IGNORED

R1300GS

MikeB60

16 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Non camouflage video and pricing info.  Still an ugly duckling!

Link

They still have tape over the headlight but I do agree, there’s gonna have to be some magical shit under that tape to un ugly that thing. :spittake: And yes, I am using the GS ugly scale. :whistle: Who knows though, heck I almost bought a CLC the other day. :dontknow:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

They still have tape over the headlight but I do agree, there’s gonna have to be some magical shit under that tape to un ugly that thing. :spittake: And yes, I am using the GS ugly scale. :whistle: Who knows though, heck I almost bought a CLC the other day. :dontknow:

I don't think it is tape, it is the radar for the adaptive cruise control.

40 minutes ago, TSConver said:

I don't think it is tape, it is the radar for the adaptive cruise control.

Here’s what I’m seeing. I could be wrong but…  :dontknow:

image.thumb.jpeg.8a6b189571d093008975322ff22b226a.jpeg

I thought I read it’s going to have a power windscreen. A gimmick, but a gimmick that could suck me in! :classic_biggrin: Aluminum frame…boo! :( Although, motocross bikes have been running aluminum frames for about twenty years now. :dontknow: 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so this isn’t the R13GS but at least it gives us bike nuts something new to ogle over till the 28th.

I think this is an F 900 or 950 GS. :dontknow:

So far “ugly” describes that bike perfectly. That  picture is of the R 1300 GS still disguised though. Like I said sometime before, there better be some magic under that tape to Un…. Its looks. :classic_biggrin:

The vid is the countdown to the new R 9 something GS. Looks dirt worthy but the picture I saw without the dust cloud wasn’t all that either. :dontknow:

edit.. 

added pic.

image.jpeg.2c9042cbb71a01fb87e2e55eee1a87f9.jpeg

8 hours ago, beemerman2k said:

Th is bike is supposed to be formally announced today, isn’t it?

I believe the big reveal is on the 28th of this month. :dance: Hope it’s worth a :shake: IYKWIM.

10 hours ago, Red said:

1300 cc dual sport is just obscene.  IMO 1000 is pushing the limit.

There are two things in this world where “obscene” is a good thing. Motorcycles are one of them! :dance: :spittake:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, wbw6cos said:

That statement sort of reminds me of another kind:  who needs  another motorcyle         (insert witty comment)     .      :whistle:

“another rack of ribs smothered in an authentic NC BBQ sauce” :lick: Oh man, this is gonna get booted to FT for sure! :rofl:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

BMW is looking for paying Beta testers so line up early. With BMW's last 29 year track record of first year blunders I'm more of a last couple of years in a model year run not the first couple of years in a model year run.  

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 4
5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

BMW is looking for paying Beta testers so line up early

1994 RSL - 1997 F 650 - 2005 GS - 2005 RT - 2012 - K16 GT - 2014 -Wethead  RT. I’m one of them whatcha might call, gluttons for punishment! :spittake: I figure, you’ve got three years of free. If the problems continue two and a half years in, then it’s time to reach between your legs and pull the handle! :cuz: And all that only applies if you’ve got a backup ride. ;)

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
On 9/18/2023 at 10:57 PM, TEWKS said:

1994 RSL - 1997 F 650 - 2005 GS - 2005 RT - 2012 - K16 GT - 2014 -Wethead  RT. I’m one of them whatcha might call, gluttons for punishment! :spittake: I figure, you’ve got three years of free. If the problems continue two and a half years in, then it’s time to reach between your legs and pull the handle! :cuz: And all that only applies if you’ve got a backup ride. ;)

At first I started reading your history with BMW bikes and felt some relief and then I realized, amateur buyer alert.  How do you keep some of them so long???  :P

• Like 1

After the 1997 F-650 there was a 03 RT also. And of course my 2012 GS nestled in right after the GT. They weren’t first year bikes so I didn’t mention them. That GS, it’s the same one I have now is ancient as far as BMW ownership lifespan’s go with me. :classic_biggrin:

That thing looks like it is built for the Starbucks crowd.  With that open front it probably won't take long to put a rock or tree branch through the radiator for real GS type riding. 

I hope it looks better in person as the pictures make it look like it is missing some parts in the front. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

That thing looks like it is built for the Starbucks crowd

The green version matches the Starbucks logo perfectly! :rofl: No, it’s a few shades off thankfully. I’m kinda drawn to that BMW color for some strange reason. :dontknow:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, TEWKS said:

The green version matches the Starbucks logo perfectly! :rofl: No, it’s a few shades off thankfully. I’m kinda drawn to that BMW color for some strange reason. :dontknow:

and here I thought they were trying to copy a far better looking motorcycle... 

moto_guzzi_v100_mandello_18.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 5:22 PM, dirtrider said:

BMW is looking for paying Beta testers so line up early. With BMW's last 29 year track record of first year blunders I'm more of a last couple of years in a model year run not the first couple of years in a model year run.  

I had an 05 GS and now have a 13GSW.

They've been good first year platforms, purchased a couple years later :3:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I went up to Max BMW yesterday and asked a few questions. They didn’t have anything new to say that I didn’t already read on the internet. But, what they did say is expect the price to come in at around $26,000 before options like GPS, engine protection, panniers. I tried to hide it but I think John saw my eyes do this! :14:

Anyway, we all know it’s a first world problem deciding whether a thirty thousand dollar motorcycle is worth the purchase price. I haven’t seen one, sat on one, drooled on one but, I left the dealership feeling they’re placing the GS on a shelf that I don’t feel comfortable reaching for.

• Plus 1 1
18 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

So, I went up to Max BMW yesterday and asked a few questions. They didn’t have anything new to say that I didn’t already read on the internet. But, what they did say is expect the price to come in at around $26,000 before options like GPS, engine protection, panniers. I tried to hide it but I think John saw my eyes do this! :14:

Anyway, we all know it’s a first world problem deciding whether a thirty thousand dollar motorcycle is worth the purchase price. I haven’t seen one, sat on one, drooled on one but, I left the dealership feeling they’re placing the GS on a shelf that I don’t feel comfortable reaching for.

But that is consistent with the current pricing for GS and GSA's.   While they start at around $19,000 when you add the packages you would want they get up to the $25K range.  Same for the RT.  A new RT is listed at anywhere from $25K to $30K depending on features.  Most I have seen list for $27K.   Actually I as pretty surprised the 1300GS was not priced higher. 

• Like 2

OK, I'm sensing a growing obsession with this new GS by Ed.  I think we should start a pool to predict how long it takes for him to talk himself into one as soon as they hit the dealers' floors.  My guess is within 3 months or less.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

OK, I'm sensing a growing obsession with this new GS by Ed.  I think we should start a pool to predict how long it takes for him to talk himself into one as soon as they hit the dealers' floors.  My guess is within 3 months or less.

HA!   Those who know me know I almost never buy the latest and greatest.  My next bike purchase will most likely be a replacement for my RT and when the 1300RT arrives I will watching the deals on the R1250RT's left on the showrooms.   The 1300 GS is a new bike from top to bottom so I will let those who want to be first in work out all the bugs.   

That being said I DO like the 1300GS more than I expected. 

1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

The 1300 GS is a new bike from top to bottom so I will let those who want to be first in work out all the bugs.

I will let my wager ride.  

1 minute ago, RandyShields said:

I will let my wager ride.  

Very little chance I would buy the 1300 any time soon.  My '18 GS is not even broken in.  But I am softening on the '23 blue "style sport" RT.  Even though I hate no real GPS.

But anyone looking to make some easy money .... Randy's wager would be a good investment.  

On 11/2/2023 at 11:42 PM, roadscholar said:

long but informative.

Interesting comments on the quick shifter...

on my '21 RT it's perfect except for 1st to 2nd.. and that can be almost perfect with a little more acceleration but that's the only abrupt change... 2nd to 6th and 6th all the way to 1st is smooth and very good... I can hit 1st almost at the moment I stop moving and it's fine... I think I've heard about previous years where 2nd to 1st coming to a stop would be an issue.

1 hour ago, Mellow said:

Interesting comments on the quick shifter...

on my '21 RT it's perfect except for 1st to 2nd.. and that can be almost perfect with a little more acceleration but that's the only abrupt change... 2nd to 6th and 6th all the way to 1st is smooth and very good... I can hit 1st almost at the moment I stop moving and it's fine... I think I've heard about previous years where 2nd to 1st coming to a stop would be an issue.

I thought the same and my '16 RT is smoother than my '18 GS ...BUT when I demo rode other brands I realized the BMW quick shifter was just not as smooth.  I rode a Ducati Multistrada V4 and a KTM 890 and both quick shifters were smoother than my BMW's.  They were like butter.  Not saying the BMW is not good and it certainly works great and real smooth but compared to others it is just not as refined.  I was surprised then I realized that .

WOW ... now THAT guy seems smitten with the 1300GS.  I agree with him about not liking the lack of a dedicated tail light and no illuminated switchgear.  I very rarely ride at night but recently on my way home from Barber it was a 445 mile day on a lot of backroads and I got home at 8:00 PM in the dark.  I was a pain not having backlit switchgear.  Heck that is now offered on a lot of mid-size bikes so why not on a "premium" BMW?   It also does seem that the menu set up is quite complicated.