IGNORED

BMWMOA

Steveyacht

This may sound like a stupid question, but here goes; Should I join the BMWMOA, if yes, why?  What are the benefits of joining?  

as always, thanks in advance for your comments.

Steve

Just be aware that the MOA is fully captured by BMW and acts as an extension of BMW's marketing machine and isn't interested in advocacy on behalf of owners on any issue where BMW's product, parts pricing or service is an issue.

That being said there are benefits as I am sure others will attest.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

I was never crazy about the magazine, and the last time I went to an MOA rally was 2003.  I kept my membership for many years because of the Anonymous Handbook, an annually published list of phone numbers for MOA members around the country who have pledged to help riders who run into problems while traveling.  It came in handy for me in 2000 when I was in Prescott, AZ on Memorial Day weekend and couldn't find a hotel or campsite for miles around.  I called a number for someone in town, and he put me and my girlfriend up at his house for the night and let us do laundry.  Shoot, the guy even washed my bike for me.  It was one of the nicer stays on our entire trip, and having only bought him dinner and breakfast, it was also one of the cheapest.

The handbook is arguably less important these days now that everyone has a smart phone and can summon professional assistance virtually anywhere just by pushing a few buttons - but if it's after hours, and you need a place and/or tools to work on your bike, and maybe a guy who will trailer your bike to his garage free of charge, the handbook might still make MOA membership a worthwhile investment.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
On 7/27/2023 at 10:21 AM, strataj said:

Yes join.  The list of benefits are long.  The newest is a 10% additional discount on BMW parts, gear and more. https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/639352/BMW-MOA-Members-Earn-10-Rebate-on-BMW-Parts-Gear-and-Accessories.htm  Dairyland gives me a discount because I'm a member.  The above post has a lot more info, it's worth it me.    

The 10% rebate works!  Just got a check from BMOA for jacket I purchased at Max BMW in CT. Not sure how they can afford to do it but heck, I'll take it.

JOhn

Michiganr80rt

I just got an email that the 10% parts discount for the failed alternator on my R1200RT was approved. Between the alternator, the clutch that was replaced while the engine was apart, and the other bits that were replaced the rebate is $240. Waiting for the check....

On 8/1/2023 at 10:02 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

The handbook is arguably less important these days….

IDK. I think the anonymous book is still huge. I personally have helped 2 separate riders just blowing down I-24 with some minor problems.  And I just put the book to use in Fairbanks looking for a final drive seal. A guy who knows a guy knows the parts guy at the Fairbanks dealer who called me back on a Sunday afternoon.  Riders help riders.  It’s really that simple.

Plus Jack Riepe’s articles are pretty damn funny. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

I've been a member since 2010. It's ok. I've used the discount at Beemer bone yard. Tru dat about advocacy, but I haven't been inclined to look for it either. BMW is just another faceless corporation and it is what it is. +1 on Jack Riepe. For some reason I like Matt Parkhouse too, even though I've never owned an airhead. Never been to a rally either. DK if I ever will. Just not into crowds (Which is funny as I am from the NYC metro). There's the RA too, but they seem more east coast oriented. Maybe that's where most of their members are. 

Yes Join!   It's a great BMW Motorcycle focused organization.  Great folks,  Great monthly magazine, great discounts and their roadside assistance with tire protection is awesome. 

• Plus 1 1

Well, I've been to two of their national rally events and the shear number of attendees present some problems like access to facilities at night when nature is calling with some urgency and you have to hoof it from your tent long distances.  Then there are the vendors which don't interest me much.  They have tech sessions that can be interesting so that's a plus although I don't see much future in having a tech session that discusses today's high tech wonders.  I mean what are you going to talk about except gizmos and gadgets that mostly involve pushing buttons.   The beer garden is OK but I don't drink beer so that's  out.  Too bad they don't have a bourbon garden, just sayin'.   Long and short is it's hard to please everyone.  Been to a couple state BMW events in OR and WA and enjoyed them much more than the national.  The Washington  State BMW Riders used to hold their annual rally in a small mountain town in north eastern WA named Republic and I really enjoyed that several times.  Oregon riders still hold theirs in John Day which is a small eastern OR town and have attended several times and really enjoyed it.  Got stopped by OR State Police for speeding on my way home from John Day and the cop couldn't have been nicer.  He asked if we'd been to John Day  and I said we had.  Then he just said take it a little slower because nobody needs to get hurt after attending the rally and that was that.  The BMW national?  I'll take a pass.  The MOA magazine early on was most interesting but not so much now.  I'm still an MOA member but I think I won't be renewing my membership.  The anonymous book was good to take on long trips but all I do is day rides now as I rapidly approach the ripe old age of 80 in just a few short months that I can easily count on one hand.

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, JamesW said:

Well, I've been to two of their national rally events and the shear number of attendees present some problems like access to facilities at night when nature is calling with some urgency and you have to hoof it from your tent long distances.  Then there are the vendors which don't interest me much.  They have tech sessions that can be interesting so that's a plus although I don't see much future in having a tech session that discusses today's high tech wonders.  I mean what are you going to talk about except gizmos and gadgets that mostly involve pushing buttons.   The beer garden is OK but I don't drink beer so that's  out.  Too bad they don't have a bourbon garden, just sayin'.   Long and short is it's hard to please everyone.  Been to a couple state BMW events in OR and WA and enjoyed them much more than the national.  The Washington  State BMW Riders used to hold their annual rally in a small mountain town in north eastern WA named Republic and I really enjoyed that several times.  Oregon riders still hold theirs in John Day which is a small eastern OR town and have attended several times and really enjoyed it.  Got stopped by OR State Police for speeding on my way home from John Day and the cop couldn't have been nicer.  He asked if we'd been to John Day  and I said we had.  Then he just said take it a little slower because nobody needs to get hurt after attending the rally and that was that.  The BMW national?  I'll take a pass.  The MOA magazine early on was most interesting but not so much now.  I'm still an MOA member but I think I won't be renewing my membership.  The anonymous book was good to take on long trips but all I do is day rides now as I rapidly approach the ripe old age of 80 in just a few short months that I can easily count on one hand.

It certainly sounds like the MOA National is something you may want to avoid for sure.   But let me provide a bit of a different view as they say YMMV.   I have been riding BMW's since 2000 and have attended 13 National events in the 23 years of BMW Ownership.  When working I would pretty much attend a National that was no more than 1000 miles from home due to limited time.  These days I try to make them all since I not only have the time but enjoy riding new roads and seeing new places which the National always provides.   The National Rally is large but it is certainly not Sturgis or Americade large.  The average attendance is usually about 5,000 depending on the location. Some of the features of the National I like are (in no particular order) 

• Opportunity to ride to a new destination and experience new roads and small towns along the way.  It is after all about the journey.
  • Where else can you see 5000 BMW motorcycles of all years and models and have the opportunity to see what other riders have done to their bikes.  Many times when I have a new BMW I enjoy walking the parking lot to check out what farkles I might want to add to my bike and I have always founds something I had never seen before. 
  • I don't camp so can't comment on any of the camping particulars but I always try to stay at a hotel close to the event and the hotel parking like is filled with other BMW riders.  I have met folks at the hotel at the National who I am still friends with today. 
  • Vendors - Having attended Americade and the Honda Hoot for years I can say for certain the vendors at the BMW National are some of the best I have seen  They all provide quality accessories or gear and very little of the cheap leather and sticker booths I've seen at Americade and the Hoot.  Most of the big dogs are there ... Clearwater, Touratech, Wunderlich, Twisted Throttle, etc.  And most have some kind of show deal although the big benefit is actually SEEING the products and being able to ask the vendors questions about the products first hand up close and personal. 
  • Seminars - There are seminars of all shapes and sizes from discussions about techno stuff (yes a lot of BMW riders like that stuff, not my cup of tea but hey that's why Baskin Robbins makes 32 flavors)  There are seminars on travel, maintenance, heat and cold weather management, etc.    There is something for everyone unless of course you believe there is nothing new you might learn. 
  • Training - there is usually training offered and it is usually free or at a significant discount.   We can all benefit from more training. 
  • Exploring - the nice thing about the National moving around the country is it provides riders an opportunity to explore a "new to them" area of the country.  I have ridden in all the lower 48 and crossed the US 3 or more times but have not see a lot of this country.   You can take day rides in the location of the National and see stuff you'd never seen before and probably never knew existed. 
  • Camaraderie - this is a big one ... where else can you be around so many friendly like minded folks who all ride BMW's. The Beer garden and more recently the brew fest allow folks to gather over a beverage and chat,  heck you may even make a new friend. 

So if you enjoy people, like BMW motorcycles, like to learn and see new things and like to ride the National may be just the ticket.   If however that is not the case then the smaller local events are probably better suited for you.  I love the local events too... START, FART and the BMWRA National are all smaller and provide some of the same benefits on a smaller scale. 

The MOA Owners News - the Owners News just seems to get better.  The Owners News has benefited from so many long standing motorcycle magazines shutting down the Owners News has gotten some new contributors.  The magazine seems to have a more diverse feel and I always find something interesting each month when it arrives. 

MOA Platinum membership - for me this benefit is invaluable.  You can get not only get roadside assistance that will transport your bike 100 miles but free tire replacement should a tire mishap occur and up to TWO tires per year!   I wish I had this in prior years.  It is cheap insurance and the upgrade to the Platinum is cheap. 

But if none of this is of interest to you for about $100 a year then you certainly should not join the MOA. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 3

Hi Ed,

You make some good points that I do agree with for sure.  I really think my main issues are brought on by my advancing years.  I've got a bad back that causes me much grief like last night for example and I've pretty much seen all of the US I want to see.  Where I live extreme temps seldom if ever occur like last night was 54 degrees and as we speak at about 9:37AM outside is a pleasant 65 degrees with the high today expected to be about 70.  For the next 10 days we might see 78 one day next week so pretty pleasant.  Air quality is as good as it gets as well.  East of here you got smoke and heat so no thanks.  Then to that you add traffic and more traffic so no thank you life is too short as it is and getting shorter.  Highway US101 which is the main coastal highway is a zoo in summer what with all the tourists from everywhere but it's relatively easy for us to avoid so no complaints.   I've lived in Montana and Washington State when both places were uncrowded and just wonderful and I'm thankful I got to enjoy them when I did so no complaints.  Oh, and that was when BMW's Moto was..."Simple by choice".  Yup, those were good days.  Might add that I reside on the central Oregon coast where I've lived for a total of 30 years so I'm hooked. lol..lol..  Nope not attending 2024 MOA rally at Redmond, OR just too many moving parts over there and as we speak that area is experiencing wildfire smoke really BAD!  They can have it.

Hey we all have our perspective on life and the MOA.   As for me ... I have been in all lower 48 states but can't ever get enough.  I find beauty in all the states although I love Wyoming where there are wide open spaces.  We visit there annually ... my wife has been 14 times and me only 8 times.   But I enjoy all the states and all the people I meet along the way,.   One of my favorites is Eastern Kansas ... yeah what many call the Fly Over area.  The Flint Hills are awesome and the people even nicer.

As my late riding buddy used to say "all it takes is an open road and an open mind" 

Ride on!  I'll be planning the Redmond trip ... after the fall and October events of course!