IGNORED

R1300GS

MikeB60

7 hours ago, RTinNC said:

WOW ... now THAT guy seems smitten with the 1300GS.  I agree with him about not liking the lack of a dedicated tail light and no illuminated switchgear.  I very rarely ride at night but recently on my way home from Barber it was a 445 mile day on a lot of backroads and I got home at 8:00 PM in the dark.  I was a pain not having backlit switchgear.  Heck that is now offered on a lot of mid-size bikes so why not on a "premium" BMW?   It also does seem that the menu set up is quite complicated. 

Not really lighted switchgear per se but I did add a red led under my radar detector tray that is connected to the aux port so turns on/off with the bike.  Not perfect but works well.

IMG_20230129_072248.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

“Tramuntana” in English means Trauma to your wallet. :spittake: This green color and some trinkets adds $3,200 bucks to the price. I thought I liked the green but then those gold wheels started poking on me again, now, I see you can still cause Trauma to your wallet with the black wheel option! :yes:

image.thumb.jpeg.3355c003286ce2262c969e16bae3bc71.jpeg

• Like 4
Dennis Andress
15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

“Tramuntana” in English means Trauma to your wallet. :spittake: This green color and some trinkets adds $3,200 bucks to the price. I thought I liked the green but then those gold wheels started poking on me again, now, I see you can still cause Trauma to your wallet with the black wheel option! :yes:

image.thumb.jpeg.3355c003286ce2262c969e16bae3bc71.jpeg

Purdy...

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Yeah, not a fan of that oil filter.  Just another gasket you're going to have to buy with the kit.  I'd say more messy than the current setup.  But I guess since it doesn't stick out, less of a road hazard possibilities?

I'm guessing the 2 oil drains are one for the main engine area, and probably for the bottom of the trans area.  BMW was keen on noting how the transmission is now "integrated in the rear" of the engine.  So a second drain for that area would make sense.

• Like 1

If the second drain is anything like the K1600 it's a royal PITA. The oil tank is on the bottom of the engine with one drain plug while the access to the second plug is at the bottom of the engine. You access the second plug through the drain hole in the oil tank. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

If the second drain is anything like the K1600 it's a royal PITA. The oil tank is on the bottom of the engine with one drain plug while the access to the second plug is at the bottom of the engine. You access the second plug through the drain hole in the oil tank. 

In watching the video it looks like the 2nd drain plug is close to the main plug and pretty easy to access.  BUT it’s a different size so another size crush washer and wrench required.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, RTinNC said:

In watching the video it looks like the 2nd drain plug is close to the main plug and pretty easy to access.  BUT it’s a different size so another size crush washer and wrench required.

Thanks! That's doable.

54 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Thinking that the plugs should be the same size so that mixing them up is not a big deal.   :dontknow:

Well it appears the genius engineers at the mother ship think otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well no surprise here the 1300GS was names Motorcyclist's Motorcycle of the year!   I love how they say "and with a price of around $20,000 ... HA !!  Yeah if you get one without ANY features. 

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news/bmw-r-1300-gs-motorcycle-of-the-year/?utm_source=Motorcyclist+MC&utm_campaign=7b98a2ea76-MCY_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_010224&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_723c775ac4-7b98a2ea76-453382761

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, 92Merc said:

Yeah, not a fan of that oil filter.  Just another gasket you're going to have to buy with the kit.  I'd say more messy than the current setup.  But I guess since it doesn't stick out, less of a road hazard possibilities?

I'm guessing the 2 oil drains are one for the main engine area, and probably for the bottom of the trans area.  BMW was keen on noting how the transmission is now "integrated in the rear" of the engine.  So a second drain for that area would make sense.

My old Yamaha ATV had same oil filter cover, with same style filter under, in almost as crappy of a location.  I would laugh if it was the same filter too. 

RandyShields

Here's a good riding comparison of a 1200 GS (by a 10-year owner) to the new 1300, asking the question whether one should upgrade.  He walks through what he doesn't like about the new bike, what he does like, and what is growing on him.  I don't think this video has been posted here yet, but apologies if this is a repeat.

3 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Here's a good riding comparison of a 1200 GS (by a 10-year owner) to the new 1300, asking the question whether one should upgrade.  He walks through what he doesn't like about the new bike, what he does like, and what is growing on him.  I don't think this video has been posted here yet, but apologies if this is a repeat.

Very good video so thanks Randy for sharing.  After watching the entire video, I would tend to agree with the reviewer on most counts. Absolutely no doubt the 1300 GS is an amazing bike and if I were shopping for a new bike, it would certainly be on the top of my list. However, much like the reviewer I currently own a 2018 1200 GS which I absolutely love, has only 24k mikes, and is set up perfectly for me. Back when I purchased my 2018 GS my primary reasons for moving away from my 2012 GSA was the 2018 had

electronic cruise, shift assist And the TFT feature. Those were changes and upgrades offered on the 2018 which my current bike did not have. For me I don’t see enough features on the 1300 that I absolutely want or need which might drive me to make a change. In fact, somewhat the opposite , I prefer my 2018 with a bit less electronic technology, such as the front and rear radar sensors, controlling things like cruise, Blindspot monitoring, etc. As the reviewer noted the new bike certainly has more power is a bit lighter and is said to handle better …. my current  1200 GS has all the power I need, handles better than any bike I’ve owned and is all day comfortable. So for me personally I’m not seeing where spending an additional $20,000 to move to a 1300 would provide me $20,000 of improvement . But like all things motorcycling, it’s a personal choice and the 1300 certainly is an amazing motorcycle. 

Thanks again for sharing this comparison video. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Das Motorrad is reporting in today’s weekly news that the GS1300 is having a fire danger problem with the starter system. And they have issued a stop sale for the moment. 

Bei der neuen BMW R 1300 GS kommt es zu seltsamen und gefährlichen technischen Fehlfunktionen bis hin zu Bränden. Auslöser: das Starter-Relais. Maßnahmen von BMW: Ausliefersperren und eine "Service-Aktion" – also der erste Rückruf für die neue R 1300 GS.

9 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Das Motorrad is reporting in today’s weekly news that the GS1300 is having a fire danger problem with the starter system. And they have issued a stop sale for the moment. 

Bei der neuen BMW R 1300 GS kommt es zu seltsamen und gefährlichen technischen Fehlfunktionen bis hin zu Bränden. Auslöser: das Starter-Relais. Maßnahmen von BMW: Ausliefersperren und eine "Service-Aktion" – also der erste Rückruf für die neue R 1300 GS.

Scheisse...

• Like 1

Reading the article, it seems that the starter relay has activated itself while the bike was parked, causing the overheating  and fire danger. Both test vehicles had to have the battery disconnected, before the units caught fire, were in use by German and Austrian magazines.

Fire Danger for R1300GS

• Sad 1
marcopolo

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new 2023 1250GS. I considered ordering a 1300GS, but opted for the 1250, for a number of reasons. 

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...

Max has one right now. It looks way better in plastic and steel than it does in digital pixels! :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.acbbe6b5fd0af3427246372dbd932061.jpeg

My knees got weak and ya my eyes went all googly but damn, I’m having a hard time finding $26,000 dollars in value. :dontknow:

MikeB60
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Max has one right now. It looks way better in plastic and steel than it does in digital pixels! :spittake:

image.thumb.jpeg.acbbe6b5fd0af3427246372dbd932061.jpeg

My knees got weak and ya my eyes went all googly but damn, I’m having a hard time finding $26,000 dollars in value. :dontknow:

I won't buy new motorcycles. Find a good used one a few years from now and save a bundle. 

• Like 3

Yup, I’ve been thinking about it and I now conclude, that BMW, has overvalued their GS to a point just above my comfort zone. :read: :spittake:

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
fourteenfour

I dunno, pricing is odd. My 2019 RT was $25k and they are up to $27k now with significant improvements from that 2019 model. I am waiting to see if there will be a 1300RT with the lowering suspension that GS has. Right now my big reason to not buy another BMW other than seat height is lack of Apple Carplay.  I am not a fan of that Bosch system BMW simply rebranded.

Dennis Andress

I saw one at Iron Horse today. I like it, but that’s maybe $20k of like…. The headlight is uglier in person. 

• Like 1

See, now I thought the headlight looked better in person and my value meter was hovering around 23K. No more.

• Smile 1
RandyShields

Saw my first one in person today.  I liked the more svelte figure, but not the front light or hideous black surface above it for the radar.  And at that price point, I don't think I will be going there anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see: (1) if, based on sales, they stay with that new light design in coming years; and (2) the 1300 RT ventures into the X headlight space.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Saw my first one in person today.  I liked the more svelte figure, but not the front light or hideous black surface above it for the radar.  And at that price point, I don't think I will be going there anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see: (1) if, based on sales, they stay with that new light design in coming years; and (2) the 1300 RT ventures into the X headlight space.

I agree ….. nothing to make me pull out my checkbook.  In addition to the ugly front radar there is no real tail light resulting in poor turn signal visibility when braking. 

The X headlight on the GS had to do with BMW no longer being allowed to run the asymmetrical front headlight set up.  So I don’t suspect it will be carried over to the RT …. At least I pray they don’t.

• Like 1