IGNORED

Making the bike Mine!

Bernie

Some of the original post didn't make it into the post:

I installed a reflective kit (#18) today on my new RT from MotoReflective.com. This was the fourth kit of reflective stickers I have installed on my 4 RT's. It has proven to be very durable and simple to maintain.

It blends in nicely with the black saddle bags.IMG_8552.thumb.jpeg.21f1db349ed404fb46d1c48f79beab0e.jpegIMG_8553.thumb.jpeg.e2f8d71ecb610359eb1b4b60c5189d03.jpegIMG_8554.thumb.jpeg.afe97598797dd3aad390e5902b895dd9.jpeg

But really lights up when lights shine on it. IMG_8559.thumb.jpeg.6bd9dfd629ad558bb50ed09e3ad203d2.jpegIMG_8560.thumb.jpeg.31add8ab49d9169d38813d4e0f1149a7.jpegIMG_8557.thumb.jpeg.ee69b1ee05df428ee435d679e20aebc5.jpegIMG_8558.thumb.jpeg.75c4c32de93eda8e49e74bb4e262d99e.jpeg

PS: MotoReflective.com is owned by one of our longtime members and they have kits for all kinds of bikes.

Edited by Bernie
Some items didn't make the first post.
  • Like 12
  • Plus 1 1

I also installed my handle bar mirrors from my 2018 RT. I had to order a different handle bar clamp for the clutch side, since the 2023 R1250RT has a switch for the driving lights incorporated into the clutch handle bar clamp.

I used BMW part#32728534366 for the clutch side and reused the clamp I had from the old RT.

I have also been using mirror extenders from SW-Motech to spread the mirrors out to prevent the mirrors from touching the windshield when in the low position and also to keep the mirrors from blocking the view of the factory mirrors.

here are a few pictures.

IMG_8496.thumb.jpeg.b638e57aae3e707f5a3133b2372fded9.jpegIMG_8494.thumb.jpeg.4eef685052719c14bc691730b570d2da.jpegIMG_8500.thumb.jpeg.01d474ff7b8c86bd86a2465f30586d50.jpegIMG_8502.thumb.jpeg.ae68447195520375ec206e0be4dc2771.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

Since I can’t go riding, as I am waiting for my appointment for my 600 miles service. I am at 565 miles and 130 miles north of my dealer. I decided to install the tank pad kit I bought from Wunderlich, made by CSS. It was a simple installation and hopefully it will keep my Stitch from scratching the tank, when I squeeze it in exciting situations. :4315:

Here are a few pictures, at least they are blending in nicely, almost like they are a factory option. (Don’t give the mothership any ideas)

IMG_8547.thumb.jpeg.74d890ec9133baad41ff431d7091ea58.jpegIMG_8543.thumb.jpeg.b12f88a3bbc63f4e8ef59b938720446d.jpegIMG_8548.thumb.jpeg.5be51ce7b7053da87c20a6ac66da8165.jpegIMG_8541.thumb.jpeg.f21a34d993fb1929fce3be7eb0e9309f.jpeg

• Like 11

Oh yes, I also installed a fender extender from Machineart Moto and their X-Head 1250 valve cover kit.

My Ma-Mo fender extender form my 2018 RT doesn’t fit the new 2023R1250RT (too long).

Installation was simple and quick and blends in nicely with the bike.

IMG_8491.thumb.jpeg.ffe8722cf9e6fa399c058d0b3ca3c4d5.jpegIMG_8488.thumb.jpeg.39fc1cdb319f589321d9db12201f6592.jpegIMG_8517.thumb.jpeg.a50440fb63fdb481fe24b697efbf7912.jpegIMG_8516.thumb.jpeg.c42107633b3f5acbbfb27d2cbe86ba5d.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Plus 1 1

So next up, was the head light. For my 2018, I used a head light protector kit from AeroFlow. But this time I followed a recommendation from a friend and ordered a kit from Lamin-x.

It included all the tools required and also included covers for the turn signals. The installation was not a easy task, since the head light shape is not a simple, flat surface. It will take a few days of drying and curing, before I can decide if it was a success. But one thing I like already, dirt and dead bugs will not get between the head light and the protector.

IMG_8544.thumb.jpeg.81f458bb7bd391a12cc0f3289d2caff2.jpegIMG_8549.thumb.jpeg.ac30ab0ba0474243ca2cbd2fbef57067.jpegIMG_8550.thumb.jpeg.ea6fdb4f1baa7893e996fc6da4e910b6.jpegIMG_8551.thumb.jpeg.dbbe1d59f093c351e526196dd8b0b57a.jpeg

• Like 7

Any tips or tricks to installing the motorefective and lamin-x stuff?  I have them but haven't installed, I'm always worried about bubbles when I put on stuff like that...

Well, I don’t have any special tricks. The MotoReflective stuff is pretty easy. Follow the directions and you be ok. I done it with the dry method the last few times. Also make sure it is not too cold. If not warm up the surface a little with a hair dryer.

As for the Lamin-X stuff, it has been my first time using it. The new style headlight on the new TFT ShiftCam bike is a little complicated, as there are almost no flat surfaces, plus lots of corners. I will know in a few days how badly I screwed up. But their also follow the directions and don’t use too much water. 

Sometimes you just have to go out on the edge and live a little dangerous, that is what motorcycling is all about, as long as you wear your ATGATT. And take your time, don’t rush it.

• Like 1

We really won't know it's yours until we see a yellow stich laying across it,........kinda like the stich claiming the bike:18:

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

We really won't know it's yours until we see a yellow stich laying across it,........kinda like the stich claiming the bike:18:

Well the Stitch is in the wash and may have to be retired soon. But the force is strong!

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 2
48 minutes ago, Ron-M said:

Hey Bernie,

I know you have not had the bike long, but, analog to TFT.  Any thoughts yet?

Ron

Well Ron, I don’t know yet, the app is a little strange for me to work with, but I will give it a good try.

The display doesn’t show engine temperature any longer on the main screen, and you have to dive into the sub menus. But that is the only thing that confused me a little. When the WiFi is connected, I can display the map in half the screen and the directions for a route come through the headset, regardless if the WiFi (Map Display) is connected or not. 

But I think I will install my old Nav6, when it returns from vacation at Garmin form its 7th visit. The difference for me is that on the Nav6, I can display the tracks for multiple routes at the same time and change routes on the fly, with the CA App, I have to stop, take of my gloves, pull out the phone, select the route I want to use, reinsert the phone in the box and clamp it down and then put on my gloves, restart the bike and get on my way. I know it sounds a little trouble some, but it is a new system to learn and get used too. And as we all know, us humans don’t like change. :18:

Also, I haven’t figured out how to be able to watch YouTube videos. But I guess that will be the next evolution?

• Haha 1

Bernie, I like the choices you have made, looking good!  Please let us know how you integrate the V1.  I like an audio signal, since I don't have a Sena SM10 on my 22R1250RT like I had on my 14R1200RT the only way I've found to Bluetooth is via the Valentine phone app to my SC2 (Sena version for Schubrerth C5) but the BMW Motorrad App won't let it work.  Hope you fine a solution... 

5 minutes ago, strataj said:

Bernie, I like the choices you have made, looking good!  Please let us know how you integrate the V1.  I like an audio signal, since I don't have a Sena SM10 on my 22R1250RT like I had on my 14R1200RT the only way I've found to Bluetooth is via the Valentine phone app to my SC2 (Sena version for Schubrerth C5) but the BMW Motorrad App won't let it work.  Hope you fine a solution... 

Well, that is going to be a difficult one. If I can’t figure out how to get the phone app for the V1 do work together with the CA App, I guess I will install a  MotoChello speaker bridge again and splice the 2 signals into my Sena SM-10.

But I hope there will be another way to do this, since I may also install my Nav6 GPS and I would like optional voice directions from it. The Nav6 will only be able to send a Bluetooth signal, so it will require some trials and disappointments. 

I did find out that my Cardo Edge lost the phone pairing to my main phone, once I connected the Edge to the TFT/Bike Bluetooth. I think I will try next to pair the bike as Phone #2 to the Cardo Edge, hoping it will keep the connection to my main phone intakt. By the way, the RT has a separate phone, a left over phone several years old.

But this will require some testing. 

10 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Well, that is going to be a difficult one. If I can’t figure out how to get the phone app for the V1 do work together with the CA App, I guess I will install a  MotoChello speaker bridge again and splice the 2 signals into my Sena SM-10.

But I hope there will be another way to do this, since I may also install my Nav6 GPS and I would like optional voice directions from it. The Nav6 will only be able to send a Bluetooth signal, so it will require some trials and disappointments. 

I did find out that my Cardo Edge lost the phone pairing to my main phone, once I connected the Edge to the TFT/Bike Bluetooth. I think I will try next to pair the bike as Phone #2 to the Cardo Edge, hoping it will keep the connection to my main phone intakt. By the way, the RT has a separate phone, a left over phone several years old.

But this will require some testing. 

I don't think you'll have any problem pairing the Nav 6 to your Cardo.  I have my Zumo XT paired and it works great.  I gave the BMW Nav a good run but I much prefer the Garmin.  Not much room to add the MotoChelllo and Sena SM10.  Looking forward to what you are able to work out. 

5 hours ago, Hati said:

Not me, but here's a video from a guy I trust:

I really like the upper version! Thanks for sharing, haven't seen this video before. 

I am not into Highway pegs, so it isn’t interesting for me.

I did watch the video a few days ago and it is a nice setup.

But not for me.

• Like 1
On 10/17/2023 at 5:21 PM, profbodryak said:

I just ordered a set of these, and they were very helpful and responsive to my questions.  I have Illium bars on my 2019 R1250 RT and concerned that they would have space to mount.  They offered a discount if I could report on my findings-very nice of them.  If anyone has these, I'm especially interested in the lower set of these, as my 29" inseam (and shrinking!) doesn't like the Illium works pegs.  I had Mic-o-pegs for 200K miles on my LT and these look as close to them as any I have seen.  If you have a set, I'd love your input and feedback to them.  The product looks impressive and high quality, and I'm looking for that 'other' position for long riding days.  Thanks   Dave 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DBULL said:

as my 29" inseam (and shrinking!)

Probably more appropriate for the Riders Discuss Other topics forum, but here we go.

After the shock of seeing jowls emerging under a tight-fitting ski helmet a few years ago in Utah (along with the graying hair), I recently had to absorb another age-related insult.  At an annual physical, I was asked for the obligatory step on the scale (no comment) and stadiometer before seeing the doctor.  "5'8'" tall announced the nurse.  What!!??  My official HS senior football team height was 5'11 1/2" (never quite got to 6 feet).  Now I've shrunk almost 3+ inches??  Well, measuring again, she granted me 5'9".  Still, a shudder to the ego.  I guess I will never play college football.  Also explains why the flat footing is harder when in non-single rider mode.

• Like 3

Luckily, my legs aren't shrinking.  But I lost about 1.5 inches between rupturing 2 discs in my lower back.  I have yet to reach the old age shrinkage.  I'm sure that'll hit me sooner than I'd like.

• Like 1
On 10/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, RandyShields said:

Probably more appropriate for the Riders Discuss Other topics forum, but here we go.

After the shock of seeing jowls emerging under a tight-fitting ski helmet a few years ago in Utah (along with the graying hair), I recently had to absorb another age-related insult.  At an annual physical, I was asked for the obligatory step on the scale (no comment) and stadiometer before seeing the doctor.  "5'8'" tall announced the nurse.  What!!??  My official HS senior football team height was 5'11 1/2" (never quite got to 6 feet).  Now I've shrunk almost 3+ inches??  Well, measuring again, she granted me 5'9".  Still, a shudder to the ego.  I guess I will never play college football.  Also explains why the flat footing is harder when in non-single rider mode.

Funny my wife has lost about 2-3 inches as well.  She was sure after her back surgery she'd get some back but no luck.  Fortunately I still measure 6'3" but hey on the bright side maybe If I lose an inch or 2 finding riding gear for TALL guys won't be an issue.  Always a silver lining. 

• Haha 1
On 10/18/2023 at 3:12 AM, Hati said:

Not me, but here's a video from a guy I trust:

I too follow him on YouTube but honestly I would not replace my cylinder protection with highway pegs.   But these do look nice. 

Totally agree that I won't be taking off the bars-protection and my Clearwater light placement.  We'll see

I received the pegs while we were away for two weeks-very quick shipping.  I believe that the lower pegs are going to work for my riding position like Mic-o-pegs, and that would be a welcome addition for me.  

FWIW, I used this long angled foot board kit designed for 1.25" (32mm,) crash bars (for Harley,) and shimmed them to fit my Ilium crash bars at 1" (25mm,) for about $125 complete. A nice option for stretching my knees a bit (and I still have crash bars :)

2017 R1200RT

footpads.jpeg

• Like 2

Well I don’t like floorboards or highway pegs on any of my motorcycles. I have not needed them in last 500k+ miles and don’t want or need them now. I have seen what happens when those things touch down in a left hand corner. It was not pretty to watch in my mirrors. No thank you for all the suggestions. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Well I don’t like floorboards or highway pegs on any of my motorcycles. I have not needed them in last 500k+ miles and don’t want or need them now. I have seen what happens when those things touch down in a left hand corner. It was not pretty to watch in my mirrors. No thank you for all the suggestions. 

I’m with you!  As I heard one instructor say …. If your feet are on highway pegs you are not in full control of the bike. But to each his own. 

• Like 1

Fun looking ride Bernie! 

I live in NC and found a similar 2 lane twisty route to work through the countryside (on my way to Clarksville, VA) each day. Mine are made of macadam chip and tar asphalt - eats tires, but a lot of fun.)

I set my 'highway'' pegs up (in my pic above,) so that they can't touch before my footpegs would, and even high enough that I suspect the tires would have left mother earth before they ever did come in contact. Good advice to those considering pegs.

And I need to unkink the old knees on occasion (highway use only.)

(My other bike is a Harley, so I know what forward pegs "sound" like.) :beer:

• Like 1

So it continues, today I installed a SW-Motech tank blaring and tank bag. This is the first time I am trying to use a tank ring mounted tank bag. Here are a few pictures. IMG_8590.thumb.jpeg.1ebf5c54210312e68a895c0e5a663ffe.jpegIMG_8592.thumb.jpeg.771b36c3a8d0ffd99e2b690116d5319d.jpegIMG_8593.thumb.jpeg.added14572b9bb4eb6f2cd01e7872561.jpeg

With the tablet attachment installed. 
IMG_8595.thumb.jpeg.e6400a5808bc23ff451e93f2c72efa0b.jpeg

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Bernie said:

This is the reason, I don't need hi way pegs.

That's an awesome road. But hey, I assume you were just scuffing your tires at that pace, and you SIGNIFICANTLY increased it on the way back, right?:D And congrats on the new bike.

15 minutes ago, JCtx said:

That's an awesome road. But hey, I assume you were just scuffing your tires at that pace, and you SIGNIFICANTLY increased it on the way back, right?:D And congrats on the new bike.

I only rode this road in one direction. I know being a rider from Florida, I am a very slow rider. But of course you can’t see all the gravel in the curves, due to the poor video from my old GoPro camera.

But let me know when you decide to attend a FART or START event and I will direct you to some nice roads, where you can use up the edges of your tires and scrape the feelers of your foot pegs.

:4322:

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Bernie said:

today I installed a SW-Motech tank blaring and tank bag.

I have the same. Love it to pieces but be aware that the very bottom of the bag will eventually touch the tank ever so slightly. I have protective film on my '21 RT and you can clearly see where it rubs. I would stick a little piece of clear film over that part if I was you.

• Like 1

Hey Bernie,

I think you will really like the SW-Motech ring system, especially at gas stations.  Although I do not like a tank bag that large, I have their day bag, I have had their ring system for years and love it.  

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Bernie said:

With the tablet attachment installed. 
IMG_8595.thumb.jpeg.e6400a5808bc23ff451e93f2c72efa0b.jpeg

I dunno about that part.

On a trip to NoVA one summer day, I put my iphone in the plastic of the tank bag,....sun beating down, and iphone says to me "i'm too hot and shutting down", it didnt' take long for that to happen.  Pulled over, took the phone out and within a few minutes, it cooled back down to op-temp.

Dunno whatcha gonna do with the tablet in the plastic, but that was my experience with an electronic device in the plastic

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I dunno about that part.

On a trip to NoVA one summer day, I put my iphone in the plastic of the tank bag,....sun beating down, and iphone says to me "i'm too hot and shutting down", it didnt' take long for that to happen.  Pulled over, took the phone out and within a few minutes, it cooled back down to op-temp.

Dunno whatcha gonna do with the tablet in the plastic, but that was my experience with an electronic device in the plastic

What?   Tablet?  I thought that was a skillet for Bernie to fry up some eggs to go with his Starbucks! 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I dunno about that part.

I plan to use it for a ….,,,,,Map!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
21 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I plan to use it for a ….,,,,,Map!

What's this map thing you speak of????

Right before I took happy snaps of the tank bag I just sold, I pulled the paper map out that had my route highlighted,.......GPS' loose signal, cell phones loose signal, electronic die,.....so paper is solid.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Bernie said:

But of course you can’t see all the gravel in the curves, due to the poor video from my old GoPro camera.

So that was why (and yes, I couldn't see the gravel in the video); you're absolutely excused then:grin:. And thank you for the offer to help with roads there. Next time we go, I want to try different roads than the typical dragon, skyway, parkway, and that surrounding area. The only road I haven't done is 441, which looks nice up to Carlos Campbell overlook (before Gatlinburg), but my cousin said it's super congested even on weekdays, so we haven't done it yet (is it worth it?). I want to venture further north (using a different 'base' than Maggie Valley), to places like the devil's triangle, but not sure it'd be worth it. That's when input from knowledgeable people like you would be awesome... but only if you don't mind, or are not busy at the time:). Take care, and thanks again for the offer to help.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

What's this map thing you speak of????

Right before I took happy snaps of the tank bag I just sold, I pulled the paper map out that had my route highlighted,.......GPS' loose signal, cell phones loose signal, electronic die,.....so paper is solid.

Maps are the analog version of a GPS. They don’t require any satellites, electricity, cell tower signals or WiFi. They work in the all types of weather and never take a break or ask for time out to recalculate. Very reliable and in case of an emergency can be used to start a fire.

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

Just installed the pegs on my R1250RT from a post little above this.

I have Illium front bars installed-great for protection and my Sevina lights, and I was not interested in losing them

The product arrived very quickly, nicely packaged.  Product is nice quality

Upper/Lower are attached and required taking apart, since I really wanted the lower only, but the company offered a discount if I would review install with Illium bars.

Lower bars (the one in the picture) took maybe 30 minutes to install.  I've sat on the bike in the garage, and waiting for the rain to leave so I can take a ride and try them out.

If anyone is interested in more observations or pics, I have several others I could send/text.  Or, if you want to talk about it, please feel free to call

Dave   262-893-6006

My real desire for this stemmed from years of use of Mic-o-pegs on my LT.  I've called those folks and they have no plans for the R1250RT.  Nice folks, but it was a dead end.  I tried the Illium bars, but my short legs just didn't reach.  (that was an expensive lesson)   These appear to be as close to an answer for another position for me, but will know on the first long ride.  I've done 18,200 miles this year,  about average for me, so I could really use one more shift of position for longer rides.  

IMG_7660.HEICIMG_7660.HEICIMG_7660.HEIC

IMG_7664.jpg

• Like 1
On 10/16/2023 at 12:07 PM, strataj said:

Well, @strataj, I am having the same problem using the iPhone app and the Cardo Edge head set. Once I have the Edge paired and connected to the BMW TFT. The Edge will not connect to my iPhone, so the V1 App is useless. The Edge actually deletes the previous phone pairing.

So as a experiment, I have mounted a set of speakers in the helmet. These will wire straight to the V1 unit. I use ear plug speakers for my Cardo Edge unit.

Besides the problem of having to deal with a speaker wire, I hope that the speakers can overcome the sound of the ear plug speakers and let me hear the alerts from the V1. Hopefully I can give it a test run this weekend.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DBULL said:

Just installed the pegs on my R1250RT from a post little above this.

I have Illium front bars installed-great for protection and my Sevina lights, and I was not interested in losing them

The product arrived very quickly, nicely packaged.  Product is nice quality

Upper/Lower are attached and required taking apart, since I really wanted the lower only, but the company offered a discount if I would review install with Illium bars.

Lower bars (the one in the picture) took maybe 30 minutes to install.  I've sat on the bike in the garage, and waiting for the rain to leave so I can take a ride and try them out.

If anyone is interested in more observations or pics, I have several others I could send/text.  Or, if you want to talk about it, please feel free to call

Dave   262-893-6006

My real desire for this stemmed from years of use of Mic-o-pegs on my LT.  I've called those folks and they have no plans for the R1250RT.  Nice folks, but it was a dead end.  I tried the Illium bars, but my short legs just didn't reach.  (that was an expensive lesson)   These appear to be as close to an answer for another position for me, but will know on the first long ride.  I've done 18,200 miles this year,  about average for me, so I could really use one more shift of position for longer rides.  

IMG_7660.HEICIMG_7660.HEICIMG_7660.HEIC 1.62 MB · 6 downloads

IMG_7664.jpg

Looks like a nice and elegant solution. Maybe you should try to do a separate write up/posting in ShiftCam and add your pictures. It will help out some of the guys.

PS: to add pictures from a Mac, you have to convert them first to a JPG file. What I do is post the pictures from my iPhone and it somehow converts them automatically.

• Like 1

Good thought-I'll work at it when we get home.  I'm pleased overall with the potential-just wish our  season for riding is nearing an end soon in WI

But this thread is about Bernie's bike!  Thanks for playing.  Johnny, tell our contestant about his parting gift.

:wave:

• Smile 1