IGNORED

Ultra1 Plus 4T Oil

RTmutter

1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

..an addition annual cost of $63 per year for the peace of mind using a quality product. ...

I think we are all on board with that sentiment.  The question is, "Is Ultra1Plus a quality product?"  And if we discover that the answer is "yes," then we could redirect that $63 to buying farkles instead.

I spent some few minutes researching Ultra1Plus, and discovered some favorable information: they are not new to the lubrication industry, they blend their oil in the USA, they have a self-reported "new state-of-the-art" facility, and (I think) they source some of their raw stock from Venezuela.  One might have an ideological aversion to oil from Venezuela, but I think the oil itself is high quality.  Their claim is that they study the motorcycle market and choose additive packages based on feedback and experience.  All that sounds reasonable to me.  If I could find a single quart of the 5w-40 JASO MA2 oil, I would buy it and send it to Blackstone for an analysis just because I am curious.  Unfortunately, they seem to sell the 5w-40 in 5-gallon buckets.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, NewportCycle said:

The shiftcam is much different than a VTEC engine, NO hydraulic cam phasers, it uses an electronic solenoid to shift cam position. 

The use of two cam lobe profiles are exactly the same. Although Honda's came first.

What actuates them is different. 

Me, I will always take the antiquated hydraulic lifters.  Just me.

4 hours ago, Cap said:

I think we are all on board with that sentiment.  The question is, "Is Ultra1Plus a quality product?"  And if we discover that the answer is "yes," then we could redirect that $63 to buying farkles instead.

I spent some few minutes researching Ultra1Plus, and discovered some favorable information: they are not new to the lubrication industry, they blend their oil in the USA, they have a self-reported "new state-of-the-art" facility, and (I think) they source some of their raw stock from Venezuela.  One might have an ideological aversion to oil from Venezuela, but I think the oil itself is high quality.  Their claim is that they study the motorcycle market and choose additive packages based on feedback and experience.  All that sounds reasonable to me.  If I could find a single quart of the 5w-40 JASO MA2 oil, I would buy it and send it to Blackstone for an analysis just because I am curious.  Unfortunately, they seem to sell the 5w-40 in 5-gallon buckets.

I just called Josh at Blackstone regarding an analysis on a sample of virgin oil, as I have 5 unopened gallons currently sitting in the garage.

He explained that they can test a sample and compare it to the data they already have on file for Ultra1Plus and send me the results. I replied that since my sample is new, and it will no doubt match their data, why don't I just ask if the oil is worth a damn and save us the hassle? He said that he can only release data after a customer pays for the information by submitting a sample. I then said that since my sample is new, why don't they charge the card I already have on file $35 and just give me the data over the phone, saving me the hassle of mailing in the sample in the first place? :)

Well, I got an 'A' for effort (and a good chuckle,) but he said that I'd still need to follow established procedures. (Grab one of my Blackstone mailers I keep here and mail it in.)

So even though I'll lose the savings on my first oil change, I do plan on many more, so I'll send in a sample of this new oil and post the results after they respond.

(Taking one for the team :) )

Dave

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Stiggy said:

... I'll send in a sample of this new oil and post the results after they respond...

Great.  I wrote to Ultra1Plus customer service, and asked them to send me a free sample of their JASO MA2 5w-40... just enough to send to Blackstone.  I will let you know what they respond.

• Like 3

I am very curios as to what the samples come back like. 

New oil should be strait additive package and quantity.

I guess then a 6000 mile test would be good.  Better from a bike with test history from Blackstone. 

Nice of you guys to do and share.  We appreciate it.

• Like 1

Stiggy and Cap:

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort to look further into this oil. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. It should be interesting whatever the results may be.

I used Ultra1Plus in our Merc GL350 turbodiesel for several years. Huge savings over the crap MB wanted me to use and they formulated specifically for the intended use. No issues at all although it got more difficult to find during Covid.......:thumbsup:

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

I used Ultra1Plus in our Merc GL350 turbodiesel for several years. Huge savings over the crap MB wanted me to use and they formulated specifically for the intended use. No issues at all although it got more difficult to find during Covid.......:thumbsup:

I suspect that we'll have similar findings with the bikes regarding Ultra 1 Plus

(Full disclosure, I retired the HD Road Glide at 172,000 miles, running mostly Mobil 1 15W-50 car oil ($25 / 5 qts,), and not their special ($$) $14 / qt "V Twin" oil (Harley's run a separate clutch,) and I never had to split the cases - Still strong at the end.

Oil companies often prey upon conscientious owners that only want the 'best' for their machines. (JMHO.)

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Our biggest issue is clutch compatibility.

I also used Mobil 1 in my Yamaha 10 FJR, my 05 Road Glide, and my 03 Sportster.  Never an issue. 

The bastard 5W - 40W killed that quick. 

I just have no ambition to replace a clutch over the wrong oil, but at least we can get to is pretty easy.

Liqui Moly all the way now, just because.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LAF said:

Our biggest issue is clutch compatibility

Best I can tell is sometime in the later 90’s standard multi viscosity  oils started to contain friction reducing additives and that drove the JASO MA requirement for engines using a single bath including a wet clutch. Throw in squeezing more horsepower out of these small motors and emission standards it all added up to some very specific demands on the oil which resulted in motorcycle specific oils.  I am sticking with the 5W-40 multi weight with JASO MA2 regardless of branding for my Wethead.   My Oilhead still runs great on good old dinosaur 20W-50 no JASO spec required

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
On 8/31/2023 at 2:03 PM, Cap said:

...I wrote to Ultra1Plus customer service, and asked them to send me a free sample of their JASO MA2 5w-40... just enough to send to Blackstone.  ...

Here is what I got back... complete with typos from an unsigned account at Ultra1Plus customer service:

Hello Cap

We love bike Comminutes and we are glad to hear that you are taking a liking to our products.

At the current time we only have this prodcut in 5 Gallons. So we don’t have a way of sending a few once’s in a sealed original package. How about you buy the 5 gallon pail and if you don’t like what you see. We can return it on us.  How does that sound??? Please let us know.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Oil analysis returned.

Blackstone Labs emailed the results for the 'virgin' sample of Ultra 1 Plus that I sent them about 3 weeks back. See attached.

In my note to them I explained the JASO MA2 concerns as it's not listed on the label, ending with "Having a wet clutch BMW R1200RT, is this oil suitable?"

They wrote me a short paragraph in the report regarding their findings and by all indications stated "This oil should work well in its intended application."

So I think that I've got my next 4 oil changes 'in the can.' :)

Next change is a couple of months out and will advise.....

Scan_20230925.png

• Thanks 2

Stiggy,

Thank you for sending in a sample and sharing the results. Very much looking forward to the next report with mileage on the oil. I'm not sure how to interpret the numbers I'm looking at but I plan on taking some time to educate myself on what they mean. Hopefully after the next report the bottom line question can be answered - Is the Ultra 1 Plus oil as good or better than some of the other engine oils typically used in the Wetheads (oils which seem to me to be grossly overpriced at this point in time).

3 hours ago, RTmutter said:

Stiggy,

Thank you for sending in a sample and sharing the results. Very much looking forward to the next report with mileage on the oil. I'm not sure how to interpret the numbers I'm looking at but I plan on taking some time to educate myself on what they mean. Hopefully after the next report the bottom line question can be answered - Is the Ultra 1 Plus oil as good or better than some of the other engine oils typically used in the Wetheads (oils which seem to me to be grossly overpriced at this point in time).

I appreciate the thanks :)

I am also learning what the numbers mean and will go with the "standard additive package" that Blackstone references as to as all the additives that should be in there are indeed in there, for the time being.

What I purchased from Blackstone above the standard oil test however was the 'TBN' rating ( mine's at 6.6,) which indicates how long the oil will last in the engine. From what I've read, anything over '6' is good. (Acid reducer.)

What I intend to do is pull a few ounces at 3,000 miles and send that in, and depending upon what they report, maybe another at oil change time (6,000.) That's the measure of value with a bargain priced oil IMO, everything else being the same. (Clearly, I'm betting that it will bring good results.)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 1:01 PM, RTmutter said:

The cost for 6 quarts of Castrol Power1 5W-40 oil  has shot up to $75.99 on Amazon (about 50% increase). I came across a new product that I have not seen before. It is Ultra1 Plus 4T 5W-40 oil at a cost of $125 for a 5 gallon pail (https://www.amazon.com/Ultra1Plus-5W-40-Full-Synthetic-Engine/dp/B08FF56X1L?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1).

The label says it exceeds the performance requirements for API SN and JASO MA2. I'm curious if anyone has used this product and what their thoughts are.

Amazon has it on sales for $63.52, sure that could change at anytime... 

click here

Thanks for the heads up!   That's about the same as O'Reilly and I don't need to drive 12 miles each way to get it. 

Funny the Ultra1 stuff in the 5 gal pail does not seem to come in quarts but their other viscosities do come in quarts. 

I like the simplicity of Castrol and the quart bottles.  

On 8/13/2023 at 10:38 AM, Bernie said:

Interesting that reading the specs for both LiquiMoly 5w40 oils, only the Street version mentions that it is safe for Catalytic Converter. There is also a big price difference. 

The spec for the race version currently says "ideal with catalytic converters" at https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/us/motorbike-4t-synth-5w-40-street-race-p000261.html#tab-label-approvalsandspecifications-title

• Like 1

Ultra Plus 1, is at $6.30/ quart landed ($125.36)for the 5 gallon bucket. I think I'll  buy a 5 gallon jug and change oil every 3000 miles and the filter every 6.

$15.62/quart landed for liquimoly is too much, even though I just bought two gallons. 

If the current thinking for shiftcams and wetheads is to change oil every 3k to avoid cam wear, I'll try the ultra plus 1.  It can't get too dirty at 3k.

Thoughts??

14 minutes ago, duckhawk64 said:

Ultra Plus 1, is at $6.30/ quart landed ($125.36)for the 5 gallon bucket. I think I'll  buy a 5 gallon jug and change oil every 3000 miles and the filter every 6.

$15.62/quart landed for liquimoly is too much, even though I just bought two gallons. 

If the current thinking for shiftcams and wetheads is to change oil every 3k to avoid cam wear, I'll try the ultra plus 1.  I can't get too dirty at 3k.

Thoughts??

I also bought the 5 gallon Ultra Plus 1, and at 3,000 miles I'll be submitting another sample to Blackstone Labs to see how the oil is holding up. (See post previously on oil life / TBN rating.) Best of all worlds, it's good for the full 6,000 miles too :)

Another benefit on the side, if there's a cam wear issue as on only some motorcycles, the oil test results should indicate as much.

• Thanks 1

Right, that's the best part. With your, hopefully good results, we'll have some data behind the decision. Thanks for the testing.  Now, let's see how long the 5 gallon price lasts. $125.36 amazon today. 5 gallons will last me 2.5 years. Unless I make the trip East to a Boxflyer tech event. 

5 hours ago, Red said:

Stiggy, really looking forward to seeing your results.  3000 mi on syn oil seems overly cautious.

It is, but I am hoping to get a reading for a full 6,000 miles from the 3,000 analysis too. "Will this oil last for the full interval (6,000) based on what we see at 3,000?" is the note I'll leave with the sample. If I get good results, I don't see the need to do a 6,000 mile analysis, so consider it early, but not necessarily wasted money.

(The motor will have 21,000 on it at that time, and I'm hoping to see low/no iron content due to cam wear as well. (2 birds.))

Dave