IGNORED

GS-911, MotoScan, LED's, etc

KetoSoi

I was looking to upgrade my GS-911 Legacy to the newer version. They have a new USB version which is priced a little high, and the Wifi version which is dang pricey. I read their trade-in program regarding $100 for a Enthusiast version, figuring I would go ahead and pick up the new USB version. Still pricey at $299, but I figured with a $100 trade, not too bad of a deal. Well, after checking the 'fine print' as it were, turns out the trade-in value is only valid towards a wifi version. At that point, definitely not worth it to me. $399 to $299 for a wifi and I give them my legacy version... or $299 for a USB version, and keep my legacy version.  I'm really not saving anything, especially if wifi doesnt buy me anything for my purposes. Just makes the whole exercise a bit shady IMHO. Its a fine product, and theyve put their work into it, cant say enough good things about the technical aspects, but the upgrade path sucks.

After being bummed out, I came across the MotoScan app in various threads here, and other BMW Motorrad resources on the 'net, and it piqued my curiosity. I already own a UniCarScan 2100, so I picked up a OBD2 to BMW 10-pin adapter for $12 off of Amazon. Downloaded MotoScan to see how much of my bike it could read, and was pretty dang impressed. Every notable service function covered, TONS of code options, and plenty more. I ended up purchasing the Ultimate version, for the price, its hard to beat IMHO. I'll hold on to my GS-911 Legacy as a backup plan, but its officially in the mothball fleet now. Moving along...

I've had quite an adventure converting my '09 RT to all LED's. Was able to cover all bulbs with trial & error, EXCEPT the frik'n P21W tail/brake light bulbs. Never found an LED P21W/1156/BA15S the ZFE was happy with, and I've tried at least a dozen. Some would pop a Lamp Fault immediately, others would take about 15 minutes to pop the fault. "Canbus error free", etc, nothing fooled the ZFE for any length of time (yes yes, we know... no lectures on the meaning of 'canbus' please, this is the slang usage of the word). I had just about given up, and was going to drop in typical 1156 bulbs and be done with it.

Most of the K26 Hexheads, as I understand it, do have the LED retrofit options in the ZFE settings. The new generation GS-911 supposedly covers those settings, and MotoScan certainly does. There are 2 settings that are worth noting:

LED_KL54_OUTPUT - seems to affect just the tail/brake bulb, worked for me with LED's in place.

LED_KL58R_OUTPUT - for those that have issues with Turn Signal bulbs. Didnt need this one myself, but flipped it on anyways.

Theres quite a few other settings regarding 'lights', still exploring those.

K

motoscan02.jpg

pwillikers

My Vehicle: '11 R12RT (K26,0440)

Excellent work on your part.  I've spent sometime rooting through the MotoScan coding options while attempting to calibrate the ESA II.  The naming of the coding options is obtuse and hence it is intimidating to make changes in relative darkness.  I have been unable to locate any coding documentation.  Here are my efforts.

I am hopeful that we as a community can create a dictionary of the coding nomenclature, the options and their consequences.   Please continue to post all you discover, particularly with respect to eliminating LED error messages which would be of great interest to many.

3 hours ago, pwillikers said:

My Vehicle: '11 R12RT (K26,0440)

Excellent work on your part.  I've spent sometime rooting through the MotoScan coding options while attempting to calibrate the ESA II.  The naming of the coding options is obtuse and hence it is intimidating to make changes in relative darkness.  I have been unable to locate any coding documentation.  Here are my efforts.

I am hopeful that we as a community can create a dictionary of the coding nomenclature, the options and their consequences.   Please continue to post all you discover, particularly with respect to eliminating LED error messages which would be of great interest to many.

Heh, thanks. Was just reading your thread. You arent kidding about the naming of code options, obtuse is an understatement. Was digging around this Morning, from what I have been able to discover, there is a 'document' regarding ZFE functions, but it is internal to BMW only, i.e. not publicly published, and is entirely in German. It would explain some of the more 'interesting' acronyms, as they are likely based on German wording, making them even more difficult to transcribe to English equivalents.

Maybe a good time to start a MotoScan code master thread, and see if it can be made a sticky.

K