IGNORED

Garmin Prep on a 2021-2023 R1250RT

profbodryak

When I first got my 2023 RT I was all hyped up about the connected ride app and the TFT display being able to display the maps. Much to my disappointment, this excitement aired out fairly quickly. So today I received a really nice navigator base that came off a GS. I am currently looking at finding the right bracket to hold it (I won't go with the FMS because I don't want to get inside my RT to unmount the XM radio antenna) and have the following question: if I connect this to the auxiliary power connector to the left of the forks as this video suggests, do I need an adapter that converts 12V to 4.5V as stated in the video? Or does the converter already live in the GS navigator base? He talks about it at 3 minutes 35 seconds.

The Navigator V or VI (and the Garmin Zumo 660/590/595 series) use mounts with 18 contact pins. Four of those pins provide 12V to the GPS, and the GPS converts the voltage internally.

The Zumo XT shown in the video (and Zumo 39x series and the newer Tread) have five contact pins on the mount and a voltage converter/circuit breaker box built into the supplied wiring harness.  Two contact pins provide 5V to the GPS. 

Details are still scarce about the recently announced BMW ConnectedRide Navigator. It appears to use the existing ConnectedRide cradle, which works with certain smartphones, charging them through a USB-C cable.  My guess is that the new CR Navigator device will be basically a stripped down smartphone without the "phone" capabilities, using the BMW ConnectedRide navigation app. That could be attractive to people with phones that are incompatible with the cradle or who do not want to expose their phone to weather and vibration.  The power supply would be 12V to the cradle and the voltage conversion to 5V would be in the cradle.  

Thank you Ikraus! So it looks like Nav 6 would be the best option and no extra adapters will be needed. You are right, I didn't notice what nav is used in the video.

If the new nav they are releasing will be requiring to use the connected ride app, then it will be a no go for me as this is one reason I am planning on doing this install. On another hand, I did see a description somewhere that made it sound like that this nav won't require the phone app but we shall see. 

• 1 month later...

I finally did it! I was also able to spare the xm antenna mushroom by relocating it forward right up against the FMS mount. Nav 5 is not mine, just for testing purposes. Waiting for the connected ride nav release and if I don't like it, will go for second generation nav VI. 

20231015_164539.jpg

20231015_172801.jpg

20231015_174528.jpg

20231015_174601.jpg

• Like 4

I like that setup. I am waiting on a GPS cradle to start the same conversion.

I guess the XM Mushroom doesn’t hit the windshield when lowered all the way? It looks like it would make a nice platform for a V1 Detector?

XM antenna turned out about 5 mm away from windscreen when all the way down. And it is just about as much away from the lower part of the windshield metal bracket when in the highest position. 

Oh and for the V1 detector - not sure where you could mount but possibly to the nav bolts on the opposite side. The problem is that there's very limited space because of the windshield. But if you didn't keep the xm mushroom... 

Also, if you ordered the FMS mount, I cut it out on the left hand side for the lock cylinder. It comes with spacers but in my opinion it is not necessary and looks a lot better when in direct contact with the mount. 

I carried out this idea for a long time. In the end, I had two fairing bolts left that I don't know where they came from plus one scratch on my hand which is pretty good for a project like this 😁

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Thanks for the info. I will see what happens after I get all the stuff together.

Let me know if you need more pictures. 

• Thanks 1

I have been temporarily using my friend's Nav V and those incidental reports must be true - the TFT does generate a lot of interference and RFID shield is probably not a bad idea. Curious to see if this will be an issue with the connected ride Nav being released on the 1st of November. 

Has anyone routed their audio to the speakers from the Nav unit? I am still experimenting with the connection sequences. So far I have found it to be the best for me when both the phone and Sena are connected directly to the TFT. Phone controls are nice but the downside is reduced sound quality as a direct connection between the phone and my Sena is crystal clear. Not the case when routed through the bike. But wondering if the Nav can be used as an audio source somehow. 

Also, I just realized that in my original post I said that I won't go the FMS mount route because I don't want to get inside the bike and which is exactly what I did 😄

• Like 1
5 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Curious to see if this will be an issue with the connected ride Nav being released on the 1st of November. 

Why would it be? It's (or will be) part of the same system, same connection, not a third party device like a Garmin GPS. That includes the BMW Nav units too.

9 minutes ago, profbodryak said:

The problem is that I currently have the Nav 5 on mine and it is not acquiring a satellite signal. 

FMS sells a RFI shield, which it highly recommends to fix those reception problems you are having. 

28 minutes ago, Bernie said:

FMS sells a RFI shield, which it highly recommends to fix those reception problems you are having. 

I have it, thanks Bernie, just haven't installed it yet. In my opinion it takes away from the looks of the dashboard. I may end up installing it if the connected ride nav has the same issue. 

36 minutes ago, profbodryak said:

I have it, thanks Bernie, just haven't installed it yet. In my opinion it takes away from the looks of the dashboard. I may end up installing it if the connected ride nav has the same issue. 

I don’t think you guys understand. The New Connected Ride Nav device is for GS/GSA/R/RS and XR model bikes.

I believe it is to expand the TFT screen area and to provide a map display for bikes using the smaller TFT screens.

It would be surprising to me if BMW decided to have it work together with the larger TFT screens used on the RT’s, K bikes and the R18’s. 

3 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

The new Connected Ride Navigator works with any BMW bike from 2014 onward that has both the “wonder wheel” on the handlebars, and the Navigation Prep option installed. The bike does not need to have a TFT display. 

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/Individualisation/accessories/navigation-and-communication/connectedride-navigator.html

Good info, except none of the 10.25” TFT bikes have a Navigation Prep Option installed, and it is not available as a option from BMW. Unless BMW decided to make a sort of retrofit kit for the 10.25” TFT bikes.

• Like 1

There is a lot to be said for steam gauges. Watching this thread as sounds like TFT is a new BMW poorly implemented device. Hope they find a retro software load that will improve things for you. 

Interestin Garmin has modern aviation radio that cost less than BMW and has integrated Bluetooth that is easy to connect multiple devices, yet motorcycles are way more complicated to connect GPS, phone, radio, and radar. 

My interest in this is particularly in that now that the physical mount is retrofitted is to have a navigator that does not require the use of my phone. I simply want to have a standalone navigation solution. Technically, I don't really need the integration with my RT for as long as it is switch-powered (on my '15 RT I never used Nav controls through the wonder wheel except maybe to occasionally change the magnification).

All other questions about TFT interference and music are secondary but I guess I will find out. Probably a "no" for the music through the nav as there is a second connector on a GS mount that has no corresponding piece on the bike that I know of and I believe that that is a multimedia one.

And here's another interesting fact about this after coming back home in the dark tonight - there's significant glare on the windscreen about two inches from the top of the windscreen at a current 90 degree angle of the FMS mount. Can be reduced to none by decreasing brightness down to about 30%. 

While waiting on the new nav release, I've been thinking about how to get the USB capability to play music through the speakers from a flash drive. Hypothetically, could the XM radio be replaced with an aftermarket unit or somehow have some other unit connected to it to add that capability? This way XM option through the TFT interface would play MP3's stored on a flash drive. While it may sound pretty crazy at first, it just has to be a unit that talks to the XM module. I am growing more and more tired of the connectivity issue (long time to make a connection, need to make sure music app is running, often times after unmounting from the bike and then starting it again music app needs to be restarted). This list goes on and on. 

Happy to say that no interference from the TFT display. Bought my connected ride navigator today and pretty happy so far. 

16985171962214817399935696027343.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, profbodryak said:

Bought my connected ride navigator today and pretty happy so far. 

That's a good start but do go on.

I'm pretty sure you are the first to contribute about the new nav unit, so tell us how did you go about it. Did you have the dealer fit it with the cradle? Does it work with the wheel? Visibility in direct sun and so on...

First and foremost, I don't regret not getting a Nav VI they offered me at $650 as a closeout item a couple of weeks ago and here is why. When I walked inside the dealer, they didn't have it on display and I asked if it was available. He went inside the storage room and brought the box. I wasn't super happy anticipating spending that much money but figured I do need a navigator. When I asked how much it was, he quoted me $1200 with tax. At that time I was really thinking whether I should do it but something didn't seem right. So I went online and apparently the list price is 890 for that part number and... $937.17 with tax included was what I bought it for.

Man, this unit really works well. I mounted it on a FMS/GS mount that I installed about two weeks ago (see my posts above) and it is basically plug and play. Wonder wheel does not work because there is no media connector on the bike (if someone knows otherwise, please do let me know) but it is powered through that switched power connector on the left front side of the gas tank. The glare from the sun behind you is much like the TFT. While returning from Richmond today after visiting my dad, the sun was behind me for a considerable part of my trip. If the sun is hitting the screen directly it basically renders the screen unreadable but most of the time, I obstructed the light with the helmet so that wasn't an issue. To be honest with you, having had a Nav IV and a Nav V in the past, this does not bother me a single bit. Same readability challenge as with the TFT in direct sunlight, however when no direct sunlight is hitting the screen, the screen quality and map temperature colors are simply fantastic. It also runs very smoothly compared to Nav V/VI so they finally gave it decent brains. I must note that the bezels around the screen are rather thick but I should not complain because the overall display size is probably slightly bigger than the previous generation Navs. When I use my TFT display phone driven maps, I barely get any traffic info. This thing runs off same Tom Tom maps if I recall correctly and when I connected it to my phone via a hotspot, it was showing lots of traffic information pretty much everywhere. I am actually now seriously considering getting an inexpensive separate data plan for this. It hasn't gotten lost a single time yesterday or today although I haven't tried route planning yet.

The build quality is very solid and looks very natural on the RT as if it came factory installed. I haven't played enough with it just yet but haven't gotten the adaptive map color to work yet. So it seems like it is running in night mode all the time. Additionally, to those of you who want to use the Nav without taking off your gloves, you need touch screen friendly gloves, otherwise it won't work (it is no longer a capacitive touch screen).

FMS mount sits right in the center and because the Connected Ride Nav is slightly wider than the previous generations, it actually is a bit off center extending slightly farther to the right.

It is expensive, yes. But it is definitely worth the spending in my opinion. I would not consider getting a used Nav VI because the warranty would be questionable and sometimes it is hard to say what generation they are. But getting one new for around 700 now that the Connected Ride Nav is out, is not something I was willing to do.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Wanted to provide an update. I was a little too fast to say it doesn't need the RF shield. Most of my commute was on the freeway that day but unfortunately in the city it loses signal. Therefore I decided to do a modified FMS accessories RF shield install. The reason I say modified is because waves propagate in an outward direction, there's no reason for the shield to actually be this large. So I cut it to where it is the same width as the nav and made the depth smaller as well so it is not sticking out. Also, I moved it down closer to the TFT but had to slightly file down the GS nav mount. Now everything is a pretty snug fit and looks as if it is stock (at least in the rider's view). Just need to paint the sides of the metal mount where it was cut. Last week I also got a prepaid data sim card to pull traffic info (no, I refuse to make another connection through a hotspot). End result in the picture. 

20231106_175959.jpg

• 3 months later...

I used a Wunderlich replacement bolt for the LH handlebar bolt and RAM ball/mount to move my Zumo XT2 just under my main display.

Just back from a ride - works really well.

The connected app/main display works OK, but you can't change the route/put in a new one.

The Zumo is hard to beat.

PXL_20240305_222531787.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
profbodryak

The reason I went through all the pain with my setup is so that it's in a line of sight. Definitely minimizes the time that the eyesight is off the road. 

• Like 1