IGNORED

How did you mount your GPS receiver?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

New 2023 R1250RT.  Not thrilled with the built-in GPS system, planning to mount a stand-alone GPS receiver, very likely a Garmin Zumo XT.  I have an idea about how and where to mount it, but before I move in that direction, I'm curious to hear how anyone here with the same style of one-piece cast handlebars has mounted their GPS.

Way back in '03, I made a custom mount bracket that attached to the barback on my 1100RT, and in '09 I transferred it to my 1200RT.  Here's a view of the left handlebar, barback, and the custom mount bracket with GPS cradle (receiver not installed in cradle):

image.thumb.png.0d3d0c1e2fb41e1c6a6097f4051eca02.png

Here's the rider's view, showing the receiver nicely positioned between the mirror and the instrument cluster:

image.thumb.png.e8f9ed726b1da80b9947db63257e96cf.png

(That pic is from 2011; I've been using a Zumo 595 since 2018.)

None of that bracketry will fit nicely on the new 1250, so I'm starting from scratch.  I'm envisioning a bespoke mount that will put the new GPS in roughly the same spot between instrument cluster and mirror, making use of these two items:

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/R1200_RS_R1200_RT_R1250_RT_Hand_Protectors_Mounts

image.png.6d8fd39c2750f649fed67bbde6cf1ba1.png

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_Motorcycle_R1200_RT_R1250_RT_Handlebar_Risers

image.png.192d845a8ee767a3f8485deca40f39c9.png

A strip of 90-degree bent steel mounted to the hand protector mount and to an elongated handlebar attachment bolt in the bar riser should provide a solid platform for attaching the GPS receiver.  

But before my tunnel vision takes me down this Rube Goldberg path, I'm wondering what you other folks have done.  Custom and store-bought solutions  are welcome, as are different mounting locations.  Thanks in advance for sharing.

image.thumb.png.d3ea11f694dca1717f1b333d46b16941.png

I've ordered a mount and RFI shield that places the GPS over the TFT. The XM antenna will need relocation or removal not a fan of XM anyway. Here is the Link

• Like 1

Consider the RAM B-345U or B-346U clutch reservoir mounts.  One of those would keep the GPS close to your left hand for those times you need to tap it a time or two while riding.

Some prefer to have the GPS centered, but I have mine positioned visually between the instruments and the left mirror, so it is part of a single mirror/GPS/speedo scan. On my '06 a portrait orientation works best, but looking at your photo I think there is space to use landscape mode.

Hi Mitch - congrats on the new bike.  You'll love it. 

Here are a couple of links that may be of interest as you sort out a mounting solution that works best for you.

I can send other picture of the installation if needed.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I used a NAV-6 car mount to install the GPS on my 21RT. I tapped into the power outlet on the right side fairing for power, this outlet is on a relay so when the bike is turned off the GPS will shut off automatically .  Photo shows two options for power , since my bike doesn't have speakers  I used that panel for the PowerLet socket. Easy install and fairly cheap cost wise. 

GPS 1 (2022_06_16 20_47_40 UTC).jpg

GPS 6.jpg

GPS4 (2022_06_16 20_47_40 UTC).jpg

GPS 7.jpg

• Like 1

The white plug for accessory power (off with ignition) is still present on the '21 RT, but not on the '23 RT. Someone on the "other" forum was asking about it.

If you can, try to mount your XT in portrait position rather than landscape. I find that I get much better information on the road ahead, instead of what is on either side of me.

3 hours ago, Randyjaco said:

If you can, try to mount your XT in portrait position rather than landscape. I find that I get much better information on the road ahead, instead of what is on either side of me.

I used to be convinced that portrait was the only sane choice, for that exact reason. Then I realized that I usually had one of the optional tools displayed - the music player, or Up Ahead, or one of the other info displays.  So the visible map window is most often a square rather than a rectangle, and I see about same amount of the upcoming road, regardless of orientation.  I use portrait now only because it fits better between the mirror and speedometer. In the car, landscape seems more natural.  I'm not aware of missing anything because of screen orientation, with or without the extra displays activated.

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 10/14/2023 at 5:19 PM, lkraus said:

Consider the RAM B-345U or B-346U clutch reservoir mounts.  One of those would keep the GPS close to your left hand for those times you need to tap it a time or two while riding.

These looked interesting, thanks, but tonight I pulled the cover off of the clutch reservoir and discovered that the cover and reservoir are made of glass-reinforced plastic or something similar, and the cover screws are coarse-threaded and made for engaging with plastic (rather than the metric machine-thread screws for the reservoir on my previous bikes).  Bottom line, the machine screws that come with those RAM bases don't seem like they're the right screws for the job.  :-(

Or am I wrong about that?  Have people been successfully attaching RAM mounts to these plastic clutch reservoirs?

On 10/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, TracerBullet said:

I use a Telferizer.

They don't list the 1250RT on their website.  What parts did you end up getting from them for yours? 

7 hours ago, Hati said:

The white plug for accessory power (off with ignition) is still present on the '21 RT, but not on the '23 RT. Someone on the "other" forum was asking about it.

It is actually still there on the left side right in front of the gas tank. I wired my GS mount to that yesterday. 

12 hours ago, lkraus said:

I'm not aware of missing anything because of screen orientation, with or without the extra displays activated.

I think this is more about how much further ahead you can see the track you will ride in portrait mode. Right up to the next right angle turn ;)