IGNORED

R1250RT Central Lock Went Crazy

profbodryak

The central lock button does not respond. Central lock will cycle through open/close by itself without prompt several times. Has anyone else experienced this? I just reset the TFT but issue persists. 

Sorry for your problem, but don't you just love modern electronics? Find the module and unplug it and then plug it back in, it might reset it.

I think I lost count of how many times I've been to the service for these little issues... 

Good idea, thank you. Parts fiche would probably give an idea of where it might be. 

So waiting on a new combination switch while had a used one installed temporarily. The central lock button was generating spontaneous activations therefore spontaneous lock/unlock cycles. 

• 1 month later...
profbodryak

At this point a bit frustrated about the number of times I had to return to the dealer with issues. The switch was just replaced this past weekend however I will be returning in three weeks and here is why:

1. Right side case lock was freezing every time temperatures dropped overnight rendering it unusable. The entire side case will be replaced under warranty.

2. I complained on here sometime ago that my windscreen would constantly get out of sync and not automatically go up and down. This has become so unpredictable - whether I let the start up procedures complete or not - it goes out of sync whenever it wants to. With complaints of a cricket that lives somewhere in the dashboard, they will be taking off all of the fairing in the front to make sure all of the rivets are properly secured but will be doing so because the windscreen motor will be replaced under warranty as suspecting it being the culprit of the windscreen sync issue.

3. Just to add to the list, this past weekend the battery was also replaced after 7 months of ownership because it failed the test and turned out to be from a bad batch. This was preceded by several times of being unable to start the bike on a first attempt in the morning.

I'd say, I've been visiting the dealer about once a month on average since I purchased it in the end of June.

• Like 1

Those freaking bikes are almost as complicated as a car now. Ha ha. Even my ex-2014 fully-loaded RT was a stripper by comparison. That's why I'm happy with my naked R, although it still has a lot of crap that could go wrong, since it's also fully optioned. But much simpler to fix that those land yachts. Ha ha.

profbodryak

Never had this many issues on one bike in such a short period of time, just saying...

On 1/30/2024 at 11:06 PM, JCtx said:

Those freaking bikes are almost as complicated as a car now. Ha ha. Even my ex-2014 fully-loaded RT was a stripper by comparison. That's why I'm happy with my naked R, although it still has a lot of crap that could go wrong, since it's also fully optioned. But much simpler to fix that those land yachts. Ha ha.

They are more complicated than my car....

This explains why those of us who grew up spending our weekends trouble-shooting Lucas electronics are so reluctant to get too many electronic and automatic gadgets. Every one is a potential for failure.

• Like 1
profbodryak

I agree and I don't at the same time. It does appear that most of the issues with my RT are from either parts being poorly manufactured vs. TFT being poorly programmed (yes, because it is electronics, but no, because it's just poorly written software/poorly designed user interface). 

BMW is gizmo oriented no doubt about it and you are welcome to your world of basically useless and frustrating prone to failure and frustrating new Beemers.  Me? I'll pass life is too short.  That said I do enjoy reading about all the trials and tribulations with the newer pride of the Bavarian Motor Works high tech wonders.  All that and no service manual not that one would do much good anyway without the special tools and diagnostic gizmos.

1 minute ago, JamesW said:

BMW is gizmo oriented no doubt about it and you are welcome to your world of basically useless and frustrating prone to failure and frustrating new Beemers.  Me? I'll pass life is too short.

We got it, not sure why you even open up the forums on the new bikes. 

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

We got it, not sure why you even open up the forums on the new bikes. 

lol..lol..  Because it makes me laugh and I guess I'm just bored.  More lol..lol..  Seriously though I really just got to wonder why so many folks just seem to be gluttons for punishment and to top it off shell out zee beeg bucks for frustration and more of same.  All that and no service manual.:4607:

8 minutes ago, JamesW said:

lol..lol..  Because it makes me laugh and I guess I'm just bored.  More lol..lol..  Seriously though I really just got to wonder why so many folks just seem to be gluttons for punishment and to top it off shell out zee beeg bucks for frustration and more of same.  All that and no service manual.:4607:

What's your experience in ownership of a waterhead or shift cam boxer? Or one of the new K bikes? Have you ridden one? I had way more frustration with my 04 RT than all of the newer bikes combined. You draw conclusions that the new bikes are a nothing but punishment based on what, a few random issues on the internet? I think the new bikes are brilliant and for the most part easy to maintain. You are certainly entitled to your opinion it's just a little old reading your comments about how bad the brand is in every thread. Yep, I like the Kool Aid as well....

• Like 5
profbodryak
On 2/3/2024 at 7:25 PM, MikeB60 said:

@profbodryak Sorry about the hijack none of this is helpful with your issue. 

No worries at all! One of the reasons I write updates to my original posts is in hopes that it will help someone one day. But with the warranty on the bike, it's truly the dealer's responsibility to get things right and they are really trying.

• Like 3
On 2/3/2024 at 4:17 PM, MikeB60 said:

What's your experience in ownership of a waterhead or shift cam boxer? Or one of the new K bikes? Have you ridden one? I had way more frustration with my 04 RT than all of the newer bikes combined. You draw conclusions that the new bikes are a nothing but punishment based on what, a few random issues on the internet? I think the new bikes are brilliant and for the most part easy to maintain. You are certainly entitled to your opinion it's just a little old reading your comments about how bad the brand is in every thread. Yep, I like the Kool Aid as well....

I have no experience owning any BMW newer than my long departed '04 R1150RT that I bought new then sold in 2016 when.I found my bullet proof '10 FJR1300A.  In the 12 years I owned it I got extremely good at removing the side covers, very very good for one issue after another.  I began riding BMW bikes when I bought my first in '76 that being a new '77 R75/7 which was followed in '86 with a new K75/C then a couple more airheads used with very low mileage.  These were all very fine motorcycles.  I'm far from the only owner of the marque that is most dissatisfied with the direction taken by BMW motorcycles beginning around 2000 + /- a couple of years.  Today BMW cars and motorcycles are not known for dependability  or reliability when compared to their competition and I think this is sad but don't take my word for it check it out for yourself.  About time Consumer Reports has another look at BMW don't you think?  

52 minutes ago, JamesW said:

I'm far from the only owner of the marque that is most dissatisfied with the direction taken by BMW motorcycles beginning around 2000 + /- a couple of years.  Today BMW cars and motorcycles are not known for dependability  or reliability when compared to their competition and I think this is sad but don't take my word for it check it out for yourself.  About time Consumer Reports has another look at BMW don't you think?  

Well, BMW Motorrad sold 209,000 units last year, a 3 percent increase from 2022 and their highest sales volume ever. They must be doing something right. I'm not talking about their cars this is a motorcycle site and I could care less about their cars. To my first post, we got it, you don't like BMWs, not sure how your comments in most  every thread are helpful especially since you don't know anything about the current line of motorcycles. After all this is a BMW SPORT TOURING website. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
8 hours ago, JamesW said:

Today BMW cars and motorcycles are not known for dependability  or reliability when compared to their competition

On the contrary, BMW is the 9th most reliable brand. That's not too bad out of a 100. 

8 hours ago, JamesW said:

About time Consumer Reports has another look at BMW don't you think?  

But they have, it's their list: https://caredge.com/guides/10-most-reliable-car-brands  Maybe it's time you had a look at your personal bias and check some facts before you post :P

Very few post with "hey, went for a ride today, the bike and all its systems worked fine." If you believe the Internet, everything sucks.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Very few post with "hey, went for a ride today, the bike and all its systems worked fine." If you believe the Internet, everything sucks.

I am going for a ride tomorrow, want to come along? Folks don’t share the ride reports in the section specific for the different models. It is shared in a different section. But James and all the naysayers don’t read that section,  instead they are so miserable pissed at the crappy bike they brought they refuse to read the ride reports of someone enjoying their bikes. 
My New ShiftCam constantly requires me to refill the fuel tank? Anyone have an idea what electronic malfunction is causing this problem? :4322::3:

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, Bernie said:

My New ShiftCam constantly requires me to refill the fuel tank? Anyone have an idea what electronic malfunction is causing this problem? :4322::3:

The twisty thing in your right hand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
46 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Bernie, the electronic malfunction, in your case, is called throttle-by-wire.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Fuel, tires, and brakes.  Money well spent.   Just sayin'

• Like 1

Take me right out and shoot me if I ever own anything with a key fob.  I'm aware that BMW is selling big numbers of these high tech whistle and bell loaded motorbikes but never but never will I ever drink the cool-aide.   Actually to tell the truth at my age (80) I'm not likely to invest in anything that runs on two wheels again for that matter.  Life is short so enjoy your ride whilst you can.:4617:  Uhhh, maybe give thought to buying an extended warranty for your high tech wonders, you might need it.  lol..lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Bernie, the electronic malfunction, in your case, is called throttle-by-wire.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Fuel, tires, and brakes.  Money well spent.   Just sayin'

It’s BMW’s fault, I am sure about it. :4607:

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1

Hey, the new RT wet weight is 615 lbs.  Guess all those whistle and bells are kind of heavy huh?  I mean jeez, that's only 10 pounds less than my 14 year old FJR with its basically unchanged inline 4 since its inception back in about 2001.  Don't get me wrong I'm all for technology that being the kind that runs in the background and makes things like fuel injection and electronic ignition practical.  Much beyond that you can keep your whistles and bells.  Oh, and a factory service manual won't do you much good anyway even if you could buy one so have fun shelling out for preventive maintenance.  Hey, do you still have to check your valve clearance every 6K miles?  Just curious.  One thing I do like about the latest and greatest bikes from der father land is that for what is a reasonable price, only about $1K more than a new FJR,  you can get a new RT without many of the whistles and bells which wouldn't be a bad thing, imo.  Well, that and an extended warranty for peace of mind at least.  We tend to keep our rolling stock for a very long time so that wouldn't work well with many of today's high tech wonders.  Again just my humble opinion for what little it may be worth.    

I say bring back the airhead!  With electronically controlled ignition and fuel injection of course.

MichiganBob

In Michigan, we have Lemon laws. Has it gotten to the point where you want BMW to replace your bike, and can in your state? My 2018 1200RT has needed zero warranty repair. Just saying.

profbodryak

I truly enjoy the bike in spite of the complaints. The motor is amazing. Electronics is what they screwed around with this time around. A cricket in the dashboard may just end up being a windscreen motor issue. They will pull the fairing off and see underneath as well. And the side case is being replaced by the warranty so not really an issue. It is a fact, however, that I've been frequenting the dealer because of all this. 

Bernie, interesting comment about refilling your gas tank. How many miles do you get till the warning light comes on? Freeway or mixed freeway/city? Just curious, because mine fully filled will display a range of about 175 miles. 

• Like 1

I am actually getting better fuel mileage with my 2023 R1250RT then I got with the 2018 R1200RT.  I think the low fuel light appears with 2 bars showing after 220 miles on a full tank. At 250 miles on the tank I can squeeze about 5.6 to 5.8 gallons of gas in the tank. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
profbodryak

They found the cricket this weekend! It was an improperly installed fairing tab. The windscreen motor was also replaced under warranty. Much happier with it since yesterday! 

• Like 3
Joe Frickin' Friday

My central lock isn't exactly crazy, but it ain't right, either.  Today was my first ride since all my mods, and the central lock buttons lock/unlock everything except the left sidecase.  It's unlocked when I remove the case from the bike, but when it's on the bike, it's locked no matter what I do with the button on the right grip or the buttons on the fob.  Even when the right sidecase and the storage compartments are unlocked.  

Did I screw up a wire with my mods???

6 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

If it worked before you pulled the panels off and started to tinker with wiring, then yes. But I don't see why you would get anywhere near the loom containing the central locking solenoids. They stay on the bike and poke a pin out that in turn locks the panniers. 

Alternate possibility would be having the key lock on on that side pannier. That's what your symptoms make it sound like. If you remove the panniers, you need to turn the key to release from the bike which is past the point of cases unlocked by the key. Or some internal component in the case locking system failed.

profbodryak
On 2/25/2024 at 7:04 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

My central lock isn't exactly crazy, but it ain't right, either.  Today was my first ride since all my mods, and the central lock buttons lock/unlock everything except the left sidecase.  It's unlocked when I remove the case from the bike, but when it's on the bike, it's locked no matter what I do with the button on the right grip or the buttons on the fob.  Even when the right sidecase and the storage compartments are unlocked.  

Any chance that it is locked with a key?

Rockosmith
On 2/6/2024 at 8:47 AM, Hosstage said:

No posts like this because it is not news. Kinda like the airplane that didn’t crash or the tornado that didn’t happen. Get out and ride!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
8 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Oh wait, sorry, just re-read your post. Is it seated all the way?

I thought so.  I discovered the problem as I was getting ready for my ride, and then I had the case on/off the bike several times trying to sort it out; presumably it was fully seated at least one of those times (it also didn't fall off during my ride :classic_biggrin:).   I haven't had any time to fiddle with it since then; I'll be tinkering with it this week, hopefully this afternoon.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

it was fully seated at least one of those times

If the case does not sit all the way in, you will not be able to fold the handle back all the way.

Joe Frickin' Friday
32 minutes ago, Hati said:

If the case does not sit all the way in, you will not be able to fold the handle back all the way.

Yep, have seen that happen.  That wasn't my problem yesterday.

I did figure it out today:

The basic way the lock mechanism works is that there's a pin protruding from the case, and when it gets pushed in, the case can't be opened.  Usually it's the central lock system's "finger" that pushes that pin in, but in my case, it was something else:

PXL_20240227_210409181.thumb.jpg.439b84704315a6495ef1695212380ec4.jpg

See that black plastic trim ring around the forward luggage attach point?  Well that trim ring wasn't seated fully.  Here's the view from below:

PXL_20240227_210417728.thumb.jpg.22cd7475f4782d580f9c6c1541987985.jpg

That unseated trim ring was pushing the pin on my sidecase all the time, not just when the central lock system activated.  

Fully seated, the trim ring looks like this:

PXL_20240227_210431434.thumb.jpg.1ae4e247a73b72b1cd342b4006251b73.jpg

and now my sidecase lock works just fine.  

I think I may have fiddled with that trim ring during my wintertime farkelization, when I was debating whether to remove those long painted side panels before taking the fuel tank.  If you've read my farkelization thread, then you know I shoulda done it, but I didn't.  :dopeslap:

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

PXL_20240227_210409181.thumb.jpg.439b84704315a6495ef1695212380ec4.jpg

Hey, are you showing off your chicken strips too?:classic_tongue: J/K. I'm sure they'll be gone in the summer:classic_biggrin:. And glad you could fix your issue. It's hard to remember everything, especially if you waited a while to finish the job.

• Confused 1