IGNORED

2020 1250RT problems

Dingo55

Hi Mark,

The '19 - '20 models are essentially the same.  On my '19 RT, I have 44,400 +/- miles and the only things that would be close to significant problems are the costs for tires, fuel, and brakes.  :rofl:

On a more serious note, the exhaust flapper valve started making a loud squeaking noise when it cycled at ignition-on aroud the 6 k mile mark, but other than that, nothing else.   The dealer looked into it and "applied some grease," but that did not last very long.   After about several weeks, it started happening again.   I eventually sprayed some lube in there myself when I do a service or change the rear tire.   I use THIS spray lube.  It lasts a lot longer; at least to the 6 k mile service.   I spray it into the shaft of the butterfly on both the top and bottom and cycle the valve a few times.

Hope your RT gives you plenty of iissue free miles.

So far.....

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks for that

How widespread is this issue?

Causes? Unburnt fuel? Climate?

Can the valve be removed successfully ?

Cheers

Mark

17 minutes ago, Dingo55 said:

Thanks for that    you are welcome

How widespread is this issue?   unknown to me.   Just something to keep an ear on.   Not a big deal, really.

Causes? Unburnt fuel? Climate?   cannot say for certain.  the bike gets ridden daily, every other week for commuting and BMWST events far and near.

Can the valve be removed successfully ?   not likely, as it is part (permanent) of the exhasust system, though I read somewhere online about someone bypassing that valve, but it siezed up on them.  Doubt that happens a lot.  I did not mean to alarm you about it.  The issue, howver insignificant is is, was the only issue that I have experienced.  Do a search on this forum about it.   Quite a few state that it is normal on some bikes and they have learned to live with it.  See my original post HERE.   No worries.

Cheers

Mark

9 minutes ago, Dingo55 said:

How problematic is it to not have access to the bmw tech info in regards to self servicing    not very problematic if you can watch a few youtube videos.  Allow me to introduce you to @Boxflyer and some of his beneficial servicing info - LINKY

Cheers 

Mark 

Thanks for the info

Much appreciated

I have used Boxflyer's wonderful productions previously also very much appreciated 

Thank you

Cheers

Mark   

• 2 weeks later...
John R1250RT

Hello William,

Might want to give "Mouse Milk" a try.  It's recommended to use on the gate of the turbo charger on one of my airplanes and it seems to work well.  It's designed for high heat. 

John 

MOUSE MILK 2.jpg

MOUSE MILK 1.jpg

• Thanks 1
John R1250RT

That is crazy isn't it....  "It takes extremes of heat and cold," "keep away from heat or open flame." 

Oxymoron

Apply it when the pipe is cold :18:

• Smile 1
24 minutes ago, 56-100 MARY said:

That is crazy isn't it....  "It takes extremes of heat and cold," "keep away from heat or open flame." 

Oxymoron

Afternoon  56-100 MARY

Not really, those type products usually have a somewhat volatile liquid carrier that evaporates after application.  Once applied & the carrier flashes off then the actual lubrication part is probably fairly heat stable. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
profbodryak

Dingo55, I used a servo buddy on my '15 RT and it completely solved the issue. Luckily the default position of the flapper valve is when it's open, so install with the bike off. It will eliminate the error code (no check engine light) but keep the valve in the open position permanently.