IGNORED

The Ancient and the Modern, Part II: Joe's New New Ride

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I had to dig down through many, many layers of cyberdirt before I unearthed this thread from 14 years ago:

That was from April 2009, when I bought my '09 R1200RT.  It's "archived," which means I can't add to it, so here we are in this thread instead.  

And what is this thread?  Well, today was a good day, Tater: I said goodbye to the '09 RT and hello to its replacement, a 2023 R1250RT.  Some of you rock stars have a stable full of bikes or change bikes every few years, but I'm more of a stick-with-it kind of guy: I kept my 1100RT for 10 years, and my '09 1200RT for 14 years.  I had planned to keep the '09 for ten years just like my first bike, but life sort of got in the way, ya know?  Anyway, a brand-new bike is a pretty big deal for me, and I'm pumped.  

Slightly sad to see the old RT go.  I put 60,000 miles on it: 3 UnRallies, a run out to Torrey, 9 adventures in the Driftless (including 2 DARTs), and I-can't-remember-how-many STARTs and FARTs.  Lots of good memories, but I know I'll have plenty to look forward to with the new RT.  

Instead of selling my old bike privately, this time I traded it in.  It was pure luck that after I arrived at the dealership, they rolled out my new bike and parked it next to my old one, making it convenient to snap a few pics of the two together:

image.thumb.jpeg.59f2a983db1816c8666b4aca8377ca48.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1d41a21e2bf1d1b0056a15b8d20ea923.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.af65c76e5b3c60e7f79ef967d4e6a2a5.jpeg

The transaction went mostly OK, although apparently the new RT uses license plate screws that are different from the ones used on all their other models, and it took a good 20 minutes before they found what they needed and got my plate attached to the new bike.  Weird.

The brief review of the display functionality was dizzying; there's a lot going on in there with the menus and display options, and I've got a bunch of reading and fiddling to do before I can make sense of it all.  The ride home was short, just 20 miles, but it was enough to show that the engine is far, far different from the one on my '09.  Can't play with full power just yet - it only had 2 miles on it when I left the dealer - but it sure does seem to run a lot smoother and with less high-frequency clatter than the '09.  I didn't notice the sound with my helmet and earplugs on, but after I got home, Masako said it's a lot louder than the '09.  She said that when I was coming up our street in second gear at low RPM, she thought someone else was passing by instead:

1674148968.SF%20Helo%20Ground.jpg

Nope, just me.  :wave:

I've already got my first farkle, the BMW valve cover guards:

image.thumb.jpeg.c992515b6c6498eb1c5c13df3cc2d827.jpeg

More farkles to come.  I have to get a fuse box in there (probably Eastern Beaver PC-8, same as I had on my 1200).  Also need to get my Gerbing controller stuck in there somewhere; planning to use a panel-mount socket this time instead of a cord dangling out from under the edge of the saddle.  I've been informed that the GPS system is nothing to write home about, so I expect I'll be trying to find a way to get my Zumo stuck on there somewhere.  A brown Corbin saddle is also in my future.  Finally, I will also be looking into some stickers shortly.  :grin:

One thing I'll miss from the '09?  The glovebox.  It was smaller than the one on my '99 R1100RT, but still a really handy place to store small things like proof of registration/insurance, a sidestand touchdown plate, reading glasses, and so on.  The '23 only has two tiny locking compartments, one directly beneath each handlebar grip, each only big enough for a cell phone or some glasses.  

I do like the central locking feature.  It used to be tedious to lock and unlock everything with the key when I stopped at a restaurant or hotel; now one push of a button takes care of everything.  

I also like the fact that the mirrors now fold in instead of having to be peeled off to narrow the bike for storage on the side of the garage.  

Anyway, plenty of wearing in to do in the weeks ahead, starting tomorrow.  See you all down the road.  :thumbsup:

image.thumb.jpeg.744f2f7e71be1e4c1ee4f2e8116e2624.jpeg

• Like 23

Was blue the only color available?   :burnout:

Looks great!    Congrats on the new bike.

ShiftCam Power, Baby!   :bike:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations!

I couldn't find a home for my fuse box on the bike so I went with the Hex Cam EZcan, works great and takes little space. 

I agree with your wife about the sound of the bike, I like the silence of the older RT's.

Enjoy!!! 

Great looking bike. Congratulations. Good luck with your new bike and many safe and happy miles.

Yes, your wife is correct the WetHeads/ShiftHeads are noisier. My wife complains about being working up on Saturday morning when I leave for a ride. The transition from the HexHead to the WetHead is like switching from a pickup truck to a sports car or luxury car. Even after 97K miles it makes me smile inside.

There is some room behind the triangle black cover above the right side foot peg. It is not water proof area, so make sure you use a sealed fuse box. 

I use a panel mount for my heated gear, wired direct to the battery, with a fuse of course. I also use a wireless controller. I mounted the panel mount on the left side black triangle cover.

One thing that I don’t like, is the reduced fuel capacity and range

• Like 1
Lone_RT_rider

A huge congrats my friend. I'm in agreement on most all of the points you made, especially the "glove box". It's getting to the point where if the gloves were for really cold environments, they wouldn't fit. 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
10 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Was blue the only color available?   :burnout:

:grin:

I wanted to get some Option 719 stuff, but BMW is done making 2023 bikes, so not possible.  I mean you can fit a showroom bike with Option 719 stuff after the fact if you have piles and piles of cash lying around, but doing it like that (instead of ordering your bike fitted with it from the factory) is insanely expensive.  The only economical way to get Option 719 stuff at this point would have been to wait for the 2024 bikes this Fall, but I'm not a fan of the 2024 blue RT.  The nose fairing has a matte dark gray finish, and (to my eye) it looks like someone crashed the bike and replaced the nose fairing with a primer-coated part:

image.thumb.jpeg.a654d02108b150b8d71be0e9beb50917.jpeg

Not my cuppa tea.  

Went for a longer ride today.  The dealer lost some points: I checked my tires before heading out, and they had sent me home with 30 psi in front and 35 psi in rear (manual says 36F/42R).  :mad: The handling did seem a bit better today.  

Consistent with my first two RTs, the saddle on this thing was getting pretty uncomfortable by the end of my ride.  Does any BMW owner actually keep the stock saddle on their bike???

8 hours ago, strataj said:

I couldn't find a home for my fuse box on the bike so I went with the Hex Cam EZcan, works great and takes little space. 

I just looked under the seat, and holy cow, you're right: there's zero space under there, even under the rear rack (used to be able to store tools/spares under there on my '99 and '09).  Not sure I need canbus capability for my accessories; all I'm really looking to power is my Gerbing, probably my Garmin, and maybe a charge cord for a Spot Messenger.  This is all stuff I would just want to turn on when the OEM accessory socket powers up, and shut down when the engine does.  I haven't had the panels off yet - out of curiosity, where did you end up putting your EZcan?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Does any BMW owner actually keep the stock saddle on their bike???

GSA still has the stock seat,....at 30k+, no long miles riding issues,.....did 12k on the HP4 stock seat with no issues on that on either.  The RT, I had to get a low seat and went with Corbin,....after about 125k on that seat, I swapped for a Sergeant. 

Congrats on the new bike......I'ma see if I can get to 200k on the RT.

What a beautiful bike.  The demo runs at the MOA were right by my tent.  Stopped and stared at that bike each time it went by.

• Like 1

I been using the factory seat for over 97K miles. I did add a airflow cover from Facebook last summer to provide a little cooler seating area.

I do have to say it takes a few miles to get used to it, but it is better then the seat on my 2000 R1100RT or my 2007 R1200RT.

The biggest issue I have is that the space between between the seat and foot pegs is less then on the HexHead RT.

I been thinking of trying out a tall seat, but I am to cheap to waste the money on it. :4317:

But lots of folks change the seat, handlebars, foot pegs and windshields. After that they usually sell the bikes and try a different model.

• Smile 2
9 hours ago, Bernie said:

I been using the factory seat for over 97K miles. I did add a airflow cover from Facebook last summer to provide a little cooler seating area.

I do have to say it takes a few miles to get used to it, but it is better then the seat on my 2000 R1100RT or my 2007 R1200RT.

The biggest issue I have is that the space between between the seat and foot pegs is less then on the HexHead RT.

I been thinking of trying out a tall seat, but I am to cheap to waste the money on it. :4317:

But lots of folks change the seat, handlebars, foot pegs and windshields. After that they usually sell the bikes and try a different model.

Some folks are just "hard asses" :18:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 1

I was gonna use that joke on your previous post about stock seats. :grin:

IMO and as stated in other posts the newer RT seats are better than prior generation RTs.

But not perfect.

Now Sargent makes a damn near perfect seat for an off the shelf. And, you can color coordinate the piping to the blue on the BMW emblem. ;) 

image.thumb.png.e9ce431340212c9a7e864b125e70797c.png

Lone_RT_rider
3 minutes ago, 9Mary7 said:

+1 on Sargent seats.

Some people are Corbin people, some are Sargent people, some are Russell people and there are indeed some where the stock seat works very well for them.  Me personally, I'm all in on Russell.  I've know Mitch for over 20 years now and have ridden multiple 750 mile days with him.  We both get off the bike at the end of the day in about the same shape, a bit tired but not so sore we can't sit back down anywhere.  Mitch is one of those people where are Corbin just works for him.  My guess is, he will go with another one because of that long history of those laborious slab days and feeling good afterwards. :)

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Some people are Corbin people, some are Sargent people, some are Russell people and there are indeed some where the stock seat works very well for them.  Me personally, I'm all in on Russell.  I've know Mitch for over 20 years now and have ridden multiple 750 mile days with him.  We both get off the bike at the end of the day in about the same shape, a bit tired but not so sore we can't sit back down anywhere.  Mitch is one of those people where are Corbin just works for him.  My guess is, he will go with another one because of that long history of those laborious slab days and feeling good afterwards. :)

Very true, sargent was ok for me on the past but hated it on the RT...the Corbin is great and have done 1100 miles in one day on it with no issues.

• Like 1

Had one Corbin on my first BMW. It was comfortable when I was finally able to latch it. :mad:  And, I did need two friends to help me lift it. :grin:

Didn’t happen to me personally so it’s only hearsay but their customer service kinda sucks if you have a problem with their products.

Maybe they got their stuff together. :dontknow: And 100% agree that if you have a good experience with a company’s product you’re going to lean that way in the future. :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

And 100% agree that if you have a good experience with a company’s product you’re going to lean that way in the future. :thumbsup:

Yep, that's why I'm staying with a Russell for the GSA. :) This would be the 5th seat I've had from them. 

R1100RT

R1200RT (hexhead)

R1250GS

R1250RT

R1250GSA 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Had one Corbin on my first BMW. It was comfortable when I was finally able to latch it. :mad:  And, I did need two friends to help me lift it. :grin:

Didn’t happen to me personally so it’s only hearsay but their customer service kinda sucks if you have a problem with their products.

Maybe they got their stuff together. :dontknow: And 100% agree that if you have a good experience with a company’s product you’re going to lean that way in the future. :thumbsup:

I think they are better.. prior to the RT I had a tracer 900 and got a seat but it had a very small tear in the front and they said to send it in anytime between now and 1 year and they would fix.  I sent it and they got it back to me pretty quick.

One issue w/one piece corbin seat for the '21 and newer RTs... you have to add some washers to the rear bar they supply as it just will not latch.

Now, if you have the radio module, that seat mold does not have the space needed so you have to add a ridiculous amount of washers to the point it doesn't look good at all.

Here's mine - no radio module.

IMG_20220722_135944.jpg.9ae1cbfe1a82b86ce7aad9a52e7b305f.jpg

IMG_20220722_140032.jpg.908f380def327bfda1b4c5da29405bb5.jpg

Here's one w/Radio module:

PXL_20220713_174222359.thumb.jpg.1d98bc05747e99900bafcc49e5939f57.jpg

PXL_20220713_174207134.thumb.jpg.e677e4a207fe704db2d22bd9ee47fd38.jpg

PXL_20220713_174406506.thumb.jpg.bb8e05b26e216d2963466389cf2e5fd4.jpg

So, if I had the radio module I would NOT go w/Corbin.. I wish they had a 2 pc seat but they said many didn't like that option so they stopped making those a few years ago.

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider

That just shows me that a Corbin seat doesn't fit a new RT with a radio unit.  :(  Most of the bikes that dealers received as inventory (not special order) had the radio option.  

Lone_RT_rider
On 7/29/2023 at 9:54 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

She said that when I was coming up our street in second gear at low RPM, she thought someone else was passing by instead:

1674148968.SF%20Helo%20Ground.jpg

Hmmmmmm...... visually I see more of a comparison to your 2009 RT :4322:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

That just shows me that a Corbin seat doesn't fit a new RT with a radio unit.  :(  Most of the bikes that dealers received as inventory (not special order) had the radio option.  

In 2021 when I was looking, very few of the '21 or '22s in inventory had a radio option.  The chip shortage surely had an impact.   I'm glad as I don't see a need for it myself.  I did send Corbin a note about this as did the member that I got the pics from but never got a response... I think he even lives close to them and offered to ride in and help them adjust the mold... I don't think that ever happened.

Anyway, just a beware for members w/radio unit and shopping for a corbin.

1 hour ago, Mellow said:

I did send Corbin a note about this as did the member that I got the pics from but never got a response... I think he even lives close to them and offered to ride in and help them adjust the mold... I don't think that ever happened.

Kinda shows they haven’t improved their customer relations department very much. One or two negatives no problem, but it seems that if it’s not right initially, you’re pretty much on your own. Not a company I want to do business with.

• Plus 1 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Thumbing through the gigantic owner manual, there's mention of an on-board toolkit.  Didn't see one on the bike - was this supposed to be included with it?  The key item I don't have is the oil filler cap wrench.   

5 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Thumbing through the gigantic owner manual, there's mention of an on-board toolkit.  Didn't see one on the bike - was this supposed to be included with it?  The key item I don't have is the oil filler cap wrench.   

On bottom side of seat?

Also, that was one of the benefits of a "real key" vs a key fob.  Using the real key, you can open the oil filler.  Can't much do that with the fob thingy:classic_wacko:

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

On bottom side of seat?

Also, that was one of the benefits of a "real key" vs a key fob.  Using the real key, you can open the oil filler.  Can't much do that with the fob thingy:classic_wacko:

I use the plastic key to unlock the seat or to release the saddle bags from the mounts. 

Lone_RT_rider
29 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I ordered a real key for the R1250GSA.  The key has to be used to open the bags and remove them from their frame.  The plastic body of the key fob is just not sturdy enough to put up with that for long term use.  

• Like 2
Just now, Bernie said:

I use the plastic key to unlock the seat or to release the saddle bags from the mounts. 

Methinks you misunderstood me.

Joe was wanting the oil fill cap tool,.....that's where the keyfob won't work, but a "real key" would.  

When I change oil on the GSA, I reach right next to it and grab the key outta the ignition of the RT and pop open the oil fill,....no need to take a seat off to get that little tool out.

On an RT, the oil fill cap tool is under the driver seat.   Also, the tool for screw driver, T-25 and Phillips can be used to open oil fill, just remove the long metal thingy first.   The oil fill cap tool doubles as rear seat nut turning-thing-a-ma-robert.

Keep in mind that the screw driver is a Torx25, which will come in handy to remove the lock for the fuel cap, in case it doesn’t unlock. 

1 minute ago, Bernie said:

Keep in mind that the screw driver is a Torx25, which will come in handy to remove the lock for the fuel cap, in case it doesn’t unlock. 

Nother reason to have a real key:18: and real key lock fuel cap,......ugh

Lone_RT_rider
Just now, Rougarou said:

Nother reason to have a real key:18: and real key lock fuel cap,......ugh

Now you just have to convince both the dealers and BMW to order the bikes that way. They'd only be giving up a very large amount of profit they make on all of these "options". I'm sure they'd be open to that.  :3:

When I got my 14R1200RT I asked the salesman where the tools are stored, he pointed to a glove box and said your credit card fits nicely here.  Kinda what Bernie said. 

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

On bottom side of seat?

OK, I took another look and finally realized that this is literal: I was expecting a pouch with all the tools in it, but here the tools are individually attached to the underside of the saddle, nicely camouflaged by molded plastic.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Their "tool kit" is maybe 3 or 4 tools....kind of.  :)

Yeah, can't do much with what they supply.  Mostly the oil filler cap tool is what I was after; I can put together my own tool kit for other purposes.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

Now you just have to convince both the dealers and BMW to order the bikes that way. They'd only be giving up a very large amount of profit they make on all of these "options". I'm sure they'd be open to that.  :3:

I don't get the actual benefit of all this keyless mess.

At any given time, you can likely take my GSA as the fob stays in it.  I vary my jackets, so, it's not like I'ma put the fob in a single jacket.  Sure, I could, but, then I'd hang it up next to the bike, put on a different jacket, crank the bike, get down the road, and get the "you will die message" on the screen 'cause I don't have the key fob.

Looks like you can't do an ala carte order either, mebbee you can, but from BMWs website, any addition requires the "premium package" as a whole:classic_wacko:

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I don't get the actual benefit of all this keyless mess.

At any given time, you can likely take my GSA as the fob stays in it.  I vary my jackets, so, it's not like I'ma put the fob in a single jacket.  Sure, I could, but, then I'd hang it up next to the bike, put on a different jacket, crank the bike, get down the road, and get the "you will die message" on the screen 'cause I don't have the key fob.

Some years ago I let my friend test-drive my new car, which had keyless ignition.  Even though I was in the car with him, out of habit I gave him the key fob while he drove.  When he got out, the engine was still running, so I didn't think to ask him for the fob.  I drove away and before long the car warned me about the missing fob.  I made it back, but I was a bit nervous the whole way because it was a manual gearbox, and I was still getting used to the clutch on that car (the G37 had a weird "over-center" feel as you lifted your foot off the clutch): if I had stalled it somewhere, I would not have been able to restart without the fob.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well a Tool Kit is a combination of tools of 2 or more quantity.

I had the same problem with the fob that Richard had. I normally leave my jacket or Stitch on the bike when I stop for coffee or lunch. After a few rides, I am sitting in the restaurant and thinking that the stupid key fob is in my suit and anyone can just start the bike and take off. So I now wear it on a lanyard around my neck and as long as I don’t forget my head somewhere, the fob is with me.

As for stickers, Fernando has reflective kits for the WetHead RT saddlebags. Of course they aren’t Hi-Viz Yellow.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
6 hours ago, Bernie said:

Fernando has reflective kits for the WetHead RT saddlebags. Of course they aren’t Hi-Viz Yellow.

Bit of a show-stopper unfortunately.  I do very little riding after dark, so black reflective has limited value for me.  

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 7/30/2023 at 7:42 AM, strataj said:

After some reading, this does look pretty slick.  Where'd you put it on your bike?  Did you need the extension harness kit, or is the included harness long enough to reach the battery?

22 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

After some reading, this does look pretty slick.  Where'd you put it on your bike?  Did you need the extension harness kit, or is the included harness long enough to reach the battery?

It fits in the location of attachment.  I didn't have a need for the extension harness.  My Warm n Safe heated gear, V1 (radar detector), USB for cell phone and Zumo GPS are connected.  It works great just a little pricey.