IGNORED

BMW Motorrad OBD "Coding", definitions and options using MotoScan and OBDLink MX+

pwillikers

WARNING: Wladimir, the developer of MotoScan, has strongly cautioned against modifying any of the code settings as they have been set from the factory and the results could be undesirable and irreversible.  I extend his caution to you. 

Having made the aforementioned caution, I present my dilemma.

I purchased the MotoScan Ultimate android app., an OBDLink MX+ adapter and an OBD<->BMW cable.  I bought these items based on recommendations from the developer of MotoScan app. for the purpose of "calibrating the ESA" on my 2011 BMW R1200RT (Model: K26, 0440) which came fitted with the ESA2 option.

Unfortunately, after repeated attempts, I am unable to accomplish this function.  The application does communicate successfully with the motorcycle. I can examine many parameters, clear trouble codes, view real-time values etc. but all attempts at calibrating the ESA fail.   I emailed with the app developer with screenshots of the app's failure, the app's log file etc.  His guidance was that "from the Coding list - the front ESA sensors are not present. The calibration is not available for the front suspension."

This is perplexing.  What does it mean that the "front ESA sensors are not present"?   My RT obviously does have ESA2.  The front shock has control wires connected to its damping adjuster.   There are no related error codes present.  Does this mean the front shock absorber has failed needs rebuilding?  Why would it be "deactivated" from the factory?

MotoScan displays an elaborate set of "coding" options.  The most interesting ones are available within the "KOMBI (instrument cluster)" and "ZFE (chassis computer)".  Some are very intriguing and most are cryptic.  I have googled extensively but am unable to find any documentation at all.

Are any of you able to provide BMW motorrad "coding" documentation, definitions and options?  I would really like to learn about these capabilities.

I have attached screenshots from MotoScan with any and all coding options related to ESA.  If you can decipher the abbreviations, I'll catalog them.

Screenshot_20230305_160838_MotoScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230305_160846_MotoScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230305_160854_MotoScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230305_160910_MotoScan.jpg

16 hours ago, pwillikers said:

WARNING: Wladimir, the developer of MotoScan, has strongly cautioned against modifying any of the code settings as they have been set from the factory and the results could be undesirable and irreversible.  I extend his caution to you. 

I purchased the MotoScan Ultimate android app., an OBDLink MX+ adapter and an OBD<->BMW cable.  I bought these items based on recommendations from the developer of MotoScan app. for the purpose of "calibrating the ESA" on my 2011 BMW R1200RT (Model: K26, 0440) which came fitted with the ESA2 option.

Unfortunately, after repeated attempts, I am unable to accomplish this function.  The application does communicate successfully with the motorcycle. I can examine many parameters, clear trouble codes, view real-time values etc. but all attempts at calibrating the ESA fail.   I emailed with the app developer with screenshots of the app's failure, the app's log file etc.  His guidance was that "from the Coding list - the front ESA sensors are not present. The calibration is not available for the front suspension."

This is perplexing.  What does it mean that the "front ESA sensors are not present"?   My RT obviously does have ESA2.  The front shock has control wires connected to its damping adjuster.   There are no related error codes present.  Does this mean the front shock absorber has failed needs rebuilding?  Why would it be "deactivated" from the factory?

MotoScan displays an elaborate set of "coding" options.  The most interesting ones are available within the "KOMBI (instrument cluster)" and "ZFE (chassis computer)".  Some are very intriguing and most are cryptic.  I have googled extensively but am unable to find any documentation at all.

Are any of you able to provide BMW motorrad "coding" documentation, definitions and options?  I would really like to learn about these capabilities.

I have attached screenshots from MotoScan with any and all coding options related to ESA.  If you can decipher the abbreviations, I'll catalog them.

Morning pwillikers

I'm not sure how much help this will be but possibly something in the below can help guide you to finding your answers.  

I don't have or use a MotoScan myself so about all I can tell you on those is that I have had great difficulty in working with others that provide me MotoScan fault codes & MotoScan related information. In a lot of cases the MotoScan faults don't line up with known BMW fault codes. It seems to not stay specific to the actual motorcycle being scanned (I get codes & code abbreviations sent to me that are not even used on the BMW motorcycle that I am assisting with). It does seem to find a fault or faults with part of the system we are dealing with (so it does seem to show some faults present) but the faults are not always usable due to not properly matching BMW known fault codes. It also seems to show a number of non-related faults or system faults that are not even used ON the motorcycle we are working on. 

So my guess (just a guess on my part) is that a lot of the above system deactivated or system items that you show are not even used on your particular motorcycle. 

Does your front strut even have any feed-back sensor or sensors for height?   It doesn't have a spring height motor like the 1200GSA did.   (how many wires are coming out of the front strut?)

My BMW service manual shows to do the calibration with both front & rear wheels off the ground (no load). 

In any case my best suggestion is to try calling Ted Porter  (831) 438-1100 as he is about the best BMW suspension guru that I know of (that will actually talk to you). Just keep in mind that he is a major seller of the GS-911 so walk softly when referring to MotoScan codes or functions. But he is probably the best option to explain to you exactly how your ESA II functions & what sensor feedback it produces. 

Screenshot_20230305_160838_MotoScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230305_160846_MotoScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230305_160854_MotoScan.jpg

Screenshot_20230305_160910_MotoScan.jpg

Not sure this'll be of any help to you, but I bought the same Motoscan Ultimate app, an OBD LX adapter and an ODB to BMW adapter cable a couple of months ago after my GS-911 WiFi's connecting head broke and that was the final straw with that unit.

I'd bought my '13 RT only a month or so before, and in addition to wanting to check for fault codes and to set the service minder as far out as possible I wanted to calibrate its harsh OEM suspension hoping that's what it needed to become more compliant. The suspension calibration process went through without issue, and no fault codes of any kind were present. I remember looking through the same Motoscan screens you've provided (among others), and all looked right to me regarding what was activated or deactivated based upon equipment on my bike, but I really don't remember what it may have displayed about front suspension, if anything.

I'm pretty sure I did the suspension calibration with the bike running and not just the ignition turned on, as I'd read somewhere that was necessary because of the electrical draw during the calibration sequence. I know also that calibration made a huge difference, as the suspension went from being very harsh in all three damping modes (like nearly knock-me-off-the-road harsh when leaned over in a bumpy corner) to compliant and controllable (for OEM suspension with a few miles on it).  

Good luck in getting yours sorted.

Thank you to you both for the speedy and through responses.

It is dismaying to learn that MotoScan would present error codes that are inconsistent with the known BMW codes.  I can't conceive of a rational for doing so.  I have repeatedly asked the MotoScan developer to provide a reference document for the error codes and the coding options MotoScan displays.  He has not done so.

My failed attempts at calibrating the ESA were done with the engine running on the center stand; rear wheel off the ground, front wheel minimally weighted.

I have spent a bit of time on Ted Porter's website.  According to his video on the subject the ESA2 shocks have squared off aluminum "eyelet", where ESA1 shocks have a rounded one.  I've attached a pic of my front shock showing that it is clearly ESA2.  From what I've read on the RT, ESA2 front suspensions only modify the damping and not the spring preload or spring rate.  Alternatively the ESA2 rear suspension modify all three.  I'm relatively certain RT ESA2 front shocks don't have a travel sensor.

My motivation for re-calibrating the ESA is that the suspension (on my '11 RT that I just purchased in December 2022) is very harsh, not at all what I'd expect from a touring oriented suspension.   Additionally, there is very little, actually imperceptible, difference between the three damping settings.  I was hoping a re-calibration would alleviate the harshness and introduce some damping differentiation.

JDUB, (is 53 the year of your birth, mine is and I grew up in Lansdale, PA :-) congratulations on accomplishing exactly what I'm pursuing.   If you can spare the effort I'd be very interested in comparing your "coding" settings from MotoScan->ZFE for the ESA related options (the same screenshots that I've posted above).  It may give me a hint as to how to proceed.  

I'm not giving up.

Again, thanks to you both.

IMG_20230307_145144.jpg

Evening  pwillikers

Yes, that is an ESA II front shock.  That should be able to do a spring rate change but not a spring load change.  

Az1Tcfe.jpg

Thank you to you both for the speedy and through responses.

It is dismaying to learn that MotoScan would present error codes that are inconsistent with the known BMW codes.  I can't conceive of a rational for doing so.  I have repeatedly asked the MotoScan developer to provide a reference document for the error codes and the coding options MotoScan displays.  He has not done so.

My failed attempts at calibrating the ESA were done with the engine running on the center stand; rear wheel off the ground, front wheel minimally weighted.

I have spent a bit of time on Ted Porter's website.  According to his video on the subject the ESA2 shocks have squared off aluminum "eyelet", where ESA1 shocks have a rounded one.  I've attached a pic of my front shock showing that it is clearly ESA2.  From what I've read on the RT, ESA2 front suspensions only modify the damping and not the spring preload or spring rate.  Alternatively the ESA2 rear suspension modify all three.  I'm relatively certain RT ESA2 front shocks don't have a travel sensor.

My motivation for re-calibrating the ESA is that the suspension (on my '11 RT that I just purchased in December 2022) is very harsh, not at all what I'd expect from a touring oriented suspension.   Additionally, there is very little, actually imperceptible, difference between the three damping settings.  I was hoping a re-calibration would alleviate the harshness and introduce some damping differentiation.

JDUB, (is 53 the year of your birth, mine is and I grew up in Lansdale, PA :-) congratulations on accomplishing exactly what I'm pursuing.   If you can spare the effort I'd be very interested in comparing your "coding" settings from MotoScan->ZFE for the ESA related options (the same screenshots that I've posted above).  It may give me a hint as to how to proceed.  

I'm not giving up.

Again, thanks to you both.

IMG_20230307_145144.jpg

Hi Paul,

I was born in '59. The '53' in my screen name is a homage to the CH-53D helicopters on which I was a flight line mechanic/crew chief for my first couple of years while in the Marine Corps, which were then followed by VH-3D (Marine One) helicopters.

What you described in your paragraph about your reason behind wanting to calibrate your RT's suspension could have been written word for word by me after buying mine. It was the harshest, most unforgiving suspension I'd ever experienced - and as you said certainly very much out of place on a touring-type bike. If my wife had taken one ride as a passenger on the RT in that condition, she never would have gotten back on it.

A small town about 40 miles from my home has five consecutive, closely spaced railroad track crossings on their main street, and one day I rode back and forth across those tracks at differing speeds alternating between all three of the ESA damping settings. Zero difference between the settings as far as I could tell, certainly unlike the three ESA damping settings on the 2014 R1200GS I'd just traded for my RT. If calibration failed to improve things, I was resigned to buying aftermarket suspension immediately. Fortunately, after ESA calibration it became a whole different bike and now new shocks will be a few more years out.

As requested, below are the consecutive screen shots from the Coding sub-index of my Motoscan/OBD LX set-up which I took this morning. I began with the same entry shown on your first screen shot, then scrolled down to each consecutive until I reached the end. There were numerous other Coding pages above where I began, and let me know if there's something missing or something else you'd like to see. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20230308_092031_MotoScan.thumb.jpg.c0486b5c09d450c16a5448977439f77f.jpgScreenshot_20230308_092044_MotoScan.thumb.jpg.70eb76e1dc91a4695c8c877c677ee67c.jpgScreenshot_20230308_092110_MotoScan.thumb.jpg.1307fe16ea996e28ed21849c885ccefe.jpg

Thank you JDUB.  I very much appreciate your effort.

I've examined the ZFE coding you provided.  I can discern nothing different from what mine shows.   Therefore, the only divergence in our processes is that you used an OBDLink LX and I used an OBDLink MX+ (and of course they are different bikes).  I doubt that's the issue but to be thorough, I'll reach out to OBDLink and get their take. 

While scratching my head and staring at the bike, I discovered that the rear shock is now leaking.  There is significant oily grunge on the lower shock body.  Could this be the issue, a failed rear shock?  In any case, it looks like additional work will be required before I can debug the ESA calibration failure any further.

I researched alternatives for replacing the shock from The Beemershop and EPM Performance Imports.  It looks like close to $1000. for a Wilbers replacement rear shock which retains the ESA function which is transferred from the failed OEM shock  This might be the best replacement option but it is expensive.  I spoke with EPM on the phone.  Nice guys.  They also offer a rebuild service of the OEM shock and it comes with a one year guarantee.  They estimated around $300. but it is subject to change depending on the parts required.  They do bench test and confirm ESA function after the rebuild.  So, I pulled the rear shock and sent it off to EPM.  They estimate a ten day turn around.

Hopefully the rebuilt shock will have differentiation between the damping settings and will be compliant on "comfort".   I'll report back when it's all back together.

Not sure about the Camhead RT OEM shocks, but I'd talked with the owner of Cogent Dynamics (suspension gurus in NC) a few years ago about the OEM Showa ESA shocks on my '14 R1200GS. He'd rebuilt several of these shocks already, and said he was pretty impressed with their quality. Although they weren't designed by Showa to be rebuildable, all it took for him to do so was to add a nitrogen fill port to the shock body. The ones he'd done hadn't required many parts either, verifying the original quality built into them.

Based upon what he'd seen, he told me unless the shocks started leaking oil or their damping had deteriorated to the point I couldn't ride with them any longer to overhaul at 100k miles. I'd already noted some damping change by 50k miles, but traded the bike at 74k miles with no leakage from the shocks.

Looking forward to hearing of your experience after the rebuild on the RT shocks.

Similarly the folks at Accelerated Technologies rebuild the OEM suspension and if you are in the US the exchange rate versus the Canadian dollar makes it even more economical.

Back to the "coding" the ZFE subject, I received the following from the developer of MotoScan:

"We don't have any documentation for the codings. There are the BMW internal documents and are not available for anyone outside of BMW development."

• Like 1

I'd never thought about this error coding issue until you started this thread. I guess MotoScan's reply makes sense, which should also mean any codes read by a GS-911 device would have the same issue. Having owned/used both, I still prefer MotoScan.

24 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

I'd never thought about this error coding issue until you started this thread. I guess MotoScan's reply makes sense, which should also mean any codes read by a GS-911 device would have the same issue. Having owned/used both, I still prefer MotoScan.

Morning jdub53

As I mentioned above I don't own or use a MotoScan myself. But I have worked with other BMW owners that have sent me MotoScan fault codes to help them diagnose problems or issues. Some of the fault codes sent to me line up with the known BMW fault codes for the same component or system failure but others do not line up or match either the BMW or GS-911 fault codes for the same  component or system failure.   

• 3 weeks later...

After having the rear shock rebuilt by EPM, I am now able to reliably "Calibrate the Rear ESA" and all rear suspension functions now seem to operate properly.  Now to the front shock.

• Like 1