IGNORED

START Planning

TEWKS

Hope I’m not stepping on toes but, I don’t see any place to talk about riding during the April START get together. 

@TSConver I think Hurricane Creek Trail  looks awesome but it might be a little aggressive for the big GS’s. Maybe, I’m just getting old and less bold. :dontknow: Or, could it be becoming wise and trying to avoid my demise. :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.15268b0e42f868c2a712b1aea8a19359.jpeg

Max Patch

Edit

sorry for the stutter, just got called into work. Somebody went home sick.

Max Patch is a nice little hike. 
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e7DI4r_C1ZEpo3QkDkSzIhOg

Buzzards Roost 

A very cool overlook. I plan on simulating a wingsuit jump (using the drone) It’s all about the drone! :D

https://share.icloud.com/photos/023NIaS-1g3zCZlggTz7IOXAw

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Hope I’m not stepping on toes but, I don’t see any place to talk about riding during the April START get together. 

@TSConver I think Hurricane Creek Trail  looks awesome but it might be a little aggressive for the big GS’s. Maybe, I’m just getting old and less bold. :dontknow: Or, could it be becoming wise and trying to avoid my demise. :spittake:

Max Patch

I better make sure to remove this road from the routes for the RT’s and XR’s bikes. But I think Triumph Tigers wouldn’t have any issues on this goat path. Pat, this road should provide great photo opportunities.

• Haha 1

Don’t worry, I am sure the DOT will have it patched by the time START comes around. This does remind me that I haven’t heard from any of my scouts. Normally the locals will let me know if they find them. 
:4617:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

A few years ago during a Veteran's Day Weekend EOY ride, I was headed (east to west) to Tellico Plains to meet Foot and I did not have a route planned.   Just riding around to see a dam Hiawasse Dam, I started getting behind in time and plugged in Tellico Grains Bakery and the Nav VI decided to route me over Joe Brown Hwy, which was about 16 -17 miles of s**t road, unpaved, during hunting season.   I was the only RT on that stretch as I passed numerous dirt bikes and 4 x 4 trucks/jeeps.  It is worthy to note that I had a balding Dunlop Q3+ on the rear tire.   The path was all leaves and dirt.   A few eleveation climbs with some twisty sections.   I vaguley recall the exact portion, but I went from paved to unpaved all the way to TN68.  If I ever go GS with good tires, I would hit it again.  It maybe pretty tame for you skilled GS riders, but I am sure you can make it fun.  

Your kilometers may vary.   :yes:

Screenshot2023-11-26100417.thumb.jpg.41010e5a05d2fd0be5635530743c3be5.jpg

Screenshot2023-11-26100708.thumb.jpg.a1320abc11e0b8ddc6ffcb0d998b66bd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I have done hurricane creek. It is pretty tame except for a couple spots.  It has water crossings. But people live on the road so it is somewhat maintained.

• Like 1

I've stopped by the Bobarossa for lunch a few times on my day rides.   Picnic tables by the river.  Beautiful setting.  People were friendly.  Not sure I would want to be there at night when things get cranked up.

• Like 2
On 11/26/2023 at 7:53 AM, TEWKS said:

Max Patch

Edit

sorry for the stutter, just got called into work. Somebody went home sick.

Max Patch is a nice little hike. 
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e7DI4r_C1ZEpo3QkDkSzIhOg

Buzzards Roost 

A very cool overlook. I plan on simulating a wingsuit jump (using the drone) It’s all about the drone! :D

https://share.icloud.com/photos/023NIaS-1g3zCZlggTz7IOXAw

At 10:37, you see the need for lockers.  That right rear spins, while the left rear does nothing.  I'd bet the front is doing the same........this is the "misonception" of a 4WD as actual four wheel drive, and that'd be a nope for most.  A typical 4WD is only 2WD, one in the front and one in the rear.  The key is differential lockers, which will send power to both wheels equally.  And don't give me that electronic traction control or limited slip BS,....both useless on a real trail,......and from the looks of this trail, the wetness gives to the slight difficulty, but still, not difficult for a stock 4WD.  In the dry, I'd take the Subaru Outback on the thing as it really doesn't look that hard at all.  Back in my rockcrawl days, we'd call that a "access road"

Bikes, I'd say same thing wet vs dry, but I'm not experienced enough off-road on the bikes to say so.  The wet makes it harder, but if it's dry, it's nothing more than a bunny trail.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

A few years ago during a Veteran's Day Weekend EOY ride, I was headed (east to west) to Tellico Plains to meet Foot and I did not have a route planned.   Just riding around to see a dam Hiawasse Dam, I started getting behind in time and plugged in Tellico Grains Bakery and the Nav VI decided to route me over Joe Brown Hwy, which was about 16 -17 miles of s**t road, unpaved, during hunting season.   I was the only RT on that stretch as I passed numerous dirt bikes and 4 x 4 trucks/jeeps.  It is worthy to note that I had a balding Dunlop Q3+ on the rear tire.   The path was all leaves and dirt.   A few eleveation climbs with some twisty sections.   I vaguley recall the exact portion, but I went from paved to unpaved all the way to TN68.  If I ever go GS with good tires, I would hit it again.  It maybe pretty tame for you skilled GS riders, but I am sure you can make it fun.  

If memory is correct, that is what used to be Trail 1 of the Tellico OHV Area.  Trail 1 was the most dangerous trail as people drove waaaay to fast.  I knew a couple of folks that flopped and rolled off of trail one due to having to skirt the edge as some asshat came flying around a blind turn.   Alas, Tellico OHV is now closed due to environmentalist 

27 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

At 10:37, you see the need for lockers.  That right rear spins, while the left rear does nothing.  I'd bet the front is doing the same........this is the "misonception" of a 4WD as actual four wheel drive, and that'd be a nope for most.  A typical 4WD is only 2WD, one in the front and one in the rear.  The key is differential lockers, which will send power to both wheels equally.  And don't give me that electronic traction control or limited slip BS,....both useless on a real trail,......and from the looks of this trail, the wetness gives to the slight difficulty, but still, not difficult for a stock 4WD.  In the dry, I'd take the Subaru Outback on the thing as it really doesn't look that hard at all.  Back in my rockcrawl days, we'd call that a "access road"

Bikes, I'd say same thing wet vs dry, but I'm not experienced enough off-road on the bikes to say so.  The wet makes it harder, but if it's dry, it's nothing more than a bunny trail.

Funny, I’m right now sitting on the computer deciding how to incorporate that into the fire tower route. Like I mentioned earlier, a few spots looked rather challenging especially on a big bike. IDK which means it should be bypassed :/ but I’m gonna think about it a bit more. 

23 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Lotta cemeteries on that road.....:5146:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

It looks fun but there’s a few sections where I’d be saying WTF am I doing here! :classic_ohmy: On this bike. :spittake:

Get off and walk it through.  I'm vertically challenged, so it'd be on the slightly difficult end of the spectrum for me on some of the rockier parts.

• Like 1
  • Indy Dave pinned and unpinned this topic

If you don’t get called out to sea, :read: There’s a couple nice routes that are novice adventure rider friendly if interested. :18: Open invite BTW. 

• Smile 1

Annie’s Pork-n-Beans sounds like a place I’d like to check out. :eat: It’s on the Fire Tower route I’m working on and it looks like it’d be right around lunchtime when getting to that point in the loop. Says temporarily closed, I think, and hope it’s just a seasonal thing. :dontknow:

On 11/26/2023 at 7:53 AM, TEWKS said:

I think Hurricane Creek Trail  looks awesome but it might be a little aggressive for the big GS’s. Maybe, I’m just getting old and less bold. :dontknow: Or, could it be becoming wise and trying to avoid my demise. :spittake:

pretty good descriptor of hurricane creek, of course it'll be different on a bike than in a jeep.

https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad/trails/us/north-carolina/hurricane-creek

11 hours ago, Rougarou said:

If memory is correct, that is what used to be Trail 1 of the Tellico OHV Area.  Trail 1 was the most dangerous trail as people drove waaaay to fast.

i think the road william referred to is joe brown highway, it's a partially paved road between murphy and tenn 68 and a shortcut to tellico plains. the dirt section is easily rideable on a gs.

pat, don't remember if i sent you this before but here's a fun (and scenic) adv loop you guys can do on big bikes. i'm going to describe it because google maps and mapsource aren't playing well, you'll be able draw it up yourself. the name/places are from google maps.

from us l9 a couple miles east of cherokee, turn north on jenkins creek rd (409) then after a ways veer right down the hill on jenkins crk east fork, there will be a small water crossing. then right on hyatt cove rd and then left up the hill on 434 which goes under the parkway then becomes mollies gap rd. at the stop sign turn right on balsam campground rd (paved but a great road). at the end veer right past the rangers house and take heintooga rd., it's about a l4 mile one way hard pack single lane dirt rd into smoky mtn nat park, one of very few into the park and quite scenic, def worth the ride if you haven't done it. after the famous bridge (where danny rode the big gs across the rocky river bottom instead : ) it becomes paved again after a bit. turn left on big cove road then another left on bunches creek road, it runs thru a campground (stop and get an ice cream at the store if it's open) then continue back up to the parkway. i can add a good bit more on the front end if you want to make it a longer ride. 

sometimes in early spring heintooga rd is still closed because the forest service hasn't been in to clean up the winter tree fall yet but it's easy to ride around the gate and i've (we've) done it several times, on one occasion a few big branches were easy to move out of the way. the 4 or 5 times i've done it i've never seen another car or bike and it's really worth doing. 

ps, there are some fun water bars (gradual, further apart whoops) on jenkins creek east fork and mollies gap you can get some air on if you're going fast enough : )

• Thanks 1

sounds good, i'll see if i can draw up another section from near franklin that can tie into it if you want to make a full day of it. whenever we did that ride we usually ate lunch at granny's kitchen in cherokee, good home cookin buffet.

• Like 1

here's another section you can add from the south if you want pat, for some reason google maps wouldn't let me draw in anything past the parkway but was able to get the jenkins creek stuff up to it. when you get to us l9 you'll have to backtrack a half mile or so if you want to eat at granny's kitchen.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1aBvpq-dqQiDJYbbeK_3TkpFTE0Th-zs&usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

It’s not allowing me to see the map right now, I’ll give it a shot tomorrow on the computer. :dontknow: Appreciate you taking the time Bill! :thumbsup:

my fault, i didn't open up the link, try it again. if you want to make a really full day of it take 209 from hot springs to canton then 2l5 up to the parkway and the parkway to 74 to 23/44l then right on sanderstown rd to 28 to cowee school and pick it up from there.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, roadscholar said:

i think the road william referred to is joe brown highway, it's a partially paved road between murphy and tenn 68 and a shortcut to tellico plains. the dirt section is easily rideable on a gs.

ya, Trail 1 is partially paved but turns to gravel, it was simply named Trai1 because it is the connector/access to all the real trails.  Trail one crosses the NC/TN line as well.  

Anyway, it's been over twenty years since I was in that OHV area and I do remember traveling Joe Brown hwy a bit.  

This looks kinda cool! :cool: Not very far from Newport, I called to get some details but only got an answering machine. I’ll post later if I get someone on the phone. 

Smoky Mountain Adventure Tours

EDIT

Just made contact. Wee bit expensive but then again I’m cheap frugal. :spittake: 2.5 hour tour. Two people in a buggy is $286 total tax and insurance included. Put four people in one UTV and it bumps to $400. They have six rentals, all 4 seaters. This is a guided tour so probably not too much hotdogging. :revit: They recommend booking in March for an April outing.

those are starbucks water crossings : ) shallow underwater concrete bridges, there's about l8 of them. glad to see it's open again, when my buddies and i did it we had to make little ramps and lift our bikes around the gate onto the bridge, after traveling that far we weren't about to be denied. the worst part is the traffic jam in cades cove to get there. 

• Haha 1

Lots (all) talk of rides for GS/GSA folks. What about us RT folks? Are we just cast-offs? :3:

I don't know the area but started looking at some options that stay on pavement. What length rides do most people do (distance and/or time)? A trip to The Tail of the Dragon is about 5.5 hours butt-in-seat time round trip (not sure how busy it will be during our window). Doing a small stretch of the BRP in NC and back is about 5 hours butt-in-seat time. I'm sure there are many others. I looked at a couple shorter rides too, but all without knowing the area and roads so I might just be throwing a dart at a dart board. I'm happy to help look at options if there isn't already a list of rides created.

5 minutes ago, Stresspuppy said:

Lots (all) talk of rides for GS/GSA folks. What about us RT folks? Are we just cast-offs? :3:

I don't know the area but started looking at some options that stay on pavement. What length rides do most people do (distance and/or time)? A trip to The Tail of the Dragon is about 5.5 hours butt-in-seat time round trip (not sure how busy it will be during our window). Doing a small stretch of the BRP in NC and back is about 5 hours butt-in-seat time. I'm sure there are many others. I looked at a couple shorter rides too, but all without knowing the area and roads so I might just be throwing a dart at a dart board. I'm happy to help look at options if there isn't already a list of rides created.

Bernie will have a bunch of routes for the road guys.  Usually about a month out he posts them to the main thread.  This is for us crazy guys who look for dirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, TSConver said:

Bernie will have a bunch of routes for the road guys.  Usually about a month out he posts them to the main thread.  This is for us crazy guys who look for dirt.

Yeah, a different breed for sure. :classic_biggrin: 

I'll keep an eye out for stuff from Bernie. And learn some patience. 5 months out is probably a little early to be worrying about this for asphalt warriors.

• Like 1

One day while out riding the K1200S I did happen to see a small patch of gravel that had been thrown up onto the tarmac, but luckily I was able to avoid it, LOL  :4322:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Stresspuppy said:

Tail of the Dragon is about 5.5 hours butt-in-seat time round trip (not sure how busy it will be during our window). 

I know this is the internet and all but keep this one quiet. :spittake: This route 32 is about fifteen miles from Newport and IMO, and according to my “smile meter” it’s as good if not better than the dragon. No crowds. If you haven’t been to the Dragon though, it’s worth the experience. I mapped out one route (not direct) to the dragon and it was about 380 miles round trip. 

image.jpeg.897888b0f0b403c87f962d564a9ac7ec.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I know this is the internet and all but keep this one quiet. :spittake: This route 32 is about fifteen miles from Newport and IMO, and according to my “smile meter” it’s as good if not better than the dragon. No crowds. If you haven’t been to the Dragon though, it’s worth the experience. I mapped out one route (not direct) to the dragon and it was about 380 miles round trip. 

image.jpeg.897888b0f0b403c87f962d564a9ac7ec.jpeg

Great road @TEWKS, but it does turn dirt at the NC border. But there is a nice turnaround spot, and it got repaved a few years ago. Also most of it has no guardrails. :)

• Like 1

North of I-40 on the TN side are a few interesting paved roads, like Bull Mountain Road. A nice road for GS’s to catch RT’s. :3:
Just don’t slow down and listen for the fiddles. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Great road @TEWKS, but it does turn dirt at the NC border.

perfect, that's why there's no traffic on it. plus there's a couple dirt roads that are parallel so you could make a loop out of it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

perfect, that's why there's no traffic on it. plus there's a couple dirt roads that are parallel so you could make a loop out of it.

Oh, there is traffic, just off a different kind. You may run into a flock of turkey's or a few hickers out for a walk in the middle of the road. And then there's the old truck that is rolling along while counting the acorns on the edge of the pavement. But it is a fun little road, especially after it was repaved a few years ago.

• Like 1

why you don't want to go during prime time on a weekend. on weekdays your odds increase significantly of not meeting a retarded jackass like that. if you have to go on a weekend make it early or late. i prefer late but that's just me, it's when the pros are out, they're flying but know what they're doing and seldom make a mistake. 

• Like 1

Great road @TEWKS, but it does turn dirt at the NC border. But there is a nice turnaround spot, and it got repaved a few years ago. Also most of it has no guardrails. :)

Yes it does turn to dirt, but i rode it on my old R1100RT.  so long as it is dry it is serviceable.  Otherwise, even if you turn around it is a great road, and I always try to include that road when I am in the area.

• Like 2

so on Friday 4/26 myself and Uncle Tommy will be heading down to the Wheels Through Time Museum.  Leave Newport around 9am, I have a short 2-hour 80 mile mostly BRP ride into Maggie Valley, arrive around 11am, probably spend 2.5 - 3 hours in the museum then eat lunch in Maggie Valley, then a similar style 80-mile ride back to Newport for Friday night group dinner.

Of course, anyone is welcome to join us.  Just for reference, my Uncle Tommy could be a guide for the Museum.  He knows that much about a lot of the bikes in the shop.  It is a hoot to get him and one of the actual guides talking :-) 

Last time after about 2 hours and they were still going, with a crowd of 3 other tourist, I just went and sat out in the lobby :-)

Should be a fun day.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

just a heads up for anyone traveling to/from newport from the south and route planners, @Bernie et al. should be mostly finished by april '24 but may still have some lingering effects. interstate 40 thru there is a struggle on a good day, or a somewhat fun/challenging play race depending on what you're driving/riding and your perspective. regardless, it's one of the more daunting stretches of interstate maybe outside i-70 thru glenwood canyon and they were forced to modify that.

ncdot has projected wait times but i'm skeptical, it could be a real zoo. they also list an alternative as i-26 to kingsport then i-8l to knoxville and figure it adds 45 minutes which assumes 50% the traffic doesn't detour that way.

i'd bet a lot of drivers and truckers will look at their gps and opt for us25/us70 thru hot springs, del rio, and newport (mostly two lane and lots of curves) and mainly why i'm posting it so the route planners are aware and can work around if need be. 

there is another alternative but the rt crowd probably doesn't want to hear about it except maybe @Indy Dave and co. : )  max patch road goes over the top and about the middle l5 miles or so are dirt but when i rode it about 20 years ago was in good shape, hard packed and would be easy on a touring bike, regular cars and minivans travel it. i think @TEWKS has done it more recently and should have a better assessment.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-10-28-major-I-40-bridge-project-haywood-county.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Windrock is a great offroad park but is more suited to jeeps.  It is more rock climbing.

There's over 70k acres of area.  There's bunny trails to most difficult.  Everything from ATVs, bikes, SXSs and full sized rigs can hit those trails.  

Yes, your upper echelon trails are more geared toward the rock crawl world, but there's plenty of the bunny trails that adventure bikes can likely hit or try.

The last time I was there was 2004.  Bent the drag link on the Jeep on Rattle Rock, went back down to the camp site with the front wheels both facing in.  Took the drag bar off, bent it back to "close enough" and went back on the trails.  The good ole days.

Here's me on RattleRock before the drag link bend

image.thumb.png.2d8fff0a49e2523083cbfdf9042848f6.png

after

STF026.thumb.jpg.91b6894fdfe4bdceca82303e692eff79.jpg

after after (notice how clean one side of the link looks and no damper)

STF033.thumb.jpg.df99ec3f44dd26cd3fab3415402c17c8.jpg

and some scenery

image.thumb.png.ce95ad2e1b821f798b83d27692c6798f.png

• Like 1