IGNORED

All Things Boxflyer in Ellijay - Check here for Parts, Tires, Service, Scheduling, Questions!

Indy Dave

Well dang can't make it to this event my beemer is down for now. I need to check valve clearance and timing plus replace rear tire sensor. Thank goodness for MotoScan. Waiting on BoxFlyer to reply about the cam time tools availably. 

Thank you @Boxflyer for all the stuff you did to fix the rotating valve actuating devices on my 2018 R1200RT-LC.

I hope they will continue rotating for a long time! :cool:

Also for the used front tire and front wheel seals.

Looking forward to see you at FART 2023!

Thank you Brad!

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Big thanks to @Boxflyer for laying hands on my GS.  He adjusted the cam timing and the valves.  The engine definitely sounds better and runs smoother.  He is an absolute expert on the wethead and shifcam engines and we are lucky to have his support!

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 3

A wrap up on the fund raising effort that so many of you supported...

We are able to donate $3500 to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund.

Thanks to everyone that donated items for the Raffle, or bought tickets, or assisted in the ticket sales and drawing...without each and every one of you, this might not have been such a HUGE SUCCESS!

Brad

• Like 15
  • Plus 1 3

Thanks one and all for the enthusiastic response to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund raiser that @Boxflyer put together. What an affirming response and great show of support for Brad, Mary and others. Just wow! 

• Plus 1 3
On 3/7/2023 at 8:35 PM, Indy Dave said:

1284492079_boxflyer7resizedforpost.jpg.3f450530391f1018d13da3bb3b2ef2ab.jpg

Here's a dedicated START Ellijay, GA Boxflyer Thread!

Brad will be updating this thread with information and scheduling. Post your questions, comments, etc here. 

Hi Brad, I would like to purchase the Cam Timing and Valve Clearance Tool Kit ,please advise on how to arrange this

• 3 weeks later...
MVALGIUSTI

Good morning. I'm interested in buying a DIY Cam Timing Tools for BMW R 1200 nine T model year 2014. How can I get it? I'll wait a feedback. 

Motorhead1977

Read the post immediately before yours and you'll know the initial process to use. How about posting in the introduction section with a little information about yourself and where you are?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MVALGIUSTI said:

Good morning. I'm interested in buying a DIY Cam Timing Tools for BMW R 1200 nine T model year 2014. How can I get it? I'll wait a feedback. 

The RnineT is not a wethead motor it is a camhead.  The process is entirely different does not need alignment jigs for valve lash adjustments.

11 minutes ago, TSConver said:

The RnineT is not a wethead motor it is a camhead.  The process is entirely different does not need alignment jigs for cam timing.

That's not quite true.

Shawn is correct in saying that the camhead is a different motor than the water cooled 1200 & 1250, and the Cam alignment tools are different for both the 1200 and 1250 liquid cooled engines.

Similarly, there is a separate (different) cam alignment jig for the camhead motor.

• Plus 1 1
24 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

That's not quite true.

Shawn is correct in saying that the camhead is a different motor than the water cooled 1200 & 1250, and the Cam alignment tools are different for both the 1200 and 1250 liquid cooled engines.

Similarly, there is a separate (different) cam alignment jig for the camhead motor.

What I was getting at is you do not need the alignment tool to adjust the valves.  Unlike the water head motors where you remove the entire camshaft to change the shims on the camheads you remove the followers and the cams should not need to be realigned or checked.

40 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

On a different note, has anyone heard any news about FART 2023?  Just askin' is all. TIA

We have heard about FART.    Its relevant information will be posted in the coming weeks.  Stay tuned!

I know it is at a place where I park for free

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

I know I'm planning on being at FART, with my trailer.

I'll be bringing tools and spares for CamHeads as well as WetHead/ShiftHead bikes this time.

IndyDave and I have successfully done the Cam Timing Adjustment on a CamHead with the TDC Locking Pin, the Cam Chain Tensioner and the Cam Alignment Jig, so it's similar tooling required for the CamHeads, but it's easier to change out the Hemispherical Shims...no need to disengage the cam drive or remove the cam bearing block.

Similar, but different.  The TDC Pin and Cam Alignment Jig are completely different, but the OEM BMW Cam Chain Tensioner is the same with the RH side using the same collar as the 1250 needs and no sleeve on the LH side. 

See picture above that Dave took.

Possible CamHead TechDay sessions this summer...TBA...

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
27 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

I know I'm planning on being at FART, with my trailer......

And you'll be PARKING FOR FREE! So you have that going for you. Which is nice!

• Plus 1 1
  • Haha 1
Motorhead1977

Hey Brad, now that we know my cylinder protection bars can be removed without removing the top engine bolt and I'll be at around 12k miles let's do my 12k mile service at FART. I'll sign up as soon as it's possible once that thread becomes active. 👍👍

• Indy Dave locked this topic
  • chrisolson unpinned this topic
  • chrisolson unlocked and locked this topic