IGNORED

Boxflyer Cam Timing Tool Kits NOW Available!

Boxflyer

Boxflyer

The New Year brings some exciting changes as it relates to the availability of my Cam Timing Tools and Kits. I’m pleased to announce the transition of production and availability of the Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools to fellow board member Joe Pilz! @MachineJoe

Joe is an avid BMW Rider, and along with his wife, participate regularly in BMWST events involving the bikes he enjoys.  We can look forward to spending time with them again at START '24. Joe has been owner and operator of Pilz Machine in N. Canton OH for 40 years. In his state-of-the-art facility, he has many precision machines, including 7 Haas CNC Machines.

Many of you may recall that Joe hosted me at a WetHead/ShiftHead Tech Day in the summer of 2022, where I performed complimentary Cam Timing and Valve Clearance checks for board members and others at his machine shop . What an “eye watering”  experience it was for me to see all of his massive CNC machines in person in his modern new facility.

The traditional Boxflyer Cam Timing Tools will remain basically the same with some small changes to improve them, and thanks to Joe, to a much greater degree of precision than I ever could in my garage. I will be consulting directly with him as he produces the specialty tools to check/adjust cam timing on 3 engine families of BMW Boxer engines, namely, CamHeads, WetHeads, and ShiftHeads. 

For those interested in the Boxflyer Kits, we think you'll find Joe's web interface much simpler to navigate and it will help me keep the cam alignment technical threads focused on best practices and procedural help and advice. 

https://www.pilzmachine.com/1250-shifthead

And stay tuned, as Joe and I will also be introducing Cam Alignment Tools for the R1200 CamHead series of engines.

I will continue support the tools that are represented and demonstrated in the Boxflyer YouTube series that covers their use...whether it is a CamHead, WetHead, or ShiftHead.

As usual I'll be at START 2024 in Newport Tennessee, AS WILL Joe and his wife.

@Boxflyer

Brad

i-9hSsMM5-L.png   i-p8fm4JJ.jpg

• Like 13
  • Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
MachineJoe

Thank you Brad for the time you've put into helping all of us learn more about our bikes through your videos and personal dialogue.

We will be keeping an ongoing inventory of tools as Brad has mentioned above.

Please feel free to contact me through PM or my website.

I'll reply as soon as possible with any questions you might have.

Edited by MachineJoe
  • Like 6
Skywagon

It would be really cool to sell to all the BMW dealers. There are multiple engineers per dealer….just saying…

Maybe send them a few on 30 day test before you buy. 

Boxflyer
8 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

It would be really cool to sell to all the BMW dealers.

Respectfully disagree.

The dealer network already has a complete set of tools to do the job...these are specifically created due to the shortage of tools shipped from BMW.

They are the LAST people that need to consume the resources being created here...

That was my intent from initial production of the DIY Cam Chain Tensioner.

It's a solution to a supply chain shortage for those individuals that want to re-establish the assembly line setting for the Cam Timing after initial break-in.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 3
Skywagon

Sorry Brad… I mis understood the intent. I just looked at your tool pictures and marvel at the high quality and design and thought it might be a way to turn a few profit dollars. Didn’t mean to step out of bounds. 

Boxflyer

Not a problem at all…

Wanted to clarify what the difference of direction in our thoughts were. 
Looking forward to seeing you at START ‘24. 
Brad

• Like 2

Great to see this venture take off addressing the shortage of the speciality tools.

In regards to purchasing them, what about payment options? Right now you can pay by cheque only. That rules out pretty much everybody from outside the U.S. Are you guys planning to add PayPal at least as an option? 

P.S. I did not realise cheques are still a thing in the U.S. We practically stopped using them years ago down this way... 

Cheques mean an electronic funds transfer directly from your bank account, which no way I'd do. They should allow use of credit cards, which is safe for everybody around the world (and add the fees).

Boxflyer

@Hati @JCtx

Pricing and purchase details are not appropriate in this thread...I am very conscience of Admin Rules and oversight. 

Shipping is still limited to a USA address due to individual country rules and regulations that make it prohibitive to comply with all the various differences.

Sorry if it feels like those of you that live in Australia are being treated unfairly, but I've had to treat shipments to dozens of International folks exactly the same.

Brad

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I mailed a check to Pilz Machining and the tools were promptly sent to me.  Very easy and quick. No fear buying them with a personal check or bank check. 

• Like 3
Motorhead1977
16 minutes ago, asudiver said:

I mailed a check to Pilz Machining and the tools were promptly sent to me.  Very easy and quick. No fear buying them with a personal check or bank check. 

FWIW, I've dealt with Joe (Pilz Machining) in the past and he's a stand up straight shooter guy. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
Scott9999

Guess I'm gonna wait it out on my European order, to see if they can at least come through with a status update.   They were ... ah... real encouraging, when they took my money.🙄😖  One of the four tools I ordered is in stock, but "backordered" on everything else. I don't need this stuff immediately, and already placed the order before Brad and Joe set his up.  So, maybe a couple of more weeks before I cancel and re-route $$$ Joe's way.   

• Like 1
MachineJoe

Guys,  

Thanks for the kind words and trust.

We are here as friends and that's the only way to treat friends.

• Like 3
MachineJoe
18 minutes ago, Scott9999 said:

Guess I'm gonna wait it out on my European order, to see if they can at least come through with a status update.   They were ... ah... real encouraging, when they took my money.🙄😖  One of the four tools I ordered is in stock, but "backordered" on everything else. I don't need this stuff immediately, and already placed the order before Brad and Joe set his up.  So, maybe a couple of more weeks before I cancel and re-route $$$ Joe's way.   

Hi Scott      I hope that your order comes through from Europe. If not, I'll be happy to ship you whatever you need.

Cheers

Edited by MachineJoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
softailfxstd

Will the service tools I have for my r1250rs work on the new r1300gs? 

RadioFlyer

1 hour ago, softailfxstd said:

And will the correct procedure ever be known now that BMW has discontinued the sale of service manuals?

Steve Mac

Thanks for letting me join this group, and Hi from the Gold Coast Australia. I have just discovered Boxflyer and would like to thank you very much for the fantastic work you have done.  I look after a few friends BMW's here using the MotoScan app and we do all our own servicing. 

Boxflyer
9 hours ago, softailfxstd said:

There’s not enough time with the new engine in circulation to know yet. 

It will take some proper R&D to come up with the right tooling for this critical procedure. 

When I have access to a new bike for an extended period of time, then the fabrication of new tools can begin, until then I don’t know the answer, but my guess is that the 1300 will require at least a different Cam Alignment Jig. 

Brad

• Like 2
Trash Hauler

Thanks Box Flyer and Joe. Just started the valve timing and clearances on my GSA.

TH

IMG_0425.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

• Like 1

I used the the Cam tension tool yesterday on a friends GS1250 . It worked well . Thank you . Camtimingtool12turns.thumb.jpg.8b7c70808ca7340c16118a85b4dfe411.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
BABABeemer
On 4/6/2024 at 6:35 PM, c10 said:

I used the the Cam tension tool yesterday on a friends GS1250 . It worked well . Thank you . Camtimingtool12turns.thumb.jpg.8b7c70808ca7340c16118a85b4dfe411.jpg

How many turns is required of the cam chain tensioner bolt to achieve the proper tension? TIA

2 hours ago, BABABeemer said:

How many turns is required of the cam chain tensioner bolt to achieve the proper tension?

You need to have it set to the sleeve, (42 mm) and then wind in 12 full turns.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hati said:

You need to have it set to the sleeve, (42 mm) and then wind in 12 full turns.

As you probably know, BMW quietly introduced a longer cam chain tensioner for the left side on 1250s I think in 2022. I didn't notice the difference in noise from left to right side until I read about that change, since I always wear ear plugs. But when I went for a short ride without ear plugs, the left side was making a racket compared to the right side when hot, and I only have 3,500 miles on my bike. I ordered the $150 updated tensioner (with a 19mm hex head, vs 17 for both OEM ones), and now it's the quietest boxer I've ever heard, and equally silent on both sides. Just curious if those 12 full turns take into account the longer 19mm-head tensioner introduced later, or it doesn't really matter. It was obvious that the original 17mm-head tensioner wasn't long enough on the left side for proper tension, so that might affect the timing, no? Just curious. Maybe BoxFlyer could comment on that too. Thanks guys.

Boxflyer

12 turns is the same for both the 1200 and 1250. 
The redesign of the LH operating Cam Chain Tensioner is for when the engine is running and the use of the tools is a different application. 
This has been verified during design and development for the Boxflyer DIY CCT Tool to work the same as the OEM tool. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

Thank you very much for replying, BoxFlyer; greatly appreciated. So 12 turns on BOTH L/R sides, and on both 1200 and 1250 wetheads. Got it:classic_biggrin:. Thanks again.