IGNORED

R 1250 RT noise at start-up sequence (fuel pump?)

wbw6cos

About 3 or 4 seconds after I hit the ignition button to begin the start-up process, I hear a medium-to-high pitched squeaky chirp (for lack of a better term.)  It is a real brief noise (less than a second.)  It sounds as if it is coming from inside the tank,  due to the echo sound it makes.  I am guessing it is the fuel pump.  I cannot remember if that noise was like that from the beginning and it has taken me this long to notice it, or what.  I have 8,220 miles on it and ride it daily to work, but in the last few weeks, I have become more aware of it.

I know that the new 1250 RT uses the latest wethead chassis with the motor being the only difference, but what about the fuel pump?  Is it the same or different?   Has anyone with the Shift Cam motor noticed the sound of the fuel pump being loud?   

I posted this here thinking that the Shift Cam motor may have a different fuel pump than the other wetheads.  If it the same then I may ask this in the Wet Heads forum to see if this is a normal sound or my fuel pump is getting ready for..........well, you know.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

On my '17 RS the squeak noise is the exhaust flapper going through it's check (close/open) when the bike is turned on.  Does it just about every time and it is louder on mine than a couple of others I've heard.

Frank

I guess I need to check a little further aft than the fuel tank.  Does it sound similar to mine in the video?  I had my phone touching the tank, near where I think it originates. 

Back out to go listen to the muffler.  Now that I think about it, I had to loosen the muffler clamp in the dealer parking lot during a tire shopping spree in south GA. (SECFF lunch in Vidalia.)   Maybe I did not re-set everything properly.  I had a tough time on that clamp/muffler twist.  Just sayin'

Just went out to check with an ear near the muffler and, low and behold, that is where the noise is coming from.  Wow!  Thanks for the suggestion on where to look. 

Standing on the left side of the bike at start-up makes it seem like the sound is coming from the tank (remember echo) and once one puts an ear near the exhaust flapper valve you can definitely isolate it.  The muffler is also acting as the same echo chamber that I presumed the fuel tank was.

With that noise pinpointed, does that mean the flapper vavle may be getting ready to give up the ghost?   Now that I am at home with more tools than I had in that parking lot (next to Harbor Freight, by the way, {thanks for asking} I can see if that muffler can be set a little better. Or not worry about it because the muffler rotation did not affect the flapper valve?   

.......still learning my new RT

Cheers,

If it sounds like a stepper motor hitting the stops, you're good. The actuator opens and closes the valve as part of the startup sequence. If it squeals or squeaks, not good. That would be a warranty replacement thing and is expensive because they have to replace the manifold (I think, assuming it's the same design). Best have your dealer look at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Thanks gordiet.  Is THAT a normal sound that I never really noticed or something I need to watch out for?

My '17 RS has made that noise since new and I am approaching 30,000 miles now.  I am not worried about it.

I had a '16 RS that also made the same noise for 30,000 miles. 

Frank

20 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Thanks gordiet.  Is THAT a normal sound that I never really noticed or something I need to watch out for?

I don’t think so. I haven’t seen one yet that didn’t make noise.

My 1250 RT only has 11k on it and the exhaust flapper is already making this noise. Personally I hope it fails within the warranty period so BMW can eat the cost of a new exhaust system. They should be made to pay the price for making dopey engineering decisions when it comes to designing parts, that if they fail, requires the complete replacement of an entire assembly to fix the much smaller, cheaper part. Crap like this makes cars, and some bikes, endless money pits. 

I would think getting it documented early should help with any warranty claim in the future.  Just depends on what the service tech will say about the noise, i reckon.  I have 8.800 miles on mine, so it may be a few months before I get it in for the 12 k.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, wbw6cos said:

I would think getting it documented early should help with any warranty claim in the future.  Just depends on what the service tech will say about the noise, i reckon.  I have 8.800 miles on mine, so it may be a few months before I get it in for the 12 k.

Wouldn't make a lick of difference telling the dealer. They don't keep records on customer's bike beyond the service work they've performed. I've been thinking about trying to put some anti-seize on the flap pivots, but I don't know if that's even possible. Might just burn off. I need to pull the muffler off and have a look. I'll be doing my 12k in the next few weeks.

• Like 1