IGNORED

Making the bike Mine!

Bernie

On 10/25/2023 at 4:20 PM, Bernie said:

Well, @strataj, I am having the same problem using the iPhone app and the Cardo Edge head set. Once I have the Edge paired and connected to the BMW TFT. The Edge will not connect to my iPhone, so the V1 App is useless. The Edge actually deletes the previous phone pairing.

So as a experiment, I have mounted a set of speakers in the helmet. These will wire straight to the V1 unit. I use ear plug speakers for my Cardo Edge unit.

Besides the problem of having to deal with a speaker wire, I hope that the speakers can overcome the sound of the ear plug speakers and let me hear the alerts from the V1. Hopefully I can give it a test run this weekend.

Bernie, I know you'd find a way.  I'll keep you posted if I come up with other solutions...

• Like 1
On 10/25/2023 at 4:20 PM, Bernie said:

Well, @strataj, I am having the same problem using the iPhone app and the Cardo Edge head set. Once I have the Edge paired and connected to the BMW TFT. The Edge will not connect to my iPhone, so the V1 App is useless. The Edge actually deletes the previous phone pairing.

So as a experiment, I have mounted a set of speakers in the helmet. These will wire straight to the V1 unit. I use ear plug speakers for my Cardo Edge unit.

Besides the problem of having to deal with a speaker wire, I hope that the speakers can overcome the sound of the ear plug speakers and let me hear the alerts from the V1. Hopefully I can give it a test run this weekend.

I thought of this but haven't tried a Bluetooth dongle.

like this  easy to send to your Cardo.

• 2 weeks later...

After collecting  several hundred bugs on my recent 1075 mile ride to and from Alabama, I decided it was time to clean the bike and give it a little wax. I figured the wax may help with the bug collection on my ride to SECFF on Nov 18.

• Like 7

Update on the radar detector mounting and the experiment with the alert sounds.

1. Mounting a set of speakers in the helmet and using them for the radar detector, while using ear plug speakers for the Cardo Edge intercom (or any Bluetooth intercom) and the direction/music from the TFT works OK. You just have to adjust the volume of the radar detector to max, to over come the sound of the ear plug speakers while playing radio. The negative part is the room the speakers require, is painful to the ears. But there is room in the helmet to fix that. The other problem is the cable to the radar detector.

2. Setup: Tried to pair the Sena SM10 (BlueTooth Dongle) to the Cardo, while also having a connection to the TFT.

This setup should have worked, except I forgot that I already had my main phone paired to the Cardo and the TFT (second phone pairing) paired up and it just ignored the SM-10 connection.

3. Setup: I found some Autocom speaker filter boxes. They allow you to merge to sound from 2 devices into 1 output. I connected the audio from the Cardo Edge and the radar detector into the box and then ran a cable to my ear plug speakers. That worked very well for a 1000 miles. I did have some noise from the bike powered radar detector. The biggest problem is how to handle all these wires, when stopping for gas or food. But it worked as a temporary solution.

4. Keep working at it. :4317:

12 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I'll drop both of mine off to you, neither have been washed since 2019

No problem, I charge by the hour. :3:

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Bernie said:

No problem, I charge by the hour. :3:

Uh,.....nevermind,....I'll wait for the next rain to give them a rinse off.:18:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

After collecting  several hundred bugs on my recent 1075 mile ride to and from Alabama, I decided it was time to clean the bike and give it a little wax. I figured the wax may help with the bug collection on my ride to SECFF on Nov 18.

That sure looks purdy!!

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
20 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

No hiding in that paint job! :spittake: :thumbsup:

Yeah .... Black looks absolutely spectacular .... for about 10 minutes.  I am way too OCD to ever own a black anything.   But lord they look good when cleaned up. 

• Like 3
On 11/10/2023 at 4:17 PM, Bernie said:

That sure looks beautiful, Bernie! I don't see that nav yet though! 😁

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, profbodryak said:

That sure looks beautiful, Bernie! I don't see that nav yet though! 😁

The Nav6 is still in a box, I haven’t had time to start with the installation. I haven’t had any unexpected problems navigating my routes using the BMW Connected phone app and the TFT display. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider
On 10/16/2023 at 8:47 AM, Bernie said:

Well the Stitch is in the wash and may have to be retired soon. But the force is strong!

How long have you gotten out of Big Bird Junior?  Mine was 17 years old when it headed to the closet for the last time.  Though, I have to admit the last 2 years I limped it home by using the cheapest Klim jacket I could find. 

This is my second RoadCrafter suit. The first one was bought in 2000 and used for 220k miles. The current one bought in 2012 I think and has been used for 160k miles maybe. It’s okay, except for some Velcro failures. I don’t like the zippers on the knees against the tank. 
I ordered a Klim Badlands suit. Maybe it will replace my Stitch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I transplanted my Clearwater Billie taillight frame from my 2018 to 2023 RT. I have been getting to many complains from fellow riders, not being able to see my brake light. I also wired up a relay to power my Valentine V1 and a dual USB power supply, which is located under the driver seat. I could not finish the project due to mean mosquitos trying to eat me. I will most likely finish the connections to the battery tomorrow. 

IMG_9071.thumb.jpeg.b33efbbb3a7883e00bd087dac7f37fe2.jpeg

IMG_9076.thumb.jpeg.71b5efb39cd303c35cef6e556b3b8036.jpegIMG_9077.thumb.jpeg.62ecbd7a5d71ff2eda501c2329386360.jpegIMG_9075.thumb.jpeg.130c4d604234671d5743cc4562cf84b6.jpeg

• Like 6
14 minutes ago, DBULL said:

Billy lights are the best there is

Which is exactly why I have them on my RT.   After chasing Bernie, a time or two, they are really bright.  Of course, I was really far away from him trying to catch up, and they are still really bright.  :classic_biggrin:

Great wiring job Bernie, but as an aside, the paint job above that Billie Jr. needs some cleaning up.   Just sayin'   :burnout:

• Smile 2

I have been very happy with the simplicity of my Hyper-Lights on the back of my current GS and RT.  (also had them on my prior 2 bikes)   They do just what I want ... added running light and flashing tail light.  I am not a fan of the decelerometer as I rode behind a buddy with Admore lighting and the decelerometer was always going off.   That being said my next bike I will probably go with the Billie Jr. just to keep it all Clearwater.  Their products are some of the best available and they have great service. 

I went with Denali for the RT. While their lights aren't as elegant as Clearwater they are brighter and their brake light is almost a direct copy of the Billie. Their cansmart system is brilliant, programable, and gives you two additional circuits that I'll use to provide power to my V1 and Zumo. Now all I need to do is connect everything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

I went with Denali for the RT. While their lights aren't as elegant as Clearwater they are brighter and their brake light is almost a direct copy of the Billie. Their cansmart system is brilliant, programable, and gives you two additional circuits that I'll use to provide power to my V1 and Zumo. Now all I need to do is connect everything!

I ran Denali D2's on my 2012 GSA and they worked great.  I do prefer the Darlas as they seem to be better noticed and I love the easily removed Clearwater covers that allow for a yellow lens.  I know Denali has amber lenses you can install but the nice thing about the Clearwater design is they are easily removed for cleaning,  the lens is easily and cheaply (many times free) replaced when they get old.   You really can't go wrong with either Denali or Clearwater products.   My dealer has a good relationship with Clearwater and always gives me a great deal on their products.  Both are top notch and I'd use either again. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RTinNC said:

That being said my next bike I will probably go with the Billie Jr. just to keep it all Clearwater.  Their products are some of the best available and they have great service. 

Just added the Billie light to my RT.  They work well with either D3s or Hyper lights.  Install was very quick.  There are 4 programmable functions; you don't have to use a decelerometer if you don't want to.

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider
13 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Just added the Billie light to my RT.  They work well with either D3s or Hyper lights.  Install was very quick.  There are 4 programmable functions; you don't have to use a decelerometer if you don't want to.

Randy, 

That should work on my GSA just fine because I already have the Clearwaters, correct? But for the RT I would have to buy the Canopener?  So $500 for 2 bikes with tax and shipping if that's correct. 

9 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

That should work on my GSA just fine because I already have the Clearwaters, correct? But for the RT I would have to buy the Canopener?  So $500 for 2 bikes with tax and shipping if that's correct. 

Correct.  After mounting the Billie, you just need to run a wire up under the fender and back seat, where it plugs into the existing Canopener on the GS.  The Billie is $150, but you could opt for the Billie Jr, which does not have the frame, for $130 (I like the light with the frame.)   If you don't have a Canopener on the RT, you would need to add one.

BillieonRT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I like the decelerating lights, if for nothing else than to annoy who is following. 

Bernie?  Purposely being annoying?..... Noooooooooooooo! :3:

• Haha 3

On the newer RT’s it plugs into a capped connector label TPS, but they don’t have a separate TPS module anymore. The instructions call for you to undo the cap and install it on the unused end of the can opener. This may only apply for RT’s with TFT dashboards. 
IMG_9069.thumb.jpeg.1d7d046c633793692c621bb75c69d097.jpeg

Edited by Bernie
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I like the decelerating lights, if for nothing else than to annoy who is following. 

Agreed .... the decelerating lights are truly ANNOYING! 

• Smile 1
35 minutes ago, terryofperry said:

@Bernie has a decel mode????  Must only come on for good coffee stops. :rofl:

Terry

Fixed it for you, Terry.

:grin:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, terryofperry said:

@Bernie has a decel mode????  Must only come on for coffee stops. :rofl:

Terry

I recent that remark. Of course I brake for coffee and food.

:4322:

• Like 2
On 12/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, Bernie said:

On the newer RT’s it plugs into a capped connector label TPS, but they don’t have a separate TPS module anymore.

May I ask what is that module? TPS only stands for Throttle Position Sensor, but I'm sure it's something else. On my bike, there's a  connector for the alarm, but don't think it's labeled as such. Just curious. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, JCtx said:

May I ask what is that module? TPS only stands for Throttle Position Sensor, but I'm sure it's something else. On my bike, there's a  connector for the alarm, but don't think it's labeled as such. Just curious. Thanks.

You are correct, I guess I should have clarified that the wire is for the Tire Pressure Sensor or maybe it is a TPMS? Anyway the connection is different for different model BMW. Check with Clearwater LED, they have extensive manuals and instructions for all the different models.