IGNORED

Keyless Tank Cap

GreyWarden

Hello everybody.

I have been dealing with nagging issue on my 2017 R1200RT-LC that has everybody involved quite stumped. The keyless tank cap is not locking, neither automatically not by locking the bike with the keyfob and handlebar button. Completely and totally dead, but at least i can refill at will.

Before committing to buying a $400+ part that may or may not fix my issue, I tried swapping a known good tank cap out of a 2021 R1250RT: the only difference is the filler neck but it has the same part #, same everything. Much to my puzzlement the known good tank cap is actually stuck in locked position when installed on my bike, reverting to functioning when installed on the original bike. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I have scanned my bike with GS911 and I got fault code 0x80401D "Tank switch error" in both cases. I can supply all relevant GS911 data if needed: while testing the bike it was hooked to a battery charger maintaining a steady 13,6V supply. The only other thing I can add is I can clearly hear the solenoid energizing in both tank caps when connecting to the bike with ignition off.

Apart with neverending issues with OE Exide batteries (three warranty replacements before switching to Yuasa), the central locking feature has been the only issue I've had with this bike in six years: both side cases locking mechanisms were replaced under warranty. It's more of an annoyance than everything, but with fuel as expensive as it is I wouldn't mind having a working tank cap lock.

Thanks in advance to everybody who will reply.

In case you don't completely understand how the locking/unlocking system with the gas cap works;

The gas cap automatically locks when the power is turned on, on the bike.

When the power is turned off, the gas cap immediately unlocks and stays unlocked until the power goes into sleep mode, at which time, it re-locks automatically.

To open the gas cap you must cycle power to the bike on, then off again so the cap unlocks. 

Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, GreyWarden said:

Hello everybody.

I have been dealing with nagging issue on my 2017 R1200RT-LC that has everybody involved quite stumped. The keyless tank cap is not locking, neither automatically not by locking the bike with the keyfob and handlebar button. Completely and totally dead, but at least i can refill at will.

Before committing to buying a $400+ part that may or may not fix my issue, I tried swapping a known good tank cap out of a 2021 R1250RT: the only difference is the filler neck but it has the same part #, same everything. Much to my puzzlement the known good tank cap is actually stuck in locked position when installed on my bike, reverting to functioning when installed on the original bike. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I have scanned my bike with GS911 and I got fault code 0x80401D "Tank switch error" in both cases. I can supply all relevant GS911 data if needed: while testing the bike it was hooked to a battery charger maintaining a steady 13,6V supply. The only other thing I can add is I can clearly hear the solenoid energizing in both tank caps when connecting to the bike with ignition off.

Apart with neverending issues with OE Exide batteries (three warranty replacements before switching to Yuasa), the central locking feature has been the only issue I've had with this bike in six years: both side cases locking mechanisms were replaced under warranty. It's more of an annoyance than everything, but with fuel as expensive as it is I wouldn't mind having a working tank cap lock.

Thanks in advance to everybody who will reply.

In my opinion key fob locking gas caps are just another not needed not wanted piece of gadgetry to you have to fool with and one more thing to F up.  I rode for over 40 years on a variety of street bikes without any sort of locking mechanism and no one ever stole gas or tampered with my gas.  If I could get a non key fob cap I most definately would.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, knupla2 said:

In case you don't completely understand how the locking/unlocking system with the gas cap works;

When the power is turned off, the gas cap immediately unlocks and stays unlocked until the power goes into sleep mode, at which time, it re-locks automatically.

To open the gas cap you must cycle power to the bike on, then off again so the cap unlocks. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately the problem was the second gas cap was permanently locked, even after cycling the ignition on and off. I had to remove the front part of the rim to open and remove it.

To carry out more tests I have ordered a cheap gas cap from a breaker so I have no need to borrow and return anything: I'll report back any findings!

I don't know this, but it is possible that the gas caps are keyed to the fob for the bike.

Swapping another gas cap to your bike may require it to be programmed to recognize the power to/from the specific bike.

Might be worth calling a dealer and asking.

3 hours ago, cookie said:

Website says that they are discontinued - ?

Yes I saw that after I shared the link but I am sure you can find another.  I remember reading a post where the guy replaced the locking gas cap with a non locking one but I think that was pretty major surgery.  I just cant remember where I read the post at.

I do not like the locking cap either but I have always assisted it closing which I understand helps keep it working.  Bot my 15 RT and my 17 GS have never given me an issue and I have a ring on it for my tank bag.

All I know is those screws are very sensitive to even torque and as said, those front two matter a bunch.  I use blue locktite on mine.

Kerry in Mpls
On 4/26/2023 at 7:19 AM, knupla2 said:

Hope this helps.

My 2016 GS manual says (paraphrasing...):

If more than 2 minutes have passed after power off -- with fob nearby, lift the lever on gas cap gently to cause bike to query the fob (dash light blinks) and unlock cap. Then lift lever a second time to open cap.

Works for me.

Kerry in Mpls
On 4/27/2023 at 1:30 PM, knupla2 said:

I don't know this, but it is possible that the gas caps are keyed to the fob for the bike.

Swapping another gas cap to your bike may require it to be programmed to recognize the power to/from the specific bike.

Might be worth calling a dealer and asking.

Nope, I replaced the keyless gas cap on my 2016 GS (would not lock) with one from a salvaged bike, works fine.

This topic surfaces periodically when the wethead gas cap lock fails.  I recently posted some pictures for my solution in this previous thread.  I removed the locking mechanism and I now have a gas cap that opens and closes easily, and does not throw DTC codes.

cap

• Plus 1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
GreyWarden

Sorry for the delay but I wanted to make sure I got the problem solved.

The cheap fuel cap from breaker has been installed and tested for a little while: everything works as it should now and the cap itself is not even in bad cosmetic shape to boot. Fault codes cleared and they haven't presented themselves again... yet. ;) Compared to dealership price, whatever it lasts, it's a victory in my book. If anybody is interested the fuel cap is the same as used in the S1000XR and F900GS-A.

I literally have no clue why the second fuel cap was throwing fits like it did, but this one worked flawlessly from the moment it was installed.

Thanks everybody folks for the help and see you on the road.

• 6 months later...

I had this happen to me on my 2016 wet head. If you look inside the tank rim closely, you will see there is a little tiny piston that moves back-and-forth like a solenoid to lock and unlock the cap. I moved it around with a dental tool and lubed it, and the problem was solved, hope this helps.