IGNORED

Garmin revised units

rounder jim

I got an email from Garmin today asking if I still wanted a revised model. I said yes (I am on my 7th unit now). It directed me to a survey where they asked what country it would be shipped to and for the serial number on the unit.  After i completed that it told me I would be receiving an email in 7 to 14 business days with shipping instructions

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Ron-M said:

Interesting.  I am supposed to be on that list as well.  No email yet.  

Just received my email notice this morning. 

• Like 1

I have to wonder why the survey asks for the country & serial number. My (5th) NAV VI (and like the other four ghosting units preceding it) are/were registered with Garmin. Garmin already knows the serial number by virtue of the current registration. In any event, I just hope they have finally determined and remedied the root cause and that this next iteration stops the insanity of this epic product failure. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my Nav VI bit the dust, again,  The Garmin customer service rep explained to me that BMW has finally manufactured a new Nav VI that is set to be released in January.  He stated that he would include my name to the email list, which I thought I was already on, for notification of the new unit and exchange.  He told me this email notification should occur in the beginning of January, that they were waiting of the new year to begin to send out email notifications for the exchange of units.  I did not bother to inform him that email notifications were already being sent out.  Here's hoping the Nav VI screen problem has been fixed.       

• Like 1

psssst - January is only a few days away.   

Hey Ron, did that Nav VI issue happen before or after the lunch ride in Lyons?   (asking for a friend)

• Smile 1

it happened when I cranked the bike up in my driveway that morning.  I had a two routes all set to go for the ride up and back to Lyons loaded on the Nav VI.  When I started the motorcycle, the Nav VI immediately went crazy.  Took it off the mount, shut it down and started it again, to no avail.  I had to depend on Google maps to get me there and home.  The Nav VI worked great the night before, and then the next morning, crash.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last I heard Garmin has no idea when the "new" revised units will be in stock and ready to ship.   Thankfully I have a Zumo XT as back up but I certainly do not like it as much as the Nav6 .... when the Nav works !! 

• Like 1

Received my email from Garmin yesterday asking me to fill out a survey that consisted of three questions.  Am I still interested in a swap for a new revised unit?  What country do I live in, and the Nav VI serial number.  Once I completed the survey and sent it, it said I would receive further instructions in 7-10 days.  Progress.  

• Like 2

Yep …. The 7-10 day email will tell you how to return your Nav.  Then you get to join us playing the Waiting Game 😁

• Like 1
Rockosmith

Just got off of a chat with Garmin. I sent my Nav VI in on Dec 20, they received it Dec 29.  Yesterday they said my replacement would ship today. Today they say they have 0 in stock and replacements will be available in “a month or two”.  I hear patience is a virtue!

• Like 1

A month or two? That's disappointing.  I am glad I do not require dependency on a navigation unit with the availability of Google maps and other mapping apps on my phone.  

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

I got the survey too. The replacement unit that I have on my bike is a little over 1 year old and working perfectly , so I answered no on the survey, no replacement needed. Of course on yesterday's ride the unit took a dump and I'm back to square one. Murphy at his best.  Garmin is sending another patched up unit until the new new units are available for warranty replacement. Indication was "several months" before that happens. They may be channeling the first units to dealers for new bike sales? Doesn't matter as long as I have something that works.

I’m glad I bought the Zumo XT as a backup but I don’t like it as much as the Nav.  I’ve got the adapter for the BMW mount.

Don Miller

Yesterday evening I received an email from Garmin saying the "new" cap touch replacement head, etc. NavVI shipped yesterday. I am hopeful (for the 5th time) that this one will be "THE FIX"!

• Like 1
Rockosmith

This morning I got the same e-mail saying my replacement shipped.  Just last Thursday Garmin told me a month or two.  Go figure. 

• Like 2

Ditto …. Got the email early this AM (on the road so did not see it until now). 

Yeah Garmin needs to get their act together with folks just a day or 2 ago being told none in stock and no idea on ship date.  This will be replacement #6 so I’m saying a prayer. Using the Zumo is ok but not close to the Nav …. When the Nav works.

Still waiting on my shipping instructions email to send mine back.  Reports please on the new units when you receive them.  :lurk:

Im also on "the list" for about 2 months now. Curiuos to hear how these new units are. I made it clear that I did not want a refurbished one, and will wait for the new/improved unit.  Im actually on my original from 2019.  It has ghosted on me a few times while on trips, but was always able to get her up & going again. All in all has happened about 6-8 times since I've had it. Besides that its been great...But who knows how long that will last.

Amazing that there's a repair company in Germany that has a permanent screen issue fix.....And Garmin hasn't figured it out after all this time.

2 hours ago, brorke said:

Amazing that there's a repair company in Germany that has a permanent screen issue fix.....And Garmin hasn't figured it out after all this time.

Maybe that is the delay? Waiting for the repaired units to be returned from the repair company in Germany to Garmin.

18 hours ago, Bernie said:

Maybe that is the delay? Waiting for the repaired units to be returned from the repair company in Germany to Garmin.

I don't think that's the case. The feedback I've read from people who have sent their units to Germany have been very positive. Feedback on the units "refurbished" from Garmin, not the case.

And the new versions from Garmin (what Im waiting for) supposedly have redesigned screens. I'm assuming redesigned by Garmin..But I guess ya never know!

Crazy how the NAV V's are rock solid and the VI's have so many issues. Hell, I have an old Zumo 350LM that is about 16 years old that still works perfect.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, brorke said:

I don't think that's the case. The feedback I've read from people who have sent their units to Germany have been very positive. Feedback on the units "refurbished" from Garmin, not the case.

And the new versions from Garmin (what Im waiting for) supposedly have redesigned screens. I'm assuming redesigned by Garmin..But I guess ya never know!

Crazy how the NAV V's are rock solid and the VI's have so many issues. Hell, I have an old Zumo 350LM that is about 16 years old that still works perfect.

Not really redesigned.  They switched from a finger pressure touchscreen to a capacitive touchscreen.  Only change they made and it will require special gloves to use the screen when riding.

• Thinking 1
43 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Not really redesigned.  They switched from a finger pressure touchscreen to a capacitive touchscreen.  Only change they made and it will require special gloves to use the screen when riding.

Go Garmin!  I mean, how many people wear gloves while riding a motorcycle?  Shouldn't bother too many riders at all!  :4607: 

Special gloves?  Hmmmmm.  This should be interesting.  Finally received my email notification.  Time to drop the unit off at UPS.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Special gloves?  When previous units worked fine with any type of glove (or without)? I'll definitely ask about that before sending my current unit back. Does the Zumo XT require special gloves?

1 hour ago, brorke said:

Special gloves?  When previous units worked fine with any type of glove (or without)? I'll definitely ask about that before sending my current unit back. Does the Zumo XT require special gloves?

Like I said the new screen is capacitive so it needs an electrical connection when you touch it.  Many modern motorcycle gloves have special tips on the index finger or have metallic string in the index finger to activate a capacitive screen.  Like most phones will not respond to touch if you have regular gloves on as 90% are capacitive touch as well.

The xumo xt is glove friendly, it is a multi touch screen.

Whole thread on advrider where they have confirmed you either need bare fingers or gloves made for capacitive screens.

RandyShields

Some of my gloves don't have fingertips that allow you to use a phone touchscreen, so I purchased a package of these.  They work great.  Just stick them on the thumb and forefinger, and they allow you to manipulate devices without touch screens.

image.thumb.png.45b8c41b8460c505884a26f9728c92ba.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Randy, you beat @Lowndes to posting info about those.  Kudos.

Yup ….. I was thinking of the same product.  But still a PIA and one more thing to deal with.  I still don’t get it ….. the XT has the newest display and works fine with gloves as did the Nav5.  Come on Garmin! 

1 hour ago, Bernie said:

At least we will not need Face ID to activate the GPS in future. :4323:

Shhhhh ….. don’t give them any ideas! 

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Randy - Thanks for the Glove Tacts tip.  I am going to order some.

Ed - I'm with you. Why mess with something that works.  Makes no sense.  

Bernie - Shhh.  Garmin might hear you.  

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

I just saw on advrider that people are getting the new improved units.  First complaint is that the screen will respond to water drops hitting it.  It is not ghosting but water drops are causing it to do random functions.  Wonder if they fixed one thing to create something worse?

Just an update. I received my NAV VI Revised Unit today. From the survey email from Garmin to receiving the replacement it took a total of 38 days . I'm hoping that they finally got things done right on the new units. This is my fifth replacement, #4 didn't even last a full six months. On the positive side at least Garmin is making an attempt to make things right.

4 hours ago, TSConver said:

I just saw on advrider that people are getting the new improved units.  First complaint is that the screen will respond to water drops hitting it.  It is not ghosting but water drops are causing it to do random functions.  Wonder if they fixed one thing to create something worse?

The old Nav6 and the XT both can react to rain drops. You GSA riders ride in the Rain? :4323:

Setting up the new unit inside, it works no different than the old unit.

The software and hardware versions have changed and the user interface is now the same as the newest versions of the NAV6 (Ver2?).

But after 6 replacements, only history will tell if it is true Fix.

Don Miller
On 1/11/2024 at 2:48 PM, brorke said:

Special finger tip gloves are not required on the new version Nav VI. Leather glove finger tips and cloth glove finger tips work just fine. I received the new version today and tried both.

• Like 1
Rockosmith

I received my ‘new and fixed’ Nav VI today. Very disappointed, to say the least. The screen responds inconsistently to touch and it seems to be slower when calculating a route. It corrupted two routes I had archived and refused to even import a third. While trying to get back to the map view it did a hard reset on its own. All the parameters were reset to factory default. Needless to say, it is going back on Monday. 

• Sad 4
On 1/12/2024 at 10:29 PM, Rockosmith said:

I received my ‘new and fixed’ Nav VI today. Very disappointed, to say the least. The screen responds inconsistently to touch and it seems to be slower when calculating a route. It corrupted two routes I had archived and refused to even import a third. While trying to get back to the map view it did a hard reset on its own. All the parameters were reset to factory default. Needless to say, it is going back on Monday. 

Damn...Sorry to hear this. I didn't get the email yet. Was planning on purchasing it (with agreement to credit once I return mine) just to make sure it works OK. I may hang tight for a bit if I do get that email in the near future.

On 1/12/2024 at 3:38 PM, Bernie said:

The old Nav6 and the XT both can react to rain drops. You GSA riders ride in the Rain? :4323:

Setting up the new unit inside, it works no different than the old unit.

The software and hardware versions have changed and the user interface is now the same as the newest versions of the NAV6 (Ver2?).

But after 6 replacements, only history will tell if it is true Fix.

The few times I have had issues, it was mostly during (or just after) a heavy rain.  Each time once I removed unit, cleaned screen and contacts (on unit and mount) it would correct itself.  Original NAV VI from 2019. FWIW, I installed a screen protector from Speedo Angels on day 1

9 minutes ago, brorke said:

Damn...Sorry to hear this. I didn't get the email yet. Was planning on purchasing it (with agreement to credit once I return mine) just to make sure it works OK. I may hang tight for a bit if I do get that email in the near future.

You can't purchase the revised unit BMW no longer sells the nav vi. They have moved onto the bmw connectedride navigator. 

I had installed a screen protector on my first Nav6, but I never installed any screen protectors on the 5 replacement units.

Cleaning the screen with a cotton or microfiber rag most always get the unit to stop ghosting for a little while anyway.

And I know folks think its a temperature thing, but it is not that cold in FL. :)

I have no clue what causes the problems.

3 minutes ago, TSConver said:

You can't purchase the revised unit BMW no longer sells the nav vi. They have moved onto the bmw connectedride navigator. 

I am not sure about that. The replacement unit has a BMW part number and I am certain that means it is available somewhere.

The problem is that the dealers rather have you buy a cradle for your phone and this removes the companies about the GPS from the list of problems with the bikes, that they can't fix or repair.

2024-01-1212_16_05.thumb.jpg.783046e1b42996037b127753af638f08.jpg

9 minutes ago, TSConver said:

I've discussed this with them....When its time to exchange my unit we will work it out

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I had installed a screen protector on my first Nav6, but I never installed any screen protectors on the 5 replacement units.

Cleaning the screen with a cotton or microfiber rag most always get the unit to stop ghosting for a little while anyway.

And I know folks think its a temperature thing, but it is not that cold in FL. :)

I have no clue what causes the problems.

Yes ... I too found that wiping the screen most times resolved the issue at least for a short time. But I did have a few times where I could not get it to stop ghosting.  I have ridden in cold temps (in the 30's and 40's) and hot temps (100+) so the issue seems to not be temperature related. 

Yeah ... I laugh as so many guys have theories on the cause and I keep thinking if Garmin engineers and BMW could not get it fixed to they really think they have a solution that the guys who do this for a living do?  :3:

I would love to know from Garmin and BMW 1) what is the REAL cause of the ghosting and 2) who/where is the fix being done? 

Having recently used the XT on a (car) road trip to NJ for about 1500 miles I do not like it anywhere as much as the Nav and I would really miss the use of the wonder wheel if the XT had to be a long term solution.  Will unbox my NEW and IMPROVED Nav today and get it set up with great optimism :grin:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Yes ... I too found that wiping the screen most times resolved the issue at least for a short time. But I did have a few times where I could not get it to stop ghosting.  I have ridden in cold temps (in the 30's and 40's) and hot temps (100+) so the issue seems to not be temperature related. 

Yeah ... I laugh as so many guys have theories on the cause and I keep thinking if Garmin engineers and BMW could not get it fixed to they really think they have a solution that the guys who do this for a living do?  :3:

I would love to know from Garmin and BMW 1) what is the REAL cause of the ghosting and 2) who/where is the fix being done? 

Having recently used the XT on a (car) road trip to NJ for about 1500 miles I do not like it anywhere as much as the Nav and I would really miss the use of the wonder wheel if the XT had to be a long term solution.  Will unbox my NEW and IMPROVED Nav today and get it set up with great optimism :grin:

Hey Ed!......Apparently these guys figured it out. All positive feedback from what I have read - https://www.gps-station.net/en/repair-bmw-motorrad-navigator-6/