IGNORED

Yellow fog lights for daytime safety?

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

I was watching one of the popular motorcycle YouTube channels. He had a tip and said when he put yellow fog lights on, he became more visible to drivers. 

I'm in the process of changing my headlight low beam H7 bulb and the two ( H3 bulb) fog lights out for LED bulbs.

I'm considering getting yellow LED fog lights.. What are you all think about Yellow fog lights.

My  R1150RT has the two fog lights built into and combined in one headlight housing with low and high beam bulbs.

For years, I had one yellow and one white light on my bikes.  Clearwater covers are so flexible to have yellow cover on for day, and take it off for clear if you ride at night.  I've had many folks over the years remark (last one was a semi driver who pulled into the same rest area) that the yellow/white combination gave it visibility.  Once a guy I was riding with remarked that 'that's annoying ' to which I replied, 'exactly why I have them, to be noticed!'   

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

I was watching one of the popular motorcycle YouTube channels. He had a tip and said when he put yellow fog lights on, he became more visible to drivers. 

I'm in the process of changing my headlight low beam H7 bulb and the two ( H3 bulb) fog lights out for LED bulbs.

I'm considering getting yellow LED fog lights.. What are you all think about Yellow fog lights.

My  R1150RT has the two fog lights built into and combined in one headlight housing with low and high beam bulbs.

Morning gmcjetpilot

Depends, on if you want added light assistance while riding in a fog or if you want more usable frontal lighting for normal night riding.

There is no evidence that yellow light is more visible than white light by humans.  In fact, to the extent that yellow lights will tend to be somewhat dimmer than white, they will be detectable at reduced distance compared to white.  However, we humans have our attention drawn to novel items in our visual field.  So to the extent that there are few vehicles with yellow lights, then they can be more salient to us when operating in places where there are no other competing sources for our attention.  That is, when riding out in some rural area with no other lights, then yellow lights might catch our attention more than white lights.  In contrast, when riding in a city with many sources of light, in a variety of colors, then having yellow lights on a motorcycle will have no marginal benefit to conspicuity compared to white lights.

cap

• Like 2

I switched my amber ones back to oem white but with some amazon yellow covers, the yellow does pop more and those I've ridden behind me say they notice me more than other bikes w/just white aux lights.

The pic below is when I just hooked up the oem aux light back up to compare to the amber lights I had so both ambers were connected but one pointing downward.

Here are the amazon covers:

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Foglight-R1200GS-Adventure-R1250GS/dp/B08JTQPZXZ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=AFNCX&qid=1686748784&sr=8-5&th=1

IMG_20230129_102946.jpg

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I typically lead when I ride with a few friends. Some of the guys have yellow aux lights down low.  Those bikes absolutely POP, when I look in my mirror. About once a month, we get a group of five or six, and one of the guys with yellow lights rides at the back.  I am always able to clearly and quickly see that the group is still together.

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1

The group of 6-8 that I frequently ride with generally asks me to ride in the rear as my yellow lights are easy to see and the ride leader knows we are still all together.  Or, could it be that I am just slow?😩

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 2

I run the yellow lens covers on my Clearwater lights most all the time. Even in some night riding, at least in higher traffic areas. Very easy to remove when away from cities where I can use them and high beams more. 

Just look to me like they show up better than just all white. Absolutely no factual evidence to back that up. But I can say the Clearwaters are bright even with the yellow covers on, even in "daytime" mode. So oncoming traffic will see them either way. 

• Plus 1 2

I have always run amber or yellow lights.  Started doing that back then Motolights were the top of the line before LEDs hit the market.  Today I run Darlas with yellow lens on both bikes.  As others have posted the yellow just pops!  Have been told by other riders and folks in cars that the yellow lights really stand out.

• Plus 1 1

I like to use one Yellow and one White light. I have seen several bikes over the years, coming towards me with that combination.

It really stood out from the crowd of bikes they were traveling with. 

I been doing that for a few years and I think it really gets everyone’s attention, unless it is a FedEx or Kroger delivery truck.

:88:

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

I replaced the H3 halogen fog light bulbs in my '03 RT with amber LED bulbs. I keep the fog lights on all the time. I also installed amber driving lights down on the forks. The folks I ride with say I stand out in their rear view mirrors.

I also replaced the standard H7 low beam bulb with an LED. In this picture, one half of the LED H7 had gone dim and I was just about to replace it with a new one.

20230322_173127.jpg

gmcjetpilot

Forgot I had roll of yellow/amber film I used for another light project. Pics show mock up, with lights: low+fogs on, low only on, off. 

1st experiment I'll road test is  two film stripes over fog lights, easier and more legal. Contoured shape of headlight does not allow film to sit flat. 

As had to be secure, not blow off, be removable, not alter bike permanently, and not look tacky. The alternative is get Aux lights as you all suggest. It looks nice. More lights the better for DRL's.

PS ordered set of yellow/amber LED H3's for fog lights. I'm not installing them anytime soon. I don't feel like taking the tupperware off again too soon. I also have LED H7 for low going in.

20230618_114411.jpg

20230618_114421.jpg

20230618_114544.jpg

I think the yellow is more, "attention getting," than the amber. That, plus if you only have one of them yellow, that is a true  grabber. Which side, left ir right? Gotta be left. 

Closer to oncoming traffic. You know, the ones that don't understand that you're not supposed to cross the double yellow lines.

+1 for amber.  I use two amber Darla's up high on the bike at all times when the bike is running.  I also have two Erica's low on white (clear) which work as needed if I toggle the high beam switch or on steady if I need them on with the bikes own lights.  I like the amber because plenty of autos run headlights and I don't want to be confused with them.  On coming cars may wrongly assume I am farther away than I really am because our outline is smaller than an auto.  Amber makes me 'different' from an auto.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
3 hours ago, RandyShields said:

The Clearwater covers are more yellow than amber.

The Clearwater covers were originally amber but I believe there wad an issue of running amber lights in Europe and they modified the color to yellow.  Honestly either amber or yellow lights really pop and are more noticeable than white.

While I prefer Piaa's hue of yellow (led version), I thinks perhaps it matters more that one has the triangle arrangement of lights installed. It's long been established this gives people a much better handle on your closing speed/distance. Trains realized this awhile back. I have the  ,always on, PIAA's mounted above my mirrors.  Clearwater Darlas  (white) mounted low, which only come on with high beam. 

• Plus 1 1
  • 1 month later...
Shelterwoods
On 6/14/2023 at 5:20 AM, Cap said:

There is no evidence that yellow light is more visible than white light by humans.  In fact, to the extent that yellow lights will tend to be somewhat dimmer than white, they will be detectable at reduced distance compared to white.  However, we humans have our attention drawn to novel items in our visual field.  So to the extent that there are few vehicles with yellow lights, then they can be more salient to us when operating in places where there are no other competing sources for our attention.  That is, when riding out in some rural area with no other lights, then yellow lights might catch our attention more than white lights.  In contrast, when riding in a city with many sources of light, in a variety of colors, then having yellow lights on a motorcycle will have no marginal benefit to conspicuity compared to white lights.

cap

I appreciate your reasoned response. I think this also applies to helmet color, though I don't have but Internet research and experience to back me up. I have usually been able to pick out something white before I see something yellow or orange, though the novelty of yellow or orange will spark my interest. 

1 hour ago, Shelterwoods said:

I appreciate your reasoned response. I think this also applies to helmet color, though I don't have but Internet research and experience to back me up. I have usually been able to pick out something white before I see something yellow or orange, though the novelty of yellow or orange will spark my interest. 

I can only speak from my own limited first hand experience when riding with others  ... when I am leading it is MUCH easier to pick out the bike with the yellow lights versus white lights and conversely when others are leading they tell me my yellow lights make it much easier to pick me out in traffic. 

As far as helmets go I too always wear white as a result of the research I have read but honestly I have to day the easiest helmet to pick out was when  buddy had a bright red Arai. I could spot that red cherry on his head a half mile away.   

• Like 1

This is my option.  What makes yellow lights on a bike stand out is they aren't common, not that they're easier seen.  I think all tail gunners should have yellow lights that way you know all the ducks are in line.  If yellow was seen over others why don't police or fire use them, they are left to non emergency vehicles.  It's all about standing out, knowing that a vehicle with a colored light is special in some way. 

• Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, strataj said:

………If yellow was seen over others why don't police or fire use them, they are left to non emergency vehicles…..,,

Because they get to use red and blue 😁

Bill Murray

Until recently, I have been running Clearwater Erica auxiliary lights to enhance my bike's daytime visibility. My bike is also equipped with OEM LED fog lights, but I have never relied on those for daytime visibility. With the widespread adoption of Daytime Running Lights on cars, I decided it might be worth installing some amber light covers on my Clearwater Erica auxiliary lights, to see how they compare. I picked up a set of the slip-on amber lens covers at the BMW MOA Rally in Richmond. So far, I am very satisfied with the results. I believe they stand out more than the white lights due to all of the automobile  DRLs. My riding buddy has commented that the amber lenses are just as bright as before and are less "irritating" when he is up front leading a ride. YMMV.

• Like 2
Mobilemike54

Previous owner of my bike installed yellow Skene lights on the forks, which flicker quickly. I read in Skene’s website that research has shown that yellow lights stand out more. I don’t have data to back that up, but they sure are bright.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I did it. First what a pain. You have to take the Tupperware off to get to the fog lights. I replaced ALL the lights with LED. The H7 Low and H3 High beam bulb swap are this link.

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/106705-new-h7-headlight-led/#comment-1140676/

Bought cheapest yellow LED H3's on eBay. The H3's I bought are not as bright as halogen. The more expensive H3 LED's I am sure throw more light. The CURRENT DRAW huge difference. Halogen H3's are 4.4 Amps each, where the LED H3's are0.19 Amp each. (The H7 halogen is 4.12 Amps to 2.3 Amps for LED. So I estimate the better H3 LED's wi;; be in the 2 amp ball park. But that is over 2 Amps less than the halogen H3's.

I paid approximately (tax, shipping total) for pair of H3's (yellow) $8.  Pair of H3's white for high beam were $15. The better LED H3's are about $28. Low beam H7 pair cost $37 (got the fan cooled ones). Again see above link for high and low beam thread. 

More expensive LED H3's will be  brighter.  The cheap LED H3's ($15) white or yellow, are not dim by any stretch, but the $28 H3's (same brand and design as the H7's I bought that are brighter than the halogen) would be my suggestion. However I could not find these in yellow. I may replace the yellow back to white with the better LED H3 bulbs.

However for sure the cheap H3 high beam is not cutting it.  I am going to leave it for now, but that will either go to the more expensive LED H3 or put the halogen back. Good news is you don't need to remove the Tupperware, it helps to have fairing off. It can be done by feel and limited access.  However it is a PAIN... and I used a mirror and feel to do the job. Not good for your commitment to family and God to no curse.

The better H3's do not have directional emitters.  None of them are like a halogen, but have individual emitters. The better ones only have two emitters but no doubt high intensity.  The cheap ones use more smaller low output emitters. This may be an issue however in the RT the way the reflectors are I don't think this will be a big deal. Bottom line I am happy with the results. I would do it again. The only down side is the 2 hours of work (fairing removal and replacement and cursing the poor access and those dang spring clips).

The cheap H3's "work" but get the more expensive one for high beam (white).  As far as the cheaper yellow LED H3's I like them. They make me more visible day time (my theory sticking to it). At night they will still throw light, yellow light to sides. For fog this may be better, but dark road where you want more illumination the halogen white fogs OR expensive LED H3's would be better (but don't come in yellow).  I have about $55 into it and 3 hours. If I get the pair of bright higher out out H3's (only need one but they come in pairs) that is $28, or total $83. If I decided to ditch the the yellow H3 fogs that puts me over $110. Do LED's do more? Well yes and no. They for sure use less current/Amps. The H7 LED (not cheap but not the most expensive) is a winner. The better H3's are also a winner from brighter (I assume since I bought cheap ones) and will draw less current. The cheap $8 yellow H3 fogs I really like. I am going to keep them, subject to some night riding. Everything is a trade off. The Halogens get the job done, and I think these are the original ones, 19 yrs old, 48K miles and work well. Up to you. The worst part is getting at the bulbs.  A bit of an exercise in frustration. Be sure to plan the swap if you choose to do it, when you have maintenance to do and fairing will be off....

Pics: All Lights Daylight, All Lights Garage Door Closed, Low and Fogs only. Last are LED's. Notice cheap H3's have lens on end for installations that are horizontal. However the installation of Fogs is vertical and high beam 45 degree relative to ground. 

all lights daylight.jpg

all lights garage.jpg

low and fog.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• 1 month later...

I went through the pain of replacing the cheap H3's for High beam and two fogs. Big difference. I ditched the Yellow Fog color. Looked good day, may make you more visable day to other drivers. However at night it was not much help on dark roads. I'm happy with the nee LED H3's. I like running Low/DRL and gigs day, and the lower electrical draw for 3 LED's one H7 andv2 H3's  (4.5A amps) verses 13A for 3 Halogen bulbs.

Screenshot_20231031_013307_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231031_013327_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231031_013349_Gallery.jpg