IGNORED

BMW Noob - Hoping for a little advice on a possible new-to-me RT

Stresspuppy

14 hours ago, Stiggy said:

I have this phone mount on my bike. Attaches where the radio/navigation might have been had the previous owner ordered that package.

Works well as my navigation unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-Bracket-Motorcycle-Charging-2014-2019/dp/B08D8Y99V7

Thanks. That's the one I was looking at if I can't get mine to work. Can you fit a phone with a case? I have my phone in the Quad lock case but if I can't use that system I have something smaller.

It's official. Early Thursday morning I leave to fly to Boston then drive the rest of the way to NH. Once I check out the bike and do the paperwork (the dealer said they do the temp tag so that question is solved) I'll be heading to see @Boxflyer to give the bike a good going over and we are going to do the 12,000 mile service. From there I'll head back to Virginia. No Iron Butt for me so whole trip is three days. Now it is a bit like being a kid at Christmas trying to wait and be focused on work instead of the bike (and reading the hefty Rider's Manual).

This group is amazing! I appreciate all the input and advice.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Stresspuppy said:

Thanks. That's the one I was looking at if I can't get mine to work. Can you fit a phone with a case? I have my phone in the Quad lock case but if I can't use that system I have something smaller.

It's official. Early Thursday morning I leave to fly to Boston then drive the rest of the way to NH. Once I check out the bike and do the paperwork (the dealer said they do the temp tag so that question is solved) I'll be heading to see @Boxflyer to give the bike a good going over and we are going to do the 12,000 mile service. From there I'll head back to Virginia. No Iron Butt for me so whole trip is three days. Now it is a bit like being a kid at Christmas trying to wait and be focused on work instead of the bike (and reading the hefty Rider's Manual).

This group is amazing! I appreciate all the input and advice.

Congrats on the bike! As to the holder, there are screws on top to adjust tension as mine is also in a rubberized case for its own protection (from me.)

One note, if you see "wireless" in the ad, and there's a pic of the 3 (white) wire USB in the pic, it is not wireless. (Translation goof from Chinese I suspect as that's where they're manufactured.) It fits tight into the bike  btw, and once I got it installed, I just left it there.

@Stiggy Thanks! And thanks for the info on the holder. From what I have read, it is a tight fit as you mention so if go that route, I'll just be "gentle" with it. (BTW - the one you linked to is "Currently Unavailable" but I have seen others and they look exactly the same. Probably same manufacturer, different distributor as tends to be the case on Amazon).

• Like 1
On 10/16/2023 at 8:14 AM, Hosstage said:

Before you get there to pick it up, try to get familiar with the handlebar controls by looking them up and learn their functions. Take your time once on the bike to work them so you aren't fighting to operate them once underway. There is a big learning curve compared to simple cruiser controls. If you've not had cruise control on previous bikes, you'll really like it, make sure you know how to use it before setting out. Drive modes can be changed once underway, but certain suspension load settings cannot, at least from what I remember.

So I read the whole Rider's Manual. Is there a reward or badge for that? :16:

As for "controls on a cruiser", mine is a 2004 and the "dash" is on top of the tank (so you have to look down to check speed) with just a speedo turn signal lights and a couple of warning lights. The handlebar controls are turn signals, horn, start, kill. About as basic as you can get. The best you get for a gas gauge is using the tripmeter to track your miles and hope you do your math right. Small tank, I get about 120 miles and  I start thinking about finding a gas station.

Looking forward to getting the trip underway. My wife has said I'm like a kid at Christmas. My flight tomorrow is at 6:20 am (ouch, for me at least) but should be on the bike getting used to it by noon. I wonder if I'll even sleep tonight...

• Like 3

WHEW! All done and back home. 9 states and 856 miles but got it done. Longest trip I've ever done (by almost 3x) but a baby trip for some of you.

First, HUGE ENORMOUS thank you to @Boxflyer for the biggest and best help and hospitality. The bike got a 12,000 mile service plus a little extra love. His willingness to help and explain during the process is second to none in my book. 

The bike has a bit of a cosmetic issue. Someone wiped something like a clear coat on the panels to make them shiny and it is streaky and bubbly but I can deal with that and see if there is anything I can do to fix it. I tried mild stuff up to lacquer thinner - on an inconspicuous spot - and no luck.  The important part is that the bike seems sound mechanically. The rest I can deal/play with. I'm not planning on any bike shows...

Observations:

• Bike is MUCH more nimble and responsive than my cruiser (not hard to do). Fun to flick around a little.
  • Because of the nimbleness, my slight hesitations in some sharper turns when on the Honda were non-existent on the RT. You look, it goes, period.
  • Bike purrs and is smoooooth at 70+ miles an hour (great below it too, but that is when I noticed it most)
  • How in the world did I live without cruise control?!? It was mentioned it would be a game changer for me, and it was.
  • A real dashboard with controls and information that actually helps you was a huge plus on the trip. 
  • Heated seat and grips - they do make a difference.
  • Adjustable windscreen is a game changer as well. Thought is was a bit of a gimmick in a way until I started playing with it. The "bubble" it creates and the noise in the helmet it reduces is phenomenal. It also indirectly helps my posture in that is makes me sit up a bit straighter to see over the top instead of slouching.
  • Bike has Skeen lights which I thought were odd at first but they seemed to work. Most cars gave a big space behind me when cruising along.
  • Has taken a little getting used to sitting up much higher and not being 100% flat footed. Seat is in low position so wasn't bad.
  • It's great how much you can fit in the panniers and top case. 
  • Leg/knee/foot/shifter position wasn't quite as hard to adapt to as I thought it might be, but still not quite natural yet.
  • Because pegs are directly below where you are sitting, it took a little adjustment to put my feet/legs OUT then down. There is no path to straight down. 
  • Grips are much smaller than I am used to and could use a little padding. - Ordered Monkey Grips
  • Seat leaves a bit to be desired. It is a stock seat with velour or something over top of it. About 2 hours or so in and my backside starts to let me know. Will likely order a seat soon, leaning towards Russell.
  • Bar backs may also be in the future. I seemed to lean a little more forward than optimal as my hands got a bit tingly on a couple of occasions. 
  • Phone mount is an absolute must if you don't have the GPS. I won't regale you in my missed turns, which I have decided to call my sight-seeing detours. I have already used a bar extension to the inside and mounted my Quad Lock setup.
  • Ilium crash bars are awesome and work as intended (don't ask me how I know).
  • Just an absolute fun bike to ride. Had a smile on my face even through the rain.

Some basic questions (mostly trivial):

• Is the top case supposed to auto open when you unlock it or are the struts there just to hold it up? (Mine hold it but I have to lift the top.)
  • When braking, how much do you use front versus back (or combo)? I found myself using just the front 90% of the time as they did such a great job (again, thanks to @Boxflyer for the brake work).
  • When parking at home, do you tend to leave it on the side stand or always put it on the center stand?
  • Silly: Has anyone thought the front looks like a character out of the "Angry Birds" game from a few years back? With the halo lights and headlight on, there is definitely a face of some sort there. :D
  • (I'm sure there will be more)

I am still a bit giddy and like a kid that just opened a present on Christmas morning, but I had so much fun that it has me thinking I should sell my Honda, which I said I would never do. And I am looking for excuses to go ride, even if just a quick jaunt out and back somewhere. Definitely what I was looking for.

Thanks again to all for the input and insights. 

• Like 4

My  $.02

Monkey grips worked for me.

Linked brakes means that under normal conditions, you don't even need to apply the rear brake. The bike does it for you, (Use the rear brake alone for tight, slow speed maneuvers.) 

I pop it up on the center stand once a week as I peek at the oil level at that time and wipe it down occasionally. It's a daily rider here in NC and its on the side stand the rest of the time for convenience.

Congrats again!

You've got this :18:

Congrats....Im sure with a Boxflyer once over it will serve you well for thousands of miles.

• Is the top case supposed to auto open when you unlock it or are the struts there just to hold it up? (Mine hold it but I have to lift the top.)
    • No auto open.  
  • When braking, how much do you use front versus back (or combo)? I found myself using just the front 90% of the time as they did such a great job (again, thanks to @Boxflyer for the brake work).
    • Front and back together, but 90% front.
  • When parking at home, do you tend to leave it on the side stand or always put it on the center stand?
    • For a quick stop, side stand with side stand enlarger, longer than a short stop I use the center stand  No right or wrong way
  • Silly: Has anyone thought the front looks like a character out of the "Angry Birds" game from a few years back? With the halo lights and headlight on, there is definitely a face of some sort there. :D
    • Yes
  • (I'm sure there will be more)
    • You are in the right place for that. No better place to get the right answers from willing and helpful people.

If you decide you don't get much relief on the monkey grip, try grip puppies.  Cheap and work well...the question will be does heat work with them on.  Yes it works fine.

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

If you decide you don't get much relief on the monkey grip, try grip puppies.  Cheap and work well...the question will be does heat work with them on.  Yes it works fine.

Typed Monkey Grip, meant Grip Puppies. It's about a grip and some animal, so close enough, right? (Not sure where "monkey" came from)

So practicing the center stand it is. Did it a couple of times at BoxFlyer's but with a low slung cruiser, no such thing. 

Well, about 1100 miles since I got the bike on the 19th (which was done over 4 days and is about 1/3 of what I did on my Honda all summer) and loving it. Largest part was the ride home, but Saturday I did 320 miles with a stretch of that on the Blue Ridge Parkway (about 80 miles or so - beautiful; the rest was there and back from Richmond VA).

The toughest thing right now is seat and handlebar position, both of which I hope to remedy in short order. 

A few more questions. I didn't want to start new threads since these are still pretty much noob questions so putting them here.

1. Seats - I like the design and look of the Corbin, and love the one I have on my Honda, but I'm not fond of having to put in a different latch system and having a different key. The Russell seems so wide, which I'm sure is part of what makes it comfortable, but there is info on the website about people with short legs having to shift forward to get their feet down. Any one with an RDL with a 30" or so inseam? How is it coming to a stop and putting your feet down? I'm on the balls of my feet now with a factory seat set low, I'd prefer not to be on my tippy-toes. (There is a lead time here and you have to send in your seat so will likely have to wait on this until I don't mind being without the bike.)
  2. Ilium bar backs - do they have some adjustability? Looks like they can rotate a little to help you get them in a good position. 
  3. Filling the gas tank - this is very basic but how do you know the tank is full without it coming over the top? I just watch it down in there until it gets to the bottom of the fill neck or so, but that's a pain if you don't have good light. Since the nozzle won't go all the way in like a car, I don't think the auto-shutoff will work properly (and it would probably splash up and out anyway). I know @Boxflyer has a trick to getting more fuel in the tank, but I want to understand how to not get it spilling everywhere before I look into that.
  4. Cruising/shifting RPM - Where do you tend to shift? (I don't have the shift light on, but maybe I should try). I try to listen to/feel the engine to find the sweet spot. I was riding at 45 mph in 3rd at about 4k rpm for a stretch and while the speedo said it had a lot more to go, it sounded a little up there. But this is much different than my Honda so trying to find the sweet spot.

I may have more as I ride and tinker more.

As always, thanks for the input and assistance.

Seats, I like my Sargent (Feels like something BMW might have manufactured if they had the desire. Looks similar to stock but 20 % wider with better support IMO.) YMMV

Bar backs are a little adjustable.

Gas tank, Slow automatic fill and when it clicks off top it off to bottom of filler neck. Never splashed on me once.

Shift point? Never really looked but I'm guessing somewhere around 3500 just cruising.

EDIT to add: Just rode home from the office, I 'casually' shift at around 4,000 or so.

9 hours ago, Stresspuppy said:

Well, about 1100 miles since I got the bike on the 19th (which was done over 4 days and is about 1/3 of what I did on my Honda all summer) and loving it. Largest part was the ride home, but Saturday I did 320 miles with a stretch of that on the Blue Ridge Parkway (about 80 miles or so - beautiful; the rest was there and back from Richmond VA).

The toughest thing right now is seat and handlebar position, both of which I hope to remedy in short order. 

A few more questions. I didn't want to start new threads since these are still pretty much noob questions so putting them here.

1. Seats - I like the design and look of the Corbin, and love the one I have on my Honda, but I'm not fond of having to put in a different latch system and having a different key. The Russell seems so wide, which I'm sure is part of what makes it comfortable, but there is info on the website about people with short legs having to shift forward to get their feet down. Any one with an RDL with a 30" or so inseam? How is it coming to a stop and putting your feet down? I'm on the balls of my feet now with a factory seat set low, I'd prefer not to be on my tippy-toes. (There is a lead time here and you have to send in your seat so will likely have to wait on this until I don't mind being without the bike.)
  2. Ilium bar backs - do they have some adjustability? Looks like they can rotate a little to help you get them in a good position. 
  3. Filling the gas tank - this is very basic but how do you know the tank is full without it coming over the top? I just watch it down in there until it gets to the bottom of the fill neck or so, but that's a pain if you don't have good light. Since the nozzle won't go all the way in like a car, I don't think the auto-shutoff will work properly (and it would probably splash up and out anyway). I know @Boxflyer has a trick to getting more fuel in the tank, but I want to understand how to not get it spilling everywhere before I look into that.
  4. Cruising/shifting RPM - Where do you tend to shift? (I don't have the shift light on, but maybe I should try). I try to listen to/feel the engine to find the sweet spot. I was riding at 45 mph in 3rd at about 4k rpm for a stretch and while the speedo said it had a lot more to go, it sounded a little up there. But this is much different than my Honda so trying to find the sweet spot.

I may have more as I ride and tinker more.

As always, thanks for the input and assistance.

I have an RDL on my 17RT. My inseam is 29". Yes I am on my tip toes when I put my foot down, but the riding comfort is worth the stretching. A warning, don't use the offset rubber bushings for lowering the front of an RDL. They will negatively affect the comfort of that seat. 

As for shifting; I always try to keep my RPMs above 3250, otherwise you are potentially lugging your engine. I tend to shift up when I hit @4k rpm if I am taking it easy.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Randyjaco said:

A warning, don't use the offset rubber bushings for lowering the front of an RDL. They will negatively affect the comfort of that seat. 

Are you referring to the adjuster that is on the bike (flip over for low seat) or some add-on bushings? I have it setup with the low seat at the moment.

Congrats on the bike. I’m on my 4th RT. Always RDL. You know about the lead time so call them and inquire about your production date and plan accordingly. If you decide on a Russell you will quickly learn the RDL slide. When coming to a stop you automatically slide forward against the tank to put your feet down. 

Illium barbacks are my preferred brand type. 

When filling up I stick it all the way in😳 and when it cuts off I’m good. If in the middle of nowhere I will top it off carefully. Becomes second nature. 

The boxer motor loves to rev. As long as you have oil in her let her have it. Short shifting is a no no. I shift @ 4-5k unless in town. 

if my memory serves me correctly the 18 has a wimpy meep meep horn. There is a plug and play low frequency horn from the series 5 BMW car that works great and at not too bad of a price that you might consider. Not air horn loud but it’ll scare you the first time you honk it. 

Enjoy that fine machine. 

17 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

if my memory serves me correctly the 18 has a wimpy meep meep horn. There is a plug and play low frequency horn from the series 5 BMW car that works great and at not too bad of a price that you might consider. Not air horn loud but it’ll scare you the first time you honk it. 

Enjoy that fine machine. 

Thanks Rinkydink. This is the horn (which I also just ordered for myself,) in case the OP chooses to go that way.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmeuropean.com%2FImages%2FSmallPictures%2F61338381271-MFG797-2.jpg&t=1698790542&ymreqid=e4487384-d4d7-f750-1c5c-6100a801e400&sig=GfKSfuJ9ZHWG98NmivhRLA--~D 1 61338381271-MFG797 Horn

$37.22
2 hours ago, Stiggy said:

Thanks Rinkydink. This is the horn (which I also just ordered for myself,) in case the OP chooses to go that way.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmeuropean.com%2FImages%2FSmallPictures%2F61338381271-MFG797-2.jpg&t=1698790542&ymreqid=e4487384-d4d7-f750-1c5c-6100a801e400&sig=GfKSfuJ9ZHWG98NmivhRLA--~D 1 61338381271-MFG797 Horn

$37.22

Thanks! That's definitely cheaper than some of the airhorn style ones and plug and play certainly beats extra wiring and any sort of CAN controller that might be needed.

@Stiggy where did you find it for that price? I'm seeing $45-60. And $8 is money for other farkles. :classic_wink:

Horn install successful, and much better "Hey I'm here!" to the world around you.

The original is a pancake style while the replacement has the horn on the horn common to automotive. That bounces the sound waves around inside the fairing so even my ears hurt a bit when I use it. Good for me!

Nice!! Mine just showed up today so I’ll get it installed in the next couple of days. Glad to hear it’s so loud. I guess that’s one more reason to wear earplugs when riding… you just never know when you’ll be using it and scaring yourself!

Next I need to get some Denali or Clearwater lights. My budget says Denali at this point as I need better riding gear in all of this at some point. 

@Stiggy - horn installed. Definitely different. I did notice that it touches the left shock at full lock to the right but the bracket flexes and doesn’t seem to inhibit motion at all, and it’s not too often that you would be at full lock so it should be fine. 

I also put in LEDs for low and high beams. Hugh difference in color of light (very white compared to old warm white/yellow). Now to get out at night and see light output. Next on the list is a seat then probably some Denali lights (maybe S4s). 

(For any other noobs that might read through all of this, hopefully some of this banter beyond the original questions will also help in making some decisions. I’ve still got a lot to figure out but this group is pretty amazing.)

IMG_8363.jpeg

IMG_8388.jpeg

• Like 1

"hopefully some of this banter beyond the original questions will also help in making some decisions."

I'm enjoying it, as I'm new (1 yr) to the RT too.

Differing from the 'norm', I checked out Denali et al. and tried these combo fog / distance running lights from LEDPERF.com instead and found their performance comparable to any of these $600 alternatives. 'Cree' LED bulbs in aluminum cases with plastized/rubber clamps for $180 (got them last Black Friday for 20% off and they work fine (IMO)

I also have a self contained LED low beam from them on the way.

Happy shopping...

https://www.ledperf.us/fog-and-long-range-led-lights-for-bmw-motorrad-r-1200-rt-2014-2018-p-37211.html