IGNORED

Harley is making some big changes

fourteenfour

1 hour ago, fourteenfour said:

If I were asked ten years ago if I would own a Harley I would have laughed the question off. However they are very much different machines these days while not as fast in the quarter mile they will get to speed just fine and be comfortable all the while. Throw in that the aftermarket is ridiculous so you can make it exactly how you want it.  The only feature I think my Road Glide would benefit from flat out, an adjustable windscreen.  The stock one does well but nothing beats being able to switch it up on demand.

Harley has been rocking four valve heads for sometime now and just like BMW they water cool only the heads on their big twins. The do have VVT on the CVO tour models but the bike as I have it never felt lacking for power, it still is a fraction over four seconds to sixty but I cannot recall when that last mattered.   

Go ride a 2024 Road Glide or Street Glide... they will surprise you.   Are they for everyone, nah...  even I still want to ride a R1300RT when they come out.

It's not the bike nor the MSRP that scares me away, but the dealers where I live. Whatever you think you should spend, their ideas will be a lot more. I just don't believe enough to get fleeced or even put up with a long process designed to wear a customer down. 

• Plus 1 1

An old riding buddy of mine just picked up a new SG in the popular blue! ;) He called me early last fall and was asking about adventure touring (all the cool kids are doing it now) :rofl: so I mentioned the Pan America. His inseam couldn’t manage the PA which I think the real problem was, it was just so foreign to him. This is number four or five “street glides” for him.
I didn’t ask if he wanted to be BMWST famous so the disguise.

image.thumb.jpeg.76d59fbd31aeade59a74525f0d95b3d6.jpeg

I asked him how the heck is he going to take that down a dirt forest road? :/

• Like 2

My main issue with Harleys is the RIDING POSITION. I'll never warm up to a forward riding position; that's why they're just not for me. I rode my brother's Street Glide (a '22, I think) once, and it was way better than my other brother's older one, but I wouldn't ride one even if given to me free. Ha ha. The only one that wasn't that bad that I rode during a bike rally decades ago was a V-Rod model with 'mid-mounted controls' (not forward-mounted), but cornering clearance was still pretty bad. But at least it was a modern higher-revving V-twin DOHC engine (Porsche helped design it, for what I remember). But the current behemoths with low-revving push-rod engines and forward controls, no thank you. But I'm obviously in the minority, since they're very popular.