IGNORED

Latest news on the 1300GS

RTinNC

7 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Plastic?  Gotta keep it light, I reckon.

Yeah, I’ve had pretty good luck with my plastic Varios until this summer when I broke a mounting tab after hitting a rut up in Maine. :dontknow: I think, if the money is going to be spent, I’m going that little extra for the aluminum bags. 

Since BMW has an option for central locking on those new plastic Vario style cases, I'm guessing they're going to be pushing those over aluminum.  Maybe when the GS Adventure version comes out next year they'll have an aluminum bag option.

• Like 2

Someone say GSA? :classic_biggrin: I’d rather have the range and the protection bars standard, but, along with that comes heft. :dontknow:

I think this is the GSA in disguise. See the bars on the right side? 

image.jpeg.11bd526b0a6754adbd51df11ba27febc.jpeg

• Like 1
On 9/30/2023 at 10:58 AM, wbw6cos said:

Plastic?  Gotta keep it light, I reckon.

Actually, the plastic Vario Bags weigh more than my metal Jesse Bags. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Chris K said:

Actually, the plastic Vario Bags weigh more than my metal Jesse Bags. 

So, you’re saying “plastic isn’t so fantastic”? :classic_biggrin:

Plastic bags and Vario bags specifically are fine but my only issue with them was I carry a lot of “stuff” all the time ,  tools, air compressor etc. and I could not fine a way to keep that kit from falling out when the bags were not fully loaded.  I like the clean look of the Vario bags. 

• Like 1

I read a piece that said the new GS will have a wet clutch or put another way an integrated transmission like most of the BMW line has now.  Personally I like the dry clutch and for me it was always something I liked about BMW and I greatly appreciate about my '93 R1100RSL.  Don't know if this has been addressed in an earlier post on this thread since I haven't read all the posts.  Actually it wouldn't do any good to cry about it anyway because it is what it is and in my case I'll never own a new BMW anyway for many reasons too numerous to even think about.

Don't mind the wet clutch on my FJR and it certainly is easy to service if the need ever arises.  One day I removed the clutch pack just for grins.  Was simple to do and would only set one back around $150 to replace it if the need to do so ever presents itself so no complaints.  Would cost around $300 to upgrade the clutch to the new easy pull slipper clutch if one had a desire to do so.  I personally don't.

1 hour ago, JamesW said:

I read a piece that said the new GS will have a wet clutch or put another way an integrated transmission like most of the BMW line has now.  Personally I like the dry clutch and for me it was always something I liked about BMW and I greatly appreciate about my '93 R1100RSL.  Don't know if this has been addressed in an earlier post on this thread since I haven't read all the posts.  Actually it wouldn't do any good to cry about it anyway because it is what it is and in my case I'll never own a new BMW anyway for many reasons too numerous to even think about.

Don't mind the wet clutch on my FJR and it certainly is easy to service if the need ever arises.  One day I removed the clutch pack just for grins.  Was simple to do and would only set one back around $150 to replace it if the need to do so ever presents itself so no complaints.  Would cost around $300 to upgrade the clutch to the new easy pull slipper clutch if one had a desire to do so.  I personally don't.

Interesting…. I was happy to have a wet clutch, no separate, gearbox fluid, extremely less expensive to repair or replace if needed and no smelling of the burning clutch in traffic. Of course, when they made the clutch replacement simpler, they bury the stater which is now the new high cost repair

1 hour ago, JamesW said:

The Boxers have had a wet clutch since 2013, sans the R9Ts

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BerettaRacer said:

Mmmm, no comments on the "Flux Capacitor" headlight??? LOL

Sometimes I say, wow BMW you really messed this one up! :classic_angry: Then approximately two or more (depending on how bad it was) years later, I start seeing things I like about the design. So far, nothing on this new bike has made me want to throw up. :spittake:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

Mmmm, no comments on the "Flux Capacitor" headlight??? LOL

Uh, yep

fourteenfour

who care if she is ugly, with a helmet on no one will know your the rider and best of all you don't need to see her face when riding her

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

who care if she is ugly, with a helmet on no one will know your the rider and best of all you don't need to see her face when riding her

Well, I like looking down at the top of her head,......so does it really matter what the rest of her looks like.

2024 BMW Motorrad R1300GS - 117 - Paul Tan's Automotive News

• Like 1

Sometimes, it’s wise to check out the undercarriage. :read: I think this was the picture that sold me my first GS! :yes:

image.jpeg.d92518d82e4464fca78b7d33c2a2323b.jpeg

• Like 1

You should always check the undercarriage for anything that's loose or leaking, both are signs of overuse and lack of maintenance.

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
13 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

It’s a GS so it’s a love it or hate it thing

On 10/2/2023 at 5:57 PM, RTinNC said:

Plastic bags and Vario bags specifically are fine but my only issue with them was I carry a lot of “stuff” all the time ,  tools, air compressor etc. and I could not fine a way to keep that kit from falling out when the bags were not fully loaded.  I like the clean look of the Vario bags. 

I screwed a piece of thin luan plywood at the back of the exhaust side vario, leaving about three inches of space at the top. All my tools fit behind the plywood so even if the bags are otherwise empty the tools stay safely in place. It’s also a good use of the curved space above the exhaust. The tools are easy to get to, especially if I pull the handle forward if not yet expanded. 

Yup …. I tried a lot of options and had one bag pretty set but the other never worked.  My dealer gave me a killer deal on Zega Pro cases and I love them.  Easy and simple on and off and top loading.  And I know a lot of guys complain about the bare aluminum inside but I’ve never had an issue.  

• chrisolson unfeatured this topic
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Nothing to Prove is impressed with the bike, the quick shifter to be more specific.

I'm a big fan of his reviews.   He is usually dead on . 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

my local dealer is having a BMW led 1300GS intro next week - RSVP were sent out the last day you could RSVP :P 

Not I am interested in a GS but I will certainly look at an RT again if it gets that new suspension. my RT problem was that the bike has always been too tall for me at normal seat height but when using the seat in its lower position or combined with the low seat the bike is just to cramped. My favorite RT was the low suspension model as it just had good space for me and the assurance of being able to always flat foot the bike

Just took a peek at this Tiger 900. It’s a 23 model, the 24s’ have been updated some but they haven’t arrived here yet.

I guess what I was trying to figure out is if a BMW is worth close to 10K more than this bike… :dontknow: 900cc to 1300cc yup there’s that, but the overall mission of the two bikes are the same. IDK, I’ll have to see the new GS sometime this winter.

I love a torquey motor and I know which one has way more so, there’s that also. :revit:

IMG_4426.thumb.jpeg.b6fcca2c86aeacacd39f50fc0311a0d0.jpeg

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Just took a peek at this Tiger 900. It’s a 23 model, the 24s’ have been updated some but they haven’t arrived here yet.

I guess what I was trying to figure out is if a BMW is worth close to 10K more than this bike… :dontknow: 900cc to 1300cc yup there’s that, but the overall mission of the two bikes are the same. IDK, I’ll have to see the new GS sometime this winter.

I love a torquey motor and I know which one has way more so, there’s that also. :revit:

For me the touring comfort is the distinguishing factor for a big ADV bike. I have never ridden a Tiger but I do know that I can ride my GS on the highway doing 75mph all day long if needed, and in the rain and cold. It may not be my favorite thing to do, but it gets me to and from places I want to visit, to remote areas with awesome gravel roads or moderate off-road in enough comfort and safety, and then excels off pavement all over again.

I look at the frontal cross-section of the bike in this picture you posted and I imagine that the wind and weather protection is just not quite there. The horsepower I don’t care so much about. 900cc would be plenty for me. The new GS certainly seems perfect, from all I have read. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I took a quick test spin on the outgoing model and loved it.  With my short legs it felt a little top heavy at stops, but that was my only complaint.  Motor was great.

At the same event, I immediately followed up by test riding an F850GS and it felt like a hunk of junk compared to the Tiger.  I'm not saying it is junk, just that I should've ridden the bikes in opposite order and was spoiled by the Tiger.  No off-roading on the test, all street so your YMMV there.

If I was shopping for a bike today, the outgoing and incoming Tiger 900's would be on my short list.

• Thanks 1

I test rode an 800 Tiger for a couple miles down a dirt road one time. I was impressed also, especially after hoping back on my farm tractor 1200 GS. :spittake: It truly took me ten miles to adjust back to the boxer motor. After that adjustment period, life was good again. :dontknow: 

• Like 2

Well they made the 2024 Tiger 900 in the right color anyway. :spittake: And yeah, I know this is the R 1300 GS thread but I’m just looking for an alternative if they push the 1300 up near the 30K mark with panniers. :jaw:
Nice
image.thumb.jpeg.3ca958260b5dc45a708eb3e01a249d86.jpeg

On 11/19/2023 at 6:48 PM, TEWKS said:

I test rode an 800 Tiger for a couple miles down a dirt road one time. I was impressed also, especially after hoping back on my farm tractor 1200 GS. :spittake: It truly took me ten miles to adjust back to the boxer motor. After that adjustment period, life was good again. :dontknow: 

17 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Well they made the 2024 Tiger 900 in the right color anyway. :spittake: And yeah, I know this is the R 1300 GS thread but I’m just looking for an alternative if they push the 1300 up near the 30K mark with panniers. :jaw:
Nice

It’s meant to be tempting Pat, it's your job not to succumb : ) hey the new 900GS and 900Adv come in black too.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/bmw-debuts-more-powerful-and-lighter-f900gs-for-2024/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Nice

The twin radiators are doin' it for me! Triumph has really made the whole Tiger line more appealing.

• Like 1

He doesn’t sound like he has an axe to grind with BMW, he’s just not thoroughly impressed with some aspects of the new bike. :dontknow: