IGNORED

Progress on the timing jigs

Matteeee

Well here is the mark 1 timing jig, thanks a million to Hati for the dims. I’ve created the CAD in 3D and printed the first prototype, when i get a chance I’ll offer it up and make the necessary tweaks to get it spot on. As luck would have I have been working with a new contractor this week who has a full machine shop and a new laser cutter, he reckons his new toy could cut the plates in under 30 seconds, we’ll see how it pans out, if he’s up for doing me a favour i’ll produce a few. Anyway watch this space. IMG_1995.thumb.jpeg.23ff138e9a2e135e7989910980bc27a7.jpeg

7 hours ago, Matteeee said:

Well here is the mark 1 timing jig

Looks really good. Almost want to buy a set of those despite having the originals :D

3 hours ago, c10 said:

I just ordered a set . They are on back order , but I'm patient .  

Good luck. Me thinks that "backorder" means never to arrive, but good luck never the less.

• Like 1

Looks great to me! Keep trucking! Unable to get prices on any others, so as soon as you get that figured out, please let us know!👍👍👍

• 5 weeks later...

Today....I transferred my inventory of Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools to a Full Fledged CNC Machine Shop for production.

Standby for further announcements as to when you can make orders and for fulfillment.

Here are the R1250 Cam Alignment Jigs...now Black Oxide coated for better protection.

Brad

i-gM6vj8b-XL.jpg

• Like 12
  • 2 weeks later...
John Chandler

i have been following the issue of checking the cams of the 1250, (great YT vids) but i haven't been able to find a supplier of alignment jigs in the UK as yet. Would you have any info on what % of bikes checked need the cams realigning,?. 

jc

@John Chandler

I've done 157 1200 WetHead and 1250 CamHead Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Checks to date and will be installing new cams on another 1200 WetHead on Wednesday...so that will make 158.

I do this service for FREE, so it's a no-brainer to try to schedule something like this with me via PM.

Of those, about 40 have been on the 1250 ShiftHead and overall it's about 90% plus that I find can use some realignment of the cams to put them back to factory fresh original after they have reached at least 12k miles.

Once these get reset to factory spec, they almost always stay there for many, many miles.  I don't have a definite number, but my guess is that they stay in alignment upwards of 100k miles.

Doing the Cam Alignment is totally optional unless one or more of the Cams has needed replacement.  Many owners NEVER have this checked and are perfectly happy with the way the bike runs...on the other hand, just about every one that I work on to do a Cam Alignment results in a smoother, more responsive, more efficient running engine. 

Brad

• Like 9

There's a reason BMW does not make these jigs or the ones for the WetHead, or the CamHead out of plastic or other printing materials.

The tolerances are too critical, and the rigidity and strength are essential. 

I've tried making this kind of thing out of lots of available 3D filaments available, and none of them work out.

I'm not sure that aluminum would be resistant enough to the stress of the twisting ends of the cams when the bolt on the other end is torqued.

I'll stick with STEEL.

See picture above...the availability of the ones shown is about to be announced soon with online ordering, and fulfillment to a USA address...even for overseas orders if they can be shipped to an address in the states.

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...
John Chandler

it would be a good winter project to do the shims and cam alignment but as i am the UK and don't know a USA address i cant buy a set from Brad,  but there is a slight possibility that i can get some jigs from germany. However the tensioner tool is illusive at present, would anyone know what the tensioner tool is made from, (1200 original tensioner, or the old one when the left side tensioner is upgraded?) i cant work out why the original tensioner wont do the job as it does not appear to be a hydraulic one.

regards jc

I recently got my upgraded left tensioner (not installed yet), and IT IS hydraulic, since it has like a piston inside, and an orifice at the bottom. Going back to that special tensioner tool, we don't know why BMW opted to make one, but the other related tools were calibrated with that special tensioner, so it has to be used. But my question now that we know a longer tensioner was needed for the left side, is if the left side is as precise as the right one, since the same special tensioner tool is used for both sides, when the left side needs a longer one for the same tension. But I guess it should be good enough.

7 hours ago, John Chandler said:

i cant work out why the original tensioner wont do the job as it does not appear to be a hydraulic one

1 hour ago, JCtx said:

Going back to that special tensioner tool, we don't know why BMW opted to make one

Because we are running a tensioner that has oil in it, adding extra tension when the motor is running. This extra tension is the reason there is a tool for the job, since the adjustment is done without the oil pressure.

Think about it... If the tension was the same whether the engine is running or not, the fitted tensioner would do the job just fine.

What Brad did was measured the tool's tension and reproduced that with a different spring  using the body of an original tensioner so it would fit with ease.

This is fantastic for anyone wanting to set the chain on waterheads, but not for earlier bikes, such as a camhead that uses the same tool, but without the sleeve, as the LHS cylinder still has the tensioner on the top, unlike the water cooled bikes, where both are on the bottom.

• Like 3

Well if you are so desperate to adjust your cam shaft timing on your bike, you could always visit your licensed BMW dealer. Most likely if your bike is running fine, there’s no need to adjust the timing. And once someone adjusts the timing it will not need to be adjusted for a long time. I had my cam shaft timing checked around 70k miles and then rechecked at 94k with no need for adjustments. if I would not had to replace my cam shafts and followers, there would have been no need to use the cam shaft jig, the cam chain tensioner etc. So relax and go for a ride. The more miles you use your bike the better it is. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

I’ve been following this thread for the last 2 months and am wondering what the expansion rate is for this plastic in a 40 degree range (45-85 F) is and what the flex is over the span of the “thumb” area where the mounting hole is, which is 3/16 thick,  to the far side riser/timing block. Even if it were made from a long fiber impregnated fiberglass I would have doubts about its stability

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Bernie said:

Well if you are so desperate to adjust your cam shaft timing on your bike, you could always visit your licensed BMW dealer. Most likely if your bike is running fine, there’s no need to adjust the timing. And once someone adjusts the timing it will not need to be adjusted for a long time. I had my cam shaft timing checked around 70k miles and then rechecked at 94k with no need for adjustments. if I would not had to replace my cam shafts and followers, there would have been no need to use the cam shaft jig, the cam chain tensioner etc. So relax and go for a ride. The more miles you use your bike the better it is. 

I thought my bike was running fine when I bought it at 5 y.o. and 6,000 original miles. It was only after I watched Brad's videos preparing for the 12,000 mile service and used his cam tensioner tools that I realized how much better the bike then performed once I used them..

Guys would do well to have their cams checked/adjusted relative to the now broken in chains some time after 12,000 miles to appreciate the difference.

I'll check them again at 24,000 and would not be surprised if they required no adjustment at that time.

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

Your photo begs the question:  what is the cardboard image (112510) of the jigs for?  I have the tools and the specific use for the "cartoon version" was never discussed during a Boxflyer Tech Session for Shift Cam motors.

:dontknow:

Very tidy drawer, I must say.   :grin:

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Your photo begs the question:  what is the cardboard image (112510) of the jigs for?  I have the tools and the specific use for the "cartoon version" was never discussed during a Boxflyer Tech Session for Shift Cam motors.

:dontknow:

Very tidy drawer, I must say.   :grin:

It comes with the factory tool.  No idea why.

• Plus 1 1

As Brad indicated . Peg board tool placement . Yamaha , and many others do the same for Shop tooling .  If you work machine shops you will also find things like this . 

c10 in a trainer jet california October 2018.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 8:27 AM, Boxflyer said:

...Announcement TOMORROW!

i-gM6vj8b-L.jpg  i-hwcTVMF-L.jpg 

Sorry for hacking this thread, but I want to say that the image on the right was captured at Brad's place and the photo on the left was taken elsewhere.   :whistle:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

Sorry for hacking this thread, but I want to say that the image on the right was captured at Brad's place and the photo on the left was taken elsewhere.   :whistle:

Are you saying the picture on the right displays evidence of “anal retentiveness” in how it’s setup? :spittake: Yup, a trait that makes for the best and most trusted mechanics! :yes: Probably makes for pretty good engineers and pilots also. ;)

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 5
MachineJoe
On 12/13/2023 at 8:26 PM, Boxflyer said:

It is supplied with factory tools so they can be added to the “Tool Wall”. 

image.thumb.png.0811d95fd4542e330fc9a0d8c754989e.png

By the looks of it, the purchase of that "tool wall" isn't working very well for that shop:5146:

• Smile 1
Motorhead1977

Perhaps that shop is so crazy busy that every tool is off the wall and in use? :5147::4323:

• Smile 1

Maybe the shop could only afford to buy the wall?

I guess the techs are expected to buy the tools needed?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, Boxflyer said:

Today....I transferred my inventory of Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools to a Full Fledged CNC Machine Shop for production.

Standby for further announcements as to when you can make orders and for fulfillment.

Here are the R1250 Cam Alignment Jigs...now Black Oxide coated for better protection.

Brad

i-gM6vj8b-XL.jpg

Wow! 

How does one sign-up to buy a set, Brad?

I'm new to this forum and sure am impressed at the wealth of info you provide on the R1250RT.

I have an excellent BMW dealer / lead-tech associate that will loan me a cam alignment jig but still is a hassle since I have moved...my one-way commute to work is now 250 miles (weekly) on some of the best Pacific NW roads for motorcycling and that's how I got into this shift-cam RT variant.

/Steve (Port Townsend, WA)

60Aviator
On 1/2/2024 at 5:52 PM, wbw6cos said:

William you always have a unique grab of the obvious! :3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1