IGNORED

Latest news on the 1300GS

RTinNC

8 hours ago, Red said:

Radar unit?  Is it going to have hazard avoidance & auto breaking? 

It’s going to have smart cruise, and I believe it may have Blindspot monitoring, very similar to what the Ducati multi-Strada has

• chrisolson featured this topic

Totally agree!  Even more so with blind spot monitoring.  Riding a motorcycle is not a passive process and you better be actively engaging your surroundings.

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

So what's our opinion on the bike overall. That silver plastic piece with GS on it is very annoying. There are no flowing lines anywhere. Bags look smaller. The focus on compactness mighgt be at the expense of maintenance. I'd like to see it in person before judging it any further.

Triple black with engine bars, black aluminum panniers, smoked out windscreen and some adventure pegs (wide) might convince me but to tell you the truth, i’m not getting an overwhelming feeling of “I NEED THAT BIKE RIGHT NOW”! :P

edit…maybe tomorrow. :D

54 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

A walk around.

OK ... I did not expect to like this as much as I do !!  WOW !!  ....love the power windshield and that green with gold wheels is very nice!   So there may be one of these in my future after all! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ron-M said:

I wonder if they will be on display at Barber during BMW Motorrad Days.  

YES ... that is the plan!   Can't wait to see it in person! 

I saw no mention anywhere of aluminum cases. It seems it’s just a new version of vario cases, with interior lights, USB ports and optional central locking. Capacities of those new cases are noticeably less than the tried and true aluminum cases. 

146 hp and 109 lb-ft of torque. And, it’s 26 lb. lighter (with standard equipment).

Also, fuel tank is slightly smaller (19L vs. 20L).  Range will be reduced, as fuel consumption is up very marginally (that’s consumption, not mileage).

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

I saw no mention anywhere of aluminum cases. It seems it’s just a new version of vario cases, with interior lights, USB ports and optional central locking. Capacities of those new cases are noticeably less than the tried and true aluminum cases. 

146 hp and 109 lb-ft of torque. And, it’s 26 lb. lighter (with standard equipment).

Also, fuel tank is slightly smaller (19L vs. 20L).  Range will be reduced, as fuel consumption is up very marginally (that’s consumption, not mileage).

I was wondering the same .... Only the plastic bags?   The look nice but I am not a fan of side loading bags and of course plastic bags not as durable as aluminum.  But I am running Zega Pros now and love them and Touratech is working on a ton of farkles so if BMW does not make what you want I am sure the aftermarket will. 

To me it seems they reached back a few generations and found their beak. :dontknow: Of course stuffing that new light into the center of it. Just my initial impression of the shape, anyway.

image.thumb.jpeg.d55b7c9118dd03231a53a34fd0c15ac8.jpeg

This is interesting, from the BMW press material:  "The centrepiece is once again the legendary two-cylinder boxer engine. Its new design is more compact than ever before thanks to a gearbox located under the engine and a new camshaft drive arrangement."

5 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

I like the l300. Hard to beat the simple beauty of the ll50 though. 

IMG_0925.JPG

009.JPG

My first new bike ever was a 2002 1150GS.  Loved that bike but the 1300 sure looks sexy.  I wish it had a bit of the simplicity of the 1150 though.

i-wfDzgcS-XL.jpg

• Like 2

I keep seeing words like beauty and sexy being bandied about with these bikes.

Um, no. Not words to be used when talking about any GS.

Rugged, capable, well-sorted, sure.

Sexy? No.

• Like 1

Well the GS bikes never really came with Alu cases. That has always been the GSA models. They will not be introducing the replacement GSA, The R1400GSA until next year. 

I like the green color GS, and I think the rectangle black plastic plate is a great place to mount some real headlights. I am sure Clear Water and Twisted Trottle already have some flood lights ready to bolt to that platform.

• Like 1

But, you could buy the racks and aluminum cases to go on a GS. Did not have to be a GSA. The GSA came with the racks already installed, but the cases themselves were optional.

• Like 2

I'm trying to figure out the lack of a brake light.  Looks like its just the rear turn signals doing double duty as red for brake or tail light.  Not sure that will be allowed in the U.S.

Interesting they have copied the best feature on the Harley bike, the suspension lowers when stopped. I wonder how much lower it can be from the base seat height of 33.4.  Bring that feature to the RT and I may just be back on one.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BrianT said:

I'm trying to figure out the lack of a brake light.  Looks like its just the rear turn signals doing double duty as red for brake or tail light.  Not sure that will be allowed in the U.S.

Hmm nice catch ... I did not notice that but it appears you are correct.   I guess that will pass muster in the US.

ScreenShot2023-09-28at9_19_37PM.png.5931fd17bfa1ce18fbb88c1f09de37c1.png

18 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

Hmm nice catch ... I did not notice that but it appears you are correct.   I guess that will pass muster in the US.

ScreenShot2023-09-28at9_19_37PM.png.5931fd17bfa1ce18fbb88c1f09de37c1.png

Harley's been doing it for quite a few years.

Just now, Hosstage said:

Harley's been doing it for quite a few years.

Yup and cars are doing similar with signals.    I am not a fan of less lighting and prefer big a$$ turn signals and brake lights. 

• Like 1

I also prefer a center mounted brake light, whether used in conjunction with turn signal brake lights or not. There's a reason cars must have a High Mount Center Stop Light along with the standard brake lights.

On my HD I did put smaller turn signals on the front, but kept the big orange OEM turn signals and stock brake light on the rear.

I like the look of the front turn signals in the hand guards, but can see that being a huge durability issue. Typically BMW hand guards are pretty flimsy items, even a minor drop could mean a busted light.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

I also prefer a center mounted brake light, whether used in conjunction with turn signal brake lights or not. There's a reason cars must have a High Mount Center Stop Light along with the standard brake lights.

On my HD I did put smaller turn signals on the front, but kept the big orange OEM turn signals and stock brake light on the rear.

Morning  Hosstage

I'm kind of thinking that when we see the motorcycle in person that center blacked-out area will light up as a tail light then get brighter as a brake light. 

There positively needs to be a light in the center to light up the license plate & BMW likes to combine the license plate light & tail light in one assembly. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, EdM said:

I like the look of the front turn signals in the hand guards, but can see that being a huge durability issue. Typically BMW hand guards are pretty flimsy items, even a minor drop could mean a busted light.

Yes .... that seems like more of a "touring" feature for pavement.   I am sure replacing them will not be cheap. 

But then I am a 95% pavement guy so works for me.  

19 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Hosstage

I'm kind of thinking that when we see the motorcycle in person that center blacked-out area will light up as a tail light then get brighter as a brake light. 

There positively needs to be a light in the center to light up the license plate & BMW likes to combine the license plate light & tail light in one assembly. 

Negative the center rear is the rear facing radar.  It does not have a dedicated brake light.  The turn signals are multifunctional like the S1000 and the M1000 bikes.  Look at those they do not have a center brake light either.

Take a look at A Bike Thing, they just debuted a Weiser Technik module to help make the multifunctional rear turn signals perform better.

16 hours ago, BrianT said:

So how does braking and turning work? One light will be solid and the turning light will be blinking? This seems like a dangerous idea. I've seen similar setups on a Jeep Grand Cherokee where the front headlight turns off while the turn signal is on. It makes no sense as it gives reduced lighting in the turn at night. The government really needs to come up with basic lighting minimums that make sense. And bring back the yellow/amber turn signal at the rear for improved visibility.

8 minutes ago, AviP said:

So how does braking and turning work? One light will be solid and the turning light will be blinking? This seems like a dangerous idea. I've seen similar setups on a Jeep Grand Cherokee where the front headlight turns off while the turn signal is on. It makes no sense as it gives reduced lighting in the turn at night. The government really needs to come up with basic lighting minimums that make sense. And bring back the yellow/amber turn signal at the rear for improved visibility.

Morning  AviP

As TSConver just pointed out they are "multifunctional" basically a light within a light. I didn't catch the multifunctional part when I looked at some of the 1300 GS rear lighting pictures.  

Go up 2 posts then click on the play button on the video TSConver posted, that shows the rear light in operation. 

I agree the turn signal is lost with included inside the brake light.  That is the case on a lot of newer cars as well.  The one that comes to mind is the Mini Cooper where the amber signal is surrounded by the red brake light.  When the brake light is on you lose the amber turn signal.  I hate that design.   I like the addition of the Weiser dongle. 

1 hour ago, AviP said:

I've seen similar setups on a Jeep Grand Cherokee where the front headlight turns off while the turn signal is on.

Is this with the headlights on, or just the daytime running lights? I've not noticed it at night with lights on, but have seen it often on DRLs.