IGNORED

START Planning

TEWKS

10 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

STF033.thumb.jpg.df99ec3f44dd26cd3fab3415402c17c8.jpg

and some scenery

image.thumb.png.ce95ad2e1b821f798b83d27692c6798f.png

Nice, that bottom pic talks to me. :cool: The above, looks like two dogs competing for the same fire hydrant! :spittake: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Nice, that bottom pic talks to me. :cool: The above, looks like two dogs competing for the same fire hydrant! :spittake: 

Ya the black dog was pretty much 97% yard dog (owner was 17 and had his general contractor license), whereas the green dog was a daily driver.

• Like 1
On 11/26/2023 at 5:53 AM, TEWKS said:

Hope I’m not stepping on toes but, I don’t see any place to talk about riding during the April START get together. 

@TSConver I think Hurricane Creek Trail  looks awesome but it might be a little aggressive for the big GS’s. Maybe, I’m just getting old and less bold. :dontknow: Or, could it be becoming wise and trying to avoid my demise. :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.15268b0e42f868c2a712b1aea8a19359.jpeg

Max Patch

Edit

sorry for the stutter, just got called into work. Somebody went home sick.

Max Patch is a nice little hike. 
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e7DI4r_C1ZEpo3QkDkSzIhOg

Buzzards Roost 

A very cool overlook. I plan on simulating a wingsuit jump (using the drone) It’s all about the drone! :D

https://share.icloud.com/photos/023NIaS-1g3zCZlggTz7IOXAw

matt sturgis and I did hurricane creek years and years ago, it is beautiful.  As I recall (on DR 650's) we got stopped by a rather large unscalable boulder with no way around on a steep section. 

• Thanks 1

and FYI, you turn onto hurricane creek road directly off of  the curvey section of I-40 west of maggie valley, it comes off at an acute angle, not in your favor as you are headed west bound, right around mile marker 8 or 9 I believe. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

matt sturgis and I did hurricane creek years and years ago, it is beautiful.  As I recall (on DR 650's) we got stopped by a rather large unscalable boulder with no way around on a steep section. 

4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

and FYI, you turn onto hurricane creek road directly off of  the curvey section of I-40 west of maggie valley, it comes off at an acute angle, not in your favor as you are headed west bound, right around mile marker 8 or 9 I believe. 

Done it in my jeep several times.  I do not remember any big rocks.  It is pretty tame and can be run in 2wd the only real issue is there are a couple of spots with deep ruts and one decent water crossing last time I was there.  About 3 years ago.

I end (the end coming from 40) is definitely easy as it has houses on it.

Forget if it was discussed already but it’s one way off of I 40 right? Meaning you can only enter Hurricane Creek from I 40? I’m feeling rather bold tonight sitting on my warm couch, I might give it a go! :yes: :D

13 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Forget if it was discussed already but it’s one way off of I 40 right? Meaning you can only enter Hurricane Creek from I 40? I’m feeling rather bold tonight sitting on my warm couch, I might give it a go! :yes: :D

Yes you can only enter it or exit from it on the west bound I40 side.  You can run the trail either way though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

A curvy road and food, Trust Your Instinct! :yes:

That's hwy 209, it has now some fancy name, like the humpback of the dragon, or  it's toe nail. I can't remember.

As for food, there are better choices in Hot Springs, then that convent store in Trust.

• Thanks 1

Bernie is correct that you can find better restaurants in Hot Springs, but the Trust General Store restaurant has very good sandwiches, burgers, soups, and salads.  I have eaten lunch there several times and never been disappointed.  Nice patio area for eating outside if its not too hot or cold.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, BMW_Ken said:

Bernie is correct that you can find better restaurants in Hot Springs, but the Trust General Store restaurant has very good sandwiches, burgers, soups, and salads.  I have eaten lunch there several times and never been disappointed.  Nice patio area for eating outside if its not too hot or cold.

Sounds like there have been some changes done to the place. Maybe I need to stop by and check it out.

Thanks Ken for the update.

• Like 1

may have to check it out the next trip too, i don't even remember seeing it but it's been 20 years since i've ridden 209, looking forward to it again but this time in a sportscar. i try not to ever pass up a good burger..

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

may have to check it out the next trip too, i don't even remember seeing it but it's been 20 years since i've ridden 209, looking forward to it again but this time in a sportscar. i try not to ever pass up a good burger..

Daves 209 Diner, just a mile or so north of Trust Store, makes a good burger. Well worth a try.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

A question for the hotel scouts… Is there room at the Best Western for a truck and trailer parked off to the side somewhere, or is the lot tight? Yup, William’s friend again. :dontknow:  :spittake:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, in the back, on the left.  In fact, quite a few tractor trailers park there for overnight accomodations.

Look at google earth photo - it shows long parking spaces along the whole edge of the lot.  A car is in one of them.

*end PSA*

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I discovered a new species today. :5146: “ the walking ratchet strap” I hung them after last year's START and today, they be gone. Home Depot later today I guess. :dontknow:

• Sad 1

I had a pair of those. I removed the straps from my pipe rack and layer them next to my truck while I carried some pipe into my clients store.

By the time I returned to the truck some golfing creature snatched the tie downs. 

I hope this creature hasn't migrated north over the years.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I discovered a new species today. :5146: “ the walking ratchet strap”

No newly discovered species. :classic_mellow: My son took them in December to strap down his Christmas Tree and of course, never returned them. What goes around comes around I guess! :/ I’m all set now to strap down the GS on Friday. WAIT, HOW DID I END UP ON A HARLEY DAVIDSON FORUM??? :rofl: That’s like two for the day. :cool:

Spoiler

If I have to explain… :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
wbw6cos

Does  your black on black on black trailer have the roundel on it?

• Smile 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, TEWKS said:

Sadly no, and it has white rims. :(

But orange stripes?

• Haha 2
Boxflyer

My white and shiny aluminum trailer has a "round thingie"...and some other "BLING"!

i-qPBpJZW-S.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Mine only has the “sticker of shame” :classic_blush: Hey maybe “Blackie’s” has a hotdog sticker! :yes:

image.thumb.jpeg.d0b40324d9372733b36bf0c8a5e75bb7.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Dennis Andress featured this topic
Mitch Triumphant
On 11/27/2023 at 10:08 AM, TEWKS said:

It looks fun but there’s a few sections where I’d be saying WTF am I doing here! :classic_ohmy: On this bike. :spittake:

Usually it’s the guy following you saying “WTF Pat, what did you get us into now”.  Looking forward to the adventure! 

• Haha 2
Mitch Triumphant
On 4/17/2024 at 9:36 PM, TEWKS said:

Mine only has the “sticker of shame” :classic_blush: Hey maybe “Blackie’s” has a hotdog sticker! :yes:

image.thumb.jpeg.d0b40324d9372733b36bf0c8a5e75bb7.jpeg

And sometimes hauling a Triumph Tiger too.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Pat are you left handed?

I know there’s a higher and more sophisticated joke in that question (and I’m a jumping for it) :classic_biggrin: but no I’m right handed. 

Boxflyer

@TEWKS can you find the difference between what's in your trailer and what's in mine???

i-3mSxpBx-XL.jpg             i-MRv3Xct-XL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
roadscholar
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I know there’s a higher and more sophisticated joke in that question (and I’m a jumping for it) :classic_biggrin: but no I’m right handed. 

No, pretty simple, you loaded your bike on the left which means you pushed it in from the right side which is opposite for someone right handed, probably just being considerate of your buddy.  :thumbsup: Although knowing you, you may have just ridden it in and hopped off : )

hint, if you cinch down the rear suspension a little the bike won’t move side to side.

• Like 1
Boxflyer

We’re at check point #1…Blackie’s Hot Dogs in Cheshire, CT. 
We will maintain “section integrity” for the remainder of the drive to START. IMG_9790.thumb.jpeg.838f235ec4e2b4bdb6818ec2b99f5d3d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic

Bernie may have this covered, heck they’re naming roads after him down here. :spittake:IMG_5029.thumb.jpeg.4a1a974c0595bc3dd37dc594c34eef35.jpeg

But a reminder. ;)

IMG_5034.thumb.jpeg.8d9e0c8a83ce255cbb6334250c58b032.jpeg

The road surface is a little sketchy with leftover tree droppings, leaves, limbs that have been cleaned up. About two miles of well maintained dirt at the south end of the road.

Well worth it IMO. :clap:

• Like 4