IGNORED

What are Some Must Haves for New, 2023 R1250RT?

Steveyacht

Steveyacht

Pretty sure I'm buying a new 2023 R1250RT, have a deposit on one at local dealer.  I first have to go to see, make sure I fit, and negotiate a deal.  If all is positive, I'll be making the purchase.  My question is, what are some must haves for this new bike?  I'm looking for suggestion on high quality accessories, engine and bag protection, soft tail packs, Tank bags, and anything else that anyone feels would be a great addition to a new bike, that the factory doesn't include.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Steve

As far as engine protection and bag protection, I would highy recommend these guards (I call them drop guards.)  They really work and hold up pretty well.   Get some for the side cases, too.  Yeah, they work great!

I would also advise you to get some 3M clear protective film for the side cases.   Over time, you think you will keep that boot from touching the side case as you mount the bike, but eventually you will end up with scuff marks.   Try as you might to be careful, but........:ohboy:

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
Dirtmerchant

I'd add a 12V jumper box to @lkraus list as well for you or whoever you are riding with.   I'd suggest you ride it for a month or so before making changes such a aftermarket pegs and seats and bar adjustments. 

• Like 3
Motorhead1977
13 hours ago, lkraus said:

Tire plugs, small 12v air pump, air gauge, credit card.

There are other tools you could carry, but those are all you are likely to need.

I carry the Stop n Go tire pump and repair kit (though I have both mushroom plugs and the sticky rope plugs in my pannier). Just get the rope plugs at any auto parts store. Very compact and works very well. 

• Like 3

Well now, I just got my 23 RT 6 weeks ago and was pretty sure about what changes I would make.

So far, I have added rear crash bars to protect the panniers (in case I mess up somehow) and cylinder head cover/protectors.

I found that heavy and longer than stock stainless steel bar ends reduced some of the vibes I was feeling in the handle bars.

Also, I attached a front fender extender without using the double sided tape or drilling holes. Rather, I used ABS cement as a permanent solution.

The foot peg lowering kit was an essential add on for me, because knee pain was an issue. 

Next to come, is a pigtail attached to the battery that is heavy enough to accommodate a mini air compressor.

That's about it so far !

• Like 1

The most important farkle for me was a new seat.  The OEM seat is a 1-hour seat.  I tried a Sargent, and that is about a 2-hour seat.  Maybe 2.5.   And I sent my OEM seat to Russell Cycle Products, and now I have a seat that I can ride all day.

• Plus 1 1
18 minutes ago, Shuswaper said:

Well now, I just got my 23 RT 6 weeks ago and was pretty sure about what changes I would make.

So far, I have added rear crash bars to protect the panniers (in case I mess up somehow) and cylinder head cover/protectors.

I found that heavy and longer than stock stainless steel bar ends reduced some of the vibes I was feeling in the handle bars.

Also, I attached a front fender extender without using the double sided tape or drilling holes. Rather, I used ABS cement as a permanent solution.

The foot peg lowering kit was an essential add on for me, because knee pain was an issue. 

Next to come, is a pigtail attached to the battery that is heavy enough to accommodate a mini air compressor.

That's about it so far !

Pretty close to my own list. I went with the Machine Art Moto X-Head protectors and fender extension, Illium Works rear bars to protect the bags. I had a full 3M wrap done by the dealership prior to taking delivery of the bike to keep the very pretty Option 719 paint looking as good as possible as long as possible. The dealer had installed a battery charger lead already, I just fitted a Warm-n-safe socket to it for my heated jacket and for use with a tire pump. I speced the high seat option when I ordered to give me more height and leg room, I may or may not do peg lowering at some point; so far I'm finding it not too bad. I chose an SW Motech Pro Engage tank bag as the size was right for my needs and I wanted a bag that did not require straps or that would rub the paint. I applied a screen protector to the TFT as well to help keep it scratch free over time. The other item I got were pannier liners, I opted for a cheap set from Amazon that are actually pretty decently made.

• Like 1
On 6/4/2023 at 11:32 AM, EdM said:

Pretty close to my own list. I went with the Machine Art Moto X-Head protectors and fender extension, Illium Works rear bars to protect the bags. 

Are you happy with this fender extension?

On 6/4/2023 at 11:32 AM, EdM said:

Pretty close to my own list. I went with the Machine Art Moto X-Head protectors and fender extension, Illium Works rear bars to protect the bags. I had a full 3M wrap done by the dealership prior to taking delivery of the bike to keep the very pretty Option 719 paint looking as good as possible as long as possible. The dealer had installed a battery charger lead already, I just fitted a Warm-n-safe socket to it for my heated jacket and for use with a tire pump. I speced the high seat option when I ordered to give me more height and leg room, I may or may not do peg lowering at some point; so far I'm finding it not too bad. I chose an SW Motech Pro Engage tank bag as the size was right for my needs and I wanted a bag that did not require straps or that would rub the paint. I applied a screen protector to the TFT as well to help keep it scratch free over time. The other item I got were pannier liners, I opted for a cheap set from Amazon that are actually pretty decently made.

Regarding the Pannier liners you purchased from Amazon, which one's were they?  I'm looking at a set made by Bestem, just wondering if they are the same as those you bought.  I'm getting the TFT protector from the dealer, matter of fact, picking up the new ride this morning!  YAY!  I need to check out that tank bag you mentioned.  As far as I'm concerned, a good tank bag is a must have.  Thanks for your recommendations.

14 hours ago, kruuuzn said:

Are you happy with this fender extension?

Yes, It took about five minutes (maybe less) to install and fits perfectly - no drilling required and very secure as it uses a small screw and clamp to hold it not adhesive. Thus far it has kept the debris off the front of the engine as expected.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:28 AM, Cap said:

The most important farkle for me was a new seat.  The OEM seat is a 1-hour seat.  I tried a Sargent, and that is about a 2-hour seat.  Maybe 2.5.   And I sent my OEM seat to Russell Cycle Products, and now I have a seat that I can ride all day.

On the ride home today, I did one two hour stint.  I see what you mean about that seat.  I have an Air Hawk left over from my last bike.  I'm going to give that a try first, if it doesn't work, I'll have to give the RDL a try.  Maybe I can find a used front half of a seat from a wreck to send them instead of sidelining the bike for a few weeks.  Thanks for the heads up, I appreaciate it.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on extra brake light(s) and where I can find precut paint protection film for my saddlebags?

19 hours ago, alexp said:

Russell Seat! It's a must!.  Extra brake lights too. 

Where do I find extra brake lights?

Motorhead1977

Do their seats add height or can they make a seat for 29" inseam folks? Couldn't find anything about that on their website.

48 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Do their seats add height or can they make a seat for 29" inseam folks? Couldn't find anything about that on their website.

I'm assuming that they, like Russell, gets your measurements, weight, height, inseam, etc, then custom makes your seat based on that data.  

11 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Does your new bike come have the top case?   

If so,  add the OEM auxiliary brake light  (part # 77 51 8 520 044)  along with the Clearwater Billie Jr. I posted about.  ^^  (they can be used with the Clearwater Darlas with one CANopener)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Skene   Lots of options.  Compatible with CANBUS.  They have a proprietary “flicker” that improves their conspicuity.  

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
2 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

Do they use your existing seat pan?

Yes. I rode in, he did the alterations, then I took it for a test ride. And it’s a heated seat too, which is still functional. 

2 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

He’s been doing this for a long time, so I’m sure he can help you out. I’d give him a call. I ran into him at my dealership the other day when he approached me as I was saddling up on my gsa and that got me thinking about altering that seat too, and although it’s miles better than the stock rt seat, there is room for improvement. 

edit:  he also attends a few ralllies throughout the year. 

Does Bestem have liners for 1250RT or are they only for the later 1200's ? They say 1200RT, 2014+ years.

h

Wow.  You guys add a lot of stuff to your bikes.

I must be some kind of piker I suppose.

Only thing I added was a decent mount for the GoPro which runs full time.

AD

i-sTD969M-XL.jpg

3 hours ago, bimmers said:

Does Bestem have liners for 1250RT or are they only for the later 1200's ? They say 1200RT, 2014+ years.

h

I have an email to Bestem, asking them.  I may just order a set, see if they work, if not, I'll return them.

6 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

I have an email to Bestem, asking them.  I may just order a set, see if they work, if not, I'll return them.

I have Bestem liners.  They fit the cases on both my 2017 R1200RT and my 2019 R1250RT.  

7 hours ago, Cap said:

I have Bestem liners.  They fit the cases on both my 2017 R1200RT and my 2019 R1250RT.  

Thank you.  I was thinking they would work.  I'm going to order a set, if they don't work, I'll send them back.

On 6/11/2023 at 6:49 AM, wbw6cos said:

If so,  add the OEM auxiliary brake light  (part # 77 51 8 520 044)  along with the Clearwater Billie Jr. I posted about.  ^^  (they can be used with the Clearwater Darlas with one CANopener)

Do you know if you can connect those Clearwater lights to a HEX EZcan instead? That's the unit the makers of the GS-911 sell. It gives you the option of not only air horns (with no relay), but 2 sets of auxiliary lights, and a brake light, with a ton of programming options. No sense in having 2 similar CANbus units, but maybe it's not possible. Oh, and where do you connect the CANopener? To the TPMS module too? Thank you.

• Thanks 1
Motorhead1977

AFAIK you can use either the HEX EZCan or the Canopener.  I saw nothing in the install instructions for my Clearwaters that indicated I was required to use the CANopener exclusinvely. 

• Plus 1 1

Originally, I only purchased the Darlas.  A year later I bought the Billie Jr. and found that I did not need to obtain another CANopener as they had an extra wire to use for any brakelight add-on. 

The CANopener ties into the TPMS harness.

Thanks.  

14 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Originally, I only purchased the Darlas.  A year later I bought the Billie Jr. and found that I did not need to obtain another CANopener as they had an extra wire to use for any brakelight add-on. 

The CANopener ties into the TPMS harness.

Thanks.  

Only can opener I travel with is a P38.  Seriously, you guys are talking WAY over my head. What is a CANOpener?

• Haha 1
Motorhead1977

It's an interface between the CANbus system on your vehicle (BMW motorcycle) that allows you to easily add auxiliary lights and other things. Ask the Google about the Clearwater CANopener or the HEX EZcan.

Motorhead1977

#Steveyacht, I stand corrected. I do know about those. Been many long times since I've seen one though. Thanks 👍

• Smile 1
21 hours ago, ELP said:

Do you know if you can connect those Clearwater lights to a HEX EZcan …?

I hooked up Skene lights using a EZCan 2 on my 2017 RT.  But the EZCan had a manufacturing defect related to operating temperature…. So on my 2019, I chose to wire my Skene lights directly into the BMW brake wiring harness.  

in retrospect, I think I prefer not having the EZCan.  But my 2019 RT came with auxiliary lights installed at the factory, and a handlebar switch to turn them on/off.  So, if I needed to add auxiliary lights on a bike, like I did to my 2017 RT, then the EZCan is the way to go.  BTW, Hex replaced the defective unit without hassle.

• Like 1

Regarding the seat height / footpeg lowering, I ordered my 23RT with a BMW Tall Saddle, and then put it on the taller setting. Gives you an extra 2" of height. 

(This was an option my dealer didn't know about but I found on the BMW website.... they offer a low saddle, standard saddle, and tall saddle, and then the height adjustment widget on the bike)

Most of the things you've added are the same I've added other than a taller windscreen. 

The brake light on the top case is a great thing but I am looking to make it a running light as well as a brake light (after a few night rides with a buddy following me giving me this feedback)

Last thing I'm going to add is the RDL saddle - stock doesn't cut it for me. While it works for my wife, we both need to be comfortable. 

Go ride and have fun! 

Jim

• Like 1

That looks like a good idea.

It mounts under the license plate?

How do you stop somebody from just unscrewing the plate?

35 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

To prevent the screws from being removed, you can use tamper-proof screws.

Morning Hosstage

I think it already comes with those.

"attaches easily behind license plate and/or frame with supplied security bolts"

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Hosstage

I think it already comes with those.

"attaches easily behind license plate and/or frame with supplied security bolts"

Ahhhh yes. Sorry guys. I should have read that closer. I’m looking for bike parts as I’m riding in the car with the wife driving and you know how THAT is!

😁

As DR said it comes complete with security bolts.  Never had a problem and I know many others using the same with issue. 

Being as I'm the guy who began this thread, I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond, I learned a great deal.  I thought I would let you all know what I have purchased accessorize my new R1250RT.  So here goes, in no particular order. 

1)  Clear paint protection appliques for the tops of the panniers from Auto Trim Design.  Precut for the specific bike.  Great stuff, very nice people. 

2) Givi 5 Liter Tank Bag and gas cap mounting hardware, from Amazon.  Not cheap, but very high quality. Works perfectly for me.

3) Heed front and rear crash bars, from the Heed Ebay Store. Delivered to my door in under 5 days from Poland.  Excellent quality. High end stainless steel hardware.  Cost less that the other big two, including shipping.  Some may not like the way they look, I do.  Great protection.  About 2.5 to hours to install, using a lift and helper.  Easy instructions, just have to take your time.

4) Grip Puppies, Ebay

5) Hella Plug Din to USB adaptor with voltmeter. Amazon

6) Bestem Saddlebag liners.  Very nice!  they were on sale at their Ebay store.

7) Helmet Lock and cable, Amazon

8) Web 3/4" Strap and buckle kit from Ebay. I made some adjustable web straps to replace the funky elastic ones inside the saddlebags.

9) Larger kickstand foot and extension from Amazon.  Don't want the new scoot to sink into fresh asphalt.  Amazon

10) Seat lowering bushings, Amazon.  Great item to help us vertically challenged individuals.  Rubber bushings with the mounting hole off center to allow adjustments to lowering the seat.

11) Being as this is my very first BMW, I had to buy some of the obligatory swag: BMW Branded  Tee shirts, Sweat Shirt, Cap, Some patches that my wife sewed on my riding jacket, all of which were found on Ebay.

12) TFT Screen Protector from Speedo Angels in England.

13) Finally, my lovely wife asked how old my current helmets are, I told her one was 13 or 14 and the other about 4.  She then bought me a new helmet.  A new HJC RPHA 91, from Champion Helmets in the Netherlands.  She said that it was the best price she could find, about $70 less than the others, including shipping. Got it in less than a week.  Don't know how they do it. Note on new helmet.  First time I wore it was on the 280 mile round trim to the dealer for bike's first service.  BIG MISTAKE!  Felt like I had an ice cream headache all damned day.  That really sucked.  Must break in first.  DUH!  It sure is a nice crash hat though........ vents you can actually feel!

14) Dust/Travel Cover, Free, given to me by friend who had one laying around his shop that was for his previous bike. Fits like it was made for my R1250RT. 

15)  Front Fender Extension from Machine Art Moto. SO Easy to install, maybe 5 minutes.  Why BMW doesn't make fender longer I will never understand.

Only a couple of things left.  A tail pack and the HJC head set that's compatible with my new helmet. 

Thought y'all would be curious as to what I decided on.  Feel free to ask any questions.   Thanks again for all your help!

Steve

Edited by Steveyacht
added a couple items
  • Like 1