feature of a nut welded to the bottom to facilitate removal.

For most of us who use our bikes primarily for touring, and change the oil frequently, we don't need super-premium oil filters.  Adequate is fine.  I think the Mahle OC619 is in that category.  My complaint with Mahle is that they have doubled in price over the last several years.  That's why I switched to the mid-grade Purolator One PL10241 that I linked in a post above, currently selling for about $10.  Even the top-rated Purolator Boss is a lot less expensive than the Mahle.

For the geeks among us, I recommend this YouTube channel for their tests of oil filters:

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Bob H. said:

I have close to 400K miles using K&N oil filters on four different RTs and never had a problem. Maybe your friend didn't use the proper oil.

Glad you've had good results with K&N.  Again, my amigo found out too late, "DO NOT USE K&N" ; it was a known defective product, and warnings had been issued.  Of course, proper oil is always important.  

Back to the original thread, I always use the BMW recommended oil and filter.  Now, I may have to consider Boxflyer's suggestion of a Purolator Boss PBL 10241.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, craydds said:

Glad you've had good results with K&N.  Again, my amigo found out too late, "DO NOT USE K&N" ; it was a known defective product, and warnings had been issued.  Of course, proper oil is always important.  

Back to the original thread, I always use the BMW recommended oil and filter.  Now, I may have to consider Boxflyer's suggestion of a Purolator Boss PBL 10241.

When you say, "warnings have been issued", where can one find these warnings and what authority issued them?

• Like 1

@Steveyacht As stated earlier your RT is still under warranty. I highly doubt you will ever have a engine failure or other issue related to the engine lubrication system. But... if it happens BMW NA may request your records related to what oil and filter were used during oil changes. While you don't have to use BMW branded products you are required to use products that meet their specifications. While the Purolator and K and N filters may work and fit I don't think you are going to find them listed for use in the 1250 engine. For me its just not worth the potential hassle to save a couple of bucks or in a search for a better filter.

I'll continue to use the Mahle filter until the warranty is finished on my 22 R1250RT.  I don't use BMW oil but the spec for the oil I use meets the BMW spec. My 2019 R1250GS is out of warranty and at the next oil change I'll go with the Purolator which if I'm not mistaken is owned by Mahle not that it matters 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Been using Rotella T6 since the freebie 600 mile service for the GSA, fluctuate between brands depending on which is on sale.  The RT has been using the same since about I don't know when.

But, this is an oil thread, so somebody had to mention Rotella:18:  (but it doesn't meet the specs,.....well ok)

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

... Purolator which if I'm not mistaken is owned by Mahle ...

Purolator is an American company that invented oil filters in 1923.  At some point they formed an international subsidiary that Mahle subsequently purchased in 1999.  But the US division of Purolator remained independent of Mahle.  Later, both Purolator and Wix were acquired by MANN HUMMEL.  And Wix makes filters that are sold by other brands like NAPA.  As of now, it seems like each of the original filter companies under MANN HUMMEL (Purolator, Wix, and Mann) have some unique designs, implying that they have some independent engineering.

I like that Purolator has 3 distinct tiers of quality with the traditional good-better-best labeling.  And the prices are good.  I am not a fan of Beemer Boneyard for small purchases like a single oil filter  -- their prices are OK, but then you get slammed with shipping and the net cost becomes non-competitive with other online retailers.

Cap

• Like 2

23 R1250RS 2nd oil test.pdf20 years of one dealer has earned me nice discounts .  I get oem BMW filter for 12.98 with a washer .   On filters there has long been a debate about them and I can tell a dealer story about K&N .   Local dealer was using K&N over OEM on new motorcycles ( Suzuki brand ) on the new service or 1st service at 600 miles .  Well several bikes were damaged internally and seized on riders or quit while running .   These motors were not warrantied by Suzuki due to K&N filters were the cause of oil starvation. 

Dealer had to buy many new engines for customers .    The parts manger was my  old roommate , and shared this with me . 

Personally K&N for air filters for , but not oil .     

Yesterday I mailed off to Blackstone labs my 3rd oil sample .   1st two were BMW 5W/40  and this sample is Rotella 5W/40  at 2733 miles of use .  BMW branded oil was 347 miles 1st sample and 2719 miles 2nd sample .   TBN tests on both 2nd sample and 3rd sample .   TBN is a life remaining estimate test .  

23 R1250RS 2nd oil test.pdf

• Like 1
15 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

@Steveyacht As stated earlier your RT is still under warranty. I highly doubt you will ever have a engine failure or other issue related to the engine lubrication system. But... if it happens BMW NA may request your records related to what oil and filter were used during oil changes. While you don't have to use BMW branded products you are required to use products that meet their specifications. While the Purolator and K and N filters may work and fit I don't think you are going to find them listed for use in the 1250 engine. For me its just not worth the potential hassle to save a couple of bucks or in a search for a better filter.

I'll continue to use the Mahle filter until the warranty is finished on my 22 R1250RT.  I don't use BMW oil but the spec for the oil I use meets the BMW spec. My 2019 R1250GS is out of warranty and at the next oil change I'll go with the Purolator which if I'm not mistaken is owned by Mahle not that it matters 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, c10 said:

23 R1250RS 2nd oil test.pdf20 years of one dealer has earned me nice discounts .  I get oem BMW filter for 12.98 with a washer .   On filters there has long been a debate about them and I can tell a dealer story about K&N .   Local dealer was using K&N over OEM on new motorcycles ( Suzuki brand ) on the new service or 1st service at 600 miles .  Well several bikes were damaged internally and seized on riders or quit while running .   These motors were not warrantied by Suzuki due to K&N filters were the cause of oil starvation. 

Dealer had to buy many new engines for customers .    The parts manger was my  old roommate , and shared this with me . 

Personally K&N for air filters for , but not oil .     

Yesterday I mailed off to Blackstone labs my 3rd oil sample .   1st two were BMW 5W/40  and this sample is Rotella 5W/40  at 2733 miles of use .  BMW branded oil was 347 miles 1st sample and 2719 miles 2nd sample .   TBN tests on both 2nd sample and 3rd sample .   TBN is a life remaining estimate test .  

23 R1250RS 2nd oil test.pdf 18.01 kB · 1 download

While we're turning this into an oil thread :), I bought 5 gallons of Ultra 1 Plus 5W-40 (also Jaso MA2 rated,) and sent a virgin sample off to Blackstone as well to establish a starting point. (At $5.60 a quart I had my doubts!)

I was pleasantly surprised by the results and this oil is in the K1600 as of this weekend. I'll run it 5,000 and resubmit a sample too.

Blackstone Ultra.png

• Like 2

I thank you for your notifying me of the perils of not using the correct products, lest their use lead to a mechanical failure,  failure that BMW may not cover under warranty because of an oil or filter failure.  One must use high quality parts and fluids that meet or exceed minimum specifications set forth by the manufacturer, in this case, BMW Motorrad, and be able to provide records of such services and what parts were used.  

First, I have been servicing my own motorcycles since 1971,  (knock on hardwood, I've never had a failure in over 300,000 miles related to any service I've performed)  I keep meticulous records and receipts of when the service was performed, who did it and receipts of parts/fluids used.  No problem there. 

The next thing is, "Meets or exceeds manufacturers specifications".  For fluids this is easy, it's printed right on the container.  However, I have yet to find any information on what the minimum specifications are for oil filters.  Not saying they don't exist, but I've not yet located a source.  If anyone has such a source, or knows of the specifications, I sure would like to see them.

This is why I only use high quality fluids and filters.  For my past new motorcycles, since 1984 I have exclusively used Spectro Oils, the same company that was the supplier to BMW Motorrad for about 30 years, I plan on continuing to use their products, as long as they meet or exceed the minimum spec.  As far as filters go, I have used NAPA Gold or Platinum filters, (Made by Wix) and have never had a filter related failure. I would continue to use the platinum filter, but they don't have one that fits.  (PS: the Gold and Platinum filters exceed most manufactures specs)

I am intrigued by the prospect of the top of the line Purolator, mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I must see if it meets those elusive minimum specifications. Until then, I'll use either BMW or Mahle filters.

• Like 3

Magnunson-Moss Warranty Act concerning what you can use and if it will be warranted.......the onus is on the dealership to prove that what you did caused the failure.  Now some will chime in stating that BMW has the resources to just refuse services if they "suspect" you used Rotella (or other non-spec'd oil) vs BMW spec'd oil, and that's fine, lawyer up.  If the engine failed, would the oil in the engine cause the engine failure?,.......probably not even the mighty BMW has kinks in the armor of quality control and an engine failure would, in my opinion, not be due to the use of the "wrong" oil.  I'll take the chance.

I'm nearing 200k combined miles using Rotella in the bikes I've owned and none have had engine issues.  I also use HiFlo filters or other lower costs filters, and no engine issues.

Just my €0.02

• Like 4

The main issue with aftermarket oil filters IMO is the lack of pressure relief valve specification (including proper pressure needed). A filter media specification would be nice too, but that's why I always stick with OEM filters, within warranty or not. I hope those Male OC619 are identical to OEMs, since I bought them due to Beemer Boneyard being cheaper with a kit of 4 (not to save money on a cheaper filter). I hardly ever run oil to 5K miles, so don't  need a 'long life' filter; just an adequate one with the proper specifications, so OEMs are the best option for me. Finally, nobody replied on the magnetic plug I posted, but not sure how much of a difference they actually make. They might be the most effective the first few thousand miles, due to break-in, and I didn't have one, so probably not that important to install one now. But who knows.

• Like 1
Rinkydink

I bought an aftermarket magnetic oil drain plug for one of my old RTs. I don’t remember who I bought it from. It rusted up on the outside so bad I eventually threw it away. 

• Like 1

The GoldPlug one I posted is S/S, and shallow (like the stock one), BUT I don't know if the large size socket needed would fit, with an engine seam really close to the drain plug. I haven't found any other, so will probably leave it alone. Wish somebody made one just like the stock one (shallow allen socket head), but magnetic.

Bluenoser
4 hours ago, JCtx said:

The main issue with aftermarket oil filters IMO is the lack of pressure relief valve specification (including proper pressure needed). A filter media specification would be nice too, but that's why I always stick with OEM filters, within warranty or not. I hope those Male OC619 are identical to OEMs, since I bought them due to Beemer Boneyard being cheaper with a kit of 4 (not to save money on a cheaper filter). I hardly ever run oil to 5K miles, so don't  need a 'long life' filter; just an adequate one with the proper specifications, so OEMs are the best option for me. Finally, nobody replied on the magnetic plug I posted, but not sure how much of a difference they actually make. They might be the most effective the first few thousand miles, due to break-in, and I didn't have one, so probably not that important to install one now. But who knows.

FYI, Magnetic plugs are used on aircraft engines and gearboxes extensively, most of them are wired to a warning light so if a piece of metal or filings are picked up on the plug there is a warning of possible failure, referred to as a chip light. Happens quite often on some components.  Just saying that the main purpose is to aid in monitoring health of the components, not necessarily to remove metal from the oil and finding very small slivers, fuzz is quite normal. 

• Like 2
Steveyacht
12 hours ago, Bluenoser said:

FYI, Magnetic plugs are used on aircraft engines and gearboxes extensively, most of them are wired to a warning light so if a piece of metal or filings are picked up on the plug there is a warning of possible failure, referred to as a chip light. Happens quite often on some components.  Just saying that the main purpose is to aid in monitoring health of the components, not necessarily to remove metal from the oil and finding very small slivers, fuzz is quite normal. 

Good, high quality magnetic oil plugs can also be very effective in capturing any metal particles, small slivers and fuzz to prevent it from contaminating the engine's lubrication system and really causing havoc on babbitt style bearings, clogging small oil passages and doing other damage.  The metallic "fuzz", in the oiling systems, basically acts like sandpaper, not something I want circulating through my engine.

• Like 1

Thankfully, the lubrication path is sump to pump to filter then on to lubricating the engine. A good filter will do it's job and catch anything before it can cause any damage.

A magnetic drain plug is far more useful catching ferrous bits in a final drive or transmission. 

• Like 2